Author Topic: Power Lifting  (Read 23076 times)

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
Power Lifting
« on: December 29, 2008, 09:08:47 PM »
SOOOOOO  following my great friend Lori I have decided I want to do a powerlifting meet at the end of my off-season.  This past weekend I had the amazing opportunity to train with my friend Becca Swanson and she got me completely fired up to compete.  She taught me proper form for squatting and deadlifting and we got some initial lifts to work from.  Unfortunately we didn't get to benching which is probably my weakest point.  She is in Omaha and I was only there for the holiday but I am considering spending a few weeks out there in March or April to get some time in with her.

If you don't know who she is here is a link to her homepage: http://www.beccaswanson.com/swanson_home.html

Then I got to speak to Lori about it and any doubts that I may have had she put out.  I only wish that we were closer so we could training together...it is so incredible to talk to people who are passionate about what they do.  In any case I am in and with the help or Lori and Becca will hopefully find a meet in April or May to have a go at it.

My initial lifts this weekend with Becca were
Squat: 315  (this was with a knee wrap from Becca that nearly amputated my legs so we will see what I can do without her)
Deadlift: 275

Today I benched and I have no idea on the correct form.  Lori is going to send me some links to show me proper technique but today I put up 155.  I was excited only because I have never really maxed out on bench so it was interesting to try it out.

In the meantime I am going to check out the powerlifting gyms in my area...there is nothing CLOSE but within an hour there is maybe 3 gyms that are hardcore and have teams.

I am not sure if this will be a training log but I will try to keep track of my training.

Jennifer

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
Re: Power Lifting
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 09:24:29 PM »
Hi Beast you been quiet.

This is great, it is nice that you ladies are doing PF meets.
I remember an artical on Becca a few years ago in the FLEX and I was impressed.
Go for it  ;)

freespirit

• Getbig V
  • Revolt!
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 01:10:17 AM »
I am not sure if this will be a training log but I will try to keep track of my training.

Fantastic! Pictures, perhaps?   :)

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 04:27:10 AM »
Pretty cool, Beast sounds like she will be good at it too. 

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 06:43:19 AM »
This will be awesome!  You're gonna love it.  And I am pretty sure that you will be amazed by the gains you make not just in your strength but also with your physique when you diet down for your next comp. 

Check the Powerlifting Board, there is a pretty good thread that is stickied about how to set up for a bench press.  I'll send you some vids, etc. 

I'll be starting my training journal on the Training Board sometime in the next couple of weeks too, and I am getting psyched about this off-season!!

And don't forget that training threads really aren't complete without plenty of pics and vids of your own.   ;D

:)

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 11:22:03 AM »
Cant wait to see and hear about ur progress beast. :)

The_Leafy_Bug

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 06:43:42 PM »
I n t e r e s t i n g  lifts beast.... I would like to see those  :)

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 07:48:48 PM »
Your right Leafy I am going to make these lifts up and enter a powerlifting meet so I can look like an idiot.  I was with Becca Swanson, maybe you don't know who she is but she is a real powerlifter and she called the lift good, I trust her.

Let me post what you actually pmed me

You are such a fucking liar. 315 squats rofl  ::). I wouldn't mind seeing that deadlift either. You should compete in USPF. You will be a national record holder  ::)  ;D

And I wonder why I stopped posting on this board for awhile...maybe you should learn to appreciate your peers instead of just putting them down. 

Now to teach you how to look up correct information on the internet, here are the resords for the federation you suggested
http://wvuspf.com/Oct%2020%202008%20WPF%20Womens%20Powerlifting%20Records.pdf

My current weight is 142 so I would asssume that I would compete at the 60 kilogram or 67.5 kilogram weight class...the current record for the 60 kilogram class is 185 kilograms or 408 lbs...the 67.5 weightclass is actually lower at 165 kilograms or 364 lbs.

Now am I planning on doing powerlifting because I think I could kick some ass if I train hard for it, yep...I am built to squat so I would love to take down one of those records.

Jennifer

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 08:13:33 PM »
This will be awesome!  You're gonna love it.  And I am pretty sure that you will be amazed by the gains you make not just in your strength but also with your physique when you diet down for your next comp. 

Check the Powerlifting Board, there is a pretty good thread that is stickied about how to set up for a bench press.  I'll send you some vids, etc. 

I'll be starting my training journal on the Training Board sometime in the next couple of weeks too, and I am getting psyched about this off-season!!

And don't forget that training threads really aren't complete without plenty of pics and vids of your own.   ;D
good advice i dont do powerlifting but ive gotten good advice from the powerlifting board and also from guys commenting on my training journal on the training board actually its pretty much the same guys from both boards...they have really gotten my strength up from before i started posting on those boards i mean by a bunch...There is hardly ever any negative comments AND bonus the powerlifting board has competitions from time to time.  ;D

At any rate good luck beast i remember seeing pics of you when i first got on this board and you have made amazing progress.

rip you need to start a journal on the training board i never get over here to this board and you left the powerlifting board so nobody knows what up with you anymore. ???

