Author Topic: BACK TRAINING  (Read 54620 times)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
Re: BACK TRAINING
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2007, 01:32:01 PM »
(can I borrow your hamstrings?)

Sure, if you can even them out for me.  As you can see from the pics, my right hammy is way bigger than my left.   :-\
That's something I need to work on this year too.

Can i borrow your back thickness?   Actually, can I just HAVE it, I don't think I want to give it back.  ;D

:)

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2007, 01:34:42 PM »
How is the back training going Rip? Any new pics?
E

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2007, 01:41:35 PM »
How is the back training going Rip? Any new pics?

It's going OK, thanks for asking. 
I have been a slacker for a while now and am trying to get my shit together for a very productive off-season. 

Believe it or not, I am still receiving and sorting through all of the pics I took in Chicago and NY earlier this summer when I was still nice and lean.  Plenty of those pics floating around...but things have changed considerably with my physique since then, so I haven't been taking very many pics lately lol...maybe once the off-season gets rolling, depending on how things go. 
Back training will be a priority this off-season, although I am thinking about doing a few bench meets, and may be switching alot of things up with my training to focus on maximizing my bench press for the next few months.

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2007, 01:43:36 PM »

Sure, if you can even them out for me.  As you can see from the pics, my right hammy is way bigger than my left.   :-\
That's something I need to work on this year too.

Can i borrow your back thickness?   Actually, can I just HAVE it, I don't think I want to give it back.  ;D

Thats a thick back.

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2007, 01:47:24 PM »

Believe it or not, I am still receiving and sorting through all of the pics I took in Chicago and NY earlier this summer when I was still nice and lean.   

Did you get fat Rip? Why would you do something like that? How much weight have you gained?
E

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2007, 01:53:35 PM »

Did you get fat Rip? Why would you do something like that? How much weight have you gained?

hahahaaaa....
I'm eating and drinking and partying and doing all of those things you told me I should be doing during my contest prep.   :P

I'm not terribly fat per se, but everything feels fat when you have been contest lean. 
I won't be divulging how much weight I have gained, but I've been here before. 
I look like an off-season bodybuilder...which is very likely too fat by your standards.   ::)

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2007, 01:54:14 PM »

hahahaaaa....
I'm eating and drinking and partying and doing all of those things you told me I should be doing during my contest prep.   :P

I'm not terribly fat per se, but everything feels fat when you have been contest lean. 
I won't be divulging how much weight I have gained, but I've been here before. 
I look like an off-season bodybuilder...which is very likely too fat by your standards.   ::)

150?
E

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2007, 01:58:07 PM »
OK luv baby,  :-*...although after seeing the pics that Meddie posted, I'd prefer for my back to look more like Andrulla's.   8)

I knew that back thickness would be my biggest challenge during the off-season when i decided to switch from figure to BB, but if I can make as much progress this year as I did last year, then I will be happy.

Nice!!  :-*  You were IN SHAPE for that show!! Dry and full great work on the conditioning.  The rear Dbl bicep is an awesome pose for you for all kinds of reasons  :P  I really like how you can evaluate your own physique and then go after what you have to do.  There is no doubt in my mind that you will bring your back up this offseason and reach your goals.  It looks great now and I know will only get better.

Remember this Rip Baby, the women who you will be competing against in the nationals are in the gym right now balls to the wall with the same thing in mind....what are you gonna do about that?

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2007, 01:59:38 PM »

Remember this Rip Baby, the women who you will be competing against in the nationals are in the gym right now balls to the wall with the same thing in mind....what are you gonna do about that?

She is going to out post them, I'll tell you that much!
E

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2007, 02:00:25 PM »
150?

NO, that would be a record for me.  
I was 123 when I took those pics with The Beast in NYC last month (July 15), and I was still quite lean then.  I haven't weighed myself since then LOL but I would be willing to bet that I've gained another 10 pounds easily since then.   ;D

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2007, 02:02:56 PM »

NO, that would be a record for me. 
I was 123 when I took those pics with The Beast in NYC last month (July 15), and I was still quite lean then.  I haven't weighed myself since then LOL but I would be willing to bet that I've gained another 10 pounds easily since then.   ;D

Well, thats not fat. 133 is a little plump, but not fat ;)
E

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2007, 02:04:25 PM »
Nice!!  :-*  You were IN SHAPE for that show!! Dry and full great work on the conditioning.  The rear Dbl bicep is an awesome pose for you for all kinds of reasons  :P  I really like how you can evaluate your own physique and then go after what you have to do.  There is no doubt in my mind that you will bring your back up this offseason and reach your goals.  It looks great now and I know will only get better.

