Author Topic: My 401k Has Turn To Complete Shit  (Read 4307 times)

Freemason

• Getbig III
  • Tree Trimmer Extraordinaire
Re: My 401k Has Turn To Complete Shit
« Reply #125 on: June 24, 2022, 10:44:55 AM »
And how do you suppose that will work out for you, in the long run? I'm interested.

Extremely well. I will be retired before I’m 60. I will have to make no lifestyle adjustments transitioning into retirement.

I would like to point out that I am not in disagreement with everyone who says they have no other choice but a 401(k). The conversation was only how we all got fucked collectively by corporate America when they decided to give up on pensions. It’s foolish to badmouth pensions, they are a far superior retirement vehicle for an employee. It’s impossible to argue that successfully.

Yes, it’s all you have is a 401, please maximize it and try to find as many other ways to supplement it with more secure investment as you can. I did not want that struggle, so I changed careers young and the security it provides for me and my family (my spouse received my benefit in the event of my death) is immeasurable.

I would also like to add, if you have a choice between a job that pays less with a pension, or a job that pays more with the 401, it is quite possible that the lower paying job will compensate you much more lucratively over your life than the one with the 401.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #126 on: June 24, 2022, 10:50:11 AM »
Extremely well. I will be retired before I’m 60. I will have to make no lifestyle adjustments transitioning into retirement.

I would like to point out that I am not in disagreement with everyone who says they have no other choice but a 401(k). The conversation was only how we all got fucked collectively by corporate America when they decided to give up on pensions. It’s foolish to badmouth pensions, they are a far superior retirement vehicle for an employee. It’s impossible to argue that successfully.

Yes, it’s all you have is a 401, please maximize it and try to find as many other ways to supplement it with more secure investment as you can. I did not want that struggle, so I changed careers young and the security it provides for me and my family (my spouse received my benefit in the event of my death) is immeasurable.
But how old are you now, and will your investments hold up for the long haul?

What if this current nightmare lasts for years?

Those are the questions people are asking themselves. Some, that are on the cusp of retirement, don't know if to go now, or wait a few more years.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #127 on: June 24, 2022, 10:51:13 AM »
But how old are you now, and will your investments hold up for the long haul?

What if this current nightmare lasts for years?

Those are the questions people are asking themselves. Some, that are on the cusp of retirement, don't know if to go now, or wait a few more years.

Freemason is going to be just fine.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #128 on: June 24, 2022, 10:53:33 AM »
Freemason is going to be just fine.
Yes....The Freemasons always seem to come out on top.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #129 on: June 24, 2022, 10:54:05 AM »
I was referring to your advice to young, working people who have access to a 401K plan and no access to a pension plan.

How can they roll over their 401K if they don't have one because you'd advice them it's a scam?

While I think it's a scam, I don't ever stop any clients from investing their money into whatever medium they prefer. I legally can't advise them not to.

You can't roll over a traditional 401K to a Roth IRA.

You can. If you leave your job, you can certainly roll over your traditional 401K into a Roth IRA.

A personal Roth IRA has a contribution limit of $6,000/year, while a 401K has a much higher contribution limit of $20,500.  Employer match is always deposited into a traditional 401K even if you contribute only to a Roth 401K.

That's known.

Are you suggesting contributing to a Roth 401K as much as one can afford, then roll it over to a personal Roth IRA that has better investment options, then repeat?

I'm leaning more towards utilization of a backdoor Roth IRA for better protection of your assets from taxes. Roll over 401K after leaving job into traditional IRA and then backdoor it into Roth IRA.

I agree that personal IRAs offer many more investing options (not all of them good options) than many 401K plans offer, but what strategy in particular are you suggesting would be better in an IRA than in a 401K?  A low cost S&P 500 Index fund or total us stock market index fund are plenty good options in a 401K plan.

Why not do a self-directed IRA and use it to both invest in the market and also into real estate? Get benefits at the tail end and dodge a world of taxes if done right. Not to mention that the self-directed IRA becomes more like a one-stop shop whereby you get the flexibility in terms of the various types of investments (stocks, real estate etc) you’re able to hold in the account.

You either believe 401K is a scam, or you believe one can use it in addition to a pension plan to make your retirement plan better.  I don't see how you can believe both.

I believe 401Ks are a scam as compared to what true pensions were able to offer.

401Ks and their tax deferrals sting come retirement. You retire and get taxed pretty harshly on distributions. If taxes are indeed lower, you can get ahead, but it certainly doesn't play out that way for most. The match is a tax benefit for your employer and even then you don't get to taste it until you're vested. The fees alone will eat away at close to 50% of what you accumulate/save over time. While the assumption is that much like index funds you can get a good return averaging 6-8% per year, reality is that if you're the lucky one to retire when the market has fucked itself over, there goes a large chunk of your money to retire properly and make ends meet.

