Author Topic: Kudos to this Coach!  (Read 3140 times)

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
Kudos to this Coach!
« on: April 04, 2007, 06:04:43 AM »
This is what I call sticking up for what you believe in.

Jr. College Coach Resigns After Religious Signs Removed
By The Associated Press

ALEXANDER CITY, Ala. (AP) — Central Alabama Community College baseball coach Don Ingram resigned after the school removed two signs bearing religious messages from the outfield fence.

The 8-foot by 12-foot signs, sold to sponsors for $1,000 apiece, were taken down after the community college received complaints because of their religious nature.

An individual paid for a sign reading "John 3:16" that was sponsored by the school's Fellowship of Christian Athletes chapter. The second sign, sponsored by Prospect Baptist Church, read: "True success is finding out what God wants you to do, then doing it."

"I resigned because I will not compromise my commitment to my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ," Ingram said in a letter mailed to his latest signing class. He added that he didn't fault school administrators for the decision.

Ingram had coached the Trojans for the past eight years. He will remain as coach and athletic director until his contract expires on Aug. 31. He will then serve as an ex-officio member on the board choosing his replacement.

CACC president Linda McGuirt ordered the signs removed on March 1. She cited Alabama State Board of Education policy stating that, "The use of facilities shall be compatible with the philosophy, functions, and objectives of the institution."

Dr. Amelia Pearson, provost and dean of instruction, said the outfield fence of a public institution wasn't the appropriate place for such messages. She said defending against a potential lawsuit wouldn't be the proper use of public funds.

"We appreciate his position on this and he appreciates ours," Pearson told The Alexander City Outlook in a story Thursday. "It's a very amicable situation. He's not hostile towards us and we're not hostile toward him in the slightest. He just felt like that's what he needed to do."

Ingram, a member of Prospect Baptist Church, said he felt like he needed to take a stand for his beliefs.

"I just felt like in this situation, God was pushed back and that's not a position he needs to be in," Ingram said.

"We have to be willing to stand up for what is right. That's why I'm taking this stance."

Copyright 2007 Associated Press. All rights reserved.

The coach's last statement speaks volumes imo. 

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
Re: Kudos to this Coach!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 06:11:14 AM »
Good to see that the secular society is upheld.

Religion shouldn't be part of the public society.

Sorry that this man wanted a religious ad up.

Hopefully, he'll reason and realise that religion should be a private matter.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 06:20:24 AM »

-Hedge
Here's a question, why not ban the FCA too?  Wouldn't an organization that bears the name Fellowship of Christian Athletes be offensive to someone on campus, a parent of a student who attends the college, or hey, how about a local citizen who lives in the neighborhood?  Should the FCA not be allowed to post banners for events that they are hosting?  Also, it's interesting to me that the FCA's money was good enough for the school to take initially, but only when someone complained was it not good enough.  That's hypocritical, is it not?

I have another question?  I wonder if a muslim group put up a banner on the outfield, would the school have had it taken down as well?  I have a strong suspicion that the answer would be a resounding no.

Old_Rooster

• Getbig IV
  • SquadFathers mom gave me a BJ
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 06:26:38 AM »

-Hedge

Its only appropriate to put up cig ads, liquor ads, beer ads in athletic stadiums.  Probably a hooters sign up too.
This nation is going to burn in hell, 95% of you anyway.  Have fun.
Benjamin Pearson-Pedo

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 06:28:58 AM »
Here's a question, why not ban the FCA too?  Wouldn't an organization that bears the name Fellowship of Christian Athletes be offensive to someone on campus, a parent of a student who attends the college, or hey, how about a local citizen who lives in the neighborhood?  Should the FCA not be allowed to post banners for events that they are hosting?  Also, it's interesting to me that the FCA's money was good enough for the school to take initially, but only when someone complained was it not good enough.  That's hypocritical, is it not?

I have another question?  I wonder if a muslim group put up a banner on the outfield, would the school have had it taken down as well?  I have a strong suspicion that the answer would be a resounding no.

There is absolutely no problem with having a Christian Interest Group on campus. As long as they don't have any pull on what goes on at campus. Of course they should be allowed to post event banners on billboards and stuff. As long as they don't spam the campus, that is.

But this was apparently a big ad.

As far as the muslim banner goes: I definitely hope so. It is one reason I think the Christian banner should be brought down. The day I want to pull down a Muslim banner, I don't want to have a history of Christian bias.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 06:29:48 AM »
Its only appropriate to put up cig ads, liquor ads, beer ads in athletic stadiums.  Probably a hooters sign up too.

Didn't know cigarett ads were still legal in the US.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 06:38:30 AM »

Those are business ads and athletic teams are businesses.

Never heard or seen muslim banners in an outfield. If muslim banners were put up then they would need to be brought down.

Old_Rooster

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 06:42:49 AM »
Those are business ads and athletic teams are businesses.

Never heard or seen muslim banners in an outfield. If muslim banners were put up then they would need to be brought down.
great, kiss the muslims ass.
Benjamin Pearson-Pedo

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 06:45:52 AM »
great, kiss the muslims ass.

I said they would need to brought down, dumbass..  ::)

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 06:55:44 AM »
I said they would need to brought down, dumbass..  ::)

But didn't you know that bringing down Muslim banners is kissing Muslim ass?

Better learn quick mate!

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

Old_Rooster

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2007, 06:58:47 AM »
amazing to me how liberals main agenda is getting god out of this country's values.

tis why this generation of kids are basically......well..... shitheads and a waste of human life.
go play your x-box's, something violent, enjoy.
Benjamin Pearson-Pedo

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2007, 07:15:42 AM »
amazing to me how liberals main agenda is getting god out of this country's values.

tis why this generation of kids are basically......well..... shitheads and a waste of human life.