Thanks Luv baby!  I hear ya man, that's exactly why I am trying to get my shit together NOW.  I need to get ahead of the game!!  I think about that quite a bit when I am feeling lazy.   :)

She is going to out post them, I'll tell you that much!

Look who's talking... ::)

Where's your back shot danielson?  You are the trainer of the next Mr. Getbig, so I'd love to hear some of your advice about back training as well.   :)

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2007, 02:06:00 PM »

Look who's talking... ::)

Where's your back shot danielson?  You are the trainer of the next Mr. Getbig, so I'd love to hear some of your advice about back training as well.   :)

Calm down now killer, if you want some much needed advice all you had to do is ask. ;D
E

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2007, 02:22:58 PM »
Well, thats not fat. 133 is a little plump, but not fat ;)

I'll give you that..."pleasantly plump"   ;D

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2007, 03:25:24 PM »
Calm down now killer, if you want some much needed advice all you had to do is ask. ;D

;D, I love using that, for all the tough guys.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2007, 01:50:18 PM »

Thanks Luv baby!  I hear ya man, that's exactly why I am trying to get my shit together NOW.  I need to get ahead of the game!!  I think about that quite a bit when I am feeling lazy.   :)

No problem rip you can count on me to help keep you on track  :)

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2007, 09:20:23 PM »
Well did back on Tuesday and am still SORE.  Took Bluto's advice and concentrated on width exercises.  I also adjusted my hand position a little wider on the pull ups and downs.

Wide grip pull ups 5x10-12 at the end of the sets for the last 3 reps or so I did a nice and slow negative, ouch.  Still just using my BW about 205lbs as I get lighter I will need to add weight.  Last set I did about 5 forced reps.

Seated cable rows 5x8-12

Hammer reverse grip pull downs 4x10-12 its kind of an odd exercises that I don't do often but felt hard so I think I will do it more LOL

Wide grip pull downs 4x10-12  I stay pretty light, (not that at that point I could have gone heavy  :P) on these just trying to feel the lats working. 

Cross bench DB pullovers 3x10-12  I really like these and should probally do them more.  People say they feel them in their chest most, I don't and can really feel them pumping my lats up.  A good finishing movement.

For the Arnold fans  :)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2007, 04:16:18 AM »
Well did back on Tuesday and am still SORE.  Took Bluto's advice and concentrated on width exercises.  I also adjusted my hand position a little wider on the pull ups and downs.
Wide grip pull ups 5x10-12 at the end of the sets for the last 3 reps or so I did a nice and slow negative, ouch.  Still just using my BW about 205lbs as I get lighter I will need to add weight.  Last set I did about 5 forced reps.
Seated cable rows 5x8-12
Hammer reverse grip pull downs 4x10-12 its kind of an odd exercises that I don't do often but felt hard so I think I will do it more LOL
Wide grip pull downs 4x10-12  I stay pretty light, (not that at that point I could have gone heavy  :P) on these just trying to feel the lats working. 
Cross bench DB pullovers 3x10-12  I really like these and should probally do them more.  People say they feel them in their chest most, I don't and can really feel them pumping my lats up.  A good finishing movement.

For the Arnold fans  :)

Nice pics.  For a second there, I thought that was you Luv baby!   ;D    :-*

I was gonna ask about the pullovers.  I do alot of them with the cable (standing up), but it always seems that they burn up my arms, particularly my tris.  I haven't mastered the form on the dumbell pullovers, but I also haven't done them in a long time.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2007, 04:59:03 AM »

Nice pics.  For a second there, I thought that was you Luv baby!   ;D    :-*

LOL very sweet of you to say ripitup baaaby  ;D ;D  :-* :-*

I was gonna ask about the pullovers.  I do alot of them with the cable (standing up), but it always seems that they burn up my arms, particularly my tris.  I haven't mastered the form on the dumbell pullovers, but I also haven't done them in a long time.

Well I would give them a try again if I was you, Arnie is demonstrating the form pretty damn well there, especially in that side shot.  You can also do them on a flat bench and just do them off the end, that is said to be safer for the back also as your spine is supported.  The pullover machines I have used are so-so, you may have the Nautilus one at your gym and if I remember that was one of the better ones IMO.  The machines just don't seem to give the stretch and feel the DB ones do for me.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2007, 12:00:23 PM »
Well I would give them a try again if I was you, Arnie is demonstrating the form pretty damn well there, especially in that side shot.  You can also do them on a flat bench and just do them off the end, that is said to be safer for the back also as your spine is supported.  The pullover machines I have used are so-so, you may have the Nautilus one at your gym and if I remember that was one of the better ones IMO.  The machines just don't seem to give the stretch and feel the DB ones do for me.

