Author Topic: IroNat  (Read 292391 times)

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
Re: IroNat
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2018, 04:52:45 PM »
Forgot I have a wrist roller too.

Best forearm builder for me.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2018, 05:50:25 AM »
8/28

Standing calf raises/Reverse calf raises/Seated calf raises - 3 trisets
Wrist roller - 4 times up and down both ways

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2018, 06:58:14 PM »
Every time I do standing calf raises or leg press calf raises recently my Achilles tendon is sore for a week. Seated doesn't seem to bother it. Think the combo of running and calf exercises is too much for my tendon. I know conventional wisdom is to get a big stretch with calf training. I think I take that too far and injure myself.  Going to put a ten pound plate on the floor and use a barbell as if I was squatting for barbell calf raises. I won't be able to get that big stretch that I think is causing havoc with my tendon. 

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2018, 04:24:46 AM »
Every time I do standing calf raises or leg press calf raises recently my Achilles tendon is sore for a week. Seated doesn't seem to bother it. Think the combo of running and calf exercises is too much for my tendon. I know conventional wisdom is to get a big stretch with calf training. I think I take that too far and injure myself.  Going to put a ten pound plate on the floor and use a barbell as if I was squatting for barbell calf raises. I won't be able to get that big stretch that I think is causing havoc with my tendon. 

Yes, the running hits the calves hard.  That's probably it. Too much/overwork.

I've been using a scrap piece of 2x12 to do my calf raises on.  I do them in my power rack with a barbell on my shoulders as I don't have a standing calf machine.

A friend of mine had a knee replacement a couple weeks ago by a top surgeon.  Guy told him jogging is the worst thing you can do for your knees.  He said it just pounds your knees.  Said all these people jogging are wrecking their knees.  However, he said running fast is ok.  Just no jogging because of the pounding.

Running on hard surfaces, even walking on hard surfaces can be tough on knees.

chrisbro

• Getbig III
« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2018, 05:01:15 AM »
I like using a Barbell. use a power rack for stability.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2018, 05:16:52 AM »
Yes, the running hits the calves hard.  That's probably it. Too much/overwork.

I've been using a scrap piece of 2x12 to do my calf raises on.  I do them in my power rack with a barbell on my shoulders as I don't have a standing calf machine.

A friend of mine had a knee replacement a couple weeks ago by a top surgeon.  Guy told him jogging is the worst thing you can do for your knees.  He said it just pounds your knees.  Said all these people jogging are wrecking their knees.  However, he said running fast is ok.  Just no jogging because of the pounding.

Running on hard surfaces, even walking on hard surfaces can be tough on knees.

I don't believe avoiding exercise is the right prescription for avoiding ruining your joints. We all know people that have never done anything physical in their life that need knee and hip replacement.

At the other extreme are those who exercise too much. I believe Paul Anderson, Clarence Bass, Lou Ferrigno, Grimek and many others have had hip replacement surgery. Maybe squats are bad? Thinking about doing body weight free hand squats. Wilf Sylvester won the short class Mr. Universe in 1975 giving up the barbell squat. For that contest he did 400 reps of body weight free hand squats with leg extensions and leg curls. Not sure if it was one set or several to get to 400 reps.

I think grinding heavy lifting is worse than using a more moderate weight for volume. I could be wrong. Look at Chris Dickerson. He always trained with volume and moderate weight. His knees, back and hips are completely shot but he also did Olympic lifting when the AAU wanted Athletic points to compete in bodybuilding.

I think the majority of pure runners have healthy joints. Having come from a competitive running back ground I know guys that have run hard for 50 years. I know one thing for sure. My shoulders that I thought were bullet proof started giving me trouble when I reached around 55.  My knees that have never given me a bit of trouble are acting up. I blame the leg press machine in the commercial gym I train in. It's not built right and I think it's grinding my knees to dust. I stop using it. I only use the leg press machine in my home gym. It has the right angles and it's smooth. If my joint issues continue I will go to volume with a more controlled cadence. I still deadlift and my lower back is bullet proof knock on wood. If that goes I might go to moderate weight power cleans for higher reps like 6 reps.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: August 29, 2018, 06:17:15 AM »
I have about 4 things wrong with me right now so I do not have the answers.

