Author Topic: Oldtimer1  (Read 422087 times)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Oldtimer1
« Reply #275 on: November 21, 2018, 09:50:15 AM »
Leg day: No warm ups listed.

Dumbbell squat 2 x 12 95lbs dumbbells ( deep and upright. All the way down. I was breathing like a race horse)
Hack squats 2 x 12 ( again all the way down. I see guys put a million plates on this and barely do a half squat)
stiff leg dead for hamstrings 1 x 6 205lbs
Kick back machine 2 x12 80lbs ( brutal machine. Don't think this is a lady machine)
leg extension 2 x 12 150lbs
leg curl machine 2 x 12 100lbs
body weight squats 1 x 51 ( didn't know my name after)

Standing calf 2 x 12 180lbs (tried to go deep but when I really go low my tendon gives me aggravation)
seated calf 2 x 15 90lbs  (beginning to wonder if standing no weight single leg calf raises are better than machines. I went on a kick of them after reading a Tnation article and they were hard. Try it. Lock your knee and do calf raises with nothing but body weight on one foot. Most can't get 20 clean full range reps.)

4 way Nautilus neck 2 x 15

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
« Reply #276 on: November 21, 2018, 10:30:11 AM »
Single leg calf raises are hard.

Whatever your bodyweight is all on one leg.

Double that and put it on a barbell and do 2-leg calf raises.  I think it will be hard too!

Enjoy the holiday!

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #277 on: November 22, 2018, 06:57:30 PM »
Cardio day. I did 8 x 440 yards (quarter miles) Took it easy. Light cardio day.

1. 8.0 MPH 7:30 pace
2. 8.0 MPH 7:30 pace
3. 8.3 MPH 7:14 pace
4. 8.3 MPH 7:14 pace
5. 8.6 MPH 6:59 pace
6. 8.6 MPH 6:59 pace
7. 8.9 MPH 6:44 pace
8. 9.2 MPH 6:31 pace (did the last 100 yards or so at around a 6:00 minute pace)

Had Thanksgiving with the Italian wife and our family. I ate a ridiculous amount of calories today. Just a day of booze and gluttony. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #278 on: November 23, 2018, 11:00:06 AM »
Trained delt and arms today. Shocked that the gym wasn't crowded today. Maybe everyone is hung over from a two days of having a good time. I tried an exercise I haven't done in decades.  It's the seated dumbbell curl leaning back against an incline bench. So many people do this exercise. Many of the greats like Steve Reeves used it. Now I know why I haven't used it for decades. It just feels wrong for me. Maybe I'm doing something wrong that I'm not aware of. It could be it just doesn't fit my structure. 

I had the usual gym observations. Why do people go to the gym to hang out and talk?  Zero exertion.  Zero conditioning happening. One unusual thing was with the owner is also a personal trainer. Most people who go to trainers are clueless. He's training now a guy who appears to be in really good shape. Why did this guy hire a rep counter?  Most of his clients look like they would be exhausted trying to run around the block.This guy looks in great shape. Just weird.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #279 on: November 23, 2018, 02:42:07 PM »
Trained delt and arms today. Shocked that the gym wasn't crowded today. Maybe everyone is hung over from a two days of having a good time. I tried an exercise I haven't done in decades.  It's the seated dumbbell curl leaning back against an incline bench. So many people do this exercise. Many of the greats like Steve Reeves used it. Now I know why I haven't used it for decades. It just feels wrong for me. Maybe I'm doing something wrong that I'm not aware of. It could be it just doesn't fit my structure. 

I had the usual gym observations. Why do people go to the gym to hang out and talk?  Zero exertion.  Zero conditioning happening. One unusual thing was with the owner is also a personal trainer. Most people who go to trainers are clueless. He's training now a guy who appears to be in really good shape. Why did this guy hire a rep counter?  Most of his clients look like they would be exhausted trying to run around the block.This guy looks in great shape. Just weird.

"Personal Training" is out of control. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #280 on: November 23, 2018, 06:51:23 PM »
"Personal Training" is out of control. 

One female personal trainer is the worst I have ever seen. She picks machines on a whim.  Never corrects their atrocious form. She talks to them through ever single rep about any topic at all like vacations, tv shows and about who they are dating. No exertion is going on. Truth be told this 45 or so year old isn't in good shape. She is just thin. No muscle tone. Instead of teaching her clients how to think and train them self she does the old trainer trick of confusion. Make sure every single workout is completely different so they remain reliant. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #281 on: November 26, 2018, 10:03:45 AM »
Trained back and chest today. Felt weak.  Way too much alcohol, calories and lack of sleep. I have to get back on track. Tonight going to bed early.  Going for my first ever massage today. My wife goes and talked me into it. She told me the woman that does it is fantastic. Hope I don't get turned on.  ;D. Said she gives a one hour massage from the bottom of your feet to the top of your head.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #282 on: November 26, 2018, 11:10:43 AM »
She must be ugly or your wife wouldn't let you go.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #283 on: November 26, 2018, 11:40:31 AM »
it took someone on this board to make my stubborn ass change a long process of figuribg my stomach issues,i read what you went through ,i wast dying inside but felt crappy every day around my meals due to protein powder i was us8ng for yrs and yrs same one but it wasnt digesting anymore well ,i would make shakes,mix it in greek yogurt you name it .it took months to figure out,

Did you switch to another brand or give up protein power altogether? What about premix protein shakes including those made from vegetable proteins?

