Author Topic: Drop the bodybuilding diet?  (Read 14395 times)

Firemuscle

• Getbig V
Drop the bodybuilding diet?
« on: November 01, 2010, 06:54:48 PM »
 About 6 months ago I just got totally sick and tired of following the high protien, high calories bodybuilding diet and I said "Fuck it, i'm not gonna do this any more."

So I just started eating a standard 3 balanced meals a day with some snacks. No supps, no protein powders. None of that bullshit.

I kept on lifting hard and kept everything else the same.

What changed?  I didn't lose any strength or muscle mass. But I DID lean out a lot. It seemed like the extra protien and calories I was consuming were just going into fat for me, not muscle.

So now, i'm eating healthier, eating less, spending less money on food, i'm leaner and I look a lot better......

I think that for a natural lifter. You should just lift hard and eat healthy, and your genetics will take you to your peak regardless of what you eat. And if you overeat, it'll just go toward fat.

All this force feeding and bulking is good if you are on steroids. But for a natural it'll just get you chubby.

Lift hard, be healthy, your genetics will take you where you wanna go.

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
Re: Drop the bodybuilding diet?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 06:55:53 PM »

Why can't you just NOT overeat but still do a bodybuilding diet?

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 06:57:18 PM »
About 6 months ago I just got totally sick and tired of following the high protien, high calories bodybuilding diet and I said "Fuck it, i'm not gonna do this any more."

So I just started eating a standard 3 balanced meals a day with some snacks. No supps, no protein powders. None of that bullshit.

I kept on lifting hard and kept everything else the same.

What changed?  I didn't lose any strength or muscle mass. But I DID lean out a lot. It seemed like the extra protien and calories I was consuming were just going into fat for me, not muscle.

So now, i'm eating healthier, eating less, spending less money on food, i'm leaner and I look a lot better......

I think that for a natural lifter. You should just lift hard and eat healthy, and your genetics will take you to your peak regardless of what you eat. And if you overeat, it'll just go toward fat.

All this force feeding and bulking is good if you are on steroids. But for a natural it'll just get you chubby.

Lift hard, be healthy, your genetics will take you where you wanna go.

This. Genetics=Everything.
I hate the State.

Firemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 06:57:54 PM »
Why can't you just NOT overeat but still do a bodybuilding diet?

Well that's basically what i'm doing now. Eating normal foods and normal portions, but trying to get slightly higher protien intake in.

I'm talking more about bulking diets and consuming massive amounts of protien. For a natural lifter this is usually NOT a good thing to do.

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 07:01:16 PM »
how much protein do u eat each day? like per meal?

whats a typical lunch for u?
w

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 07:04:35 PM »
Well that's basically what i'm doing now. Eating normal foods and normal portions, but trying to get slightly higher protien intake in.

I'm talking more about bulking diets and consuming massive amounts of protien. For a natural lifter this is usually NOT a good thing to do.

Well...  I'm Notorious for going overboard with off-season bulking...  

In 2004 I competed in April at 176.....  By December 2004 I was 250 lbs.  A few months later I was 265....

In 2006 I dieted for four months and went from 260 to a competition weight of 180 lbs.

In 2007 I didn't go over 215, and competed at 160 after four months of dieting!

Today I'm 235 (at about 22% bf), and I know I should be around 215-220ish....  I wanna compete at 180 next year

My point is that...

Its important not to go overboard on either side of the spectrum, one of my favorite quotes that I ever heard from Skip LaCour, he said "In the off-season I don't eat to get fat, and I don't eat to get lean, I eat to gain muscle"

It seems that 12-15% is an ideal bf for gaining muscle....  once you get to 10% and below, its really tough to add muscle, then again I've seen and heard of people that can pull it off, but its not easy, your training, diet, supplement intake really needs to be on point!

Firemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 07:06:46 PM »
how much protein do u eat each day? like per meal?

whats a typical lunch for u?

For lunch today I ate white rice, a pile of guppie fish, some grass with olive oil on it, hot cabbage and pears. They serve that shit at this little restaurant next to my work.

For dinner tonight I plan on going and eating fried pork, rice, and vegetables with my friends.

I don't count grams of protein. But I used to always drink milk between meals, munch on dried squid and beef jerky for snacks, slam a few raw eggs, eat a chunk of peanut butter, etc. And all that extra protien and calories just went to fat for me.

Now I just eat 3 meals and 1 snack. And it's doing me right.

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 07:09:37 PM »

In 2004 I competed in April at 176.....  By December 2004 I was 250 lbs.  A few months later I was 265....

In 2006 I dieted for four months and went from 260 to a competition weight of 180 lbs.

Today I'm 235 (at about 22% bf), and I know I should be around 215-220ish....  I wanna compete at 180 next year

My point is that...

Its important not to go overboard on either side of the spectrum, one of my favorite quotes that I ever heard from Skip LaCour, he said "In the off-season I don't eat to get fat, and I don't eat to get lean, I eat to gain muscle"

It seems that 12-15% is an ideal bf for gaining muscle....  once you get to 10% and below, its really tough to add muscle, then again I've seen and heard of people that can pull it off, but its not easy, your training, diet, supplement intake really needs to be on point!

I agree.

Bulking diets are good for easing the pain of dieting constantly and make it easier to put on muscle.

If you want to stay lean all year round it's dumb to bulk, but when you know how to diet and how to use the rebound effect after a few months dieting, there's nothing wrong with high protein clean bulks with additional cheat days.

Firemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 07:12:46 PM »

My point is that...

That's all good man. Those are some great points you make and good info.

But you are obviously on steroids. I'm just a natty lifter trying to max my genetics out for now. So it's a different ball game.

And PLEASE, don't respond trying to claim you're natural.

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 07:15:02 PM »

But you are obviously on steroids. I'm just a natty lifter trying to max my genetics out for now. So it's a different ball game.

lol, that's the easiest way to bitch out.

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 07:18:14 PM »
For lunch today I ate white rice, a pile of guppie fish, some grass with olive oil on it, hot cabbage and pears. They serve that shit at this little restaurant next to my work.

For dinner tonight I plan on going and eating fried pork, rice, and vegetables with my friends.

I don't count grams of protein. But I used to always drink milk between meals, munch on dried squid and beef jerky for snacks, slam a few raw eggs, eat a chunk of peanut butter, etc. And all that extra protien and calories just went to fat for me.

Now I just eat 3 meals and 1 snack. And it's doing me right.
thx
w

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 07:18:44 PM »

LOL oh god here we go again  ::)  Believe whatever you want bro, but you'll always be wrong!

disturbia

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2010, 07:18:48 PM »
you ate guppies? damn whats that like?

Firemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2010, 07:19:55 PM »
lol, that's the easiest way to bitch out.

Bitch out of what?

I just know a steroid user when I see one. And when you're on steroids the training and diet strategy changes a lot.

You are a fucking girl. Every one of your posts smells like tuna.....

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2010, 07:21:15 PM »
Bitch out of what?

I just know a steroid user when I see one. And when you're on steroids the training and diet strategy changes a lot.

You are a fucking #girl. Every one of your posts smells like tuna.....

Thanks for the compliment  :D

Firemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2010, 07:21:53 PM »
you ate guppies? damn whats that like?

They just smother it in spice so you mostly taste the spice. They taste hard and crispy, fishy. They are good. Lots of protien, and calcium because you eat the whole skeleton too.

A couple days ago I ate dog meat soup. That shit is good.

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2010, 07:24:35 PM »
Bitch out of what?

You are a fucking #girl. Every one of your posts smells like tuna.....

Wow, that was brutal...  ::) ::) ::)

I just love it when people tell of others that are more experienced with some BS excuse because they can't go that far themselves.

You should listen to BigAch, no matter what you think about his steroid use or not use, because he knows a lot more about dieting than you ever will.

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2010, 07:26:48 PM »

I just love it when people tell of others that are more experienced with some BS excuse because they can't go that far themselves.

You should listen to BigAch, no matter what you think about his steroid use or not use, because he knows a lot more about dieting than you ever will.

Thanks man, much appreciated  ;)

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2010, 07:28:14 PM »

No prob.

Damn you look like shit when you're fat.  ;D ;D

Firemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2010, 07:28:18 PM »

I've been lifting and into bodybuilding for over 15 years, i've been to tons and gyms, met tons of people, and been around the block plenty of times.

I know natural, and I know unnatural.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2010, 07:28:41 PM »
I don't eat or train like a bb cause I'm not a bb.....pretty simple stuff.

Firemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2010, 07:30:01 PM »
I don't eat or train like a bb cause I'm not a bb.....pretty simple stuff.

So what kind of regamin do you follow then?

Firemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2010, 07:31:11 PM »

Natural my ass.

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2010, 07:33:07 PM »
I've been lifting and into bodybuilding for over 15 years, i've been to tons and gyms, met tons of people, and been around the block plenty of times.

I know natural, and I know unnatural.

I don't doubt that you've been training for a long time and met tons of people at numerous gyms!

You just said you don't eat like eat like a bodybuilder because you're not one, but you are making a judgement on someone who's been eating like a bodybuilder for nearly 10 years, its been my life man! Eating, training, competing!

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2010, 07:35:30 PM »
So what kind of regamin do you follow then?

Whatever life allows me to.  I try and eat clean the majority of the time, but I don't worry about 8 meals a day, unnecessary drugs and supplements, food measuring, charting, tupperware containers and food every 3 hours.  I'm a normal person working a normal job, raising a normal family, etc.....I train as much as I'm able and eat as best I'm able to.  I'm not in my early twenties in my bb obsession years anymore....that's a time for kids and daydreaming.