8/29

Behind neck press - Sets of 3s to a top set of 2 going up in 10 lb increments starting with empty bar
Barbell curls - Sets of 3s to a top set of 3 up in 10 lb increments starting with empty bar
Tricep pushdowns - sets of 10-12 reps supersetted with barbell curls above
Wrist roller - 4 times up and down both ways
Abs - 4 exercises for 1 min each

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: August 29, 2018, 06:22:31 AM »
I like using a Barbell. use a power rack for stability.

Me too.

Thanks for stopping by, Chris.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2018, 07:51:37 AM »
8/31

Back (high bar) squats -  sets of 3 to a top set of 3, going up by 20 lbs. per set
Bench press - sets of 3s to a top set of 3, going up by 20 lbs. per set, then took off 20 lbs and did a set of 5
Behind neck lat pulldown -  3 sets of 15
EZ bar curls narrow grip - 3 sets 8-12 reps
Wrist roller - 5 times up and down both ways
Abs - 5 exercises for 1 min each

Taking a week off starting tomorrow.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2018, 09:18:30 AM »
Going on vacation?

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2018, 10:00:07 AM »
Going on vacation?

Yep.

I can use a week off too as my elbow is still bothering me a bit.  Not as bad as it was though.  The wrist curls seem to help it.

Will do a lot of walking over next week.

Still at 200 lbs.  Took a couple Naproxen the other day for inflammation of my elbow.  Read that it can make you retain water and it might have done that to me as I went to 202.  After a day removed from it I'm back to 200.

That's the first time I ever took it and maybe the last.  Usually take ibuprofen and never had water retention.  Heard Naproxen can also raise your blood pressure and the water retention is probably why.  Just making an educated guess about it.

I try not to use NSAIDs unless I can't get out of my own way.  If I'm hurt I want to know it.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2018, 03:59:34 PM »
Injuries not only hinder athletic training it's a spirit killer too. As I get older they pop up more often. The will is there but the body won't comply.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2018, 07:45:20 AM »
Injuries not only hinder athletic training it a spirit killer too. As I get older they pop up more often. The will is there but the body won't comply.

I did arms yesterday.  A couple of warmups of 50 reps each for triceps and biceps, then I did a single set of BB curls (EZ Curl bar) with 2 forced reps assited by my son. After he did the same we rested and then did rest-pause for 4 reps with a reasonable (i.e., I didn't count the seconds) raise and lower of the bar.

Next was triceps.  Pushdowns with as heavy as I could get for up to 5 reps or failure.  If I don't make the 5 reps when I can't get another I drop the weight and continue until I get my 5 rep minimum.  Immediately after I went to the dips and to failure.  Then my son did his set and we rested followed by rest-pause for 3 to 5 intervals of a single rep with as much as we could use on the pushdown where we especially controlled the descent of the weight.

Done.

The last time we did arms we did the 5 sets up to 50 reps for biceps and 10 sets up to 50 reps for triceps with very light weight.  I play the game according to how I feel both physically and mentally.  I rest betwen 24 and 72 hours between training sessions and my son is usually 24 to 48 hours.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2018, 07:26:15 AM »
I did arms yesterday.  A couple of warmups of 50 reps each for triceps and biceps, then I did a single set of BB curls (EZ Curl bar) with 2 forced reps assited by my son. After he did the same we rested and then did rest-pause for 4 reps with a reasonable (i.e., I didn't count the seconds) raise and lower of the bar.

Next was triceps.  Pushdowns with as heavy as I could get for up to 5 reps or failure.  If I don't make the 5 reps when I can't get another I drop the weight and continue until I get my 5 rep minimum.  Immediately after I went to the dips and to failure.  Then my son did his set and we rested followed by rest-pause for 3 to 5 intervals of a single rep with as much as we could use on the pushdown where we especially controlled the descent of the weight.

