Getbig Misc Discussion Boards > Religious Debates & Threads

Thinking About Islam.

(1/6) > >>

Matt:
I'm looking to find some meaning in my life, anywhere I can find it.

I think part of why Social Justice is so insane is because people are seeking meaning, and can't find it in religion, or elsewhere - so they find it specifically, in supporting "the current thing".

I'm curious about one thing - how is it that Idi Amin, after murdering an estimated 300,000 to 500,000 of his countrymen in Uganda, managed to live out nearly a quarter of a century in peaceful exile in Saudi Arabia?

It seems like belief in God, as irrational as it is on the surface, brings some people meaning?

I'm just wondering about this. I'm open to new ideas.

I'm not claiming that Islam, or religion at all, is the answer. But I do think we need to find meaning in our lives, to make our lives worth living.

Phantom Spunker:
Matt,

Thank you for opening your heart and coming to us with your thoughts. I can say categorically that now is the time for you to embrace Islam and allow Allah into your life.

And you're absolutely right. We all struggle to find meaning in life. To make sense of our existence. To search for something objective and lasting amongst this seemingly short and pointless journey. Since I first joined my local mosque, I've found a purpose and a sense of community that I never had before.

Take, for instance, every Thursday now. I am part of the 'Muslims against Mandates' group in my local area. We come together to hand out leaflets in our community which remind people of their individual rights and bodily autonomy under Islam. We are deeply opposed to the COVID jab on these grounds, and we fear what will happen if the government's cold-hearted utilitarianism is let loose on us. Furthermore, we are already demonized enough as a group - why should we trust the government? Their lack of transparency and accountability is part of the reason why this pandemic happened. Now they want us to take some poison when we don't even know what's in it? Fuck that shit! I applied for a waiver on religious grounds and was granted it.

Matt, I don't want to push you, but whenever you're ready to visit the mosque, please let me know and I'll give you some guidance. I will also send you some of those baggy, white pyjamas that Henda and I wear (it's called a 'thobe' and it's awesome for lounging around the house in).

avxo:
As-salamu alaykum brothers and sisters. Seeing so many of you here, peacefully sharing your thoughts on Islam has warmed the cockles of my heart, and by the grace of the Prophet (PBUH) I too have come to find Allah.

Thanks to you, I will no longer I partake of bacon and zina shall never again be part of my life, but I will enjoy living faithfully in the Alamein as the Prophet taught! La ilaha il allah.

Or something.

AbrahamG:
Salam brother and welcome. Your beautiful post has brought tears of joy to my eyes.

Matt:
^ Wow!!! I really didn't expect a positive response to this.

I didn't post this in the G&O for this reason.

The thing about me - I really don't care about letting everyone know if I'm going through hard times.

I don't think I would have made another year of the various mandates and measures in place, and I was just about certain I was about to get to the point of a physical confrontation with police had I been kept out of my favourite gym here any longer.

I've been immensely better ever since the V-passport ended about a month ago. But I am a ticking time bomb if this stuff starts again.

--- Quote from: Phantom Spunker on April 11, 2022, 06:36:07 PM ---Matt, I don't want to push you, but whenever you're ready to visit the mosque, please let me know and I'll give you some guidance. I will also send you some of those baggy, white pyjamas that Henda and I wear (it's called a 'thobe' and it's awesome for lounging around the house in).
--- End quote ---

Do Mosques generally allow outsiders in? Is it going to be unusual for some otherwise non-religious White dude to walk in?

I've been studying Idi Amin a lot, and he attributes much of his peaceful exile and long life to his belief in Allah.

Saddam Hussein walked to his death praising Allah.

It must be nice to have faith like that.

Also, I want to be clear here: I'm not praising dictators. I'm merely saying I admire their faith in Allah, even to the very end.

Look at how stoic Saddam was even walking up to the gallows. This man was UNWAVERING, and I attribute that to his faith.

Is that such an unreasonable take?

Sometimes I wish I had faith like that.

I was friends with two Muslims in university, and one of them [Muhammad] told me that all faith in God is the same. The Creator is The Creator, in his view [he is now a citizen of Canada, and he has since converted to Catholicism, but I liked his take].

I don't have answers though - only questions. That's why I'm here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version