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #284 on: November 26, 2018, 12:46:16 PM »
She must be ugly or your wife wouldn't let you go.

She was so amazing I would ask her out on a date if I wasn't married. Never had a massage before. One hour of her massaging every inch of my body. Sorry for getting in touch with my feminine side.  ;D  I have nothing to judge it against being my first time.  All I can say is wow. Tipped her $20 bucks. No, there was no happy ending. This was a real legit therapeutic message.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #285 on: November 27, 2018, 11:18:23 AM »
Cardio day. 6 x 880 yards.

Last half in the high 6 minute mile pace. Hit the heavy bag hard. Really had to gut out this workout. Felt exhausted but glad I got it in.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #286 on: November 28, 2018, 10:50:27 AM »
Trained legs today. Had an interesting conversation with a girl working out. She is a black belt and owns a self defense dojo with her husband. She gave digs to the UFC saying they are terrible strikers. She said jui jitsu guys concentrate too much on ground game and not enough on stand up. She also said that there are many techniques not allowed. I told her if they were allowed it wouldn't change anything.  I just walked away shaking my head. Delusion in martial arts runs deep the same way it runs in bodybuilding. I thought UFC #1 settled how much BS traditional martial arts were. 

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #287 on: November 29, 2018, 04:11:19 AM »
Trained legs today. Had an interesting conversation with a girl working out. She is a black belt and owns a self defense dojo with her husband. She gave digs to the UFC saying they are terrible strikers. She said jui jitsu guys concentrate too much on ground game and not enough on stand up. She also said that there are many techniques not allowed. I told her if they were allowed it wouldn't change anything.  I just walked away shaking my head. Delusion in martial arts runs deep the same way it runs in bodybuilding. I thought UFC #1 settled how much BS traditional martial arts were. 

Did you bow when you exited the conversation, showing proper respect?

Thankfully you did not upset her or she might have killed you with her one finger death touch.  ;D

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #288 on: November 29, 2018, 09:44:50 AM »
I know I'm a broken record here. 6 x half miles for cardio day.

2 x 7.6 MPH (7:54 pace)
2 x 7.8 MPH (7:42 pace)
1 x 8.0 MPH (7:30 pace)
1 x 8.7 MPH (6:54 pace)

Hit the heavy bag for a couple of rounds. Included some knee strikes. Tomorrow is delts and arms. I think an ultimate goal is to get all 6 half miles in the 6 minute range pace. I don't know if that's a realistic goal at my age and weight.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #289 on: November 30, 2018, 10:36:15 AM »
Delt and arms:

Clean and military press 3 x 4 135lbs (stayed upright and brought the bar all the way down to press it out)
Dumbbell standing delt press 1 x 12 45lbs
Dumbbell laterals 2 x 10 30lbs
Machine delt laterals 2 x 10 70lbs then 80lbs on the last set.
Rear delt machine 2 x 10 90lbs
barbell shrugs 2 x 10 250lbs

weighted dips 2 x 10 25lbs
two arm one dumbbell behind the neck tricep 2 x 10 75lbs
traditional tricep pushdowns 2 x 12

Alternate bicep dumbbell curl 2 x 8 45lbs
scott barbell curls 2 x 10
scott dumbbell curls 2 x10

forearm wrist curls 2 x 25 95lbs
reverse pulley curls 2 x 12

ab coaster 1 x 40 60lbs
machine crunches 2 x 23 100lbs.

Gym was packed for some reason. So many regulars there. I feel like I have to say hello to everyone as I walk around the gym.  I like to work out and keep to myself but it's gotten to the point where I know everyone. I chat but briefly. I know it's rude but I'm keeping a rhythm to my workout and I sometimes I have to walk away from some people that go to the gym to talk.  

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #290 on: December 01, 2018, 04:26:10 PM »
Got on the treadmill today for a cardio session. Ran about 200 yards and said fuck it. Just couldn't face another day on the hamster wheel. Next time I run it will be outdoors by the ocean or nice trail.   I had  5 days of hard workouts in a row. Taking the weekend off. Talked to a real old timer.  He made me feel good about taking the day off. Basically said listen to your body. If you can can say you hit it hard five days in a row then don't look back at a missed cardio session. I think it was Bill Pearl who said if you make your workouts hellish then you will start missing days. Yates said something a little different. He said in effect make the workouts hellish but make sure you have days to recover. This is my unplanned recovery day.