I don't see the connection. Or if there is a connection, it may be the other way around.

Sweden and Canada are less religious than USA. The criminality are lower in both these countries.

Other countries with high religiousity and high criminality: Nigeria, Kongo.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

Old_Rooster

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2007, 07:28:37 AM »
I don't see the connection. Or if there is a connection, it may be the other way around.

Sweden and Canada are less religious than USA. The criminality are lower in both these countries.

-Hedge
religion is the reason for crime?  hmmm, thats a new one.
Benjamin Pearson-Pedo

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
  • I bring you ultimate reality!
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2007, 07:32:30 AM »
Kudos to the college, kudos to the coach.

This is how it's supposed to work.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2007, 07:39:32 AM »

The US was founded as a secular country.

If you need fairy tales from the mideast to tell what good morals are then you are pathetic. How about moral behavior out of respect for your fellow man? Saying that people who aren't religious don't have good values is fucking stupid.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2007, 08:13:14 AM »

You claimed the lack of religiousity was a reason for crime.

I thought I should provide some evidence that suggested otherwise.

It's quite interesting really: Religion is behind many conflicts in the world: Israel/Palestine, India/Pakistan (Islam/Hinduism), Indonesia, Iraq, et al.

You would be amazed if you read about how many conflicts and horrors religions have caused over the years.

Two historical examples: The Inquisition and the Crusades to the Holy Land.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

Debussey

• Getbig IV
  • The shadow braggs about hitting women
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2007, 08:17:06 AM »

No, that is a statistical fact.

Support DEBUSSEYWORLD!

Old_Rooster

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2007, 08:22:00 AM »
The US was founded as a secular country.

If you need fairy tales from the mideast to tell what good morals are then you are pathetic. How about moral behavior out of respect for your fellow man? Saying that people who aren't religious don't have good values is fucking stupid.
people that are not religious have shitty values.
Benjamin Pearson-Pedo

Debussey

• Getbig IV
  • The shadow braggs about hitting women
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2007, 08:29:10 AM »
people that are not religious have shitty values.

Please give arguments that supports your "statement".

If you truly believe what you just wrote at your age, then you are one stupid bastard........... ::)
Support DEBUSSEYWORLD!

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2007, 08:33:38 AM »

-Hedge
What's the correlation between religion and crime?  Explain this too me again?   ???

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2007, 08:35:52 AM »
This is what I call sticking up for what you believe in.

I agree.  Talk about paranoia.  The few (probably one) who complained need to get a life already.  It only takes one Michael Nedow to start a controversy where none exists.  

We don't have a religious-free society.  I see no problem whatsoever with the school accepting paid advertising from a religious source.  This isn't a high school.  It isn't the government endorsing a particular religion.    

Yet another example of an attempt to censor religious expression.    

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2007, 08:40:34 AM »
I agree.  Talk about paranoia.  The few (probably one) who complained need to get a life already.  It only takes one Michael Nedow to start a controversy where none exists.  

We don't have a religious-free society.  I see no problem whatsoever with the school accepting paid advertising from a religious source.  This isn't a high school.  It isn't the government endorsing a particular religion.    

Yep, but it's not religious expression...rather it's Christian expression.  That's what people seem to have a problem with.  Where it Buddha, Church of the Latterday Saints, Scientology, or Muslim....it would have been perfectly ok.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2007, 08:53:15 AM »

-Hedge

The way it is supposed to work here is our government cannot endorse a particular religion or prohibit someone from practicing a particular religion (or no religion).  What we don't have is a society free from religious expression.  We have chaplains on the payroll in our U.S. House and Senate.  Our government leaders talk about their faith all the time.  Our state legislative sessions here begin with prayer.  Our Lt. Gov. is a deeply religious man and often talks about his faith.  Religion is a huge part of our society.  It is impossible to remove it from the public sector. 

We should not allow the government to dictate religious beliefs, but also shouldn't permit censorship either.   

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2007, 08:58:27 AM »
What's the correlation between religion and crime?  Explain this too me again?   ???

This goes back to a post made by Old Rooster:

Old Rooster argues here that the lower influence of religion has led to a generation of shitheads.

I pointed out that in less religious countries, the criminality is lower than in the USA.

Criminality being an indicator on the well being of a society.

Hope this cleared things up somewhat.

So to make the argument that religion should have a more central part in our society, if you merely want the society to function well.

The only reason to preach a religious society IMO, is because one would believe that it is "the righteous way". Sort of how many Muslims reason.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2007, 09:10:32 AM »
I agree.  Talk about paranoia.  The few (probably one) who complained need to get a life already.  It only takes one Michael Nedow to start a controversy where none exists. 

We don't have a religious-free society.  I see no problem whatsoever with the school accepting paid advertising from a religious source.  This isn't a high school.  It isn't the government endorsing a particular religion.   

I definitely see where you're coming from.

There needs to be a certain amount of reason in every decision. Part of this has to do with what was mentioned in the article: Fear of Lawsuits.

I definitely believe that a fundamental change needs to be done to the sueing system that is plagueing the US legal system.

Everywhere there is a fcuking disclaimer these day.

And everywhere someone is looking to sue.

But the key issue: Some reason on how to handle the issue. A banner with a religious ad.

This is no big deal. I understand why it was pulled.

The problems are those schools that teach Intelligent Design, have any religious influences in the school program (such as Christian or Islam classes), et al.

Those are the big problems, which will prevent USA from getting the best possible scientists, engineers, et al.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise