Author Topic: Oldtimer1  (Read 421748 times)

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
Re: Oldtimer1
« Reply #700 on: September 17, 2019, 02:12:19 PM »
Trained legs today. I was going to do cardio after but I could barely walk and was shot. Thinking about going to a whole body routine so I can have more days to do cardio.  I often heard for decades that a whole body routine is for beginners. I think from my experience it's absolutely the hardest routine you can do. That's why I often start one then switch back to a split. I have to stop training to exhaustion with whole body routines. Maybe make it a 6 workout peak. Meaning for an exercise example I will do something like workout one will be with 100lbs, Workout two will be 105lbs.  Workout three is 110lbs. Ending with workout six at 125lbs. The first workout with 100lbs will be easy but I won't add any extra reps. I will use a slow cadence and a full range of motion to make it harder. Workout 6 will be to failure. So if I do three workouts a week then that week will be weight increase 1, 2 and three. The next week will be 4,5 and 6. I guess this all sounds confusing but in my head it's not.  After 6 progressions then all the exercises are changed. Who knows I've been here before and bailed on whole body exercises. After this week it's a South Carolina Myrtle beach vacation and I'm not lifting even though a great gym is down the block.

I do know I need a break and the vacation from lifting will do me good.

My experience is when using the right routine, a 3 day a week weight training program works and progression is possible. Just vary your movements and keep the number of sets and reps reasonable enough that you leave the gym feel great. If you don't end the workout until completely wiped out and ready to drop, you will end up missing days because hitting the gym becomes drudgery.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
« Reply #701 on: September 17, 2019, 03:00:57 PM »
Here's some ideas for full-body workouts:

The Minimalist
Front squat
Standing calf raise
Bench press
Pull-up
Upright row
Incline dumbbell curls
Tricep pushdowns
Deadlift or Grip (Deadlift once per week)
*3 times a week / 3 sets of 8-10 reps per exercise.

Leroy Colbert
Squat
Leg curl
Standing calf raise
Seated calf raise
Bench press
Pull-ups
Incline dumbbell flyes
Barbell row
Upright row
Rear dumbbell lateral
Incline dumbbell curls
Tricep pushdowns

Rotation Method
With either above start with a different large bodypart each workout.
Always do biceps/triceps/deadlift/grip last.
Don't superset.

Vince Gironda 8 x 8
Front Squat
Standing calf raise
Bench to neck
Lat pulldown
Upright row
Incline dumbbell curl
Tricep pushdowns
*At least 2 days off between workouts.
8 sets of 8 reps per exercise/ 30 second rest between sets.

The Ultra Minimalist
Squat
Overhead press
Pull-ups
Dips
Deadlift (once per week)
*3 times a week / 3 sets of 8-10 reps.

George Eiferman Routine

Standing calf raise
Hack squat
Bench press
Dumbbell flyes
Db lateral raises
Db alternate press
Db row
Barbell curl
Db concentration curl
Wrist curl
Db side bends
Sit-ups 3 x 8-12
*All 3 sets of 7-10 reps except sit-ups.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #702 on: September 17, 2019, 03:17:57 PM »
Thanks so much for posting these routines. I copied and saved them. Headed back to the gym soon, maybe as soon as tomorrow. I was looking for some workout ideas.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #703 on: September 17, 2019, 03:33:12 PM »
Thanks so much for posting these routines. I copied and saved them. Headed back to the gym soon, maybe as soon as tomorrow. I was looking for some workout ideas.

The trick with full-body routines is not to do too much.

The Vince Gironda routine is only meant to be done for a short time like a couple weeks.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #704 on: September 17, 2019, 04:36:09 PM »
The trick with full-body routines is not to do too much.

The Vince Gironda routine is only meant to be done for a short time like a couple weeks.

Of the routines you listed, Vince's was my least favorite.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #705 on: September 17, 2019, 06:34:32 PM »
Thanks for the input.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #706 on: September 18, 2019, 01:28:53 PM »
Back day:

Pulldowns 1 x 14 (Up right back and all the way down)
Low pulley lat rows 1 x 14 180lbs
Single dumbbell on bench row 1 x 12 85lbs
Hammer strength pulldown 1 x 12

Deadlift 1 x 6 315lbs.  (Controlled negative)
Weighted hyper extensions 1 x 20 25lbs plate behind head

Ab wheel roll out 1 x 27
Ab crunch machine 1 x 22 150lbs

I want to write more but my dog is humping his bed and my wife is yelling at him. She can be a boner killer sometimes.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #707 on: September 18, 2019, 01:49:32 PM »
Back day:

Pulldowns 1 x 14 (Up right back and all the way down)
Low pulley lat rows 1 x 14 180lbs
Single dumbbell on bench row 1 x 12 85lbs
Hammer strength pulldown 1 x 12

Deadlift 1 x 6 315lbs.  (Controlled negative)
Weighted hyper extensions 1 x 20 25lbs plate behind head

Ab wheel roll out 1 x 27
Ab crunch machine 1 x 22 150lbs

I want to write more but my dog is humping his bed and my wife is yelling at him. She can be a boner killer sometimes.

Tell your wife that dogs only do what comes naturally and to leave him be. Does she think the dog should adhere to her idea of human etiquette?  ;D

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #708 on: September 18, 2019, 03:14:47 PM »
Tell your wife that dogs only do what comes naturally and to leave him be. Does she think the dog should adhere to her idea of human etiquette?  ;D

She also yells at me when I hump my bed.  ;D

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #709 on: September 19, 2019, 09:45:10 AM »
Delts and triceps: Work out took about 35 minutes.

Military clean and press 1 x 9 115lbs ( took the bar all the way down to the upper chest)
Dumbbell laterals 1 x 14 28lbs
Single arm pulley laterals 1 x 15
Rear delt laterals 1 x 12 35lbs ( seated and bent over)
Barbell shrugs 1 x 16 250lbs

Two arm dumbbell behind the head triceps 1 x 15 75lbs
Traditional tricep pushdowns 1 x 14
Reverse grip tricep one arm pulley 1 x 12
Dips 1 x 10 ( went deep and was weak from doing triceps prior)

Floor crunch 1 x 53 10lbs plate behind by head
Pulley crunches 1  x 30

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #710 on: September 19, 2019, 09:48:10 AM »
Delts and triceps: Work out took about 35 minutes.

Military clean and press 1 x 9 115lbs ( took the bar all the way down to the upper chest)
Dumbbell laterals 1 x 14 28lbs
Single arm pulley laterals 1 x 15
Rear delt laterals 1 x 12 35lbs ( seated and bent over)
Barbell shrugs 1 x 16 250lbs

Two arm dumbbell behind the head triceps 1 x 15 75lbs
Traditional tricep pushdowns 1 x 14
Reverse grip tricep one arm pulley 1 x 12
Dips 1 x 10 ( went deep and was weak from doing triceps prior)

Floor crunch 1 x 53 10lbs plate behind by head
Pulley crunches 1  x 30
IS THIS WORKING SET 'S OR DO YOU DO MORE SETS ,,JUST 4 SETS FOR DELTS??OR IS THIS YATES STYLE.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #711 on: September 19, 2019, 06:53:41 PM »
IS THIS WORKING SET 'S OR DO YOU DO MORE SETS ,,JUST 4 SETS FOR DELTS??OR IS THIS YATES STYLE.

One work set to failure. If I need a warm up set I will do it. For leg presses I do two non taxing warm up sets then one set to failure. Getting back to the previous work out I clean and press the empty bar for about 8 repts then get to the real work set to failure. Dumbbell laterals I use two 5 pound plates for 8 reps in a non taxing warm up. Some exercises get zero warm up because I'm already warmed up. Another example is deadlifts when I use Yates style. I do my deadlifts after lats so I'm pretty warmed up. I use 225lbs for three reps then load it to 315lbs for my failure set. Presently stuck at 6 reps. I'm sure if I did it at the start of my back warm up I could 8 reps or more.

I treat warm up sets as a sometimes necessary evil when doing Yates style. If I need it I will do it but for most exercises I am already warmed up from previous exercises so none is needed. I don't always work  out like this. Normally I do two work sets per exercise. I never consider a non taxing warm up as a set. They are too easy.  

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #712 on: September 24, 2019, 06:03:35 AM »
On vacation this week. No lifting. Just some light cardio.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #713 on: September 24, 2019, 07:21:50 AM »
Enjoy!

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #714 on: September 24, 2019, 04:01:59 PM »
Enjoy!

Thanks, in Myrtle beach. The ocean is hot and the beer is cold. I spend 2 to 3 hours in the ocean every day. I think it was around 88 today with pure sun. Doing only runs and body surfing for exercise.  Italian wife made King crab legs, shrimp, yellow rice with crab cakes. Having a Stella now after dinner. She has chocolate cake waiting. Looking out my balcony 22 stories up at the pool area.  Blasting Dean Martin on my balcony. I wonder if the pent house resident will complain?

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #715 on: September 25, 2019, 06:19:27 PM »
Here's some ideas for full-body workouts:

The Minimalist
Front squat
Standing calf raise
Bench press
Pull-up
Upright row
Incline dumbbell curls
Tricep pushdowns

Thank you for posting these routines.

-Started the above routine last Friday. It's a pretty fast and easy workout. I felt exhilarated at the finish....could have done more, but didn't. Repeated it on Monday and added 10 minutes on the stationary bike as a warm up. Gonna hit the gym tomorrow with the same routine including the warm up. Oh, and I also added ab crunches at the end both days. Just sore enough that a two day recovery seems like a good idea. I suppose after I get back into it for awhile, I can hit the gym every other day.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #716 on: September 26, 2019, 05:06:49 AM »
Thank you for posting these routines.

-Started the above routine last Friday. It's a pretty fast and easy workout. I felt exhilarated at the finish....could have done more, but didn't. Repeated it on Monday and added 10 minutes on the stationary bike as a warm up. Gonna hit the gym tomorrow with the same routine including the warm up. Oh, and I also added ab crunches at the end both days. Just sore enough that a two day recovery seems like a good idea. I suppose after I get back into it for awhile, I can hit the gym every other day.

Glad to hear it.  The tendency to add more and more exercises to a full-body routine is a common one.  If you start to lose that "exhilarated" feeling that is most likely the reason.

Intensity will also increase as you get stronger and use more weight.  You may find recovery taking a bit longer as a result.

I train 3-days per week and find the 2 consecutive days off at the end very welcome.  However, I often do not have the best workouts after those two days off.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #717 on: September 26, 2019, 12:52:43 PM »
Glad to hear it.  The tendency to add more and more exercises to a full-body routine is a common one.  If you start to lose that "exhilarated" feeling that is most likely the reason.

Intensity will also increase as you get stronger and use more weight.  You may find recovery taking a bit longer as a result.

I train 3-days per week and find the 2 consecutive days off at the end very welcome.  However, I often do not have the best workouts after those two days off.

I'm off to the gym now for my minimalist workout.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #718 on: September 27, 2019, 09:26:54 AM »

To get started, I took two days of rest between training days. I think I could cut that down to one day off between workouts and two on the weekend.

I've been lifting for all of my adult life. And yet, it feels like I am just a beginner. This is probably because, I'm still learning to make adjustments to accommodate the effects of being 75 years old. Even with excellent health, I cannot do what I could when I was in my 30's.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #719 on: September 30, 2019, 11:35:08 AM »
Back and chest. Haven't lifted in 9 days due to vacation. Feeling spent. I was going to do volume but I want one more week of my regular lifting before moving to an endurance based lifting schedule.

Pulldown 2 x 10 140lbs Up right back and all the way down and out. I know many lean back to make it a half a row but I like to do this strict with a slow cadence.
Seated Lat cable rows 2 x 12 170lbs
Dumbbell rows off a bench  2 x 10 85lbs (A couple of weeks ago I hurt a rear delt doing these. Tried to do these nice and controlled. )
Hammer pulldown 2 x 10

Dumbbell flat bench 2 x 8 80lbs (all the way down. No half upper arms parallel to the floor reps)
Incline dumbbell inclines 2 x 8 70lbs ( all the way down and slow)
Flat flies 2 x 10 50lbs
Cable flies 2 x 10
Push ups 1 x max

Deadlifts 2 x 4 315lbs
Weighted hyper extensions for lower back 2 x 15 25lbs plate behind head. Used the old fashion horizontal bench and not the new 45 degree ones where the resistance disappears at the top.

Ab wheel roll out 2 x 22
Ab machine crunch 2 x 20 150lbs

Gym observations: Same characters as always. I like to keep to myself. There's a medical doctor who trains there who is a bull and we chatted a bit. He's a regular guy. No airs about him being an MD.  

Saw a guy benching 485lbs. He wore a sling shot bench shirt I think it's called. He also had a guy put a board on his chest.  Benching has gotten strange today.

