Author Topic: Over 45 training  (Read 406657 times)

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Re: Over 45 training
« Reply #1925 on: January 30, 2017, 05:52:53 PM »
Did squats today, up to a single. Then got talked into leg ext/ leg curl supersets.

Gym observations: This older black fella was banging out leg curls with more weight than the guy that lifts with me.  :D
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1926 on: February 01, 2017, 04:51:26 PM »
Did some slow intervals on the treadmill. 6 x 880 yards.  Started at 9 minute pace and finished with 8:00 minute pace.  Lungs held up but since I have been sitting on my ass for three weeks since I was sick I'm having joint issues running.  Lost my voice when I got off.  Damn is this a slow recovery but I am definitely on the mend. 

Tomorrow is another whole body routine.  Upping the weight slightly again.  Another week I should be lifting moderate weights instead of light.  Body weight is still about 7 pounds down which is a lot since I'm not a big guy.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1927 on: February 02, 2017, 05:11:10 AM »
Did some slow intervals on the treadmill. 6 x 880 yards.  Started at 9 minute pace and finished with 8:00 minute pace.  Lungs held up but since I have been sitting on my ass for three weeks since I was sick I'm having joint issues running.  Lost my voice when I got off.  Damn is this a slow recovery but I am definitely on the mend. 

Tomorrow is another whole body routine.  Upping the weight slightly again.  Another week I should be lifting moderate weights instead of light.  Body weight is still about 7 pounds down which is a lot since I'm not a big guy.

glad your progressing,,,

Charlys69

• Getbig III
« Reply #1928 on: February 02, 2017, 10:47:04 AM »
Could rep my Age (+ 3 reps) with 275 lbs. today in the seated chestpress (weight stack 220lbs/100kg + extra weight Dumbells). Started high rep Training 7 weeks out with 220 lbs x 44 reps. Never thought i could improve the weight (+ 55 lbs.) for 12 reps more. Sorry for spaming, but i´m a bit proud.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1929 on: February 07, 2017, 07:31:19 AM »
Haven't written in awhile.  My shoulder blew up in my come back from being sick.  I can barely move my arm. Going to try to lift today. It won't be pretty.  On a good note I did cardio 5 out of 6 days. At least my heart muscle is getting exercise.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1930 on: February 07, 2017, 08:25:53 AM »
Haven't written in awhile.  My shoulder blew up in my come back from being sick.  I can barely move my arm. Going to try to lift today. It won't be pretty.  On a good note I did cardio 5 out of 6 days. At least my heart muscle is getting exercise.
:-\SORRY TO HEAR THATS HOW BAD I WAS 2 OCT'S AGO IT WAS HORRENDOUS PAIN POPPED RIGHT OUT,,I FEEL GREAT NOW PRESSING FLAT DB'S BACK TO FULL FORCE AGAIN FOR ALMOST SAME REPS..

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #1931 on: February 07, 2017, 11:30:19 AM »
Hex DL:

145 x 10
195 x 5
235 x 5
335 x 6
255 x 10

Giant Set x 4
DB Bench / pull up / goblet squat

Light conditioning:

20 sets of 20 seconds / 10 sec rest - push up / pull up / plank / ropes, etc......
Y

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1932 on: February 14, 2017, 08:12:40 PM »
I think I'm done for awhile. The antibiotic I was given for pneumonia is known for destroying tendons. My shoulder is completely fucked up. Can't lift it over head. Thought I would continue running and my knee gave out. It's clicking like crazy and I never had a knee problem before. I think the IV Lavoquin (sp) and pills I took destroyed my tendons and cartilage. Wish I knew that the drug has a track record of this stuff. Taking time off. Haven't lifted much in a month and with being sick and I have really deteriorated.  So frustrated and down. I went from being in outstanding shape to being small skinny fat in a few short weeks. Hope I never end up sick in the hospital again. 

