Author Topic: How many miles can you run for? Running is 10x harder than weight training.  (Read 8716 times)

Method101

• Getbig V
The heart is the most important muscle in the body how many of you actually train it instead of fearing it will make you small to do hard cardio (lol pathetic).

I can run a half marathon in under 2 hours, that's 13.1 miles I doubt the unnatural drug abusers on this forum or the IFBB "athletes" could make it further than 1 mile without passing out.

Most "meatheads" think that the "iron game" is hard and Dorian trained "hard". Weightlifting is EASY a stroll in the park compared to endurance sports. I have a lot more respect for an ultra marathon runner's training than the easy social event that is the "training" of bodybuilders.

nextgen

• Getbig II
its not harder, it's just different, i guarantee the world marathon champion (whoever that is) couldn't hang with kai greene or yates through one of their workouts.. just as kai or yates couldn't run a marathon, why be negative, they are different skills..

it's like saying michael jordan is a terrible athlete because he can't hit a homerun or some crap

deceiver

• Getbig IV
  • onetimehard appreciation team
Actually long distance running is considered unhealthy to the heart by research. Light cardio and weight training is advised instead.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
I believe long distance running burns muscle. I tend to keep my runs under 3 miles.

deceiver

• Getbig IV
  • onetimehard appreciation team
I believe long distance running burns muscle. I tend to keep my runs under 3 miles.

Every long distance runner I know is unhealthy, skinny fat twink with bad posture and fucked up joints.

Method101

• Getbig V
its not harder, it's just different, i guarantee the world marathon champion (whoever that is) couldn't hang with kai greene or yates through one of their workouts.. just as kai or yates couldn't run a marathon, why be negative, they are different skills..

it's like saying michael jordan is a terrible athlete because he can't hit a homerun or some crap
Weight training involves sitting down for 3-4 minutes in between sets joking around, this does not occur in serious endurance training lol, they are different I agree, weight training is easy.

It is very possible to be able to run long distances and be a very respectable weightlifter. Most Rugby players for example are fit and strong. This should be what we all strive for and respect.

Method101

• Getbig V
Every long distance runner I know is unhealthy, skinny fat twink with bad posture and fucked up joints.
pft most getbig members don't look anywhere near this good and this guy runs over 100 miles. Marathons for breakfast lol.

nextgen

• Getbig II
Weight training involves sitting down for 3-4 minutes in between sets joking around, this does not occur in serious endurance training lol, they are different I agree, weight training is easy.

It is very possible to be able to run long distances and be a very respectable weightlifter. Most Rugby players for example are fit and strong. This should be what we all strive for and respect.

actually it doesn't... you are referring to lazy bbers, real hard working bbers rest less than 60 seconds between sets, you are exaggerating to try to make a worthless point, arnold and co in the 70's were not lazy trainers bud, you think they don't earn any respect?

Method101

• Getbig V
actually it doesn't... you are referring to lazy bbers, real hard working bbers rest less than 60 seconds between sets, you are exaggerating to try to make a worthless point, arnold and co in the 70's were not lazy trainers bud, you think they don't earn any respect?
you seem to have missed all the parts of pumping iron were they are laughing and flirting with women while in the gym.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
try running and weight training at the same time, I hear it's killer.
Or just do the Ronnie Coleman lunge with 135 pounds on your back in 100+ degree weather.

nextgen

• Getbig II
you seem to have missed all the parts of pumping iron were they are laughing and flirting with women while in the gym.

you seem to forget pumping iron was dramatised by Arnold to attract attention to himself and to bbing, i don't remember lou ferrigno laughing and flirting with women in his basement gym (probably because he was actually training instead of acting up for the cameras)

Costanza

• Getbig IV
  • ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ Team 5 plates a side on uprights
I believe this is Rami's area of expertise, will wait for him to give his view.

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
Ultra Marathon runner David Goggins is a very tall strong guy too:

I run, cycle or swim atleast one of each every month....I like my body to be functional and yes the heart is very important seeing as I have no aspirations to compete or anything.
S

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
I don't run long distances, I stick to a measly 5k run 3-4 times a week.

