Author Topic: Andy Haman - RIP  (Read 22222 times)

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
Andy Haman - RIP
« on: March 20, 2021, 02:37:41 PM »
He was only 55:

https://www.latestnewssouthafrica.com/2021/03/20/american-professional-bodybuilder-andy-haman-has-passed-away

I should have worded that question differently about his 600-lb bench press video. The way I worded it made it sound like the people were being unreasonable.

I just wanted to ask "How do you respond to allegations that your 600-lb bench press was fake."

He was probably almost for sure over 450-lb for bench press. I'm not sure on 500-600+.

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
Re: Andy Haman Died.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2021, 02:43:17 PM »
All bodybuildingpersonalitie s (that are from a younger generation than Arnie) seems to be passing away like flies.

We still have Mike O'Hearn
Q

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2021, 02:47:02 PM »
Andy Haman

Colorado State - NPC, Super-HeavyWeight, 1st
Nationals - NPC, Super-HeavyWeight, Did not place
USA Championships - NPC, Super-HeavyWeight, Did not place

Masters Nationals - NPC, Overall Winner
Masters Nationals - NPC, Super-HeavyWeight, 1st

Atlantic City Pro - IFBB, Did not place
Atlantic City Pro - IFBB, Masters, 10th
Europa Supershow - IFBB, Open, Did not place

Orlando Show of Champions - IFBB, 13th

Phoenix Pro - IFBB, Open, Did not place

Magazines

2011 May   Vol 70, Num 5   IronMan                              I just saw this 5 minutes ago.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2021, 02:48:18 PM »
 ;D
F

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2021, 02:57:41 PM »
All bodybuildingpersonalitie s (that are from a younger generation than Arnie) seems to be passing away like flies.

We still have Mike O'Hearn

Unfortunately, yes. The only group that I think dies at a younger average age would be wrestlers, it seems.

I guess they have cocaine and head trauma, on top of the steroids.

Mike O'Hearn's mom died rather young, around 70, and I feel that's where he got his genetics from. Despite his clean eating, and his not being as big as most pro bodybuilders, I think O'Hearn is still taking a risk being that size.

Regarding Andy's death, here is confirmation from Andy's son Sam. I remember asking Andy about how Sam felt about the May 2011 Ironman cover they had, and Andy told me how proud Sam was of it. Sam was only 16 at the time. So I think he's only 24-25 now...maybe almost 26, but in that range.

Sam looks like he has good bodybuilding genetics too, and Andy looks like he was still carrying size. He was turning 55 this year if his date of birth claims online are accurate.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2021, 03:00:31 PM »
Very sad news.  :'(  He was always a positive and energetic character.  What exactly did he do for a living?  55 seems so young to me.  My thoughts are with his family.  May he Rest In Peace.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2021, 03:03:32 PM »
F

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2021, 03:08:43 PM »
54 years old at death.

Worth it.

BlackMetallic

• Getbig V
  • I am Jack's lack of HRT skills
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2021, 03:16:54 PM »
Very sad news.  :'(  He was always a positive and energetic character.  What exactly did he do for a living?  55 seems so young to me.  My thoughts are with his family.  May he Rest In Peace.

I had read years ago that he was a P.E teacher

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2021, 03:21:30 PM »
We don't know the circumstances but I
think of Romano's "where are the bodies?"

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2021, 03:35:10 PM »
RIP

pamith

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2021, 03:36:12 PM »
This is sad, srs  :(, he appeared to be a great guy :( RIP

pamith

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2021, 03:38:05 PM »
Bro...

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2021, 03:40:14 PM »
RIP. So young.

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2021, 03:48:06 PM »
I remember watching his videos years ago. Cool guy with a personality.

PIP

pamith

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2021, 03:53:21 PM »
He was only 55:

https://www.latestnewssouthafrica.com/2021/03/20/american-professional-bodybuilder-andy-haman-has-passed-away

I should have worded that question differently about his 600-lb bench press video. The way I worded it made it sound like the people were being unreasonable.

I just wanted to ask "How do you respond to allegations that your 600-lb bench press was fake."

He was probably almost for sure over 450-lb for bench press. I'm not sure on 500-600+.

Tbh I was very skeptical about his 600 lb bench press, he told me himself the lift was legitimate, but idk he had whipped cream in his mouth and moved the bar like it was a broomstick, but then again who knows the dude was huge, 6' tall I think and truly massive. I lifted 460 lbs at 185 lbs years ago so I guess it's possible

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2021, 03:56:54 PM »

I didn't play this video yet [I'll watch it after a current video is over], but if I recall correctly, Andy Haman got 315x20 then.

Eric Spoto got 315x43, and I've never heard of anyone get more reps than that.

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2021, 04:18:04 PM »

Great post, Van. When I watched that HBO interview with Romano in 2005 [around then], I was like "That makes sense", but it was literally just that same time when Sonny Schmidt died [2004], who was probably the "oldest" of the "Chemical Era" of bodybuilding [1992 to present], and he was the first to go.

My math brain [mind for dates/numbers] should have picked up on that, but it did not.

Then the bodies did indeed start rolling in. Kind of sad. Makes me think that your genetic freak friend in Scandinavia did the smart thing by not pursuing bodybuilding competitively.

I still maintain that wrestlers die younger than competitive bodybuilders. I would have to do a proper analysis on paper or on a spreadsheet to confirm that...but my senses tell me that wrestlers die even younger.

Depressing day. Andy was a nice guy, and I felt he looked good even past 50 [video below]. But looks like he also stayed jacked to the end...and if he was sick with cancer or something, you'd think he would have been dropping weight

Andy had four children [one son and three girls], and had been with his wife Michelle since 1983. Andy's son Sam is around 6'2" and is a bodybuilder himself [although I'm not sure if he competes].

Andy Haman also wrestled for Dan Gable in Iowa, and was a tremendous wrestler. He also lived much longer than this Andy Haman, who was born only a little earlier:

https://www.ancestry.ca/discoveryui-content/view/83843756:60525

Life is fleeting. Enjoy it - if you can. Frankly, I'd rather be in jail than on house arrest in Thunder Bay right now.

A recent-ish video of Andy Haman being interviewed by Dave Palumbo [from 04-15-2019]:

WalterWhite

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2021, 04:21:21 PM »
PIP

stavios

• Getbig III
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2021, 04:36:33 PM »
Wasn't he rich from winning the lotto too ?

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2021, 04:42:05 PM »

That was the rumor back when he burst on the scene, actually that he won it twice. I've never seen it confirmed though.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2021, 04:44:23 PM »

Then the bodies did indeed start rolling in. Kind of sad.

Even bodybuilders have taken note and are starting to sort of police eachother. Not the least because death sort of interferes with reaching your full potential. They are trying to come up with solutions to protect your CV system and trying catch issues earlier, before symptoms manifest. Question is how much you can mitigate the risk while still being successful. Remains to be seen.

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2021, 05:09:32 PM »

First in French for stavios [it's nice to see you back on here, stavios - expect a bunch of errors here, but I'm pretty sure you will understand all of this, despite the mistakes]:

stavios, pour répondre à votre question sur la loterie - je n'avais pas entendu cela.

J'étais en Immersion Française ici en Ontario, et parlais le Français jusqu'à l'âge 20 ans.  Je trouve que je peux regarder un podcast Québécois et comprendre 100%, mais ma compréhension en Français d'environ seulement 25%. Je parle ce que j'appelle le "Louisiana Cajun Français", qui est une sorte de "Français Parisien du pauvre hommes", ou du "Québecois Français du pauvre hommes".  Esque tu es d'accord pour me parler en Français par message privé ici avec toi?  Je veux obtenir mon Français fluent encore.  C'est tout dans ma tête quelque part, mais j'ai oublié beaucoup de choses [les mots Française] au cours des 19 dernières années, pas parler beacoup de Français dans cette tempes.

In English, for Anglo-Getbiggers:

stavios, first to answer your question about the lottery - I had not heard that.

I was in French Immersion in Ontario, and spoke French fluently until age 20.  I find that I can watch a Quebec podcast and understand it 100%, but my French speaking comprehension is only at around 25%.  I speak what I call "Louisiana Cajun French", which is a sort of "the poor man's Parisian French", or "the poor man's Quebec French".  Would you be ok with speaking to me in French by private message on here?  I want to get my French back.  It's all in my mind somewhere, but I've forgotten a lot in the past 19 years.

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2021, 05:21:01 PM »
Even bodybuilders have taken note and are starting to sort of police eachother. Not the least because death sort of interferes with reaching your full potential. They are trying to come up with solutions to protect your CV system and trying catch issues earlier, before symptoms manifest. Question is how much you can mitigate the risk while still being successful. Remains to be seen.

Very well said, Van.

Look what happened in the UFC when USADA testing actually started being effective - it diminished the quality of the UFC's product, and there is no way that the UFC can claim to have the world's best fighters, but somewhere in some university in Quebec City [hypothetically] there could be some 285-lb superheavyweight wrestler on juice who hits hard, who could probably beat the UFC's top fighter.

Not to say that juice makes all the difference - but it does make some difference.

Remember when you caught a cycle I had done through pictures and called me out on it, but I denied it?  LOL.  "I'm not on steroids" [yeah...technically true, but I WAS in the pictures you called me out on].  I guess I was technically not lying, but I consider deception to be a form of lying, and autistics are never going to hold onto lies.  I think lying is stupid for anyone [since liars will always eventually be caught, IMO], and I should also point out, I have a very limited history with steroid use.  I always found I drop back to 170-lb anyway, and I feel that's where my natural genetics take me.

Maybe 175-lb and 15% body fat, without sticking to an unsustainable lifestyle.  I need to be realistic.  I also think it's healthier for me to stay in the 170's.  I don't know what Andy was weighing recently [into his fifties], but probably at least 250-lb.  He could well have been 275-lb and in-shape, but not ultra-ripped, at about six feet even, or just over.

I wonder if he was just feeling fine, then all of a sudden dropped from a heart attack.

I think steroids, drugs, drinking, smoking, etc, is fine - but only if moderation is applied.  I want to smoke two light cigarettes every second Sunday evening.  I don't have strong evidence that level of smoking will hurt me, although in the video of John Meadows discussing his heart attack with his cardiologist, Meadows stated that if you smoke over 55 cigarettes in your life, you are at risk for impacting your heart's ejection fraction.  That's literally one cigarette a month for under five years.

But then...we trade off some quantity of life for some quality of life.  But dying before your 55th birthday...that is just too young, IMO.

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2021, 05:36:37 PM »
Dave Palumbo just made a video on Andy's death:

It looks like Andy had some kind of health scare last year, if this photo is any indication: