Author Topic: Newt Gingrich says Spanish a 'ghetto' language  (Read 9211 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Newt Gingrich says Spanish a 'ghetto' language
« on: April 03, 2007, 11:27:59 AM »

Associated Press
April 3, 2007, 12:00 PM EDT

WASHINGTON -- Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich equated bilingual education with "the language of living in a ghetto" and mocked requirements that ballots be printed in multiple languages.

"The government should quit mandating that various documents be printed in any one of 700 languages depending on who randomly shows up" to vote, said Gingrich, who is considering seeking the Republican presidential nomination in 2008. He made the comments in a speech to the National Federation of Republican Women.

"The American people believe English should be the official language of the government. ... We should replace bilingual education with immersion in English so people learn the common language of the country and they learn the language of prosperity, not the language of living in a ghetto," Gingrich said on Saturday to cheers from the crowd of more than 100.

"Citizenship requires passing a test on American history in English. If that's true, then we do not have to create ballots in any language except English," he said.

Peter Zamora, co-chair of the Washington-based Hispanic Education Coalition, which supports bilingual education, said, "The tone of his comments was very hateful. Spanish is spoken by many individuals who do not live in the ghetto."

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Newt Gingrich says Spanish a 'ghetto' language
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 11:29:48 AM »
He's right about catering to foreign languages, but he needs to work on his delivery. 

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 11:30:42 AM »
He's right about catering to foreign languages, but he needs to work on his delivery. 

Yes.
S

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 11:31:44 AM »
If your vote is going to count in America, then you should speak English. Not sure how he said it, I hope his tone was not like the article says cause then it pushes the process back.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 11:33:20 AM »

Associated Press

WASHINGTON -- Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich equated bilingual education with "the language of living in a ghetto" and mocked requirements that ballots be printed in multiple languages.

"The government should quit mandating that various documents be printed in any one of 700 languages depending on who randomly shows up" to vote, said Gingrich, who is considering seeking the Republican presidential nomination in 2008. He made the comments in a speech to the National Federation of Republican Women.

"The American people believe English should be the official language of the government. ... We should replace bilingual education with immersion in English so people learn the common language of the country and they learn the language of prosperity, not the language of living in a ghetto," Gingrich said on Saturday to cheers from the crowd of more than 100.

"Citizenship requires passing a test on American history in English. If that's true, then we do not have to create ballots in any language except English," he said.

Peter Zamora, co-chair of the Washington-based Hispanic Education Coalition, which supports bilingual education, said, "The tone of his comments was very hateful. Spanish is spoken by many individuals who do not live in the ghetto."

dude just commited campaign suecide...he seriously thinks he will get any type of immigrant votes..citizens from other countries will not vote for this guy after hearing that

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
  • You can't be a citizen unless you serve
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 11:40:50 AM »
dude just commited campaign suecide...he seriously thinks he will get any type of immigrant votes..citizens from other countries will not vote for this guy after hearing that

good for him for not playing "politics" and kissing ass just to get votes, he might lose immigrants but he will gain in other places
gotta love life

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 11:44:36 AM »
good for him for not playing "politics" and kissing ass just to get votes, he might lose immigrants but he will gain in other places

na he only stood to loose votes...he was going to get the far right no matter what...i really to think that is a ballsy move and i respect him not "playing the game" even though it spells trouble...he did what he felt right in the face of PC'ness...good for him

Old_Rooster

• Getbig IV
  • SquadFathers mom gave me a BJ
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 11:52:22 AM »

Associated Press

RIGHT ON NEWT!  If you want to live in this country and take a job away from a true american, at least LEARN THE FUCKING LANGUAGE!

Anytime a mexican starts speaking spanish to me i look at them and simply say 'oh fuck this, learn the language jose!'  and i walk off.
Benjamin Pearson-Pedo

The Enigma

• Getbig IV
  • Porsche 911 Turbo Carerra. My reality, your dream.
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 12:22:29 PM »
RIGHT ON NEWT!  If you want to live in this country and take a job away from a true american, at least LEARN THE FUCKING LANGUAGE!

Rooster, just wondering......when will YOU learn the English language??

Pathetic, uneducated moron.

Old_Rooster

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 12:27:41 PM »

Rooster, just wondering......when will YOU learn the English language??

Pathetic, uneducated moron.
Ya know twinkles, i've never heard a soldier talk like you.   Every soldier i have ever spoken to support the war and they simply say because bush is their commander in chief.  I don't even believe you are in the military, if you are, i'm completely ashamed of you.  You are fucking pathetic.
Benjamin Pearson-Pedo

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2007, 12:32:16 PM »
Ya know twinkles, i've never heard a soldier talk like you.   Every soldier i have ever spoken to support the war and they simply say because bush is their commander in chief.  I don't even believe you are in the military, if you are, i'm completely ashamed of you.  You are fucking pathetic.

You must live in a very small town if you believe every solider supports this war....i can tell you that my bro (marine recon...been in bosnia as smart bomb painter as well as other places..been in for 14 years) is not in agreement with this war. he is there because he chooses to be...but all soliders arent brain washed into thinking that every war is just.