Running Bangkok best time this year was 24:18 at a temperature of about 32c/90f and about 65% humidity. Two weeks before that in LA 22:39 for the same distance at 13c/53f and 6% humidity.

I'm not particularly fast for a 44 year old but I do like to challenge myself and 5k in the Bangkok weather is still a good workout.

I tried longer distances - went to do a 20k run a couple of months ago - got 12k before my shin splints hurt and I had to hobble all the way home.

I do love running - especially out where I live in Bangkok - hundreds of kms of canals with canal paths and a fair amount of off road places to run. I tend to stick to the Muslim areas when running though - on account of there being zero stray dogs in those areas.

Running isn't easy - but when you get into it, it's as if your legs are disconnected from your upper body and they are just doing their own thing. You get into a state where it would take conscious effort to stop running and zero effort to carry on. It's almost like you are just floating along. Very odd.

MONSTER_TRICEPS

• Getbig V
The heart is the most important muscle in the body how many of you actually train it instead of fearing it will make you small to do hard cardio (lol pathetic).

I can run a half marathon in under 2 hours, that's 13.1 miles I doubt the unnatural drug abusers on this forum or the IFBB "athletes" could make it further than 1 mile without passing out.

Most "meatheads" think that the "iron game" is hard and Dorian trained "hard". Weightlifting is EASY a stroll in the park compared to endurance sports. I have a lot more respect for an ultra marathon runner's training than the easy social event that is the "training" of bodybuilders.

If weightlifting is so EASY then why the fuck do you still fail at lifting 2 plates?  :D

Untwinking thread:

Europe

• Getbig IV
Like Method & Skorpio said..
Dean Karnazes and David Goggins are alphas! A good inspirational source for me!

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Brad Harris old School....  ;)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
as a Young man powerful too...

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
try running and weight training at the same time, I hear it's killer.
Or just do the Ronnie Coleman lunge with 135 pounds on your back in 100+ degree weather.

Haha, supersetting dumbbell curls, rows and presses during a crisp one mile jog!  :D

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
Running is overrated. My wife was averaging 50 miles/week (not a misprint) before she realized that it wasn't doing anything for her. Now she only runs 6 miles/week and it is all sprints uphill. She replaced the running with more lifting real weights and HIIT-style training. In 2 months, the change in her body comp was drastic. Shedding fat and new muscle growth.

She's very pleased and now evangelizes against distance running.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
The ripped muscular distance runners shown in this thread are either genetic anomalies or on gear. Most long distance runners are skinny fat.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
Running is overrated. My wife was averaging 50 miles/week (not a misprint) before she realized that it wasn't doing anything for her. Now she only runs 6 miles/week and it is all sprints uphill. She replaced the running with more lifting real weights and HIIT-style training. In 2 months, the change in her body comp was drastic. Shedding fat and new muscle growth.

She's very pleased and now evangelizes against distance running.

True in her case but if you've already built a solid muscular base substituting a workout session or 2 a week with a good 3 mile run could be beneficial.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
True in her case but if you've already built a solid muscular base substituting a workout session or 2 a week with a good 3 mile run could be beneficial.

Well, yes. But 3 miles isn't what I was talking about. I was talking about longer distance running. My wife used to run marathons and do half-triathlons. Now she just laughs at the thought and does her deadlifts.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
Well, yes. But 3 miles isn't what I was talking about. I was talking about longer distance running. My wife used to run marathons and do half-triathlons. Now she just laughs at the thought and does her deadlifts.

Yeah there is no comparison in that regard. Especially for women.

Deadlifts and squats work wonders for a woman's physique.

jamesjenkinsfitness

• Getbig II
  • instagram @jamesjenkinsfitness

That makes it different, not harder. That's like me saying that power lifting is harder because a marathon runner doesn't deadlier 600lbs,  while weighing less than 180. Or that if I do weighted dips with 6 plates a marathon runner cant. So it's harder. It's apples to oranges. Thanks for making me laugh on the way to work though

i