Author Topic: Electric Car And Autonomous News  (Read 8981 times)

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
Electric Car And Autonomous News
« on: July 23, 2021, 05:00:42 AM »
It looks like the three front runners in autonomous are Waymo, Tesla, Mobileye, and Cruise.

Here's a short clip of Mobileye driving through the streets of Munich.  Mobileye is owned by Intel.

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
Re: Electric Car And Autonomous News - For You Bitches
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2021, 05:02:22 AM »
Tesla FSD Beta 9 driving through the streets of San Francisco.

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
Re: Electric Car And Autonomous News
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2021, 02:28:28 PM »
Lucid Motors had their IPO today.

Ticker: LCID
Current market cap $6.9 Billion

My opinion is the Lucid air beats the Tesla Model S, but is not as good as the Mercedes EQS depending on horse power selected.

https://www.lucidmotors.com/

IRON CROSS

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2021, 02:32:42 PM »
Lucid Motors had their IPO today.

Ticker: LCID
Current market cap $6.9 Billion

My opinion is the Lucid air beats the Tesla Model S, but is not as good as the Mercedes EQS depending on horse power selected.

https://www.lucidmotors.com/

& Rimac NEVERA outclass Merc & Tesla   :D

deadz

• Getbig V
  • Liberals..Dumbest People on the Planet! MAGA
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2021, 02:36:04 PM »
If I wanted a car I didn’t have to drive I’d hire a driver. Fuck electric cars.
T

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2021, 02:57:35 PM »

I didn't believe autonomous was such a big deal before too because I like to drive, but I have changed my mind in a big way.  This technology will be transformative and will affect all forms of transportation of both people and cargo.  It will also mean the end of car ownership for most people.  Automakers see this transformation on the horizon and realize their industry will see more change in the next five years than it's seen in the last twenty.   

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2021, 04:41:33 PM »
Cars are dinosaurs and electric dinosaurs will not save us.

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2021, 04:56:34 AM »
Fisker will unveil the production-ready version of the Ocean SUV at November’s Los Angeles Auto Show.

It has been 18 months since the Fisker Ocean was first unveiled as a concept at CES 2020 and while the production model isn’t expected to look much different, its debut will mark an important step for the electric car manufacturer.

Production of the Ocean is set to commence in the fall of 2022 and it will be manufactured by Magna Steyr in Austria. Car and Driver understands that Fisker will begin testing prototypes later this year and has already secured 17,300 paid reservations for the all-electric SUV.

https://www.carscoops.com/2021/07/fiskers-production-ready-ocean-to-make-debut-at-la-auto-show/

The top of the line Fisker Ocean will have 545 HP.

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2021, 05:14:42 AM »

I'm with these guys. I'll just take my private jets anywhere I want to go.

Fucking peasants!

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2021, 04:58:48 AM »
TechAltar explains why smart phone companies like Sony, Xiaomi, Huawei, Apple, and LG started making electric cars.

There are strong parallels between what happened to smart phones with the iPhone and Android and what's happening right now in the car industry.

The Tesla Model S launch is the parallel to the iPhone launch.  It showed other manufacturers this works and must be emulated.

The Fisker, Sony, and Apple cars (all made by Magna LG) are the Android parallel.  Showing that cars are now a collection of simple components that can be bought from various manufacturers and assembled together by someone else just like a smart phone.  Basically anyone can build a car and put their brand on it and that's exactly what Sony and Apple are doing.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2021, 05:09:09 AM »
But they can get us from point a to point b.

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2021, 02:15:07 PM »
But there is a hidden secret.

The infrastructure to maintain a full grid for mass transit is decades away.

I think at some point in time it MAY be possible to have autonomous cars full scale, but not for a very very long time.

There are a lot of problems too.

Read about the Japanese Shinkansen train system. A friend of mine from college actually moved to Japan for 5 years to help work on it.

It's an amazing system.

One day this will be more practical.

Electric cars are great, i never liked them until a drove a Tesla. I'll end up getting one eventually.

In 20 years we won't have a choice anyway.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2021, 06:14:29 PM »

I think at some point in time it MAY be possible to have autonomous cars full scale, but not for a very very long time.

Read about the Japanese Shinkansen train system. A friend of mine from college actually moved to Japan for 5 years to help work on it.

It's an amazing system.

Electric cars are great, i never liked them until a drove a Tesla. I'll end up getting one eventually.

Excellent post and our likely future.

130-140 years ago, Tesla and Edison had the "battle of the currents" and Tesla backed by Westinghouse won with AC.
Right before that , the main dispute was; "electric lights vs oil lamps " . :o

Elon Musk with his Tesla's has proven the electric care is a superior, quality future car.
People often forget we already have autonomous drones that use AI to fly safely by wire.
You're 100% right about the extensive infrastructure for charging and autonomous drivers will take several years.
However, by 2040, electric cars will be the norm and the internal combustion engine will be a museum pc.

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2021, 01:57:50 AM »

It's an amazing system.

Yes electrics are likely the future. I like the grid idea, hooking up on such for the larger roads. Cars could charge on them while driving.

Combustion-cars will be like mechanical watches. You use them once in a while for style and out of mechanical interest.