The_Leafy_Bug

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 12:14:06 AM »
Your right Leafy I am going to make these lifts up and enter a powerlifting meet so I can look like an idiot.  I was with Becca Swanson, maybe you don't know who she is but she is a real powerlifter and she called the lift good, I trust her.

Let me post what you actually pmed me

You are such a fucking liar. 315 squats rofl  ::). I wouldn't mind seeing that deadlift either. You should compete in USPF. You will be a national record holder  ::)  ;D

And I wonder why I stopped posting on this board for awhile...maybe you should learn to appreciate your peers instead of just putting them down. 

Now to teach you how to look up correct information on the internet, here are the resords for the federation you suggested
http://wvuspf.com/Oct%2020%202008%20WPF%20Womens%20Powerlifting%20Records.pdf

My current weight is 142 so I would asssume that I would compete at the 60 kilogram or 67.5 kilogram weight class...the current record for the 60 kilogram class is 185 kilograms or 408 lbs...the 67.5 weightclass is actually lower at 165 kilograms or 364 lbs.

Now am I planning on doing powerlifting because I think I could kick some ass if I train hard for it, yep...I am built to squat so I would love to take down one of those records.

That PM was frivolous but i guess when your screen name is "the beast" you have to take everything serious... because the internet is srs business. That's really cool  ::). Have fun "the BEAST"  ::). That screen name is about as gay as Ripitupbaby  ;D

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 06:17:17 AM »
That PM was frivolous but i guess when your screen name is "the beast" you have to take everything serious... because the internet is srs business. That's really cool  ::). Have fun "the BEAST"  ::). That screen name is about as gay as Ripitupbaby  ;D

hahaha OK "The_Leafy_Bug" ::)

good advice i dont do powerlifting but ive gotten good advice from the powerlifting board and also from guys commenting on my training journal on the training board actually its pretty much the same guys from both boards...they have really gotten my strength up from before i started posting on those boards i mean by a bunch...There is hardly ever any negative comments AND bonus the powerlifting board has competitions from time to time.  ;D

At any rate good luck beast i remember seeing pics of you when i first got on this board and you have made amazing progress.

rip you need to start a journal on the training board i never get over here to this board and you left the powerlifting board so nobody knows what up with you anymore. ???

Jenny, it's true, the guys on the PL Board (and the Training Board) here are very helpful... definitely don't be shy to ask questions along the way. 

Tony, I'll be doing my training log this year on the Training Board.  I've been bodybuilding for a while, so my workouts haven't exactly been worth keeping track of, but I am excited to get back into powerlifting now for a while!  I'm going to start following a Sheiko-type protocol next week probably, and I am pretty psyched about it!

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2008, 06:47:37 AM »

Maybe you don't understand how frustrating it gets to have to defend yourself constantly on the boards...and answer to posters who remain nameless on a keyboard.  Maybe you felt you were being moitvational or funny-to us who get pm's like this often it is just annoying.  I think I did a good job this past year in bodybuilding proving that I belong on stage with those other girls.  I am not going to get into something I am bad at-just isn't me and I am not a liar.
Jennifer

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2008, 01:35:51 PM »
good stuff on the pl'ing Beast, i must admit that like Leafy i'm a little doubtful on the 315 squat but if you say you did i believe you, any video of it?

MuscleKing

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2008, 07:57:53 PM »

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2009, 07:27:23 AM »

:o

LMAO there is no way that the person in the second pic is Becca.   ;D

MuscleKing

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2009, 10:31:29 AM »
 :o

The_Leafy_Bug

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2009, 12:32:27 PM »

I think that bottom picture is of that Lori girl who posts on this forum? She said she is like a bodybuilder or something.... i dunno  ::). Claims to power lift in the "offseason"

bthomas77

• Getbig II
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2009, 01:43:14 PM »
hey there Ms. TheBeast.....thats freaking awesome.  your gonna kick some ass powerlifting.

go get em.

hope you are doing well young lady......and i hope you have an awesome 2009

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2009, 09:21:19 PM »
Thanks Tony for the good info and compliiments :)  I will have to check out the powerlifting board and post a bit over there...

I am just checking out some of the info Lori sent me and I am going to try to visit a few powerlifting gyms this weekend to check out there teams and what they have going on.

No I don't have video as of yet, I will see if my camera still works and try to bring it on my next heavy day.  Right now my focus is on finding a good gym to train so sorry to disappoint.

Jennifer

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2009, 05:02:48 AM »
Thanks Tony for the good info and compliiments :)  I will have to check out the powerlifting board and post a bit over there...

I am just checking out some of the info Lori sent me and I am going to try to visit a few powerlifting gyms this weekend to check out there teams and what they have going on.

