Getbig Female Info Boards > Womens Physique, Bodybuilding, Wellness and Training

GLUTE/LOWER BODY TRAINING

<< < (4/101) > >>

ripitupbaby:

--- Quote from: STella on July 08, 2007, 10:29:21 AM ---Thanks, we're going to do this workout Tuesday  :)

--- End quote ---

LOL, have fun!  I can hardly walk today... :D

Arnold jr:
Good thread...a lot of good points. However, there is one thing in particular I noticed that I do disagree with...weight and reps during bulking vs. cutting.

Personally, I am a fan of lower volume style training, not HIT per say, but not extreme high volume. For example, as many warm-up sets as it takes to get to the point of 1-2 hard working sets. After that, multiple exercises 2-3 sets. In regards to lower body training, it might look something like this:

Squats: warm-up sets (which does involve incrementing up in weight) followed by 2 working sets
Hacks: 2 working sets (maybe 1 warm up set to get used to the movement)
Lying leg curl: same as hacks
Single leg ext: same as hacks and curls

Warm-up sets are done in the 10-15 rep range, working sets in the 6-8 with the occasional 4 or 5 rep set.

Now, the point of all this and the reason for my disagreement of the above statement about reps and weight during differant phases. For men or women I am a firm believer that in regards to weight training, the same exact principles should applie. For starters, to build muscle or to maintain muscle on a diet, what works for a man will work for a woman. 2nd if you've built a base of muscle using heavy weights and moderate reps, changing this scheme is not the best way to preserve your muscle IMO. The same should be done be it during a diet or a bulk...it was the heavy weight that promoted the muscle gain and it's that same heavy weight that will preserve it. You have to keep the fast-twitch fibers activated during a diet if they are going to maintain their size...and only heavy weight will activate your fast-twitch muscle fibers.

Final note, like everyone says, there are a dozen ways to skin a cat, but that does not mean there isn't an easier more efficient way to do so...just my 2c.

trab:
AJ, you sound along the lines Yates. That's best for me too.

Have to go by feel though. I wanted heavy benches this morn, but I had a wierd tweak deep in my outer
peck I couldnt work away. Time to shift gears.

Ive found heavier weight builds more lasting mass. Stuff that hangs with you thru a layoff and sick.
Pumpy light stuff can fluff up muscle (esp w/ drugs) but it dont have the integrity.
"Heavy" is relative to the person though.

Arnold jr:

--- Quote from: trab on July 08, 2007, 02:26:37 PM ---AJ, you sound along the lines Yates. That's best for me too.

--- End quote ---
No, not quite Yates, it is more volume then he ever did...it's just not Arnold or Lee Priest style insanity volume.

--- Quote from: trab on July 08, 2007, 02:26:37 PM ---Have to go by feel though. I wanted heavy benches this morn, but I had a wierd tweak deep in my outer
peck I couldnt work away. Time to shift gears.

Ive found heavier weight builds more lasting mass. Stuff that hangs with you thru a layoff and sick.
Pumpy light stuff can fluff up muscle (esp w/ drugs) but it dont have the integrity.
"Heavy" is relative to the person though.

--- End quote ---
I go by feel as well...if I'm feeling weaker for some reason, I'll do what I can to make the weight feel heavier, i.e. supper sets, drops, etc. And you're right, "heavy' is a very relative term.

ripitupbaby:

--- Quote from: Arnold jr on July 08, 2007, 12:55:08 PM ---Good thread...a lot of good points. However, there is one thing in particular I noticed that I do disagree with...weight and reps during bulking vs. cutting.

Personally, I am a fan of lower volume style training, not HIT per say, but not extreme high volume. For example, as many warm-up sets as it takes to get to the point of 1-2 hard working sets. After that, multiple exercises 2-3 sets. In regards to lower body training, it might look something like this:

Squats: warm-up sets (which does involve incrementing up in weight) followed by 2 working sets
Hacks: 2 working sets (maybe 1 warm up set to get used to the movement)
Lying leg curl: same as hacks
Single leg ext: same as hacks and curls

Warm-up sets are done in the 10-15 rep range, working sets in the 6-8 with the occasional 4 or 5 rep set.

Now, the point of all this and the reason for my disagreement of the above statement about reps and weight during differant phases. For men or women I am a firm believer that in regards to weight training, the same exact principles should applie. For starters, to build muscle or to maintain muscle on a diet, what works for a man will work for a woman. 2nd if you've built a base of muscle using heavy weights and moderate reps, changing this scheme is not the best way to preserve your muscle IMO. The same should be done be it during a diet or a bulk...it was the heavy weight that promoted the muscle gain and it's that same heavy weight that will preserve it. You have to keep the fast-twitch fibers activated during a diet if they are going to maintain their size...and only heavy weight will activate your fast-twitch muscle fibers.

Final note, like everyone says, there are a dozen ways to skin a cat, but that does not mean there isn't an easier more efficient way to do so...just my 2c.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I would totally agree with you when it comes to my upper body, I train it more that way.  I would do a chest or back workout in a manner very similar to what you laid out, and I usually keep my upper body workouts the same whether cutting or bulking.

But my lower body tends to grow really fast...I easily put on more than enough size in my lower body, and need to focus my training more on improving definition.  I find that this approach works better for my lower body.

:)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version