Another guy uses the gym owner as his trainer. He is a real HIT type guy. Really strong and I suspect he's a user. Uses very limited exercises. He might use three or four exercises a session if I got it right.

I see the same heavy set woman in the gym every time I am there. She lifts hard but really dogs cardio. Her time would be better spent doing cardio. I'm sure Ironate would disagree.

I know this sounds vain.  When I lift I don't wear my wedding ring. It cuts in to my finger with some lifts. Again this sounds vain but more than a few women are giving me the I'm available vibe when they chat with me.

The gym is with no doubt a germ haven.  Just think every bar you touch has been touched by maybe 75 people in the last 24 hours. One surely was a guy that has his finger up his nose at a  traffic light. Another is a guy who doesn't wash hands after wiping his ass. Then there's the guy who wipes his running nose with his hand.  I bet there is a guy who scratches his fungus itchy feet before putting his socks on for the gym.  I could go on.  I alcohol my hands as I leave the gym then wash my hands when I get home.  

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #720 on: September 30, 2019, 11:41:25 AM »
This is one of the reasons I wear gloves when working out. Unfortunately, the tips of my fingers are still exposed. There are germs everywhere you go and on everything you touch, not just at the gym.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #721 on: September 30, 2019, 12:39:29 PM »
All those germs will keep your immune system strong.  To get more benefit lick your fingers.  :D

The fat lady needs to eat less.  No more Oreos! You should tell her.  ;)

I take my wedding ring off before training too.  Otherwise it would get bent.  Of course I train at home so there are no strange women to fend off.

They make silicone wedding bands so you can keep the women off you while training in public gyms. Might be a good idea to keep yourself out of trouble :)

https://www.amazon.com/ThunderFit-Silicone-Rings-Singles-Wedding/dp/B06XC41JJW/ref=sxin_4_osp48-7ca7441b_cov?ascsubtag=7ca7441b-9b4c-49eb-a877-6e5297b43521&creativeASIN=B06XC41JJW&cv_ct_id=amzn1.osp.7ca7441b-9b4c-49eb-a877-6e5297b43521&cv_ct_pg=search&cv_ct_wn=osp-search&keywords=silicone+wedding+band&linkCode=oas&pd_rd_i=B06XC41JJW&pd_rd_r=d0e6faea-524b-4b79-b552-3a44c10f4b34&pd_rd_w=WhWlB&pd_rd_wg=HtWlK&pf_rd_p=53eff971-6e12-4016-9864-b6dfd929b2b3&pf_rd_r=VKKZDVMCDCBA9NSQ7V60&qid=1569872244&tag=spyonsite-20

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #722 on: September 30, 2019, 07:59:04 PM »

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #723 on: October 01, 2019, 06:43:08 PM »
Cardio today: 

Walked at  3.8 MPH and every quarter mile lap I increased the grade (elevation) 1%.  I started at zero percent grade and ended at 12% going back to zero for the final quarter mile. On a side note I found walking on an incline really helped my one bad Achilles. I think it stretched it out under load. Been about 5 months or so since I injured it. I don't even know anymore how long it's been since that foolish day of doing 40 yard wind sprints that I fucked it up. It got better but it always bugged me. I was hobbled at first but it got better but never 100%.

I was doing the incline fast walking on vacation too. I got off the treadmill and the calf felt normal. Thought it would swell up later but typing this 10 hours later it still feels good.

Treadmill fast walking work out: Typed it out just to make it clear what I did.

3.8 MPH at zero grade for a quarter mile
3.8 MPH at 1% grade for a quarter mile
3.8 MPH at 2% grade for a quarter mile
3.8 MPH at 3% grade for a quarter mile
3.8 MPH at 4% grade for a quarter mile
3.8 MPH at 5% grade for a quarter mile
3.8 MPH at 6% grade for a quarter mile
3.8 MPH at 7% grade for a quarter mile
3.8 MPH at 8% grade for a quarter mile
3.8 MPH at 9% grade for a quarter mile
3.8 MPH at 10% grade for a quarter mile
3.8 MPH at 11% grade for a quarter mile
3.8 MPH at 12% grade for a quarter mile
3.8 MPH at 0% grade for a quarter mile

Hit the heavy bag after for a couple of rounds. Left the gym soaking wet in sweat.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #724 on: October 02, 2019, 06:51:24 AM »
Take a shower.