Went home and had family over for dinner. Drank 3 beers. My son in law got my son on face time. He's in the Army Airborne. Turns out he said he will fly in during Christmas. Can't wait.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #291 on: December 03, 2018, 04:25:39 PM »
I have a month on my commercial gym membership left. Going to work out at home for awhile. Getting tired of the gym scene. I also stupidly want to see if I can bench again with my bad shoulder. Sounds vain and shows my insecurity but I don't want to be seen with 135lbs on the bar in public.  That's what I would have to start with.  It's amazing that dumbbells don't bother my shoulder to the outrageous extent a barbell does. It seems I just hit a sweet spot by twisting my wrist to where my shoulders don't protest.

Might stop this journal for awhile. It's not like more than two people read it.  ;D

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #292 on: December 03, 2018, 06:11:24 PM »
I have a month on my commercial gym membership left. Going to work out at home for awhile. Getting tired of the gym scene. I also stupidly want to see if I can bench again with my bad shoulder. Sounds vain and shows my insecurity but I don't want to be seen with 135lbs on the bar in public.  That's what I would have to start with.  It's amazing that dumbbells don't bother my shoulder to the outrageous extent a barbell does. It seems I just hit a sweet spot by twisting my wrist to where my shoulders don't protest.

Might stop this journal for awhile. It's not like more than two people read it.  ;D

Yes, beside me and you there is nobody else.

Careful with the shoulder.  Take time to re-develop flexibility and attachment strength .

Me, I'd start with an empty bar and go up by small amounts over several months.

135 is too much.

You can still do the heavier dumbbells while doing that.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #293 on: December 03, 2018, 06:33:43 PM »
56...Shoulder Day

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #294 on: December 04, 2018, 06:09:59 AM »
Great training video. I never sit for delt presses. I find it turns slightly into a chest press. I also go all way down and don't stop when humerus bone is parallel to the ground. It limits the weight used but I always try to do an exercise in the hardest way and not the easiest.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #295 on: December 04, 2018, 07:25:34 PM »
Two rules that I tried to keep in mind today. One is from Physics 101. A load moved a greater distance is more work than a load moved a shorter distance. Trying to keep range of motion in mind with all exercises. Second is from Kinesiology 101.  Try as we can in bodybuilding the muscle never works in isolation. Any athletic endeavor muscles work in a connected fashion. I often wonder if so called isolation exercises are needed to improve athletic function? The bodybuilding mentality of needing many different exercises for a body part might truly be only beneficial for cosmetic bodybuilding.

Trained Chest and arms. For a couple of years now I have two bad shoulders but one is really gone. In bad times I can barely move my arm but it has seemed to dissipate with self physical therapy. My orthopedic surgeon said I have a slap tear. He said if you are going to have one then I have it at the best possible place looking at my MRI. What ever that means. He advised against surgery but to try physical therapy first. He said if continues to be a problem he would use surgery. I trust this guy. He specializes in the shoulder down. He is not a jack of all joints when it comes to orthopedic surgery.

When I went to him I was in horrible pain and could barely move my arm. The result from the injury was that certain favorite exercises I couldn't do anymore. The bench was out. The press behind the neck was a staple. It was finished. Jerking a weight over head as in push presses and Olympic jerks were out. Every once in awhile I get the urge to try to bench again. It normally ends up in bad shoulder pain and a quick abandonment of the the exercise.  Here I am again trying to do it again. This time I'm lifting really slow with my cadence. In the past I always worked up to around 275-300lbs in my sets with my fitness/bodybuilding type workouts. Now 135lbs feels slightly painful. Here I go again. Only an idiot keeps doing the same things hoping for a different outcome.   ;D

No warms listed. Trained at home.

Bench press with a bar 2 x 6 165lbs then 1 x 1 190lbs, 200lbs and 205lbs (shoulder held up. Slow negative and positive to hopefully avoid injury. So far so good)
Incline barbell press 2 x 6 140lbs (all the way down touching the top of the chest. )
Dumbbell flies 2 x 10 48lbs (at my basement gym I can make odd weights like 48lbs)
Push ups 2 x max (Pushups don't bother my shoulder at all.)

Traditional tricep pushdowns 2 x 10
Skull crushers 2 x 8 (another exercise I abandoned due to elbow pain. Went with a slow cadence and it felt good)
reverse grip holding a handle tricep extensions 2 x 12

Barbell curl 2 x 10 95lbs
Alternate dumbbell curl 2 x 8 43lbs
Scott dumbbell curl 2 x 10

Wrist curls 2 x 20 95lb
reverse wrist extensions using a D.A.R.T. 2 x 15

Situps on a incline board 1 x 25
Weighted crunch 1 x 50 5lbs behind head
pulley crunches 2 x 30

Ivanko gripper 2 x 20

It was nice training at home again. I have a great sound system with a satellite radio. Typing this at night after work. My bad shoulder is sore but nothing major.