No I don't have video as of yet, I will see if my camera still works and try to bring it on my next heavy day.  Right now my focus is on finding a good gym to train so sorry to disappoint.

Gotta say BEAST does things!  I have no doubt she will find a PL gym. get on the team and kick some butt.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2009, 06:13:51 AM »
Jenny, the best initial investments in equipment to make are the belt and weightlifting shoes.  Those will total about $300, so I would start there and get yourself going on the training. 
The shoes are a MUST imo.  You should only use your belt on the heaviest DL and Squat days (once every three weeks?), so the belt isn't quite as essential in the immediate future.

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2009, 11:49:10 PM »
This weekend I went out to a powerlifting gym in Aurora, IL, Frantz Gym.  It is old-school and run by Ernie Frantz-a powerlifting legend.  I got to meet Ernie, he still coaches the team and still gets under the bar at over 70!  It was pretty awesome to see him squat over 500 pounds!!!  I am going to lift at the gym with the team on Saturdays and some Wednesdays. 

There are a bunch of guys on the team and everyone there was very helpful.  They ended up getting me into a pair of breifs...they were pushing the suit but I wanted to take it a bit slower.  Ok, if you have never gotten into squatting briefs let me tell you that it is a treat.  The shorts took me probably 7 minutes to get all the way on, they are TIGHT. 

They have a monolift there as well, I wanted to avoid this only because some federations have you walk out the bar and I don't want to get use to something and not have it when I compete...well I did end up using the monolift on my last lift.  My heaviest lift at the gym that I walked out was 300...with the monolift and the briefs I hit 336 (they use a heavier bar on the monolift with I think they said was 56 pounds...)  So now I am going to take it easy for a few weeks and not do a one rep max.  To be completely honest the 336 wasn't really tough, my form was a bit off which I need to work on and I am going into more of a lifting program (thanks LORI!!) where you don't do one rep maxes often.

Anyway it looks like with the USAPL I can use a squat suit and briefs along with 2 m. wraps, unfortunately on that last lift I used 2.5 m. wraps which imo are far superior plus the monolift which looks to not be allowed.  It is really too bad that the rules through each federation aren't the same. 

I also found out that Illinois has their State Meet in March (APF).  This does present a bit of a problem, I don't think I will be near ready to compete at my best by March but I want to lift with the team this year and think that this will at least be a starting point for me.  With my training plan I am going to focus on a show in early June or late May.

Thanks everyone for their support
Jennifer

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2009, 11:56:04 PM »
Actually now that I read for the 10th time over the rules it looks like I was wrong in regards to a squat suit and briefs...it doesn't look like any of that is legal in the federation.  I will have to call them soon to find out the specifics!!
Jennifer

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2009, 04:03:49 AM »
I'm not positive I believe you can use single-ply shirts and suits, and 2 m knee wraps in the APF, USAPL, and USPF... not sure about briefs though.  I think that the bench shirts have to be closed in the back as well. 

Best to check the most restrictive (USAPL, USPF, I think) and train by those rules so that you have maximum flexibility when it comes to competing.  :)

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2009, 07:28:21 AM »
This weekend I went out to a powerlifting gym in Aurora, IL, Frantz Gym.  It is old-school and run by Ernie Frantz-a powerlifting legend.  I got to meet Ernie, he still coaches the team and still gets under the bar at over 70!  It was pretty awesome to see him squat over 500 pounds!!!  I am going to lift at the gym with the team on Saturdays and some Wednesdays. 

There are a bunch of guys on the team and everyone there was very helpful.  They ended up getting me into a pair of breifs...they were pushing the suit but I wanted to take it a bit slower.  Ok, if you have never gotten into squatting briefs let me tell you that it is a treat.  The shorts took me probably 7 minutes to get all the way on, they are TIGHT. 

They have a monolift there as well, I wanted to avoid this only because some federations have you walk out the bar and I don't want to get use to something and not have it when I compete...well I did end up using the monolift on my last lift.  My heaviest lift at the gym that I walked out was 300...with the monolift and the briefs I hit 336 (they use a heavier bar on the monolift with I think they said was 56 pounds...)  So now I am going to take it easy for a few weeks and not do a one rep max.  To be completely honest the 336 wasn't really tough, my form was a bit off which I need to work on and I am going into more of a lifting program (thanks LORI!!) where you don't do one rep maxes often.

Anyway it looks like with the USAPL I can use a squat suit and briefs along with 2 m. wraps, unfortunately on that last lift I used 2.5 m. wraps which imo are far superior plus the monolift which looks to not be allowed.  It is really too bad that the rules through each federation aren't the same. 

I also found out that Illinois has their State Meet in March (APF).  This does present a bit of a problem, I don't think I will be near ready to compete at my best by March but I want to lift with the team this year and think that this will at least be a starting point for me.  With my training plan I am going to focus on a show in early June or late May.

Thanks everyone for their support

awesome lift Jennifer, get a pic of it next time, i'd love to see it.