Author Topic: Fedor comments on UFC suitation  (Read 7145 times)

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
Re: Fedor comments on UFC suitation
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2009, 09:31:11 AM »
are you about done with this little 'fedor sucks" tantrum you're having...

the whole subject of "fedor" is starting to make you look like 10 year old idiot..

You are in this thread with me...what does that say about yourself :o

Did you even read my last post..I said Fedor will most likely win Barnett.

Are you the 10 year old idiot that can't read ;D

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2009, 09:17:08 AM »
He doesn't want to sell his soul to that piece of shit dana white, I commend him for it. The UFC offered him a very strict one sided contract, they want to own his image, rights, and exclusivity, which is b.s Fedor loves his annual Sambo world tournaments, it's his hobby, Basically dana doesn't want Fedor to be seen anywhere doing anything unless it's making the UFC money. I hate him for that, he's not a businessman, a businessman will compromise when/where needed, dana is all one sided and just about the $$$$

The most important thing Fedor revealed about the UFC conditions was: if you keep winning the contract is automatically extended (without option to say no and sign somewhere as a free agent) but as soon as you have one loss the UFC can dump you on your ass... how fair is that shit !?

I agree and I wouldn't want to see the UFC monopolizing MMA.

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2009, 09:26:46 AM »
I agree and I wouldn't want to see the UFC monopolizing MMA.

The UFC signs exclusive contracts just like MOST professional sports. The athlete is always an investment.
I don't get how this is a monopoly? The UFC has brand recognition,what if Fedor fights outside of the UFC and gets beat or injured?
Their investment just lost value didn't it.

Look at Tim Sylvia...he fought outside of Affliction and got humiliated by Mercer and got dropped from the card on Aug.1.
The UFC is smart by making sure the Sylvia situation does not happen by signing exclusive contracts.

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2009, 09:31:31 AM »
The acronyms UFC and MMA are now becoming interchangeable. It was sold for a few million $'s years ago and now its projected worth is over a billion. It's slowly and surely taking in all the best fighters. 

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2009, 10:16:13 AM »
The acronyms UFC and MMA are now becoming interchangeable. It was sold for a few million $'s years ago and now its projected worth is over a billion. It's slowly and surely taking in all the best fighters. 

Nothing wrong with this at all...Again, this is what has happened in all successful sport organizations and everyone is fine with it. We have the NFL,MLB,NHL.NBA,etc....what is wrong with having one hugely successful organization in MMA with all the best fighters?

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2009, 10:24:08 AM »
Nothing wrong with this at all...Again, this is what has happened in all successful sport organizations and everyone is fine with it. We have the NFL,MLB,NHL.NBA,etc....what is wrong with having one hugely successful organization in MMA with all the best fighters?

I don't want Dana White controlling it all. I like the different flavors, with the organizations in Japan and here in the US.

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2009, 11:37:56 AM »
I don't want Dana White controlling it all. I like the different flavors, with the organizations in Japan and here in the US.

He does not control it ALL. He just controls the 'big leagues' and the others orgs are free to do as they wish as 'amateurs'.
I think it is great that there are different orgs, it also challenges the UFC to be bigger and better all the time.
Great for MMA as a whole.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2009, 09:00:24 AM »
Compare this to the bullshit "rebels" like Lee Priest, who sign first and then cry about it.

Mr. Zimbabwe

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2009, 10:58:01 AM »

I don't get how this is a monopoly? The UFC has brand recognition, what if Fedor fights outside of the UFC and gets beat or injured?
Their investment just lost value didn't it.

Why can't an injury clause be negotiated between Fedor and Dana White? Something along the lines of:

"Fedor, just guarantee us 2 fights a year and feel free to fight in Sambo, etc.  However ... IF you get injured/lose fighting elsewhere you will then lose a chunk of your salary for not honoring your 2 fight commitment to the UFC."

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2009, 12:18:22 PM »
Why can't an injury clause be negotiated between Fedor and Dana White? Something along the lines of:

"Fedor, just guarantee us 2 fights a year and feel free to fight in Sambo, etc.  However ... IF you get injured/lose fighting elsewhere you will then lose a chunk of your salary for not honoring your 2 fight commitment to the UFC."

It doesn't work like that. Here is an example:

Let's say Fedor destroys Brock or whoever the UFC champion is, then while champion Fedor fights in sambo and destroys his knee and will be out a year or more. That leaves the UFC with a second place champion.
Fedor could very well get injured the same way while fighting in the UFC, but at least they will still be making money on the fight he gets injured in.
In Sambo they take a double loss.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2009, 01:02:57 PM »
wasn't randy beating brock until he got caught?

E
E

Mr. Zimbabwe

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2009, 01:31:00 PM »
It doesn't work like that. Here is an example:
Let's say Fedor destroys Brock or whoever the UFC champion is, then while champion Fedor fights in sambo and destroys his knee and will be out a year or more. That leaves the UFC with a second place champion.
Fedor could very well get injured the same way while fighting in the UFC, but at least they will still be making money on the fight he gets injured in.
In Sambo they take a double loss.

I respect your argument.... but didn't this already happen?  Mir broke Tim Silva's arm and won the UFC title belt.  Mir then broke his leg on his Harley Davidson (not a UFC event) and we had an "Interim champ" while he healed?

"The show must go on" ... and Dana had others fight for the UFC title.  Mir healed and returned to challenge for the title. Throw in the media hype ....and you have even more PPV buys?

So, surely the same would happen for Fedor... if (big IF) he injured himself in Sambo, etc? The clause I mentioned earlier is just smart business .... it benefits Dana .... and Fedor?  They both win financially?  It seems so simple to me?

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2009, 01:47:40 PM »
hypothetically,given Fedors reputation,if he were to win the UFC title and get hurt in a SAMBO competition,I think if dana were to propose and "interim" heavyweight title again it would'nt go over like the last one did....

in fact, I think most fans would consider it a slap in the face to be expected to pay for a card that offered an interim heavyweight title fight again...

I know I would...

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2009, 02:25:55 PM »
I respect your argument.... but didn't this already happen?  Mir broke Tim Silva's arm and won the UFC title belt.  Mir then broke his leg on his Harley Davidson (not a UFC event) and we had an "Interim champ" while he healed?

"The show must go on" ... and Dana had others fight for the UFC title.  Mir healed and returned to challenge for the title. Throw in the media hype ....and you have even more PPV buys?

So, surely the same would happen for Fedor... if (big IF) he injured himself in Sambo, etc? The clause I mentioned earlier is just smart business .... it benefits Dana .... and Fedor?  They both win financially?  It seems so simple to me?

I respect yours as well...nice to see someone with some sensible opinions :)

The UFC's fear of an interim champ is not the issue. Mir also broke his leg in a non-fighting related freak accident. Can happen to anyone although rare. Fedor competing in another combat sport is greatly increasing his chances of getting hurt. Why would the UFC want to INCREASE his chances of getting hurt.

Fedor is a different situation entirely. The interim title really isn't the issue with Fedor. The UFC has built a big name in the UFC. Fedor is not really a big name to the casual UFC fan. By signing Fedor they are really investing in him so that one day he can be popular. For them to invest and build up Fedor's name and then have him use that same name to support another org is not good business sense.  That is the UFC's issue.

The main issue is they don't want another org to use his name after they spend a lot of money to get him in the UFC. Besides, if Fedor signs with the UFC his popularity will instanly increase.

Check this interview out with Lorenzo Fertitta on Fedor starting with question 2.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/1/10-questions-for-lorenzo-fertitta-18516

Interested in hearing your thoughts.

Mr. Zimbabwe

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2009, 02:32:03 PM »
hypothetically,given Fedors reputation,if he were to win the UFC title and get hurt in a SAMBO competition,I think if dana were to propose and "interim" heavyweight title again it would'nt go over like the last one did....

in fact, I think most fans would consider it a slap in the face to be expected to pay for a card that offered an interim heavyweight title fight again...

I know I would...

Good point, Geo.... so then Dana simply has to accomodate by charging $29.99 for the PPV instead of $49,99.    And Dana keeps Kongo, Cain and Carwin in the wings as a possibly needed "fill-in" ...ready for any such possible injury on the main card?  At least Dana KEEPS the card and makes some money as he offers a "discount" to fans?  Fans will still buy the "discount" PPV ... they want to see at least Brock and/or Fedor fight someone in the main card?

It's better than losing the WHOLE card like the Fedor-Barnett Affliction card, yes?  (What a disaster that has been?) And ..... once again... everyone's happy...?

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2009, 03:34:13 PM »

Fedor is not really a big name to the casual UFC fan.

there is no "casual ufc fan" these days...

that term went in to the shitter about a year ago...

anyone interested in MMA now knows the history of MMA, and knows Fedor is perceived as the best in the world and that the UFC heavy's will be incomplete until fedor shows up

Mr. Zimbabwe

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2009, 03:41:35 PM »

The main issue is they don't want another org to use his name after they spend a lot of money to get him in the UFC. Besides, if Fedor signs with the UFC his popularity will instanly increase.

Check this interview out with Lorenzo Fertitta on Fedor starting with question 2.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/1/10-questions-for-lorenzo-fertitta-18516

Interested in hearing your thoughts.

This is a good discussion.  Thanks for the link ... I have nothing but respect for the Fertitta brothers.... they bought the UFC for $2million and after being in the hole for minus 40$mill they now have it positioned at $1.5BILLION.   How can you not respect that?

That said .... I think Fertitta should admit that the UFC needs Fedor as much as Fedor needs the UFC?  It's not one-sided at all?  Fedor will fade into oblivion without the UFC ...and the UFC Heavyweight title will never gain credibility (nor HUGE PPV numbers) without Fedor?

Since Fedor wants a little freedom to fight Sambo a compromise should be met?  As Fertitta said... "write in a clause where 90-120 days before a UFC commitment Fedor cannot fight Sambo and risk injury"?

Fedor is not like any other MMA fighter.... This has to be signed down the middle. And everyone wins?

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #67 on: July 24, 2009, 04:20:54 PM »
This is a good discussion.  Thanks for the link ... I have nothing but respect for the Fertitta brothers.... they bought the UFC for $2million and after being in the hole for minus 40$mill they now have it positioned at $1.5BILLION.   How can you not respect that?

That said .... I think Fertitta should admit that the UFC needs Fedor as much as Fedor needs the UFC?  It's not one-sided at all?  Fedor will fade into oblivion without the UFC ...and the UFC Heavyweight title will never gain credibility (nor HUGE PPV numbers) without Fedor?

Since Fedor wants a little freedom to fight Sambo a compromise should be met?  As Fertitta said... "write in a clause where 90-120 days before a UFC commitment Fedor cannot fight Sambo and risk injury"?

Fedor is not like any other MMA fighter.... This has to be signed down the middle. And everyone wins?

I agree the UFC needs Fedor as much as he needs them. I truly don't think that sambo is the only issue. I think Fedor wants to fight in dream as well if he wants...but I can't be certain on that.

Either way, as a fan, I want to see ALL the best fighters in one org...UFC or not. I also would like to see Fedor come to the UFC, beat Brocks ass and show everyone what a real HW Mixed Martial Artist is.

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #68 on: July 24, 2009, 04:23:11 PM »
there is no "casual ufc fan" these days...

that term went in to the shitter about a year ago...

anyone interested in MMA now knows the history of MMA, and knows Fedor is perceived as the best in the world and that the UFC heavy's will be incomplete until fedor shows up

I disagree with you on that. There are plenty of fans that just watch UFC unleashed and UFC ppv's that know nothing about Fedor or anything outside of the UFC.

HDPhysiques

• Getbig III
  • "Hi-Def Bodies in Hi-Def Video"
« Reply #69 on: July 25, 2009, 01:13:17 AM »
Either way, as a fan, I want to see ALL the best fighters in one org...UFC or not. I also would like to see Fedor come to the UFC, beat Brocks ass and show everyone what a real HW Mixed Martial Artist is.

Only problem with that line of thinking is............  Big Brock is too good, too big, too strong, too skilled, even for Fedor these days.
JOIN HDPhysiques!!!!

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: July 25, 2009, 10:24:29 AM »
Only problem with that line of thinking is............  Big Brock is too good, too big, too strong, too skilled, even for Fedor these days.

Valid point.

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #71 on: July 25, 2009, 10:27:09 AM »

Brock wont even hold on to the belt long enough to defend it against Fedor.
DAWG

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2009, 10:27:54 AM »
Brock wont even hold on to the belt long enough to defend it against Fedor.

Who do you see taking it? Seriously?

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #73 on: July 25, 2009, 10:51:15 AM »
There's a lot of people in here saying how Fedor would just walk in and beat Brock.  Are these the same people who said Shogun and CroCop would dominate when they came to the UFC?

Petrucci

• Getbig IV
  • Team Kratos!!!
« Reply #74 on: July 25, 2009, 12:00:12 PM »
There's a lot of people in here saying how Fedor would just walk in and beat Brock.  Are these the same people who said Shogun and CroCop would dominate when they came to the UFC?

the argument is still the same, the problem is that they didnt fought on UFC the same way they used to fight on Pride...why, well there are a lot of theories...

of course, if Fedor comes to UFC fighting like a b*tch he will loose bad, but he is too inteligent to do such a mistake...a 60% Fedor will dominate UFC easily
!