NOW, something is better than nothing. If you say "I don't want to invest my money in anything else but what my employer offers me", then I don't think it's a bad idea especially if you receive a hybrid whereby your employer offers something else that resembles a pension. With the 401K, you lower your yearly tax burden and if you retire at a good time, you can get decent distributions.

I don't know about you, but I don't invest or participate in anything I believe to be a scam, and I don't advice anyone to do so either.

I am not a financial advisor. I am an accountant. It is illegal for me to advise my clients as to what to do with their money. I cannot provide investment advice or tell a client where to spend their money, I'd lose my license by doing so.

"1"

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #130 on: June 24, 2022, 10:56:29 AM »
It’s foolish to badmouth pensions, they are a far superior retirement vehicle for an employee. It’s impossible to argue that successfully.

True for most employees, but not all.  As I already stated with the reasons why, I would much rather choose a 401K plan over a pension plan if I had to choose one.

I would also like to add, if you have a choice between a job that pays less with a pension, or a job that pays more with the 401, it is quite possible that the lower paying job will compensate you much more lucratively over your life than the one with the 401.

Good advice, probably for the vast majority of the population.  Again, for some people it's much better to choose the higher paying job with a 401K plan and no pension.

epic is back

• Getbig V
  • It is only in darkness that light is brightest
« Reply #131 on: June 24, 2022, 11:07:07 AM »
And how do you suppose that will work out for you, in the long run? I'm interested.

why are you clogging this thread up

let the adults speak about this

you drive a 11 year old car and are broke

stfu

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #132 on: June 24, 2022, 11:09:19 AM »
why are you clogging this thread up

let the adults speak about this

you drive a 11 year old car and are broke

stfu
Judging by your wardrobe, you should be listening, rather than typing.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • “Always do what you are afraid to do.” - Emerson
« Reply #133 on: June 24, 2022, 11:19:58 AM »
What I will add is that as an accountant, I have MANY clients that are retired and used to work for American Express in the 80's & 90's and are collecting a pension that provides well over 80% of their top pay at time of retirement. I also have many retired NYPD officers that are collecting serious pensions at this point.

This is the truth, no fuckery. I actually wish I had worked for some of these companies myself, but never had the opportunity to do so. Hindsight is a bitch.

"1"

Ok.  I believe you.
  :)

Pension payments from private and government pensions are usually subject to federal income tax (unless after tax contributions were made by the employee to the pension).  Some states don't tax pension income.

So, you don't usually escape taxation with a pension.

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #134 on: June 24, 2022, 11:25:46 AM »
My dad worked for an automotiveparts supplier and also has a full pension of about 80-100% of his final salary.  Also worked about 40 years there.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #135 on: June 24, 2022, 11:26:37 AM »
My dad worked for an automotiveparts supplier and also has a full pension of about 80-100% of his final salary.  Also worked about 40 years there.
Sorry for your loss...

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #136 on: June 24, 2022, 11:33:49 AM »
Sorry for your loss...

idgi?

i'll say this, its a tremendous relief knowing that my parents are taken care of.  I have friends that have to support their parents financially as social security + retirement savings are just not enough to meet their expenses.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #137 on: June 24, 2022, 11:38:25 AM »
Ok.  I believe you.
  :)

Pension payments from private and government pensions are usually subject to federal income tax (unless after tax contributions were made by the employee to the pension).  Some states don't tax pension income.

So, you don't usually escape taxation with a pension.

Absolutely. I've never once said you can escape taxation through pensions.

Uncle Sam gets you no matter what, while alive and even once dead, given that the IRS can legally come after back taxes for a period of 10 years after your death, whereby your estate can be pursued until the amounts owed are paid.

The best way to escape taxes includes using borrowing against your own assets, depreciation of assets (rents) and possibly moving to Puerto Rico to not pay Federal Taxes.

"1"

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #138 on: June 25, 2022, 04:07:48 AM »
While I think it's a scam, I don't ever stop any clients from investing their money into whatever medium they prefer. I legally can't advise them not to.

I'm only asking your opinion on what's the alternative for young working people who have no access to a pension but have access to a 401K, since you expressed your opinion that 401Ks are a scam.  I'm not asking what you can or can't legally advice your clients.

You can. If you leave your job, you can certainly roll over your traditional 401K into a Roth IRA.