Old_Rooster

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2007, 12:40:39 PM »
You must live in a very small town if you believe every solider supports this war....i can tell you that my bro (marine recon...been in bosnia as smart bomb painter as well as other places..been in for 14 years) is not in agreement with this war. he is there because he chooses to be...but all soliders arent brain washed into thinking that every war is just.
when you sign up for the military, you fight the wars, you don't get to pick and choose them and you sure don't bash the commander in chief.  to me, thats a very PISS POOR SOLDIER.
Benjamin Pearson-Pedo

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2007, 12:41:47 PM »

Associated Press

i agree...

when in rome..you acclimate to what the romans do..NOt try acclimate rome to YOU...

kapees blackie?

if a white guy opposed this i'd damn near have a fit..a fucking hissy fit at that..
carpe` vaginum!

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2007, 12:44:12 PM »
when you sign up for the military, you fight the wars, you don't get to pick and choose them and you sure don't bash the commander in chief.  to me, thats a very PISS POOR SOLDIER.

It's called democracy and freedom.. Enigma has the right to be against the war just like you have the right to say stupid shit.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2007, 12:47:08 PM »
i agree...

when in rome..you acclimate to what the romans do..NOt try acclimate rome to YOU...

kapees blackie?

if a white guy opposed this i'd damn near have a fit..a fucking hissy fit at that..

Exactly! When in Rome, do as the Romans would do.  ;) ;)

What pisses me off is whenever the language debate is brought up hispanics resort to the racecard. This issue has nothing to do with race but learning the language of the land.

What's worse is that people want to actually cater to these fucking people by having everything in spanish.  :-\

Old_Rooster

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2007, 12:47:41 PM »
It's called democracy and freedom.. Enigma has the right to be against the war just like you have the right to say stupid shit.
They should toss Enigma out of the military although i never believe these internet warriors are actually in the military.  Most likely a 13 year old kid ranting and playing soldier boy.....   still, hes a piss poor soldier in my book if he is one.
Benjamin Pearson-Pedo

Old_Rooster

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2007, 12:48:22 PM »

What pisses me off is whenever the language debate is brought up hispanics resort to the racecard. This issue has nothing to do with race but learning the language of the land.

What's worse is that people want to actually cater to these fucking people by having everything in spanish.  :-\

who is it again?  taco bell taking peso's for taco's?  i'll never eat that shit again.
Benjamin Pearson-Pedo

Old_Rooster

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2007, 12:49:38 PM »
COCK A DOOOOOOOOOOOOODLE DOOOOO!  Yep, I am da ROOOOOOOOOOOOSTER!
Benjamin Pearson-Pedo

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2007, 12:50:36 PM »

I have many friends in the armed forces. Three are highly educated, one is a engineer the other is attending westpoint the third is with special forces, all disagree with the war. My other friends are less educated, two of them dropped out of high school and dabbled in drugs and alcohol, joined the army, and preach the heroic efforts of the war. Did this story make any sense? If you agree with something back up your opinoun with some educated reasonging, not the usual neo-con dribble.

In the meantime entertain yourself http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgdPcQWdjng

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2007, 12:50:41 PM »

i remmber at the gasstation once some mexican came up to me and said ' inser mexican phrase" to which i replies " hola hoola blAH BLAH yaddaka" to which he said "i dont understand" to which i replied " exactly"!
carpe` vaginum!

Old_Rooster

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2007, 12:52:59 PM »

i remmber at the gasstation once some mexican came up to me and said ' inser mexican phrase" to which i replies " hola hoola blAH BLAH yaddaka" to which he said "i dont understand" to which i replied " exactly"!

hahaha, you are a great american!

I know a guy that ran an apartment complex, handyman, run down apartments mexicano's dwelled in.  one came in complaining about something.......he told him he would be there in a minute to look at the problem.  the mexican left and i asked if he had to go over there and he told me, not til gringo learns the fucking language chief! 
Benjamin Pearson-Pedo

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2007, 01:03:31 PM »
I have many friends in the armed forces. Three are highly educated, one is a engineer the other is attending westpoint the third is with special forces, all disagree with the war. My other friends are less educated, two of them dropped out of high school and dabbled in drugs and alcohol, joined the army, and preach the heroic efforts of the war. Did this story make any sense? If you agree with something back up your opinoun with some educated reasonging, not the usual neo-con dribble.

In the meantime entertain yourself http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgdPcQWdjng

I am a college educated pavement engineer in the Air Force and I support the war.....
gotta love life

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2007, 01:04:32 PM »

That is fucking priceless!!! forget what differences we have had, you're my boy blue!!
gotta love life

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2007, 01:05:19 PM »
hahaha, you are a great american!

no i'm not..according to you i hate america cause i'm anti bush.. :-\
carpe` vaginum!

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2007, 01:06:34 PM »
That is fucking priceless!!! forget what differences we have had, you're my boy blue!!

look mayne..i still dislike bush..NOT cause he went to war...

CAUSE HE SAID WE WENT FOR PHILANTHROPIC REASONS

dont tell me you r going for a good cause when you r going there to make $...

tell me the brutal truth and i'll respect ya and support you..after all ..i live here..
carpe` vaginum!