I may try them on the flat bench.   The pics of Arnold are inspiring!   :o
I used to go to a gym with a ribcage pullover machine, and I loved it...I used it all the time...although I can't say for sure that it really hit my lats that hard.  I did used to feel it in my chest as well.  But it's been years since I have used one.  That's one Nautilus machine we don't have at my current gym.

BTW, I did do some chin ups this week with my back workout, and I am embarassed to say it didn't go very well.  Maybe it's because I am a lot heavier that I was 2 months ago and not much stronger.   :-\
I did close grip chins (the easiest!), and I managed 8 for my first set, and then only 5 for the following three sets.  And I am very sore! 

Keep up the good work Luv Baby!   :)

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2007, 05:28:04 PM »

I may try them on the flat bench.   The pics of Arnold are inspiring!   :o
I used to go to a gym with a ribcage pullover machine, and I loved it...I used it all the time...although I can't say for sure that it really hit my lats that hard.  I did used to feel it in my chest as well.  But it's been years since I have used one.  That's one Nautilus machine we don't have at my current gym.

BTW, I did do some chin ups this week with my back workout, and I am embarassed to say it didn't go very well.  Maybe it's because I am a lot heavier that I was 2 months ago and not much stronger.   :-\
I did close grip chins (the easiest!), and I managed 8 for my first set, and then only 5 for the following three sets.  And I am very sore! 

Keep up the good work Luv Baby!   :)

Are those chins you did with and underhand grip?  If they are im calling the airlines right now to get my ticket to come give you that spanking!!   >:(.............  :P

Do you guys have that type of pull up machine that assists you?  If not have someone spot you by your feet, just cross them, till you can start doing them on your own for 6 reps or so.  All kidding aside thats good, but remember I have that ticket agency on speed dial sweetie  :D

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2007, 05:44:04 PM »
Are those chins you did with and underhand grip?  If they are im calling the airlines right now to get my ticket to come give you that spanking!!   >:(.............  :P

Do you guys have that type of pull up machine that assists you?  If not have someone spot you by your feet, just cross them, till you can start doing them on your own for 6 reps or so.  All kidding aside thats good, but remember I have that ticket agency on speed dial sweetie  :D

UH OH!!!    ;D

Actually they weren't under-handed, they were close grip with palms facing each other...know what I mean?   Still, they are the easier ones lol. 
We do have an assisted pullup machine, I just wanted to try them by myself, and I didnt have anyone to hold my feet.   :-[

I'll work the assisted one wide grip and let you know how it goes.  I wouldn't want you to have to get your travel agent on the job......WAIT, lemme think about that again.................hm mmmmm........WELLL...... ..........hmmmmmmmmmmmmm mm.....

NAH, I guess I will do them wide grip next time!     :D

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2007, 07:28:10 PM »

UH OH!!!    ;D

Actually they weren't under-handed, they were close grip with palms facing each other...know what I mean?   Still, they are the easier ones lol. 
We do have an assisted pullup machine, I just wanted to try them by myself, and I didnt have anyone to hold my feet.   :-[

I'll work the assisted one wide grip and let you know how it goes.  I wouldn't want you to have to get your travel agent on the job......WAIT, lemme think about that again.................hm mmmmm........WELLL...... ..........hmmmmmmmmmmmmm mm.....

NAH, I guess I will do them wide grip next time!     :D

LOL, darn it  :)

Yeah I know the kind you mean those are good too.  Actually at my gym there is really no good place to do those.  I will sometimes put a close grip handle like from the cable rows over a bar in a squat rack and do them there but its not the best set up.

Keep pumping ripitupbaby!

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2007, 09:29:05 PM »
Great points!  I do like to check out the anatomy books as they will give good information about how the different muscles affect movement, and you can incorporate this into your training.

http://www.humankinetics.com/products/showproduct.cfm?isbn=0736048138

http://books.google.com/books?id=YTdsosIQrv4C&dq=&pg=PP1&ots=mUMHaxaVfx&sig=oJCb6QtBTu0lELG_MBLmOEWZ15s&prev=http://www.google.com/search%3Fhl%3Den%26ie%3DISO-8859-1%26q%3Dweight%2Btraining%2Banatomy%26btnG%3DGoogle%2BSearch&sa=X&oi=print&ct=title

I'm familiar with those books. They're pretty much groundbreaking. I hope the author comes out with more of them.

For a straight up anatomy book, this one takes it to a whole 'nother level.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2007, 03:54:03 AM »
I used the weight assisted pull up machine to do wide grip negatives last night....three sets, first exercise. 
They are TOUGH! 
My arms were shaking lol.