Author Topic: Riddick Bowe to try his hand at MMA? Why?  (Read 1603 times)

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
Riddick Bowe to try his hand at MMA? Why?
« on: November 08, 2007, 02:58:07 PM »
Riddick Bowe says he wants to be the first man to hold major boxing and mixed martial arts titles at the same time. The problem for the 40-year-old former world heavyweight boxing king, he's closer to a title in MMA -- and he's never tried the sport.

"I've been running, doing things as I was doing them in boxing," Bowe told Sherdog.com Wednesday evening at the Circus Nightclub in Hollywood, Calif., where he was on hand to announce a "tentative" MMA debut on Dec. 12.

"I guess now all I have to do is get down with the ground work," he said.

Having never been on the mat, Bowe said he plans on his first MMA-related grappling session to take place on Veteran's Day.

"I'm going to be a little anxious and what have you," Bowe said, "but I think as time progresses, I should pick it up like I pick everything else up."

In September 2004, after seven and a half years away from the ring, Bowe attempted a comeback. Following a stoppage of Marcus Rhode in the second round of his return bout, Bowe struggled mightily against journeyman Billy Zumbrun, managing just a close split decision victory. After enduring considerable punishment over 10 rounds, Bowe discontinued his comeback effort.

A two-time heavyweight world champion, Bowe reigned as undisputed heavyweight champion during his first tenure. He is perhaps best remembered for his trilogy with Evander Holyfield in which he won the first and third bouts, and his pair of bouts with Andrew Golota.

Asked why he was stepping into MMA, Bowe joked "because I ain't got nothing else to do."

The 6-foot-5 "Big Daddy" said he wasn't sure which sport -- boxing or MMA -- offered a truer test in determining the world's best fighter. It's likely he'll have a much better idea just over a month from now.
Predictions
 40/61

nuyork143

• Getbig III
  • Ill get inside your face...
Re: Riddick Bowe to try his hand at MMA? Why?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 03:14:52 PM »
He's an idiot and I hope he get pummeled!
Listen here SMALL BALLS!!

bigbalddaddy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 03:35:46 PM »
Lesnar and Bowe...LOL!!!

nuyork143

• Getbig III
  • Ill get inside your face...
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 03:53:31 PM »
And Tommy Morrison ::)
Listen here SMALL BALLS!!

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 05:24:17 PM »
He's an idiot and I hope he get pummeled!

He has suffered from the wars he's been in, I don't think he can afford to be in anymore, especially with those little ass gloves.  He shouldnt even be allowed to make any fight related decisions.
Predictions
 40/61

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 06:03:42 PM »
 could see this as Kimbos next opponent.  ::) Or maybe they will pin him against ray mercer with MMA rules.... :-X

Special Ed

• Toms
  • Getbig V
  • Special Ed Forever!
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 06:42:03 PM »
Here's what we know about Riddick Bowe:

1. He's punch-drunk.
2. He joined, then quit the Marines just days after making a big PR stunt out of it.
3. He hasn't won a big fight in ten years.
4. He was nearly finished by a bum named Billy Zumbrum in his last fight.
5. He doesn't like to run.
6. He doesn't like to train.
7. He eats junk food all the time.
8. With his gut and lack of a sit-up in 20 years, he can barely get off his back without anybody on top of him.
9. He is paying alimony to two ex-wives and child support for 8 kids.
10. He won't make it past 60 seconds with ANYONE past a blue belt in ANY discipline, including TAKE ONE'S DOUGH.
BigNationRadio.com

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 06:56:07 PM »
Here's what we know about Riddick Bowe:

1. He's punch-drunk.
2. He joined, then quit the Marines just days after making a big PR stunt out of it.
3. He hasn't won a big fight in ten years.
4. He was nearly finished by a bum named Billy Zumbrum in his last fight.
5. He doesn't like to run.
6. He doesn't like to train.
7. He eats junk food all the time.
8. With his gut and lack of a sit-up in 20 years, he can barely get off his back without anybody on top of him.
9. He is paying alimony to two ex-wives and child support for 8 kids.
10. He won't make it past 60 seconds with ANYONE past a blue belt in ANY discipline, including TAKE ONE'S DOUGH.

100% agreed. Hence why I said this could be the next kimbo fight :-X but on a serious note, who in the hell wants to see Bowe fight. How old is this fucking guy? I just can't see him doing anything other then getting ground and pounded and never returning. I guess he is counting on the 50K dollar pay day.

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 10:20:42 PM »
Riddick Bowe to try his hand at MMA?

this is the same guy who walked out on potentially millions boxing to join the marine corps (during peace time ) and not make it out of boot camp......

he's just talkin to see who will listen

20inch calves

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 09:31:52 AM »
why? he probably has no money and needs some
irongearco.com

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 06:29:36 PM »
why? he probably has no money and needs some

actually HBO Sports did a piece on him with Bryant Gumble. Bryant asked him if his last attempt was influenced financially and he said he has enough money for all his childrens children, his house was more like an estate.
i think if he was in it for the money he would continue boxing, the money is better and he would only fight once a year..and no matter how badly he loses in a boxing match it wont be as bad as getting his butt whooped in MMA.

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 07:57:22 PM »
actually HBO Sports did a piece on him with Bryant Gumble. Bryant asked him if his last attempt was influenced financially and he said he has enough money for all his childrens children, his house was more like an estate.
i think if he was in it for the money he would continue boxing, the money is better and he would only fight once a year..and no matter how badly he loses in a boxing match it wont be as bad as getting his butt whooped in MMA.

no fighter can get away with just fighting just once a year, and you potentially take several times the amount of damage boxing as you do in MMA.....

that being said riddick bowe is'nt gonna do either,he's just jawing...

if you've ever heard his slurred speach in the last 6-8 years you'd realize that he'd probably never pass a medical that a state commision would give him to get licensed

20inch calves

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2007, 10:19:04 PM »
no fighter can get away with just fighting just once a year, and you potentially take several times the amount of damage boxing as you do in MMA.....

that being said riddick bowe is'nt gonna do either,he's just jawing...

if you've ever heard his slurred speach in the last 6-8 years you'd realize that he'd probably never pass a medical that a state commision would give him to get licensed

true. i doubt he could pass a physical
irongearco.com