Getbig Misc Discussion Boards > Religious Debates & Threads

Prayer and Religion in Public Life

<< < (2/195) > >>

Dos Equis:

--- Quote from: Decker on April 12, 2007, 11:21:29 AM ---I know that I can sound like a humorless dickhead on these boards.  I try not to be. 

--- End quote ---

Not at all.  I'm just a goof.  I'm the one who keeps a fake cockroach in my office drawer that I have planted around the office more than once.   :)  I live in a house full of kids and I'm an overgrown kid myself (according to my kids).  A lot of what I say is tongue in cheek. 

Colossus_500:

--- Quote from: Beach Bum on April 12, 2007, 11:04:07 AM ---I had an eventful day yesterday.  Attended and participated in a number of meetings with different organizations/entities.  Most of these meetings involved prayer:

1.  Honolulu City Council Session:  It began with a devotional and prayer by a local pastor.  The City Council members are overwhelmingly liberal Democrat (about 8 out of 9).  I was very surprised.   

2.  State Government Entity:  Attended a meeting that did not include prayer.  I would have fallen off of my chair.   :) 

3.  Nonproft Religious Entity:  The meeting began and ended with prayer.  I was asked to give the closing prayer (I hate doing that.)  These prayers were expected. 

4.  Professional Society:  Attended an annual dinner of professionals.  Not a religious group at all.  The meeting began with a prayer.  The room was overwhelming liberal.

What struck me was what an integral part prayer is in our public life.  I bet the ACLU disapproves.  (Sorry, couldn't resist.   :))   

--- End quote ---

And the ACLU claims to not have an agenda against Christianity.   ::)  Gimme a break!  You're so right, bro.  The ACLU's beef is not with religion per se, but more specifically against Christianity. 

OzmO:
Here's what's happening:

We are confusing a defense lawyer's job of defending a criminal with the assumption the Defense lawyers supports the criminal.

That's what why some of us say the ACLU is fighting Christianity.

They are not fighting it.  They are protecting our rights and not allowing a religious organization to  influence the country through or in the government.

Colossus_500:

--- Quote from: OzmO on April 12, 2007, 12:28:29 PM ---Here's what's happening:

We are confusing a defense lawyer's job of defending a criminal with the assumption the Defense lawyers supports the criminal.

That's what why some of us say the ACLU is fighting Christianity.

They are not fighting it.  They are protecting our rights and not allowing a religious organization to  influence the country through or in the government.

--- End quote ---
Then why are there so many lawsuits like the one in New Mexico for city named after the "Three Crosses", or the military gravesite that has the cross on it?  Or how about the frivolous lawsuits all over the country being threatened if a building/city doesn't take down their cross, or the schools that have "Easter" or "Christmas" parties?  You can see where I might come up with the notion that they are out to do away with anything that has to do with Christianity.  Yes?

Decker:

--- Quote from: Colossus_500 on April 12, 2007, 12:33:36 PM ---Then why are there so many lawsuits like the one in New Mexico for city named after the "Three Crosses", or the military gravesite that has the cross on it?  Or how about the frivolous lawsuits all over the country being threatened if a building/city doesn't take down their cross, or the schools that have "Easter" or "Christmas" parties?  You can see where I might come up with the notion that they are out to do away with anything that has to do with Christianity.  Yes?

--- End quote ---
B/c Christians wrongly assume that, since the US is a Christian Country, christians should be able to use government to further the ends of the Christian religion.

Sorry for the 'mind-reading' but I'm paraphrasing why these cases arise.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version