I always try to lift what is heavy for me with a few sets per exercise. Really thinking about moderate weights and volume for if nothing else preservation of my joints.  Look at Ronnie and Dorian. Not to compare myself to them but they destroyed their body with heavy weights. Guys like Robby Robinson just keeps lifting his moderate weights with no injuries and still looks in decent shape.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1933 on: February 15, 2017, 07:24:42 AM »
I think I'm done for awhile. The antibiotic I was given for pneumonia is known for destroying tendons. My shoulder is completely fucked up. Can't lift it over head. Thought I would continue running and my knee gave out. It's clicking like crazy and I never had a knee problem before. I think the IV Lavoquin (sp) and pills I took destroyed my tendons and cartilage. Wish I knew that the drug has a track record of this stuff. Taking time off. Haven't lifted much in a month and with being sick and I have really deteriorated.  So frustrated and down. I went from being in outstanding shape to being small skinny fat in a few short weeks. Hope I never end up sick in the hospital again. 

I always try to lift what is heavy for me with a few sets per exercise. Really thinking about moderate weights and volume for if nothing else preservation of my joints.  Look at Ronnie and Dorian. Not to compare myself to them but they destroyed their body with heavy weights. Guys like Robby Robinson just keeps lifting his moderate weights with no injuries and still looks in decent shape.
man,,,,when your here posting for yrs and are contributing to threads like these,ITS INEVITABLE  to talk some personal stuff as well...sorry to hear this ,I know I am same person on a training level as you its a lifelong commitment and it kills you not to train,,,

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #1934 on: February 15, 2017, 10:21:56 AM »
I think I'm done for awhile. The antibiotic I was given for pneumonia is known for destroying tendons. My shoulder is completely fucked up. Can't lift it over head. Thought I would continue running and my knee gave out. It's clicking like crazy and I never had a knee problem before. I think the IV Lavoquin (sp) and pills I took destroyed my tendons and cartilage. Wish I knew that the drug has a track record of this stuff. Taking time off. Haven't lifted much in a month and with being sick and I have really deteriorated.  So frustrated and down. I went from being in outstanding shape to being small skinny fat in a few short weeks. Hope I never end up sick in the hospital again.  

I always try to lift what is heavy for me with a few sets per exercise. Really thinking about moderate weights and volume for if nothing else preservation of my joints.  Look at Ronnie and Dorian. Not to compare myself to them but they destroyed their body with heavy weights. Guys like Robby Robinson just keeps lifting his moderate weights with no injuries and still looks in decent shape.

Sorry to hear this.

A knowledgeable trainer could be very beneficial for you.
Y

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1935 on: February 19, 2017, 07:31:39 AM »

sorry to hear this , but moderation is the key... heavy weights are great when you're in your 20's to early 30's but as you age it's better to decrease the weights and increase the reps[in my humble opinion]it took me 6 hip replacements to learn this valuable lesson... hope you get better soon.
F

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1936 on: February 20, 2017, 06:49:11 AM »
                                                                    sorry to hear this , but moderation is the key... heavy weights are great when you're in your 20's to early 30's but as you age it's better to decrease the weights and increase the reps[in my humble opinion]it took me 6 hip replacements to learn this valuable lesson... hope you get better soon.

Hope your hips are good now. I would imagine it's never the same. I look at Ronnie Coleman, Paul Anderson, Grimek, and even Clarence Bass had either hip replacement or worn out hips.  I hardly ever hear about this in the running community. I would think with all the miles and pounding the pavement it would be a common problem but it's not. Maybe our joints weren't meant to lift heavy weights in advancing years? 

I remember Wilf Sylvester the British bodybuilding champion who won the short class Universe in 1975 I believe had a unique method for training legs that year. He used leg extensions and leg curls. What was unusual is that he used body weight squats. No bar. He said he worked up to 400 reps. I don't know if it was for one set or a couple. He said it worked as good as squats with a barbell for him. Maybe for bad shoulders various bench movements for chest should be variations of push ups for me now. Who knows, my chest might get better?

