Author Topic: Roberts: Scene at State of Union 'Very Troubling'  (Read 6835 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Roberts: Scene at State of Union 'Very Troubling'
« on: March 10, 2010, 10:58:27 AM »
He's right. 

Tuesday, 09 Mar 2010     

U.S. Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts says the scene at this year's State of the Union address by President Obama was "very troubling," and he wonders if justices should attend in the future.

Obama chided the court during his speech for its decision that corporations and unions could freely spend money to run political ads for or against specific candidates.

Editor's Note: Watch video at bottom of article.

Obama said the Supreme Court reversed a century of law to open the floodgates for special interests to spend without limit in elections.

Roberts told law students at the University of Alabama that anyone is free to criticize the court, but he was troubled the remarks came during that setting. Roberts says the State of the Union address has "degenerated to a political pep rally."

http://newsmax.com/InsideCover/US-Supreme-Court-Roberts/2010/03/09/id/352155

12secGT

• Getbig III
Re: Roberts: Scene at State of Union 'Very Troubling'
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 11:09:47 AM »
He's right. 

Tuesday, 09 Mar 2010     

U.S. Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts says the scene at this year's State of the Union address by President Obama was "very troubling," and he wonders if justices should attend in the future.

Obama chided the court during his speech for its decision that corporations and unions could freely spend money to run political ads for or against specific candidates.

Editor's Note: Watch video at bottom of article.

Obama said the Supreme Court reversed a century of law to open the floodgates for special interests to spend without limit in elections.

Roberts told law students at the University of Alabama that anyone is free to criticize the court, but he was troubled the remarks came during that setting. Roberts says the State of the Union address has "degenerated to a political pep rally."

It was childish. Imature, and show's what an elitist Obama is.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 11:13:10 AM »
I completely agree.  That was quite poor.

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 11:13:57 AM »
By the way,Obama isn't worthy to tie the shoes of Roberts.He isn't in the same league with him intellectually.

12secGT

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 11:15:21 AM »
By the way,Obama isn't worthy to tie the shoes of Roberts.He isn't in the same league with him intellectually.
What do you mean?? Obama is a legend in his own mind...

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 01:27:17 PM »
you goddamn pussies.....he's the president of the United States for crying out loud...he's basically king of the world ...he can criticize anyone he wants to at any time he chooses....

Justice Roberts is just crying like a bitch..if he doesn't like it..QUIT..otherwise, STFU

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 01:34:59 PM »
you goddamn pussies.....he's the president of the United States for crying out loud...he's basically king of the world ...he can criticize anyone he wants to at any time he chooses....

Justice Roberts is just crying like a bitch..if he doesn't like it..QUIT..otherwise, STFU

No he is not king!  He is a part of the 3 equal branches of Govt. and Chief Executive. 

If you want a King, go to The Vault in Chelsea on the lower west side of NYC and go find one with a leather mask and bend over.

For the rest of us, Obama is no king, but a 4 year mistake at best who temporarily heads the executive branch.       

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 01:44:10 PM »
No he is not king!  He is a part of the 3 equal branches of Govt. and Chief Executive. 

If you want a King, go to The Vault in Chelsea on the lower west side of NYC and go find one with a leather mask and bend over.

For the rest of us, Obama is no king, but a 4 year mistake at best who temporarily heads the executive branch.       

so says another Palin Booster

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 01:56:31 PM »
See I figured the andreisdaman post we being sarchastic so I ignored it.

But if that is what you really think, seek professional help immediatly
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 01:56:47 PM »

Wow,incredible!!!Hey jerkoff there are THREE EQUAL branches of government.Three EQUAL branches.You obviously are an idiot.Obama is a filthy liitle coon crying like a bitch that the supreme court took money out of the scum bag unions hand and put it back into Americans hands in elections!!!Roberts bitch slapped that coon and ass raped him with that decision.By the way,notice the courts TRUMP the president BITCH!!!!!!!!

Mons Venus

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 02:31:22 PM »

October 29, 2002

If Only I Were A King Dictator, by George W. Bush

"You don't get everything you want. A dictatorship would be a lot easier." Describing what it's like to be governor of Texas.

--Governing Magazine 7/98)

"I told all four that there are going to be some times where we don't agree with each other, but that's OK. If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator," said Bush

-- CNN.com, December 18, 2000

"A dictatorship would be a heck of a lot easier, there's no question about it, " [Bush] said.

