Author Topic: How To Get Home Internet, Phone Service, Cable & Groceries For 100 bucks  (Read 10993 times)

youandme

• Getbig V
Really wanting to see this grocery list.

Walter Sobchak

• Getbig V
  • HANKINS IS A FUCKING LIAR & QUITTER
I’m probably going to take PTO tomorrow and stay on Getbig all day waiting for Goodrum’s historic announcement.

::)

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
Really wanting to see this grocery list.

The new grocery budget is 60 instead of 30 dollars.  But here's a copy of the 30 dollar article ala Matt Canning Style

In this day and age of staying within budget, one of the biggest expenses for most American is the cost of food.   The average grocery bill for 1 person is about 100-142 dollars a week (Source:  Fox Business).  This doesn’t even include eating out sadly.    There are a numbers of reasons why this is the case but I’ve narrowed it down to the following conclusions:

Lack Of Education:  Many years ago, home economics was a common class which taught students how to prepare and cook meals.   The focus however is shifted to a more technical side in the computer age in which these classes are either no longer available or simply shunned as being efeminine or quite the opposite a sexist projection of women being in the kitchen.  ( I took home economics in school and I didn’t find it as either being effeminine or sexist
  Pre-Made Foods:   We are a society in with we are always on the go and it's easy and it's more convenient to just grab a frozen pizza, hot dogs, or just go through a drive thru at your local clown-inspired restaurant
 Perception of Cost:  Some people simply think that eating healthy is too expensive because a fresh salad is compared to a 20 cent bag of ramen noodles.   This is ridiculous because when you get down to the numbers, it's actually an excessive amount of money for what you get...a small portion of poorly made noodle and a cheap flavor pack.   In addition, the continuous advertising of things such as 99 cent value menus and combos makes it very attractive to whip out your wallet without proper thought.

For the record, I’m not by any means stating that you should avoid pre-made meals or going out to eat.   However, it should be done as only sparingly rather than with every meal.   The consequences are not just in the financial realm but also in overall health.   Pre-Made meals and take out food usually contains a high amount of fat, sodium, cholesterol and an excessive amount of calories that well exceeds your daily allowance.   This article is a revision to one that I wrote for a nutritional website from 2013 in which I explained how to spend only 20 dollars a month on groceries.  Of course, it's 2020 and this is no longer feasible however I still spend on average about 30-40 dollars a month on groceries.  The action plan that I use is no different than my methods on investing in commodities which is purchasing long term bulk foods with a significant shelf life in addition to simply preparing my own meals for either immediate sustenance or placing the content in a plastic or glass container for future use.   This is all about getting back to the basics.  By redefining the way you plan your meals, you can save up to  6000 dollars in food cost over the course of a year.   The following below is my personal list of items that I keep in my kitchen to reduce the monthly cost of buying groceries.  This is only a sample of items and some examples of what can be prepared with these foods so if you wish to have more variety then I would get yourself a cookbook.  Lets Begin!!!

Long Grain Rice
25lb - $9.64 (Source:  Walmart/Sam’s Club)
Number Of Servings:  378
Cost Per Serving:  2.5 cents
Shelf Life: 3-5 years

Rice is the most widely consumed food in the world.   It is quite easy to prepare as you only need to rinse it out to remove the excessive starch and boil it.   For the most part I keep it simply and make mine with a touch of butter, salt and pepper.  However I have made a number of other items such as fried rice balls, rice bread, black beans and rice, and a breakfast dish arroz con huevo fritos ( rice with a fried egg). 

Flour
5LB Baker’s Choice All Purpose Flour -$1.80 (Source: Aldi)
Number Of Servings:  N/A
Cost Per Serving:  N/A
Shelf Life: 6-8 months

Flour is also a huge staple and ingredient in food preparation.  You can make pancakes, biscuits, and bread with it...pretty self explanatory.   I use it mostly to make no knead bread which will last for about a week and is very good with soup.   However, I’ve  also used it to make some very crepes which only require flour and some oil.    There’s a wide range of different foods you can make with just flour and some basic ingredients so do a little research

Lentils
20lb Kosher Lentils - $21.50 (Source:  Warehouse Outlets, Walmart, Lidl, Aldi, Target)
Number Of Servings:  280
Cost Per Serving:  7.5 cents
Shelf Life:  2-3 years

Lentils are one of my favorite legumes and I use it to make some very hearty stews and soups which pairs quite well with bread, pork or chicken.   It's also quite healthy and its slow digesting starches are perfect for people with diabetes.   Just be advised that lentils are my personal favorite but you can buy black beans, pintos, or any other variety and the pricing is just about the same.

Rolled Oats (Oatmeal)
10LB Quaker Oats Old Fashioned Or Quick Oats - $8.98 (Source:  Sam’s Club, Wal-Mart)
Number Of Servings:  110
Cost Per Serving:  8.16 cents
Shelf Life: 6-8 months Opened

For me, there is nothing like a hot bowl of oatmeal in the morning and I have it with a variety of different things from P28 peanut butter powder, frozen cherries or bananas, or simply with a touch of butter and salt.   But I’ve also taken oatmeal and mixed it with bananas to make oatmeal cookies as well for a healthy snack.  But the best thing for me is just the time it takes to make  a bowl.   I use quick oats and simply go to my Primo water cooler for some boiling water.  Three minutes later, I’m ready to chow down.   You can of course just boil some water of course and it's hard to mess that up.   There are a number of other items I’ve made but for the most part, it's a very cheap, heart healthy, breakfast food.

Peanuts
34.5oz Members Mark Dry Roasted Peanuts -$4.28 (Source:  Walmart, Sam’s Club)
42oz Southern Grove Dry Roasted Peanuts w/Sea Salt - $5.75 (Source:  Aldi)
Number Of Servings:  34-42
Cost Per Serving:  12.58 cents
Shelf Life:  6-8 months

Peanuts are pretty versible and there are a number of applications that can be used.  Personally I will blend up some of  them  to make peanut butter and store it in a glass container in the refrigerator.   Peanuts are high in protein and its caloric value will definitely keep you from being hungry for an extended period of them.  You can also blend it to make peanut flour which is excellent for gluten free diets.   Of course, since its a legume...it's perfect for vegan and vegetarian diets

Bananas
3lb Dole Bananas - $1.39 (Source:  Sam’s Club, Aldi, Target, Various Outlets)
Number Of Servings:  15
Cost Per Serving:  9.26 cents
Shelf Life 2-7 days fresh, 12-18 months dehydrated

A lot of people simply do not get enough fruits and vegetables in their diet.   I use them in my oatmeal cookie recipe but you can eat them plain just as well as part of a breakfast food or add it to a peanut butter sandwich for a hearty meal.  Because they can go bad very quickly, I will either freeze them or put them in a dehydrator for some banana chips which are a very healthy snack

Chicken Thigh Or Drumsticks Fresh (Skin On) - .79 - 1.08 cents per pound (Anywhere)
Number Of Servings: 4
Cost Per Serving:  19.7-27 cents
Shelf Life:  2 days Fresh, 1 year Frozen 

Chicken is a complete protein and I will usually remove the skin to grill them or just throw them in with my lentil stew.  But I don’t have to tell you of all the ways you can prepare them.   

Eggs:
36 Count Sunny Meadow Large Eggs  - $3.98 (Walmart, Sam’s Club)
Number Of Servings: 18
Cost Per Serving:  22.11 cents
Shelf Life 3-4 weeks fresh, 3-4 months unshelled and frozen
*Note:  You Can Get A Dozen Eggs At Aldi for 1.19 however I did not find them very palatable when scrambled or sunny side.  They were only half-decent boiled.   

Eggs can be used in a wide range of different foods but a lot of people don’t know that you can freeze eggs for a significant period of time.   I used to scramble up a bunch of them, pour them into an ice tray and then place them in a freezer bag so I can just take them out individually for whatever meal I was fixing.   However I’ve stopped eating whole eggs so I nowadays purchase a box of egg white powder from Rose Acres Farm under SportsProtein.   I use them just the same as any other egg and the shelf life is much longer.  I used to sell this brand when I ran a vitamin store so this is my personal choice.  But feel free to use whatever company you wish.