I should have added that you can't rollover a traditional 401K to a Roth IRA without triggering a taxable event.  You will owe income taxes on all of the money you rollover in the year when you roll it over.  The total amount transferred will be taxed at your ordinary income tax rate, like your salary.  This is something few young working people are prepared for.

I know you already know all this stuff, and one doesn't have to be an accountant to know this stuff.  I'm simply adding it to make a point and for the benefit of others reading this thread.

However, I wasn't asking your opinion on what young working people should do about their retirement plan when they leave their job.  I was asking your opinion on what's their alternative if they have access to a 401K and no access to a pension while they are at their job, not when they leave.

That's known.

Again, I know you know.  The point is one of the advantages of a 401K plan (traditional or Roth) over a personal Roth IRA is that with the 401K plan one can contribute far more because of the much higher contribution limit.  The advantage of a traditional 401K over a Roth 401K and Roth IRA is that by contributing pretax money you have more money to contribute now with a longer timeframe for those higher contributions to grow.

General rule of thumb is for young people at lower tax brackets to contribute after tax money to a Roth 401K and/or a personal Roth IRA.  As they grow their career and get into higher tax brackets, they can switch to contributing pretax money to a traditional 401K.  Once they max out their 401K, they can start maxing out a personal Roth IRA too as their wages grow and they have money left to invest and max out both.

As their wages grow further and they have money left to invest after maxing out both their 401K and a personal Roth IRA, they can start contributing after tax money to a taxable brokerage account.

I'm leaning more towards utilization of a backdoor Roth IRA for better protection of your assets from taxes. Roll over 401K after leaving job into traditional IRA and then backdoor it into Roth IRA.

Many retirees already convert their traditional 401K and IRA to a Roth IRA in chunks overtime, between the day they retire and age 72 before Required Minimum Distributions kick in.  Since they are retired already, they pay less taxes when converting than whey would have while still working.

Other retirees spend down their deferred tax retirement accounts first, before age 72 and before tapping into their Roth and taxable accounts.

Why not do a self-directed IRA and use it to both invest in the market and also into real estate? Get benefits at the tail end and dodge a world of taxes if done right. Not to mention that the self-directed IRA becomes more like a one-stop shop whereby you get the flexibility in terms of the various types of investments (stocks, real estate etc) you’re able to hold in the account.

Again, the contribution limit for a self-directed IRA, traditional IRA, and Roth IRA is only $6,000 per year.  Self-directed IRAs have more complex rules than traditional and Roth IRAs.

Your advice is very good in my opinion, but only for a select few.  It's a heck of a lot simpler to invest in an already available 401K plan and a personal Roth IRA, but the vast majority of people aren't interested in learning very basic investing principals to use their 401K plan to their advance.  That being the case, I don't expect them to do well with much more complex and far less passive self-directed IRAs and real estate investing.

I believe 401Ks are a scam as compared to what true pensions were able to offer.

401Ks and their tax deferrals sting come retirement. You retire and get taxed pretty harshly on distributions. If taxes are indeed lower, you can get ahead, but it certainly doesn't play out that way for most. The match is a tax benefit for your employer and even then you don't get to taste it until you're vested.

Do you have any data showing that it certainly doesn't play out that way for most?  That hasn't been the experience of retirees I know.

Why should anyone care that their 401K match is a tax benefit for their employer?  All they should care about is that they are getting thousands of dollars free from their employer.  If they don't participate in their 401K plan, they get nothing.

As for employer match vesting, it's the same with pension benefits.

The fees alone will eat away at close to 50% of what you accumulate/save over time.

Do you have any data that shows this?  I pay no fees for my 401K plan.  Maybe my employer does, but I don't.  I pay only the expense ratio of the index funds I invest in which are 0.07% and 0.32%.  That's only $0.70 per $1,000 invested and $3.20 per $1,000 invested.

While the assumption is that much like index funds you can get a good return averaging 6-8% per year, reality is that if you're the lucky one to retire when the market has fucked itself over, there goes a large chunk of your money to retire properly and make ends meet.

Fear of Sequence of Return Risk is not an acceptable reason to keep one from investing for the future.  There are simple ways to deal with it and many have dealt with it and are fine in retirement.  As I said, all it takes is learning some basic principles and applying them.

NOW, something is better than nothing. If you say "I don't want to invest my money in anything else but what my employer offers me", then I don't think it's a bad idea especially if you receive a hybrid whereby your employer offers something else that resembles a pension.

I'd say Nothing is better than investing or participating in a scam.  Again, I'd never invest or participate in something I'd believed to be a scam, and I wouldn't advice anyone to do so either.

With the 401K, you lower your yearly tax burden and if you retire at a good time, you can get decent distributions.

