Author Topic: Mike Huckabee links brain dead California girl to Nazi death camps, forced abort  (Read 4024 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
They don't trust independent doctors either. It's a tragic situation for a parent to lose their child, especially a largely "meaningless" (I use the term loosely) loss over something like tonsil surgery. I feel for them, but their daughter is well and truly dead. Brain death isn't a fancy kind of sleep. It's death.  

Frankly, it's a pity to see resources that could be devoted to helping people who do have a chance at recovery - even a minimal one - being diverted to "help" someone who's dead.

I agree it's a tragedy.  Not sure this is diverting resources from any specific patient.  Tough situation all around. 

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
I agree it's a tragedy.  Not sure this is diverting resources from any specific patient.  Tough situation all around. 

It is a tough situation - no argument there. As for the diversion issue: the facility that has decided to accept the girl has only limited resources - I don't think that this is a point of contention. With those resources committed to this girl, they become unavailable for other uses.

Of course, the facility in question can decide how to deploy their limited resources - I wouldn't presume to tell them how they should operate, nor do I think anyone else (including the Government) should.

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Reminds me of the terry schiavo case where all the right nuts said she was responding but when they did the autopsy her brain was mush

avxo

• Getbig V
Reminds me of the terry schiavo case where all the right nuts said she was responding but when they did the autopsy her brain was mush

The travesty with the Terri Schiavo case wasn't what people (especially members of her immediate and extended family) said, although many who did speak made fools out of themselves. The travesty was what a certain group of people did. I am referring to Florida Governor Jeb Bush, President George W. Bush and a large group of Senators and Representatives. Their actions were disgraceful.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
It is a tough situation - no argument there. As for the diversion issue: the facility that has decided to accept the girl has only limited resources - I don't think that this is a point of contention. With those resources committed to this girl, they become unavailable for other uses.

Of course, the facility in question can decide how to deploy their limited resources - I wouldn't presume to tell them how they should operate, nor do I think anyone else (including the Government) should.

I don't know anything about the facility, although it doesn't sound like a situation where they don't have enough space.  It's not like the girl requires ongoing attention by doctors.  She's likely being kept alive by a respirator.  She's essentially already dead.  It's expensive, but not really something that requires a lot of manpower.  

I agree the government should not be involved if the facility has volunteered to provide treatment, even if the treatment is futile.    

Dos Equis

• Getbig V

It's not like the Schiavo case, because that primarily involved a dispute between family members.  And it was the family, not "right nuts" who started with the videos claiming she was responding to them. 

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
The right wing nuts sure jumped on th band wagon  :D :D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
The right wing nuts sure jumped on th band wagon  :D :D

Ok.   ::)

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V

Are you saying they didn't

I don't agree with your characterization of "right nuts," which is silly.  You should read a wiki link or something about the case. 

avxo

• Getbig V
Ok.   ::)

He's right - they did jump on the bandwagon. But there's nothing wrong with that and the issue wasn't what people said. The issue was what a group of people did: use the power of the government to advance their personal beliefs and force them down other people's throats. That's the big problem with the Schiavo case, and it set a horrible, horrible precedent.

Regardless of which side of the fence you were on in the Terri Schiavo case, that interference should have outraged out. Don't kid yourself, you do not want a bunch of arrogant prigs that abuse their elected position to pass special laws so that they can overrule Courts and appoint some government bureaucrat to make these sort of decisions. You don't want this happening for a very simple reason: because tomorrow it may be your wife in that bed and then the politicians may reach a decision you disagree with.

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
I don't agree with your characterization of "right nuts," which is silly.  You should read a wiki link or something about the case. 
Don't have to look it up i remember it pretty clearly. Which side were you on ?

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
Like when Bill Mahr called Sarah Palin a "c u n t" and apologized after?

Oh wait...
one doesn't need to apologize for something that is true.
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
He's right - they did jump on the bandwagon. But there's nothing wrong with that and the issue wasn't what people said. The issue was what a group of people did: use the power of the government to advance their personal beliefs and force them down other people's throats. That's the big problem with the Schiavo case, and it set a horrible, horrible precedent.

Regardless of which side of the fence you were on in the Terri Schiavo case, that interference should have outraged out. Don't kid yourself, you do not want a bunch of arrogant prigs that abuse their elected position to pass special laws so that they can overrule Courts and appoint some government bureaucrat to make these sort of decisions. You don't want this happening for a very simple reason: because tomorrow it may be your wife in that bed and then the politicians may reach a decision you disagree with.