So there you have it.   I certainly hope that you find the information provided to be of use in your food budget.  If you treat food as a long term investment rather than an immediate purchase then you will find that your wallet and bank account will thank you for it.

A

IRON CROSS

• Getbig V

Multimillionaire Vince/gib lives on $ 60 p/m  ;D

residue

• Getbig V
  • Adonis 3:16

The new grocery budget is 60 instead of 30 dollars.  But here's a copy of the 30 dollar article ala Matt Canning Style

In this day and age of staying within budget, one of the biggest expenses for most American is the cost of food.   The average grocery bill for 1 person is about 100-142 dollars a week (Source:  Fox Business).  This doesn’t even include eating out sadly.    There are a numbers of reasons why this is the case but I’ve narrowed it down to the following conclusions:

Lack Of Education:  Many years ago, home economics was a common class which taught students how to prepare and cook meals.   The focus however is shifted to a more technical side in the computer age in which these classes are either no longer available or simply shunned as being efeminine or quite the opposite a sexist projection of women being in the kitchen.  ( I took home economics in school and I didn’t find it as either being effeminine or sexist
  Pre-Made Foods:   We are a society in with we are always on the go and it's easy and it's more convenient to just grab a frozen pizza, hot dogs, or just go through a drive thru at your local clown-inspired restaurant
 Perception of Cost:  Some people simply think that eating healthy is too expensive because a fresh salad is compared to a 20 cent bag of ramen noodles.   This is ridiculous because when you get down to the numbers, it's actually an excessive amount of money for what you get...a small portion of poorly made noodle and a cheap flavor pack.   In addition, the continuous advertising of things such as 99 cent value menus and combos makes it very attractive to whip out your wallet without proper thought.

For the record, I’m not by any means stating that you should avoid pre-made meals or going out to eat.   However, it should be done as only sparingly rather than with every meal.   The consequences are not just in the financial realm but also in overall health.   Pre-Made meals and take out food usually contains a high amount of fat, sodium, cholesterol and an excessive amount of calories that well exceeds your daily allowance.   This article is a revision to one that I wrote for a nutritional website from 2013 in which I explained how to spend only 20 dollars a month on groceries.  Of course, it's 2020 and this is no longer feasible however I still spend on average about 30-40 dollars a month on groceries.  The action plan that I use is no different than my methods on investing in commodities which is purchasing long term bulk foods with a significant shelf life in addition to simply preparing my own meals for either immediate sustenance or placing the content in a plastic or glass container for future use.   This is all about getting back to the basics.  By redefining the way you plan your meals, you can save up to  6000 dollars in food cost over the course of a year.   The following below is my personal list of items that I keep in my kitchen to reduce the monthly cost of buying groceries.  This is only a sample of items and some examples of what can be prepared with these foods so if you wish to have more variety then I would get yourself a cookbook.  Lets Begin!!!

Long Grain Rice
25lb - $9.64 (Source:  Walmart/Sam’s Club)
Number Of Servings:  378
Cost Per Serving:  2.5 cents
Shelf Life: 3-5 years

Rice is the most widely consumed food in the world.   It is quite easy to prepare as you only need to rinse it out to remove the excessive starch and boil it.   For the most part I keep it simply and make mine with a touch of butter, salt and pepper.  However I have made a number of other items such as fried rice balls, rice bread, black beans and rice, and a breakfast dish arroz con huevo fritos ( rice with a fried egg). 

