Author Topic: Trump Facebook ban upheld  (Read 3760 times)

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Re: Trump Facebook ban upheld
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2021, 08:22:10 AM »
Not sure of the options, and I don't like the government getting involved unless absolutely necessary.  It would be hypocritical of me to say I wanted them regulated.  Perhaps something like requiring transparency around what content they edit?

But, for starters, they can start by getting their rules in order:

https://nypost.com/2021/05/09/facebook-oversight-board-member-says-site-wields-too-much-power/

Requiring transparency around what they edit is difficult because much of the decision can be subjective.  FB is inconsistent with its policies in my industry. 

I am not sure why it seems some people are saying this is restricting free speech. 

monsterman500

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2021, 08:45:59 AM »
Requiring transparency around what they edit is difficult because much of the decision can be subjective.  FB is inconsistent with its policies in my industry. 

I am not sure why it seems some people are saying this is restricting free speech.

try writing any opinions against mass migration or Globalism. aint rocket science mate.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2021, 09:09:42 AM »

It's restricting speech because the platforms are so enormous and have such widespread reach, and like mentioned, the inconsistencies of enforcement make it worse.

It the purest, technical format, it's not "restricting free speech".
Y

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2021, 09:21:43 AM »
It's restricting speech because the platforms are so enormous and have such widespread reach, and like mentioned, the inconsistencies of enforcement make it worse.

It the purest, technical format, it's not "restricting free speech".

Then that's a discussion point.  Does a social media platform have to be regulated when they reach enough people?

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2021, 09:26:40 AM »
try writing any opinions against mass migration or Globalism. aint rocket science mate.

I am a big fan of saying what every you want for the most part and people making up their own minds doing their own research to verify it, etc.   

But it's a private enterprise that has the right to publish what it decides.  If the owners of a social media outlet want to slant right or left, it's their choice. 

The market should correct itself, shouldn't it?

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2021, 09:40:02 AM »
I am a big fan of saying what every you want for the most part and people making up their own minds doing their own research to verify it, etc.   

But it's a private enterprise that has the right to publish what it decides.  If the owners of a social media outlet want to slant right or left, it's their choice. 

Difficult to do when playforms offering different points of view are considered hate speech and removed from app stores and internet providers. ;)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2021, 11:01:36 AM »
Difficult to do when playforms offering different points of view are considered hate speech and removed from app stores and internet providers. ;)

Aren't app stores and internet providers independent businesses free to choose what they want to sell or publish?

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2021, 02:20:39 PM »
Aren't app stores and internet providers independent businesses free to choose what they want to sell or publish?

Absolutely! People just don't get it until someone comes into their place of business as starts shooting of their mouth. Freedom of speech gives you the right to say what you want. It does not give you the right to say it anywhere you want.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2021, 02:43:47 PM »
Absolutely! People just don't get it until someone comes into their place of business as starts shooting of their mouth. Freedom of speech gives you the right to say what you want. It does not give you the right to say it anywhere you want.

I think this discussion/debate is interesting because it seems to be an instance where regulation would have prevented a conservative politician from being banned whereas most conservatives are against regulation.

Grape's point is good because tech giants may weld too much power. 

If FB doesn't want to be consistent nor transparent in their decision making do they have to be?  If people don't like what they do, they can always go back to Myspace? lol

Is the market strong enough to correct itself?   

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2021, 03:12:10 PM »
I think this discussion/debate is interesting because it seems to be an instance where regulation would have prevented a conservative politician from being banned whereas most conservatives are against regulation.

Grape's point is good because tech giants may weld too much power. 

If FB doesn't want to be consistent nor transparent in their decision making do they have to be?  If people don't like what they do, they can always go back to Myspace? lol

Is the market strong enough to correct itself?

Tech giants only have as much power as people give them and we give them a lot. Amazon is consuming all other retail. COVID has served to boost their sales as if they needed a boost.

Does Myspace still exist?

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2021, 04:59:31 PM »
Sure but what's the alternative? If the major tech companies all lean left we have a distorted view of reality and a false perception of how society actually views certain topics/ideas.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2021, 07:01:43 PM »
Sure but what's the alternative? If the major tech companies all lean left we have a distorted view of reality and a false perception of how society actually views certain topics/ideas.

What's your theory on why major tech companies lean left?

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2021, 10:11:27 PM »
Political influence and money. Not hard to figure out really.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2021, 06:42:10 AM »

If there was a market for a social media platform for conservatives, ran by conservatives, and profitable it would exist....I would think.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2021, 07:11:49 AM »
If there was a market for a social media platform for conservatives, ran by conservatives, and profitable it would exist....I would think.

There was Parler, but the large platforms wouldn't host it.

Too much power.
Y

monsterman500

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2021, 08:12:34 AM »

That´s the point dummy, as long as it´s their political point of view. not free speech is it?

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2021, 08:28:11 AM »
That´s the point dummy, as long as it´s their political point of view. not free speech is it?

Not too sure what you are saying here exactly.

Trump's free speech is not being restricted by the government.

First Amendment
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press, or the right of the people peaceably to assemble and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

As a private business, a social media outlet is not obligated to publish anything a user decides they want to publish.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2021, 08:29:55 AM »
There was Parler, but the large platforms wouldn't host it.

Too much power.

So Apple and Andriod are refusing to host it?

Looks like it can be used on Android. 

Typically, I would think these are business decisions with calculated fallout.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2021, 09:32:51 AM »

I believe Apple and Google would not host it.

However, fully admit I could be wrong and didn't research.
Y

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: May 11, 2021, 11:25:49 AM »
I believe Apple and Google would not host it.

However, fully admit I could be wrong and didn't research.

In April this year Apple let Parler back in the app store.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/19/tech/apple-parler-app-store/index.html

Just checked and  I believe it is also available through Google Play. But, I did not download it. Some sources indicated it was not available on Google Play because it had not submitted an app that complies with Google guidelines.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: May 11, 2021, 06:09:11 PM »

Yes they did, both removed the app and I believe the servers it was hosted on also dropped them.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Body-Buildah

• Getbig V
  • Creepy Joe Touches Kids
« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2021, 01:40:45 PM »

Theory???

Lean??

What a dumbass  ::)

monsterman500

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #72 on: May 15, 2021, 04:47:21 AM »

Not too sure what you are saying here exactly.

Trump's free speech is not being restricted by the government.

First Amendment
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press, or the right of the people peaceably to assemble and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

As a private business, a social media outlet is not obligated to publish anything a user decides they want to publish.

never mind dummy  ??? ::)

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: May 16, 2021, 07:28:55 AM »
never mind dummy  ??? ::)

Still unclear about what you are saying.   

Trumps free speech restricted or no?

Private companies deciding not to publish or give a mic to someone is bad or good?

Or do you just call people dummy who won’t agree or question you because you can’t express an intelligent or coherent point?

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: May 16, 2021, 09:02:37 AM »
Still unclear about what you are saying.   

Trumps free speech restricted or no?

Private companies deciding not to publish or give a mic to someone is bad or good?

Or do you just call people dummy who won’t agree or question you because you can’t express an intelligent or coherent point?
I think the discussion goes to is fb a publisher that can be held responsible for what is posted or is fb just a platform? I didn't follow along too closely but there was a section 230(?) that people were talking about that protects platforms and not publishers. Someone more interested in that topic would have to explain.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!