Sissysquats

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2021, 06:34:55 AM »
A big problem with self driving cars…….those driving cars that are not self driving. I think the tech is “getting there” but until everyone has a self driving car you still have douche bags driving

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2021, 07:23:48 AM »
A big problem with self driving cars…….those driving cars that are not self driving. I think the tech is “getting there” but until everyone has a self driving car you still have douche bags driving
And you have to hope that self driving cars can quickly react to those douche bag drivers.  Also, any computer problem with your self driving car could kill you.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2021, 10:01:07 AM »
And you have to hope that self driving cars can quickly react to those douche bag drivers.  Also, any computer problem with your self driving car could kill you.

Hmmmm? Ok, the technology to safely avoid crashes exists in an autonomous drone you can buy on Amazon

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2021, 11:44:52 AM »
Hmmmm? Ok, the technology to safely avoid crashes exists in an autonomous drone you can buy on Amazon

They crash into buildings all the time.

There are thousands of videos of them doing it.

The "unmanned" drones the military uses have manual overrides and are supervised by humans.

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2021, 11:48:35 AM »

Tesla has some amazing software to help avoid these things, but it is not perfect.

Even with thousands of sensors there will always be a margin for error.

The question is, does that AI margin of error make it safer than your average human?

That could be the difference.

There are a lot of idiot drivers.

There are so many variables and too many obstacles to avoid on your daily commute to work. I still don't trust the software. Yet.

Abelard Lindsey

• Getbig II
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2021, 11:56:03 AM »
  It will also mean the end of car ownership for most people.   

Automated driving as a service is great until the cancel culture comes for you.

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2021, 12:07:50 PM »
Excellent post and our likely future.

130-140 years ago, Tesla and Edison had the "battle of the currents" and Tesla backed by Westinghouse won with AC.
Right before that , the main dispute was; "electric lights vs oil lamps " . :o

Elon Musk with his Tesla's has proven the electric care is a superior, quality future car.
People often forget we already have autonomous drones that use AI to fly safely by wire.
You're 100% right about the extensive infrastructure for charging and autonomous drivers will take several years.
However, by 2040, electric cars will be the norm and the internal combustion engine will be a museum pc.

Not even close. The energy density of batteries is nowhere close to where it needs to be to make this happen. I worked on Generation 1 intercalated compounds at Xerox in the 80's that were supposed to be the next big thing" in batteries. Nope, never happened.

As for power generation I also worked on thin film flexible solar cells at the same time. They haven't made a dent in things. We still use predominately crystalline silicon for photovoltaics and the energy cost for making them just about equals the energy generation capability over the typical life span.

The only way to make this all happen is nuclear reactors. Let me know how that works out.

These fantasy pronouncements about what the future holds reminds me a lot of this:

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2021, 02:56:33 PM »
It's possible some of you may know more about physics and electrical circuits, but I'm not totally ignorant on it.

1. The battery technology rate of improvement is like the microprocessor in computers.
As the battery cells get smaller , the number in series can be greatly increased in the same vehicle.
This will result in rapid advances in both power and endurance.

2. The reg car battery uses an alternator to run the DC battery current "back" into the battery to recharge it.
This is why a running car never has the battery go dead.

To do this safely, the new smaller batteries may need to have parallel circuits to effectively alternate charging with those powering the car.

FYI, once moving over 50 mph on a hwy , the battery power is only needed to overcome air resistance and tire friction.
This is fairly substantial in most cars, BUT the conservation of energy allowed for the existing car engine to
operate at much lower RPMs and a lower gear on the hwy.

This is a very simplified explanation of the possible design of future electric battery circuits in cars. But it's Getbig and
I'm not at an AAPT conference .  https://www.aapt.org/

3. I've seen and heard a lot of pro/con prediction for autonomous driving cars. I tend to think that's waaaaay into the future.
The number of cars driving in densely populated areas will only increase. Plus, the insurance company risks would make rates
higher then many could afford . In simple terms, I'm  skeptical about "autonomous driving" being common ,any time soon

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2021, 09:21:32 AM »
Foxconn is buying Lordstown's auto plant in Ohio for $230 million.  Foxconn will build the Endurance pickup there for Lordstown and hire it's employees.  I suspect Foxconn will also build the Fisker SUV there as well.

In my opinion Lordstown employees just got screwed.  This is also an indication of how low of cash Lordstown is for they will be leasing back the part of the facility where there vehicle is being built. 

https://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/lordstown-motors-confirms-plan-to-sell-ohio-plant-to-foxconn

Here's an overview of the plant that was just sold and the build process of the Endurance as well as the management team.

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2021, 09:35:59 AM »
The governors of Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin are joining forces to build a new network for charging electric vehicles.

https://www.npr.org/2021/10/01/1041987104/midwest-electric-vehicles-charging-evs-cars

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2021, 09:40:15 AM »
The governors of Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin are joining forces to build a new network for charging electric vehicles.

https://www.npr.org/2021/10/01/1041987104/midwest-electric-vehicles-charging-evs-cars

Send them the link to the No New Car thread from here.

They'll quickly realize they are wasting their time.