Flour
5LB Baker’s Choice All Purpose Flour -$1.80 (Source: Aldi)
Number Of Servings:  N/A
Cost Per Serving:  N/A
Shelf Life: 6-8 months

Flour is also a huge staple and ingredient in food preparation.  You can make pancakes, biscuits, and bread with it...pretty self explanatory.   I use it mostly to make no knead bread which will last for about a week and is very good with soup.   However, I’ve  also used it to make some very crepes which only require flour and some oil.    There’s a wide range of different foods you can make with just flour and some basic ingredients so do a little research

Lentils
20lb Kosher Lentils - $21.50 (Source:  Warehouse Outlets, Walmart, Lidl, Aldi, Target)
Number Of Servings:  280
Cost Per Serving:  7.5 cents
Shelf Life:  2-3 years

Lentils are one of my favorite legumes and I use it to make some very hearty stews and soups which pairs quite well with bread, pork or chicken.   It's also quite healthy and its slow digesting starches are perfect for people with diabetes.   Just be advised that lentils are my personal favorite but you can buy black beans, pintos, or any other variety and the pricing is just about the same.

Rolled Oats (Oatmeal)
10LB Quaker Oats Old Fashioned Or Quick Oats - $8.98 (Source:  Sam’s Club, Wal-Mart)
Number Of Servings:  110
Cost Per Serving:  8.16 cents
Shelf Life: 6-8 months Opened

For me, there is nothing like a hot bowl of oatmeal in the morning and I have it with a variety of different things from P28 peanut butter powder, frozen cherries or bananas, or simply with a touch of butter and salt.   But I’ve also taken oatmeal and mixed it with bananas to make oatmeal cookies as well for a healthy snack.  But the best thing for me is just the time it takes to make  a bowl.   I use quick oats and simply go to my Primo water cooler for some boiling water.  Three minutes later, I’m ready to chow down.   You can of course just boil some water of course and it's hard to mess that up.   There are a number of other items I’ve made but for the most part, it's a very cheap, heart healthy, breakfast food.

Peanuts
34.5oz Members Mark Dry Roasted Peanuts -$4.28 (Source:  Walmart, Sam’s Club)
42oz Southern Grove Dry Roasted Peanuts w/Sea Salt - $5.75 (Source:  Aldi)
Number Of Servings:  34-42
Cost Per Serving:  12.58 cents
Shelf Life:  6-8 months

Peanuts are pretty versible and there are a number of applications that can be used.  Personally I will blend up some of  them  to make peanut butter and store it in a glass container in the refrigerator.   Peanuts are high in protein and its caloric value will definitely keep you from being hungry for an extended period of them.  You can also blend it to make peanut flour which is excellent for gluten free diets.   Of course, since its a legume...it's perfect for vegan and vegetarian diets

Bananas
3lb Dole Bananas - $1.39 (Source:  Sam’s Club, Aldi, Target, Various Outlets)
Number Of Servings:  15
Cost Per Serving:  9.26 cents
Shelf Life 2-7 days fresh, 12-18 months dehydrated

A lot of people simply do not get enough fruits and vegetables in their diet.   I use them in my oatmeal cookie recipe but you can eat them plain just as well as part of a breakfast food or add it to a peanut butter sandwich for a hearty meal.  Because they can go bad very quickly, I will either freeze them or put them in a dehydrator for some banana chips which are a very healthy snack

Chicken Thigh Or Drumsticks Fresh (Skin On) - .79 - 1.08 cents per pound (Anywhere)
Number Of Servings: 4
Cost Per Serving:  19.7-27 cents
Shelf Life:  2 days Fresh, 1 year Frozen 

Chicken is a complete protein and I will usually remove the skin to grill them or just throw them in with my lentil stew.  But I don’t have to tell you of all the ways you can prepare them.   

Eggs:
36 Count Sunny Meadow Large Eggs  - $3.98 (Walmart, Sam’s Club)
Number Of Servings: 18
Cost Per Serving:  22.11 cents
Shelf Life 3-4 weeks fresh, 3-4 months unshelled and frozen
*Note:  You Can Get A Dozen Eggs At Aldi for 1.19 however I did not find them very palatable when scrambled or sunny side.  They were only half-decent boiled.   

Eggs can be used in a wide range of different foods but a lot of people don’t know that you can freeze eggs for a significant period of time.   I used to scramble up a bunch of them, pour them into an ice tray and then place them in a freezer bag so I can just take them out individually for whatever meal I was fixing.   However I’ve stopped eating whole eggs so I nowadays purchase a box of egg white powder from Rose Acres Farm under SportsProtein.   I use them just the same as any other egg and the shelf life is much longer.  I used to sell this brand when I ran a vitamin store so this is my personal choice.  But feel free to use whatever company you wish.

So there you have it.   I certainly hope that you find the information provided to be of use in your food budget.  If you treat food as a long term investment rather than an immediate purchase then you will find that your wallet and bank account will thank you for it.

is this how you eat? it's not right, you cant seriously eat like that right?

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
is this how you eat? it's not right, you cant seriously eat like that right?

No, as i mentioned in the thread i wrote, its meant to our government to quit wasting money on grifter using SNAP benefits to buy crab legs and fast food.  I spend about 50 dollars a week on groceries and i use Walmart Delivery to have it sent to my home and Sams Club pickup.  Cuts down on wasting time shopping for groceries

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=670005.50
A

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • 2024 NPC Charlotte Cup Champion
Even if you did live off chicken parts at 1$ a pound you are still buying bone in chicken you are going to need 2lbs a day of that which is your entire food budget before you start buying lintels, rice, flour, oatmeal, bananas, and peanuts.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
Even if you did live off chicken parts at 1$ a pound you are still buying bone in chicken you are going to need 2lbs a day of that which is your entire food budget before you start buying lintels, rice, flour, oatmeal, bananas, and peanuts.

Lentils , rice, flours, coffee are long term dry goods. Buying in bulk reduces oversll food cost
A

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
Vince once again proving how delusional he is.

Sure, you can eat for 60 dollars a month, if you survive on cans of tuna, ramen noodles, bags of rice, fruits from trees, vegetables and spices from a garden etc.....

Some of us, actually want to live a decent life, not some uni-bomber, off the grid, torture diet.

I've got one better: skip the internet, phone, and cable. Get a tent, a bow, and a fishing pole.

Live in the wilderness and hunt and forage for your own food.

Even people on government assistance spend more than 60 dollars a month on food.

Hobos collecting change spend more than 60 dollars a month on food.

Vince, you have some form of mental handicap. You should entertain the idea of getting some help.

Clearly, you don't follow your own food buying advice.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!

Sure, you can eat for 60 dollars a month, if you survive on cans of tuna, ramen noodles, bags of rice, fruits from trees, vegetables and spices from a garden etc.....

Some of us, actually want to live a decent life, not some uni-bomber, off the grid, torture diet.

I've got one better: skip the internet, phone, and cable. Get a tent, a bow, and a fishing pole.

Even people on government assistance spend more than 60 dollars a month on food.

Vince, you have some form of mental handicap. You should entertain the idea of getting some help.

Ive worked in the telecommunications industry on and off for 20 years including my recent stint for 6 years so i know the actual cost of cable , internet, and phone aervice you moron.  My company cell phone is paid for but my personal phone is $4.50 a month you jackass. . 

Government assistance is a joke...an excessive amount of money for people who abuse the system instead of being taught how to budget and prepare meals...just like you are a joke on Getbig.
A

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • 2024 NPC Charlotte Cup Champion

Honestly I was thinking the same thing even if you could live off 60 a month in food why would you want to??? I get saving money but there is a limit and this is way over it. I mean for fuck sake food is one of the things that makes life enjoyable enjoy your godamn life

King Shizzo

• Getbig V

Ive worked in the telecommunications industry on and off for 20 years including my recent stint for 6 years so i know the actual cost of cable , internet, and phone aervice you moron.  My company cell phone is paid for but my personal phone is $4.50 a month you jackass. . 

Government assistance is a joke...an excessive amount of money for people who abuse the system instead of being taught how to budget and prepare meals...just like you are a joke on Getbig.
Then you need to see a doctor. You look like you weigh 350 pounds.  Do as I say not as I do?

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
Then you need to see a doctor. You look like you weigh 350 pounds.  Do as I say not as I do?