He's wrong.  Not everyone who "jumped on the bandwagon" was a "right wing nut." 

I did not agree with what Jeb Bush or Congress did in that situation.  They should have stayed out of it.  I think the ex husband had the authority to make the decision on life-sustaining care.  And even though it's hindsight, he was vindicated by the autopsy.   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Don't have to look it up i remember it pretty clearly. Which side were you on ?

Apparently not if you label everyone who "jumped on the bandwagon" as "right wing nuts." 

I wasn't on anyone's side, but I didn't agree with government invention.

avxo

• Getbig V
He's wrong.  Not everyone who "jumped on the bandwagon" was a "right wing nut."

Eh, it's a characterization that has, for better or worse, become quite common. It doesn't help that a lot of the people who quite prominently self-identify as right-wing were quite vocal in their support of Terri's parents, in favor of government intervention and used a lot of religious arguments.

I did not agree with what Jeb Bush or Congress did in that situation.  They should have stayed out of it.  I think the ex husband had the authority to make the decision on life-sustaining care.  And even though it's hindsight, he was vindicated by the autopsy.   

Egads... we agree on something. Just kidding - I find you to be reasonable most of the time.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Eh, it's a characterization that has, for better or worse, become quite common. It doesn't help that a lot of the people who quite prominently self-identify as right-wing were quite vocal in their support of Terri's parents, in favor of government intervention and used a lot of religious arguments.

Egads... we agree on something. Just kidding - I find you to be reasonable most of the time.

lol.  Thanks.  Bookmark it.   :D I think you're fairly reasonable.  But your posts are too dang long.  lol  Especially for people like me with internet ADD. 

avxo

• Getbig V
lol.  Thanks.  Bookmark it.   :D I think you're fairly reasonable.  But your posts are too dang long.  lol  Especially for people like me with internet ADD. 

I can be quite verbose... it's a fault.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
by that logic you should be just fine w/rush since he is an "entertainer"

rush is in the same category as that chick on MSNBC or Bashir

he is a political commentator and not an entertainer or comedian (at least his comedy is not intentional)

why does everyone pretend they don't understand this shit

Maher is a stand up comic with a cable TV show

Skip8282

• Getbig V
rush is in the same category as that chick on MSNBC or Bashir

he is a political commentator and not an entertainer or comedian (at least his comedy is not intentional)

why does everyone pretend they don't understand this shit

Maher is a stand up comic with a TV show

Well, c'mon hotshot.  Layout the logical reasoning why one entertainer should be exempt but not another.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana

Well, c'mon hotshot.  Layout the logical reasoning why one entertainer should be exempt but not another.

already explained it

Rush is not an entertainer or a comedian

Do we see Saturday Night live issuing apologies when they make jokes about politicians

avxo

• Getbig V
already explained it

Do we see Saturday Night live issuing apologies when they make jokes about politicians

He's a pundit. I see no real differentiation with the examples you cite. As offensive (and obnoxious, and arrogant and a huge prig) as I find Rush to be, I don't think he should be required to apologize for the bullshit he spews anymore than a dog that shits in the corner should have to apologize.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
already explained it

We certainly see comedians apologizing.  Michael Richards learned that.

So, you can't point out any logical reason why one entertainer should be exempt, but not another.

No big shock there.  ::)

Skip8282

• Getbig V
So, you have to be a certain type of entertainer.

You have to tell certain types of Jokes

But that only applies if you're a certain race.

lol.  fucking lib idiot.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
So, you have to be a certain type of entertainer.

You have to tell certain types of Jokes

But that only applies if you're a certain race.

lol.  fucking lib idiot.

and you are just a plain old vanilla idiot

yes, comedians mostly get a pass (unless they have a paying corporate gig - such as Gilbert Godfrey with his tweet about Fukishima)

Rash is not and has never been a comedian or entertainer and the only time he ever apologized was when his vile statements started costing him paid sponsors

Maher is a stand up comic

Why am I not surprised this is simple concept is too hard for you to understand

here is an example of something a comic can say

If someone claiming to be a political commentator said this they would most certainly have to apologize and would likely be fired

BTW - It' obvious that you're not aware of my many prior statements where I've said that people should be allowed to say whatever they want and everyone is free to either agree or criticize them.