Author Topic: More Wolfowitz sleaze  (Read 1196 times)

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
  • I bring you ultimate reality!
More Wolfowitz sleaze
« on: April 17, 2007, 04:16:32 PM »
I can't even tell you how embarrassed I am that this guy is Jewish.  >:(

--------

Contractor says was told to hire Wolfowitz friend

The U.S. Defense Department ordered a contractor to hire a World Bank employee and girlfriend of then-Pentagon No. 2 Paul Wolfowitz in 2003 for work related to Iraq, the contractor said on Tuesday.

A spokeswoman for Science Applications International Corp., or SAIC, said the Defense Department's policy office directed the company to enter a subcontract with Shaha Riza, under which she spent a month studying ways to form a government in Iraq.

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=politicsNews&storyID=2007-04-17T212326Z_01_N17419856_RTRUKOC_0_US-WORLDBANK-WOLFOWITZ-CONTRACTOR.xml&WTmodLoc=NewsArt-L3-Politics+NewsNews-2

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Re: More Wolfowitz sleaze
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 05:08:49 PM »
Why?  His being Jewish (observant or not) has nothing to do with his history of poor decisions.  Why invite people to make associations that should be nonexistent?

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
  • I bring you ultimate reality!
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 05:26:22 PM »
Why?  His being Jewish (observant or not) has nothing to do with his history of poor decisions.  Why invite people to make associations that should be nonexistent?

On NPR's "The World" today, they were talking with some spokesman for a South Korean association who was very preoccupied with how the Virginia Tech shooting might change people's perceptions of Asians and Koreans in particular. It's something that any minority group will find itself concerned with.

It's no different among my people. When the story of the hero VT professor emerged, I guarantee you there wasn't a Jew in the country who didn't at least briefly consider it in the light of being some good publicity.

On the flip side of that coin: When the negative stereotype of your people is that they're greedy manipulators of financial institutions, the last thing you need is a grossly unqualified Paul Wolfowitz running amok at The World Bank.  :)

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 06:25:52 PM »
With the crap this guy has pulled..nobody thinks of him as a jew just an idiot.
L

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 06:52:35 PM »
More sleaze is great, and the only way to virtually ensure he'll be gone. :D

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 07:52:41 PM »
With the crap this guy has pulled..nobody thinks of him as a jew just an idiot.

Exactly. 

I heard that NPR interview today with the South Korean representative.  His fears, to my mind, were unfounded and misplaced.  Going postal had nothing to to do with that kid being Korean and there is no reason to think of him that way.   

White people commit all kinds of horrible crimes: physical, financial, etc. and they are never spoken of in racial terms, taken as indicative of white character, or as an indictment of white people.  To do that with Koreans, Jews, blacks, or any other group is racist and buys into the very bigotry we are ostensibly opposed to. 

Maybe I’m unusual, but I’ve never thought of Paul Wolfowitz as “jewish” (whatever that means) until you started this thread.  Is that good or bad?

I recently learned that an old friend of mine is Jewish.  I didn’t know this before because

a) in all the time I’ve known him, he never once brought it up. And none of the traditional clues were evident: no mezuzah on his door, no menorah in his house, he doesn’t go to temple, etc.

b) it wasn’t important to me.

I only recently found out because a (new) mutual friend asked about it when he heard my friend’s last name.  Maybe it is the way I was raised or the generation I belong to, but I have never heard someone’s surname and thought "he or she must be Jewish."  I just don't think in those terms.  And I'm proud of that.  :)