Speak for youself, you are the out of shape , gooey, ugliest person ive ever seen who obviously never picked up a weight. 
A

King Shizzo

• Getbig V

Speak for youself, you are the out of shape , gooey, ugliest person ive ever seen who obviously never picked up a weight.
Meltdown.

JustPlaneJane

• Getbig V
Vincent Goodrum lowers his monthly food bill by eating Shitzo’s lunch !

;D

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
Meltdown.

You're a stick of melted buter.  When you post a picture of you looking remotely better than me then let ne kbow
A

King Shizzo

• Getbig V

You're a stick of melted buter.  When you post a picture of you looking remotely better than me then let ne kbow
You should have guest starred on Shark Week.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
You should have guest starred on Shark Week.

And you starred in Ungloryhole.com.  stop ralking shit and pick up a weight so you stop looking like a shit
A

residue

• Getbig V
  • Adonis 3:16

No, as i mentioned in the thread i wrote, its meant to our government to quit wasting money on grifter using SNAP benefits to buy crab legs and fast food.  I spend about 50 dollars a week on groceries and i use Walmart Delivery to have it sent to my home and Sams Club pickup.  Cuts down on wasting time shopping for groceries

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=670005.50

im pretty sure you cant use snap to buy fast food unless you're homeless or infirm . also why are you posting this here? know your audience

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
im pretty sure you cant use snap to buy fast food unless you're homeless or infirm . also why are you posting this here? know your audience
I see it ALL the time here in SC.  Im sure other states have rules but its enough to be irritating
A

Henda

• Getbig V

Being both fat and on welfare you of all people should be listening closely to vince’s advice the less you spend out of your giro on groceries the more left for cheap supermarket own brand vodka and wasting in the bookies

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
Good ideas, Vince.  Way better than the average consumer spending habits buying junk foods.

I eat a similar diet but not the rice, flour, oats or bananas and only certain low glycemic fruits.  Too many carbs which mess with your insulin levels.  This is not good for diabetics.
I also eat 4 or more whole eggs each day.

As far as the economics very good.

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
Good ideas, Vince.  Way better than the average consumer spending habits buying junk foods.

I eat a similar diet but not the rice, flour, oats or bananas and only certain low glycemic fruits.  Too many carbs which mess with your insulin levels.  This is not good for diabetics.
I also eat 4 or more whole eggs each day.

As far as the economics very good.

I think Vince's new diet adjustment has promise.

I'm extremely interested in the phone/internet. I've never heard of anyone having a cell phone and internet service for nearly that cheap. My internet alone is $65 a month and it's not that great. My problem is that i have very few options where i live, in fact i have no options. There is one provider in my area because it's an older part of town and on the edge of civilization. I'm closer to an Indian reservation than the City limits, which i enjoy.

When i was in college i managed to eat very well off ~$100 a month, and it wasn't shit food either.

Buying in bulk and cooking from raw ingredients saves a ton of money and is good for your health.

All the processed shit people eat will kill them by the time they hit 60.

Even today i buy rice by the 20 lb bag, i have a rice cooker/steamer. Beans/lentils by the pound. Beef/chicken i buy 40 pounds at a time from the local butcher at a very good price. Eggs 50 at a time.

I have a very simple diet, nothing fancy. It takes effort to cook this way, but it is worth it to me.

Even household items that don't expire i get at Costco, huge bulk prices.

To be honest the most expensive items i buy are fresh fish and veggies. Fruits and veggies are very expensive where i live. But i can get a bushel of green chilies for $10. ;D

I only go out to eat when my GF is in town. Even at my age and making a good salary, i see no point in wasting money on fancy eating, i'd rather travel the globe.

Based on my lifestyle 2-3 years ago, going out to eat almost daily. I'm saving $500+ a month.

Thanks to Covid in part i guess.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
Good eatin' TIO.

IRON CROSS

• Getbig V
How in a hell he lives without fresh greens & fruits ???.

On my travels to SEA, I intentionally stop for 2-3 days in Kuala Lumpur to 'kill' myself eating Masung King durian @ DurianMan SS2 shops ..........

or visiting Or Tor Kor market in Bangkok just to eat the King of Fruits  ...........