Any way I remember reading an article by Eddie Guiliani how an older guy should train. He said high reps like you said. He also said to have short rests between sets so a light weight becomes heavy.  I have also heard other guys use a similar phrasing. "Make a light weight heavy."  I think doing sets of 10 to even 15 reps with short rests in between with smooth cadence could go a long way to preserving joints I speculate.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1937 on: February 21, 2017, 08:49:41 AM »
Hope your hips are good now. I would imagine it's never the same. I look at Ronnie Coleman, Paul Anderson, Grimek, and even Clarence Bass had either hip replacement or worn out hips.  I hardly ever hear about this in the running community. I would think with all the miles and pounding the pavement it would be a common problem but it's not. Maybe our joints weren't meant to lift heavy weights in advancing years? 

I remember Wilf Sylvester the British bodybuilding champion who won the short class Universe in 1975 I believe had a unique method for training legs that year. He used leg extensions and leg curls. What was unusual is that he used body weight squats. No bar. He said he worked up to 400 reps. I don't know if it was for one set or a couple. He said it worked as good as squats with a barbell for him. Maybe for bad shoulders various bench movements for chest should be variations of push ups for me now. Who knows, my chest might get better?

Any way I remember reading an article by Eddie Guiliani how an older guy should train. He said high reps like you said. He also said to have short rests between sets so a light weight becomes heavy.  I have also heard other guys use a similar phrasing. "Make a light weight heavy."  I think doing sets of 10 to even 15 reps with short rests in between with smooth cadence could go a long way to preserving joints I speculate.
                     i think eddie g got it right.... these days the only leg training i do is stumble around a couple miles everyday...i can train my upper body fairly decent yet.
F

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1938 on: February 21, 2017, 09:05:54 AM »
I'm not an orthopedic guy and this is just bro science.  This is one of the problems of aging lifters. I think the cartilage that covers the ends of bones like in the hip, shoulder and knees get worn away through the years.  It's unnoticeable even as it thins. When it eventually gets to a point where it's torn or bone on bone it's over. Now the pain is horrific.  Another problem is torn and worn tendons. 

I never had shoulder problems until my 50's.  Around 52 to be exact.  I have been lifting since I was 13 or so.  I did press behind the neck for decades. Zero problems and I actually believed it was healthy for my shoulders because I felt it contributed to flexibility of the joint. Now if my shoulders get better I wouldn't even attempt it without a big warm up and a moderate weight. How many can barely get the bar on their shoulders for squats because they can't even get their arms back?  Now I have in addition to tendon problems I have a slap tear.  Maybe time to make substantial changes to the way I train.  I really believe guys over 55 are always one rep or one step away from a big injury. 

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1939 on: February 21, 2017, 05:26:23 PM »
It's normal to look for something to blame for these changes, like lifting too heavy. It is also possible that as we age our "machines" slow down and sometimes breakdown. It's important to recognize our limitations while still trying to be progressive about our health and fitness.

Today I needed to walk about a mile or take a cab when moving my friend's car from the hospital parking lot to his home. I asked my son-in-law if he could give me a lift and later changed my mind, deciding to walk instead. By the end of this trek, I was feeling pretty good and more stable on my feet. Looks like I should take up walking a mile or two several times a week. I've been feeling like an old man lately, which I am. I am not decrepit (yet). I'm healthy and fairly fit. I need to stop babying myself.

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #1940 on: February 21, 2017, 06:17:11 PM »
It's normal to look for something to blame for these changes, like lifting too heavy. It is also possible that as we age our "machines" slow down and sometimes breakdown. It's important to recognize our limitations while still trying to be progressive about our health and fitness.

