Author Topic: I'm going on vacation to muscle beach!  (Read 7768 times)

Mr. Intenseone

Re: I'm going on vacation to muscle beach!
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2006, 08:31:24 AM »
I am from So Cal, and I would say that if you are talking about just the Venice and the immediate area around then I would reccomend the boardwalk.  Yes, there are alot of crazies but it is fun and entertaining to walk down there.  Lots of tattoo and head shops.  Obviously Gold's and the Firehouse.  The beach is nice, but I wouldn't recommend going in the water at that beach.  You could work out at Muscle Beach if wanted to train while you were there.  You could also hit up the Santa Monica pier (the 10 freeway will dump you into Pacific Coast Highway) or you could exit before then.  You could take Wilshire Blvd or Santa Monica Blvd over to Beverly Hills.  As far as beaches for out of towners, Newport and Huntington are really nice.  Huntington Pier is nice and has a Ruby's (50s style) diner at the end.  There are also alot of shops right next to the beach.  The same could be said for Newport and if you wanted to drive a bit south , you could hit up Laguna or Dana Point.  Depending on when you go, the basketball could have started and you could go to a Lakers game.  The Mighty Ducks play in Anaheim if you like hockey.  If you come later, baseball season will be on and the Dodgers and Angels stadiums are easy to get to.  I know that was long winded but hope it helps.

I live in Huntington Beach (Sunset to be exact) and it's great. LA's (90%) a shithole!

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2006, 08:49:23 AM »
Unfortunately, Muscle Beach is a thing of the past.  Two reasons for that: 

1) every town in the country now has at least one well equipt gym.  Long ago, Gold's Venice and World's were unique.   They were much larger than you could find elsewhere and had the best equipment.

2) Venice has been gentrified.   all the cheap apartments are gone.  many have been torn down and replaced with multi-million dollar homes.   what remains cost $1500 and up for tiny little apartments.   

I suppose there could be a third reason, that Gold's Gym has been bought and sold so many times, that its now just another gym chain.

Long ago, guys moved to Venice because that's where the serious gym was and that's where other bodybuilders lived.  They moved to Venice to live the bodybuilding lifestyle full time.   Now, there are gyms just as big throughout southern California.  And rent is cheaper elsewhere.   So there is no longer a central location where bodybuilders live or hang out.

But southern California is still a great place to vacation.

This guy is totally correct. I'd still check-out Gold's Venice buts its glory days are long gone.

You guys are also a little jaded, COMPLETELY forgetting that newcomers won't make the comparisons you are. For anyone new to Venice without those perspectives of the old daze, it's still special; there's still nothing like it.

The biggest problems I see with Venice now are that none of the gyms are physically close to the beach, so less BBs filter down to the beach, the gyms have been franchised and all look the same, and the revised outdoor weight pit on Venice Beach is not as good as it was previously when it was on beach level, isn't frequented much by serious BBs.

Even with that, you still have a special eclecticism of Venice-bodybuilders, the boardwalk, beach, funky lifestyles, outdoor gym, the site of the original muscle beach from the 30s, the Gold's & World's, the old Gold's, Schatzi's, the Firehouse, etc. Definitely still a flavor of the old daze, except to guys who've been there, done that.

Still very much a unique place, nowhere else like it. Reminds me of my annual visits to Coney Island-not what it once was, but still special.

There are inexpensive, decent hotels just off the beach in Venice.

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2006, 08:55:54 AM »
I live in Huntington Beach (Sunset to be exact) and it's great. LA's (90%) a shithole!
takes an asshole to know a shithole

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2006, 09:45:22 AM »
takes an asshole to know a shithole
;D
a

Sir William Idol

• Getbig IV
  • you got a fight comin
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2006, 12:01:00 PM »
At night, head over to Rage and get laid in the bathroom.

i knew there was something special about you
its comin today

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2006, 12:10:58 PM »
i knew there was something special about you

Ya he is the guy that left a permanent impression in your ass!!
just push some weight!

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2006, 12:19:21 PM »
get high with chris cormier thats what i would do
Id do that ... he is my most favorite BB in the World!!! other than Arnold
L

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2006, 12:20:23 PM »
Wow Joe Bucci, there's a name I haven't heard in awhile.

Sir William Idol

• Getbig IV
  • you got a fight comin
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2006, 12:22:31 PM »
Ya he is the guy that left a permanent impression in your ass!!

16" neck
its comin today

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2006, 12:32:23 PM »
16" neck

Is that your preferable girth size or is that the size that got your anus ruptured?
just push some weight!