So it's not a scam after all, is it?

I am not a financial advisor. I am an accountant. It is illegal for me to advise my clients as to what to do with their money. I cannot provide investment advice or tell a client where to spend their money, I'd lose my license by doing so.

I know that.  This is a bodybuilding forum on the Interwebs.  You and I are anonymous.  You are not my accountant and I am not your client.  I'm not asking you to give anyone any financial advice.

Since you expressed your opinion that 401K plans are a scam, I was curious about your opinion as to what would be the alternative for those with access to a 401K plan and no access to a pension.

The reason I care about your opinion is because you are an experienced accountant.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #139 on: June 25, 2022, 07:12:09 AM »
Your advice is very good in my opinion, but only for a select few.  It's a heck of a lot simpler to invest in an already available 401K plan and a personal Roth IRA, but the vast majority of people aren't interested in learning very basic investing principals to use their 401K plan to their advance.  That being the case, I don't expect them to do well with much more complex and far less passive self-directed IRAs and real estate investing.

I think this is the crux of the matter on hand. I service relatively affluent high-middle class to upper class clientele. The vast majority of the people I work for (tax clients) are business owners that own everything from diners, to medical practices, to mechanic shops, restaurants and some are just incredibly wealthy who utilize self-directed IRAs to buy investment properties and later distribute from their IRAs to themselves personally as to begin personal use.

Most of my clients look for ways to dodge taxes legally, which I do for them. When you own a business this is the beauty of our tax code, it's truly meant to help you. W-2 folks get slaughtered year in and out. My clients optimize their earnings, dodge taxes and use investment properties and other vehicles to depreciate assets for added income. Heck, one of my clients lives solely off of borrowed capital from his own assets.

Do you have any data showing that it certainly doesn't play out that way for most?  That hasn't been the experience of retirees I know.

I do, but that involves personal client records, so I can't disclose that of course. I can try and see if there has been any documented literature online to show the same.

Do you have any data that shows this?  I pay no fees for my 401K plan.  Maybe my employer does, but I don't.  I pay only the expense ratio of the index funds I invest in which are 0.07% and 0.32%.  That's only $0.70 per $1,000 invested and $3.20 per $1,000 invested.

Those are very good expense ratios. Anything under 1% is pretty good in my opinion.

Fear of Sequence of Return Risk is not an acceptable reason to keep one from investing for the future.  There are simple ways to deal with it and many have dealt with it and are fine in retirement.  As I said, all it takes is learning some basic principles and applying them.

I had 401K clients that tried to retire in throughout different times over the last 2 decades. Some tried to retire during 2000-2002, others tried the same during 2007-2009 while collecting distributions, it didn't work out well for them. I also had clients that tried to retire in 2020-2021 right around when COVID it and it didn't work out well for them. There weren't simple ways around it. If anything, some had to continue working to subsidize their ability to survive. Again, it depends on where the market is at and how vested is your 401K. For instance, although I could be wrong, I predict the market is going take a nose dive in the upcoming months as CPI rates continue to go up, fed fund rates continue to rise and harsh recession with a resulting stagflation occurs. I think that if some of my clients that have a 401K were to try and retire closer to Q4 in 2022, it's going to be really bad for them. Just my thoughts..

So it's not a scam after all, is it?
For me it is, because there are better investment vehicles out there as we've discussed. If you are an employee for someone and find it's the best investment option for you, then what works for you, works for you.

The reason I care about your opinion is because you are an experienced accountant.

Thank you for valuing my opinions, as I value yours. Again, what I say is only based on the track record I've seen with my actual clients and how it turns out for them in the long run. In my opinion, business owners who use different means to invest their money show better outcomes. W2 employees with 401K plans as their main investment vehicles, get crushed by taxes over their lives, are at the mercy of the market when it comes time to collect distributions and even then can get hit with harsh taxes after retirement as well.

On a slightly unrelated side note, what has become pretty popular as of the last 1-2 years is clients cashing out their 401Ks. Paying the penalty fee (usually 10%) and then Fed/State/City taxes (in places like NY it turns out to be close to 40% total) and using their money for something immediate like buying a home in full. Yes, it's a tragedy to see someone have to divorce themselves from 50% of their total 401K value, but the peace of mind it apparently brings to clients to own a home in full apparently is worth it.

"1"

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #140 on: June 25, 2022, 07:20:49 AM »
Invest in laser tech..

If u invest in fake wealth like bitcoin or 401k its not real u cant hold it
A

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #141 on: June 25, 2022, 07:57:39 AM »
Just sell drugs. That's the best money advice I can give.