Today I needed to walk about a mile or take a cab when moving my friend's car from the hospital parking lot to his home. I asked my son-in-law if he could give me a lift and later changed my mind, deciding to walk instead. By the end of this trek, I was feeling pretty good and more stable on my feet. Looks like I should take up walking a mile or two several times a week. I've been feeling like an old man lately, which I am. I am not decrepit (yet). I'm healthy and fairly fit. I need to stop babying myself.

Wrong thread, I know but glad to see you back.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1941 on: February 22, 2017, 05:33:29 AM »
Wrong thread, I know but glad to see you back.
X2...

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1942 on: February 22, 2017, 05:33:38 AM »

Fast walking really does amazing things.  Since I can't lift yet and running is too painful I've been walking far six days a week. 4.7 miles exactly every day.  One thing I have noticed is the fat is starting to melt away.  I put my Ipod ear buds in and walk a beautiful trail by my house. It really doesn't seem like I'm working out at all.  I am determined to get back into the gym. Orthopedic guy said give it two more months but I can't wait that long. This Saturday I'm going to use baby weights like 10-15lbs dumbbells and maybe the empty bar and progress from there. I finally can get my arm over head.  The knee pain is subsiding. Funny how walking doesn't bother it but going down stairs is painful.  

Prime make a consistent effort to walk fast every day. I bet after a couple of weeks you'll agree it is a magic exercise. Good for the mind, body and soul.  Clears your head to think about life.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1943 on: March 18, 2017, 05:30:35 PM »
Getting back into the swing of things. I believe muscle memory is real. Many things I can't do like pull ups, incline pressing, leg curls and others. Trying to be positive about what I can do and forget what I can't due to injury.

One more work out and I'm going to join a commercial gym. They have stuff that I could use. I always laughed at guys that used the assisted pull up machine. Now I'm going to use it till I get back strength in my bad shoulder.  The hammer strength pulldown is another exercise for some reason doesn't irritate my shoulder area. Conventional pulldowns irritate it. Going to use Hammer for some other exercises too.

I really believe a lot of older guys have the mental will to work out hard but the flesh is not willing.  Injuries and illness takes a toll. 

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
« Reply #1944 on: May 11, 2018, 01:38:08 PM »
I always have liked training full-body the best.  The day off gives not only the body but the brain a rest.

My routine changes every so often but this is what I'm doing now.  I train at home.

My goal generally is to get 40 or more total reps spread over 3 sets.  I do as many reps per set as possible, getting within 2-3 reps of failure.  If I get 40 reps then I add some weight.  I don't do 40 reps with pullups, usually 6-10 reps per set.

I'm 60 years old.

Back squat superset with Dumbbell pullovers - 3 sets
Standing calf raise superset with Seated calf - 3 sets
Incline press barbell superset with Weighted Pullups - 3 sets
Weighted Dips superset with Dumbbell rows - 3 sets
Barbell curls - 3 sets
Reverse EZ bar curls - 3 sets
Good mornings - 1 set of 50 reps
Plank - hold for 1 minute
Airdyne- 20 minutes

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1945 on: May 11, 2018, 08:14:30 PM »
I did delts and arms today:

Military press 2 x 8 115 (all the way down and cleaned the weight off the floor)
dumbbell laterals 2 x 10 30lbs
Rear delt laterals 2 x 10 40lbs
Machine laterals 2 x 10 80lbs
Barbell shrugs 2 x 10 245lbs (tried to do full range)

Weighted dips 2 x 10 25lbs (tried to really sink each rep. Used a V dipping bar)
Tricep pushdowns 2 x 12
Rope pushdowns 2 x 12

Dumbbell alternate curls 2 x 8 45lbs
Pulley curls with an EZ curl attachment 2 x 12
Machine curls 2 x 10

Wrist curls 2 x 25 95lbs
Reverse grip curls 2 x 10

Ab coaster 1 x 31 60lbs
Ab crunch machine 2 x 20 100lbs

Drove to a park after and ran one mile. Ran a 8:48 mile. I was running with a sore calf and I really need to drop about 10 to 15lbs.