Tomorrow is legs. Going to get back to barbell squats. Haven't done them is a long time.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #296 on: December 05, 2018, 10:21:42 AM »
Good reporting.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #297 on: December 05, 2018, 03:45:17 PM »
Trained legs today. Training at home for a change. Feels great. I have been doing the majority of my training in a commercial gym the last 3 years. Going to stick to home training for awhile. Truth be told I can do everything I do in a gym at my home gym.  Doing all kinds of new things like using a barbell for chest instead of dumbbells. Later in the week I will use power cleaning instead of deadlifting. Today I went back to barbell squatting instead of dumbbell squatting. Wow, don't use an exercise for awhile and you sure need a break in period.

1.Leg Press 2 x 12 four plates a side ( I can use a lot more plates if I did shallow leg presses like the majority do with the high back board so the knees hit you before your legs are really bent. I really bend my legs with the back board low. Maybe too deep for knee health. Partials have it's place but don't brag about using 6 -7 plates a side if you are going only about a 40% to 50% of the range of motion.
2.Squats: I did 5 sets 225 to 250lbs I tried to go deep and a moderate cadence. Felt a little off doing them again. I was pre fatigued from the prior leg presses. Dumbbell squats are a killer but it felt good to get back to the barbell.
3.Leg extensions 2 x 20
4.Seated leg curls 2 x 15
5.Standing leg curls 2 x12
6.Body weight no apparatus free squats 1 x 53 reps (Really think this is a great finisher going deep. From the point of conditioning and pump. I remember Wilf Sylvester won the short Mr. Universe in 1975 doing free hand squats along with leg extensions/ leg curl. Here was one of the best bodybuilders on the planet and he used body weight squats. Reported he did 400 reps on leg day. Not sure if it was one set or multiple.

One dumbbell side bends 1 x 15 90lbs
Hanging leg raise 2 x 23
Hip ups 1 x 25 (lie on back and push hip area toward the ceiling with your legs straight up in the air)

Standing calf 2 x 15
Seated calf 2 x 15

Neck helmet 1 set all sides with a traditional head strap for the back of the neck.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #298 on: December 06, 2018, 10:33:43 AM »
Ran two mile out side. Didn't set the world on fire with the miles in the 8 minute something range. Hate winter running outside. It creates so much laundry with all the crap you have to wear.  Hit the heavy bag after. Going to make a tweak to my training. Going to try to do cardio 6 days a week. In order to do this I'm going to have some very easy cardio days after lifting. Something like a slow slug two mile run after lifting. On days off I will try to hit it hard. Best laid plans often don't work out but I will see how it goes.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #299 on: December 07, 2018, 02:43:05 PM »
Trained back and delts today. Ugh. I did power cleans light after not using them for a long time. They were jamming my bad shoulder. Kept it light to hope to work back into using 225lbs for my sets like I use to. Maybe I'm delusional.

Power cleans: 5 sets of 3 from 135lbs to 170lbs. Wow, ashamed about the weight but I will work on it.
M.A.G bar pulldowns 2 x 10
Low pulley rows with a V handle seated 2 x 12 170lbs
Dumbbell row 2 x 10 80lbs
Reverse grip pulldowns 2 x 10

Shoulder press standing with dumbbells 2 x 10 50lbs. (all the way down. No half reps where the humerus is parallel to the ground. Sure I could use around 80lbs if I used that range of motion)
Dumbbell delt laterals 2 x 10 30lbs
Pulley laterals 1 x 10
Rear delt laterals 2 x 10 35lbs
Barbell shrugs 2 x 10 250lbs

Stiff leg deadlifts off a block 2 x 6 210lbs
Weighted hyper extensions 2 x 15 25lbs ( I use a plate behind my head and the old fashion horizontal back extension bench. I've noticed a lot of guys using the 45 degree hyper bench with a barbell in their hands. Two problems I see with this. The resistance near the drop drops off because the way the 45 degree bench is made. Second using a barbell in your hands decreases the resistance due to the leverage being in your favor. Use a plate behind your head or a barbell on your upper traps Yates/Mentzer style. I was curious about the barbell style with the bar in my hands in the 45 degree back hyper extension bench. I used 135lbs for my reps. I'm telling you the horizontal style hyper bench with a 25 lbs plate behind my head is harder.

ab wheel roll out 2 x 23
Pulley crunches 2 x 30

Opened the pantry to get my gross protein powder. Slammed the door. Went in the fridge and grabbed a nice German beer. That's more like it.