-- Business Week, July 30, 2001

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 02:35:41 PM »
October 29, 2002

"You don't get everything you want. A dictatorship would be a lot easier." Describing what it's like to be governor of Texas.

"I told all four that there are going to be some times where we don't agree with each other, but that's OK. If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator," said Bush

"A dictatorship would be a heck of a lot easier, there's no question about it, " [Bush] said.

Whats your point? Oh thats right we are going to play the lets quantify everything with GWB who by the way hasn't been POTUS for a year now ::)

Nice try bloomin' onion.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2010, 02:53:36 PM »
October 29, 2002

And?  GWB deserves the scron he gets for his tin ear. 

What about MAObama?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 06:47:29 PM »
October 29, 2002

WOW youre a piece of shit first off I think all would agree that given our govt it would be easier to get shit done if you were a dictator...obama would certainly agree given that he is trying to ram shit down our throats that america doesnt want  ::)

second the 2nd quote was a joke "I told all four that there are going to be some times where we don't agree with each other, but that's OK. If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator," Bush joked.

I like how you replaced joked with said  ::)

most philosophers agree that a benevolent dictatorship is the best form of govt...

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2010, 07:27:59 PM »
Didn't Bush 1 and 2 and Reagan also criticize SC decision in various State of the Union addresses.

Let's not forget that 4 justices voted against the decision too and in essence Obama was supporting them.

Personally, I think it was a horrible decision and will have disasterous results for our country

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2010, 08:37:57 PM »

Aside from that, What does everyone think about this law that's been reversed?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2010, 11:04:31 PM »
"Didn't Bush 1 and 2 and Reagan also criticize SC decision in various State of the Union addresses."

I call bullshit.  Obama was the first one to do this.  No way a repub could be that fvcking disrepectful.

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2010, 06:29:15 AM »

The first amendment allows freedom of speech,something Obama is only comfortable with when it comes to dems.There are already laws on the books banning foreign interests from giving money for elections in this country.Obama=liar!

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2010, 06:36:05 AM »

It is the final nail in everyman's coffin, forever to silence his political voice.

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2010, 06:39:20 AM »
It is the final nail in everyman's coffin, forever to silence his political voice.

No,its the final nail in filthy unions coffin as they steal money from members and give it to pieces of shit like Obama when the member doesnt want them to.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2010, 07:20:24 AM »

Oh please.  Campaign Finance Reform is about protecting politicians' jobs, not you. 

This was a good ruling and I really wonder why you want the govt regulating free speech.   

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2010, 07:22:49 AM »
No,its the final nail in filthy unions coffin as they steal money from members and give it to pieces of shit like Obama when the member doesnt want them to.

Allowing corporations to be individuals when it comes to political contributions means your voice will never be heard again. Best you can hope for is corporations or the insanely wealthy have an agenda consistent with a few of your values.

This is bigger than partisan politics but people are too wrapped up in their own BS to realize the Supreme Court just sold us out.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2010, 07:26:50 AM »
Allowing corporations to be individuals when it comes to political contributions means your voice will never be heard again. Best you can hope for is corporations or the insanely wealthy have an agenda consistent with a few of your values.

This is bigger than partisan politics but people are too wrapped up in their own BS to realize the Supreme Court just sold us out.

No its not, if Obama decides to target my S Corp to make a political statement , shouldnt the entity be able defend itself and donate to his opposition or opponent? 

CFR has been unconstitutional from day one. 

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2010, 07:39:36 AM »
No its not, if Obama decides to target my S Corp to make a political statement , shouldnt the entity be able defend itself and donate to his opposition or opponent? 

CFR has been unconstitutional from day one. 

We'll just have to agree to disagree, bro. This has far reaching effects and ultimately our political process will be controlled by corporations which will further allow offshore interests to dictate the political process.

I'm personally for eliminating lobbyists and only allowing individual contributions up to a certain dollar amount. Only certain Americans can afford free speech as it is, this change shuts them up for good because they'll never have any means to speak louder than corporations.

Look at all the crap we have now with lobbyists.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2010, 07:45:18 AM »
We'll just have to agree to disagree, bro. This has far reaching effects and ultimately our political process will be controlled by corporations which will further allow offshore interests to dictate the political process.

I'm personally for eliminating lobbyists and only allowing individual contributions up to a certain dollar amount. Only certain Americans can afford free speech as it is, this change shuts them up for good because they'll never have any means to speak louder than corporations.

Look at all the crap we have now with lobbyists.

And then the media will have full sway. 

What is wrong with the NRA donating money to candidates?