Author Topic: Used Cars or New Cars?  (Read 9296 times)

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
Used Cars or New Cars?
« on: June 04, 2007, 10:36:24 AM »
I acquire nice-looking/well-performing used cars fairly often and drive them a couple times before saying goodbye. My reasoning is that the cost of acquiring them is not too high, and they're still a lot of fun to drive. And I like variety. 

But, I don't think I'd want to own (long-term) a used car, or one that has more than a certain mileage on it.  Yeah, I know I'm going to have to get a late model car(these days people drive cars a helluva lot).  Seems like there are a lot more hidden defects in cars that have been used, even slightly . . .

Hustle Man

• Getbig IV
  • What is the most common form of stupidity?
Re: Used Cars or New Cars?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 10:57:34 AM »
One wonders if there are any new cars left out there these days! The world seems to only produce sports cars anymore and everyone wants a sports car even if it started out as a dodge neon. Some mechanic in tinsel town will make it lool like a Ferrari then everyone wants to drive it or atleast download pics of it off the web!

I prefer the older models; easy to drive, no gadgets, no special paint job and they are easier to work on!
W

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 11:23:22 AM »
One wonders if there are any new cars left out there these days! The world seems to only produce sports cars anymore and everyone wants a sports car even if it started out as a dodge neon. Some mechanic in tinsel town will make it lool like a Ferrari then everyone wants to drive it or atleast download pics of it off the web!

I prefer the older models; easy to drive, no gadgets, no special paint job and they are easier to work on!

lol @ dling pics off the web.

1. It's still possible for me to get a '23, maybe even a '22.  It's probably not going to be fresh off the factory floor, but there's a fair chance that it might be in pretty pristine condition . . . especially, if you get one that's spent a lot of time getting work done on what's under the "bonnet/hood," as opposed to acquiring all kinds of flashy and useless bodywork/tailpipes, etc.

2.  Agree w you that all cars want to look like sports models these days.  you'd think a chevy malibu would know that no spoiler in the world is going to turn it into a porsche carrera.  It's just going to look ridiculous . . . especially at the beach.

3.  There are new "retro" models available, but they're usually at showrooms w crosses on top of them . . . and i've heard conflicting reports about Utah.  Some tell me that many of the cars there don't get mileage put on them until someone buys them, but then others tell me that the cars do all kinds of wild shit, going off-road, getting turbos, etc., and then suddenly they pretend to be all pristine when a buyer shows up. But i have very little first-hand experience, and what i have indicates low mileage on cars coming out of Utah.  I might have to go out there and check it out myself. 

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 12:12:53 PM »
Lime green Dodge Charger.   :D
:D Weee

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 12:24:18 PM »

what year? the old ones are fun to drive, but you better have something more reliable in your garage, 'cause the older ones are always breaking down.

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 12:31:58 PM »
what year? the old ones are fun to drive, but you better have something more reliable in your garage, 'cause the older ones are always breaking down.
2007 Daytona.

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • facebook.com/michael.arvilla
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 12:35:05 PM »
2007 Daytona.

o MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(that car is sweeeeeeet!)

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 12:37:21 PM »

o MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(that car is sweeeeeeet!)
I know  ;)

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 12:38:55 PM »

hmmm . . . so you guys are open to having more than two cars in your garage?  ???

Hustle Man

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007, 01:48:54 PM »

Nice headlights on that Charger!  Gotta love the Muscle Car in disguise, cruises fine in public but hell on the back roads! This goes to show; just because you have muscle doesn't mean you can't be a good ride!
W

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2007, 02:51:02 PM »
2007 Daytona.

Hemi? They even move the big 4x4 trucks like a rocket.

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
  • thank you Ron & Getbig, I've had so much fun
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2007, 03:06:13 PM »
My boss's classic silver convertible jag with the top down up the Don Valley Parkway in Toronto when I was 29 on the way on my own to do an advertising deal with Porshe.  (which we landed).  I wore my matching silver sunglasses with the mirrored lenses.  All I had to do was get in the fast lane.

I drove 100mph straight into their parking lot.
They tried to give us audis and vws but we held out.

xL

I love old Rolls Royces...  I've always preferred English cars now even more so because I'm back in England.  The doors and windows are a bit difficult to figure out, but hey.

Samourai Pizzacat

• Getbig IV
  • Meeoow!!
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2007, 02:15:11 AM »
I acquire nice-looking/well-performing used cars fairly often and drive them a couple times before saying goodbye. My reasoning is that the cost of acquiring them is not too high, and they're still a lot of fun to drive. And I like variety. 

But, I don't think I'd want to own (long-term) a used car, or one that has more than a certain mileage on it.  Yeah, I know I'm going to have to get a late model car(these days people drive cars a helluva lot).  Seems like there are a lot more hidden defects in cars that have been used, even slightly . . .

There's tons of very cheap Volvos and Saabs that are great reliable cars. For some reason they do really bad in the 2nd hand market when they're 3+ years old.

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2007, 03:33:00 AM »
There's tons of very cheap Volvos and Saabs that are great reliable cars. For some reason they do really bad in the 2nd hand market when they're 3+ years old.

Yugo for parts
xL

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2007, 05:31:31 AM »

Hemi? They even move the big 4x4 trucks like a rocket.
5.7-liter HEMI V8 engine with MDS, 350 horsepower, 390 lb-ft of torque, Performance-tuned dual exhaust

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2007, 05:35:47 AM »
2007 Daytona.
That car is a beauty. Lots of testosterone under that hood. I'm more of a BMW 5 Series kinda guy.  :P

PB

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2007, 05:47:44 AM »
I dislike German cars, either new or well used.
xL

fuck off horse (rhymes with Porshe

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2007, 05:56:26 AM »
torque

You talk.
xL

You walk that new Beamer or Merc off the car lot and you've lost 10 grand.  Go invest in a vintage Roller.

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2007, 06:02:06 AM »
If I still lived in America, I'd have a Jeep or a Cadillac.

Instead, I moved back to England where it's impossible to drive.  The roads were built for horses and carriages.

I'd have a Range Rover or a Jag if I could.

I do like Italian cars though.  Gimme your Ferrari Lambourgini.  Alfa?

Or your Rolls.  Bentley.  Damlier.

Yugo for parts.  Saab and Volvo off.

I once flew from England to Toronto then to NY and took a greyhound to Indiana.  I drove from Indianapolis to Daytona in a white T-Bird with the roof off.

I also had a car once we called the Blue Bomb.  Turned out it was that one Starsky had.

I gave it away.   Or left it at the airport, I can't remember.
xL

& I've never been to California or driven 150mph on the Autoban.

Samourai Pizzacat

• Getbig IV
  • Meeoow!!
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2007, 06:54:50 AM »
Yugo for parts
xL
hmm dunno, even those at the Volvo dealers, somehow they're not new enough for the managers and not sporty or family enough for other buyers so they fall in a void.

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2007, 06:59:34 AM »
ok, you got my point exactly.  Stay clear of them foreign cars. xL

Hustle Man

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2007, 07:03:24 AM »
Al, I will take a wild guess at this but do you get the feeling that the metaphorical point of this thread has been missed?
W

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2007, 07:05:43 AM »
naaa, I'm having a rant about English classic cars
xL

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2007, 07:12:50 AM »
New Car smooze car.

Question of the Day
What's Your Favorite Color... For A Car?

Yes, we're well aware that it's an insipid almost vapid question. However, some of us have been up for days. That said, we were out the other evening with a friend who could not get over how blue our car is. We tried explaining how cool World Rally Blue actually is on a Subaru, but she just called us a dork. And seeing how she is a member of the

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2007, 07:16:18 AM »
nowadays they all look the same.

xL