Author Topic: The legend about hardcore atheist and Paraside  (Read 3311 times)

RK

• Getbig III
The legend about hardcore atheist and Paraside
« on: September 29, 2020, 10:59:05 AM »
 This legend is about Paradise. There was, they say, here on earth a thinker and philosopher. He rejected everything, ‘laws, conscience, faith,’ and, above all, the future life. He died; he expected to go straight to darkness and death and he found a future life before him. He was astounded and indignant. ‘This is against my principles!’ he said. And he was punished for that ... that is, you must excuse me, I am just repeating what I heard myself, it's only a legend ... he was sentenced to walk a quadrillion kilometers in the dark (we've adopted the metric system, you know) and when he has finished that quadrillion, the gates of heaven would be opened to him and he'll be forgiven—”

“And what tortures have you in the other world besides the quadrillion kilometers?” asked Donald, with a strange eagerness.

“What tortures? Ah, don't ask. In old days we had all sorts, but now they have taken chiefly to moral punishments—‘the stings of conscience’ and all that nonsense. We got that, too, from you, from the softening of your manners. And who's the better for it? Only those who have got no conscience, for how can they be tortured by conscience when they have none? But decent people who have conscience and a sense of honor suffer for it. Reforms, when the ground has not been prepared for them, especially if they are institutions copied from abroad, do nothing but mischief! The ancient fire was better. Well, this man, who was condemned to the quadrillion kilometers, stood still, looked round and lay down across the road. ‘I won't go, I refuse on principle!’ Take the soul of an enlightened American atheist and mix it with the soul of the prophet Jonah, who sulked for three days and nights in the belly of the whale, and you get the character of that thinker who lay across the road.”

“What did he lie on there?”

“Well, I suppose there was something to lie on. You are not laughing?”

“Bravo!” cried Donald, still with the same strange eagerness. Now he was listening with an unexpected curiosity. “Well, is he lying there now?”

“That's the point, that he isn't. He lay there almost a thousand years and then he got up and went on.”

“What an ass!” cried Donald, laughing nervously and still seeming to be pondering something intently. “Does it make any difference whether he lies there for ever or walks the quadrillion kilometers? It would take a billion years to walk it?”

“Much more than that. I haven't got a pencil and paper or I could work it out. But he got there long ago, and that's where the story begins.”

“What, he got there? But how did he get the billion years to do it?”

“Why, you keep thinking of our present earth! But our present earth may have been repeated a billion times. Why, it's become extinct, been frozen; cracked, broken to bits, disintegrated into its elements, again ‘the water above the firmament,’ then again a comet, again a sun, again from the sun it becomes earth—and the same sequence may have been repeated endlessly and exactly the same to every detail, most unseemly and insufferably tedious—”

“Well, well, what happened when he arrived?”

“Why, the moment the gates of Paradise were open and he walked in, before he had been there two seconds, by his watch (though to my thinking his watch must have long dissolved into its elements on the way), he cried out that those two seconds were worth walking not a quadrillion kilometers but a quadrillion of quadrillions, raised to the quadrillionth power! In fact, he sang ‘hosannah’ and overdid it so, that some persons there of lofty ideas wouldn't shake hands with him at first—he'd become too rapidly reactionary, they said. I repeat, it's a legend.

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
Re: The legend about hardcore atheist and Paraside
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 01:11:32 PM »

Bolshevik fairy tale?

RK

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2020, 01:16:41 PM »

Teutonic Knight 1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2020, 02:32:04 PM »
This legend is about Paradise.

Paraside or Paradise  ;D

RK you are so DUMB !.

RK

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2020, 12:39:12 PM »
Paraside or Paradise  ;D

RK you are so DUMB !.

crawl back under rock in yemen

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2020, 12:56:30 PM »
This legend is about Paradise. There was, they say, here on earth a thinker and philosopher. He rejected everything, ‘laws, conscience, faith,’ and, above all, the future life. He died; he expected to go straight to darkness and death and he found a future life before him. He was astounded and indignant. ‘This is against my principles!’ he said. And he was punished for that ... that is, you must excuse me, I am just repeating what I heard myself, it's only a legend ... he was sentenced to walk a quadrillion kilometers in the dark (we've adopted the metric system, you know) and when he has finished that quadrillion, the gates of heaven would be opened to him and he'll be forgiven—”

“And what tortures have you in the other world besides the quadrillion kilometers?” asked Donald, with a strange eagerness.

“What tortures? Ah, don't ask. In old days we had all sorts, but now they have taken chiefly to moral punishments—‘the stings of conscience’ and all that nonsense. We got that, too, from you, from the softening of your manners. And who's the better for it? Only those who have got no conscience, for how can they be tortured by conscience when they have none? But decent people who have conscience and a sense of honor suffer for it. Reforms, when the ground has not been prepared for them, especially if they are institutions copied from abroad, do nothing but mischief! The ancient fire was better. Well, this man, who was condemned to the quadrillion kilometers, stood still, looked round and lay down across the road. ‘I won't go, I refuse on principle!’ Take the soul of an enlightened American atheist and mix it with the soul of the prophet Jonah, who sulked for three days and nights in the belly of the whale, and you get the character of that thinker who lay across the road.”

“What did he lie on there?”

“Well, I suppose there was something to lie on. You are not laughing?”

“Bravo!” cried Donald, still with the same strange eagerness. Now he was listening with an unexpected curiosity. “Well, is he lying there now?”

“That's the point, that he isn't. He lay there almost a thousand years and then he got up and went on.”

“What an ass!” cried Donald, laughing nervously and still seeming to be pondering something intently. “Does it make any difference whether he lies there for ever or walks the quadrillion kilometers? It would take a billion years to walk it?”

“Much more than that. I haven't got a pencil and paper or I could work it out. But he got there long ago, and that's where the story begins.”

“What, he got there? But how did he get the billion years to do it?”

“Why, you keep thinking of our present earth! But our present earth may have been repeated a billion times. Why, it's become extinct, been frozen; cracked, broken to bits, disintegrated into its elements, again ‘the water above the firmament,’ then again a comet, again a sun, again from the sun it becomes earth—and the same sequence may have been repeated endlessly and exactly the same to every detail, most unseemly and insufferably tedious—”

“Well, well, what happened when he arrived?”

“Why, the moment the gates of Paradise were open and he walked in, before he had been there two seconds, by his watch (though to my thinking his watch must have long dissolved into its elements on the way), he cried out that those two seconds were worth walking not a quadrillion kilometers but a quadrillion of quadrillions, raised to the quadrillionth power! In fact, he sang ‘hosannah’ and overdid it so, that some persons there of lofty ideas wouldn't shake hands with him at first—he'd become too rapidly reactionary, they said. I repeat, it's a legend.

RK post your pics

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2020, 04:04:01 AM »
The legend about hardcore atheist and Paraside

Crawl back under your rock in Yemen.
Q