Done.

The last time we did arms we did the 5 sets up to 50 reps for biceps and 10 sets up to 50 reps for triceps with very light weight.  I play the game according to how I feel both physically and mentally.  I rest betwen 24 and 72 hours between training sessions and my son is usually 24 to 48 hours.

Nice going.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: September 09, 2018, 09:44:25 AM »
Back to it after a week off.  Did not gain any weight which was surprising.

Still at 200 lbs.  Walked at least a couple miles every day last week.

9/9/18

Abs - Stick twists, leg raises, stomach vacuum - 1 min each
1 arm standing db presses - 3 x 5 (3 work sets of 5)
Back squats - 3 x 5
Hang pulls - 5 x 2
Barbell rows - 3 x 5
Barbell curls - 3 x 5
Neck strap - 1 x 20
Standing calf raises/reverse calf raises/seated calf raises - 3 trisets

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #65 on: September 09, 2018, 05:26:19 PM »
Fast walking is one of the most underrated exercises. I have made changes to my body in just one week of walking fast an hour a day. Just hard to make that commitment with lifting and work responsibilities. My goal next week is to get 6 days of cardio in. Some will be hard as in running but on leg day and back day I intend to walk a half an hour on a treadmill post lifting. Something simple and non taxing like walking 3.8MPH and every quarter miles go up 1% grade incline until 30 minutes has gone by. 

In times past I get on a get lean kick and sometimes I over do it. I looked at pictures of me when I went overboard and my face looks like death and I look ill. I sound vain saying this but my face looks better when I'm not too lean.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: September 09, 2018, 06:03:27 PM »
I can only walk about 2 mph or my knee bothers me.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #67 on: September 09, 2018, 06:17:13 PM »
I can only walk about 2 mph or my knee bothers me.

Swimming burns a ton of calories. Maybe that can be your cardio.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: September 10, 2018, 04:38:02 AM »

I can walk on the treadmill around 3mph but walking on hard surfaces bothers me.  I have a treadmill.

Also biking doesn't bother me so I can do that or an Airdyne which I have.

No way could I run like you. 

I have nowhere to swim so that's out.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #69 on: September 10, 2018, 07:20:31 PM »

Not for me.  I would sink and it's rather hard to breathe under water. ;D  I can't swim. :-\

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2018, 10:31:27 AM »
9/11

Garage...
Power cleans and push presses - 5 sets of 5's and 3's
Clean pulls - 5 x 1's
Barbell curls - 5 x 5 and 1 x 3

Basement...
Calf tri-set - 3 sets of standing/reverse/seated tri-set
Dumbbell side bends - 2 x 20 reps

Usually train in my basement but I have an Oly bar and plates in my garage and trained there today so I could do overhead presses.  

Basement is a little too low for standing barbell presses.  Dumbbells I can press between the rafters.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: September 13, 2018, 08:12:20 AM »
9/12
Treadmill 30 min

9/13
Calf tri set - 3 sets max reps
Squats - 3 x 5
Bench press - 4 x 5 and 1 x 3
Barbell rows - 3 x 5
Barbell curls - 3 x 5
Neck strap - 3 x 20
Weighted leg lifts -  1 x 10

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #72 on: September 13, 2018, 09:02:06 AM »
Keep it up!

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: September 13, 2018, 09:54:56 AM »
Keep it up!

Right on, brother.

Getting some strength back.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: September 16, 2018, 08:17:40 AM »
9/16

Calf tri set - Standing calf raises/reverse calf raises/seated calf raises - 3 sets max reps
1 arm dumbbell clean and press - 3 x 5
Power pulls from knees - 5 x 2
Barbell curls -  3 x 5
Neck strap back 3 x 20 and front 2 x 20
Dumbbell side bends  - 3 x 20