Author Topic: Paul Carter: “I went from around 175 to 205 that summer without much fat…”  (Read 2602 times)

BBSSchlemiel

• Getbig IV
https://forums.t-nation.com/t/the-11-best-books-for-smart-meatheads/285632

“A lot of science nerds with spaghetti-noodle baby arms would scoff at it, because it’s built around a super-slow rep cadence protocol. But after doing two rounds of it (84 days) I went back to normal training (cadence wise) and in a few weeks I was busting past previous PR’s with ease. I went from around 175 to 205 that summer without a ton of fat accumulation.

It was that summer that I really learned what it meant to eat for gains, how important sleep was in terms of recovery (I was training six days a week), and how powerful a new training stimulus could really be.”

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
I did that routine one summer.^

It's eating very high calories and doing one all out set of superslow reps to failure per exercise.

I got fat.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
Carter is propably the most off-putting character in this sphere. The audacity of his style and grand standing. :D

Unfortunately Carter doesn't allow any critique of his views - you get called names and banned. He even bans people who have liked some post by someone he doesn't like - on a completely different page. A real clown  :D

I once said I felt deadlifts do work the "back," which would to me to be a fairly innocuous comment. He answered that that's only because you have long arms and deadlift a lot LOL. "Deadlifts is NOT a back exercise!" He used to argue that wide grip pullups or lat pulldowns were again NOT a back exercise, "more like a latless pulldown!" Then suddenly he does a complete 180 of this opinion and anyone who asked about the sudden change was banned haha.

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Carter is propably the most off-putting character in this sphere. The audacity of his style and grand standing. :D

Unfortunately Carter doesn't allow any critique of his views - you get called names and banned. He even bans people who have liked some post by someone he doesn't like - on a completely different page. A real clown  :D

I once said I felt deadlifts do work the "back," which would to me to be a fairly innocuous comment. He answered that that's only because you have long arms and deadlift a lot LOL. "Deadlifts is NOT a back exercise!" He used to argue that wide grip pullups or lat pulldowns were again NOT a back exercise, "more like a latless pulldown!" Then suddenly he does a complete 180 of this opinion and anyone who asked about the sudden change was banned haha.

it doesnt work the erectors apart from isometric dynamic tension type excercise

Deadlift is more hip flexors and glutes

Rmj11

• Getbig IV
Paul Carter? Guy's a tool. Another marketing con man claiming his way works the best. 😆😆😆

BBSSchlemiel

• Getbig IV

From what I've observed through the years, he literally gets angry if someone thinks something different about exercise or doesn't care for what he has to say about it. If I recall correctly, he went on several-days-lasting online warpaths over such differences. There was time in which he presented himself as amazing family member and father, relationship advisor, and good Christian. Then he went back to being 24-7-angry guy who insults people and routinely losing his temper.

What was his reasoning for wide-grip pulldowns and pull-ups and deadlifts not being back exercises? How can one even give good effort in any deadlift variation without using lats to have the bar close to the body and keep a tight upper back?

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
Not a fan of this guy. He used to be on the old "Power and Bulk" message board before he got famous. He'd short stroke reps to claim PR's, go on multi-post rants when someone would mention that his super sized TRT dose wasn't TRT, and was one of the main reasons for his jumps in strength. He also did one power meet where he had a good, but very average total, and blamed on an injured hamstring that seemed to heal up mighty quick. Always been one of those guys that was bad about criticism.

Also I remember him going nuts when someone said he looked like a Dr Who Sontaran, when he was patting himself on the back -

Lucky guy from the push he got from being friendly with Rippetoe and Wendler when the whole "teach you how to be a man" arc was happening in fitness.                                       

BBSSchlemiel

• Getbig IV
Not a fan of this guy. He used to be on the old "Power and Bulk" message board before he got famous. He'd short stroke reps to claim PR's, go on multi-post rants when someone would mention that his super sized TRT dose wasn't TRT, and was one of the main reasons for his jumps in strength. He also did one power meet where he had a good, but very average total, and blamed on an injured hamstring that seemed to heal up mighty quick. Always been one of those guys that was bad about criticism.

Also I remember him going nuts when someone said he looked like a Dr Who Sontaran, when he was patting himself on the back -

Lucky guy from the push he got from being friendly with Rippetoe and Wendler when the whole "teach you how to be a man" arc was happening in fitness.                                     

I remember he said he reason why he came in second place in the one bodybuilding show in which he participated was because of poor posing. Then I looked up who came in first place, and it was clear the guy thoroughly outdid Carter. He did not include the winner in photographs of the show.

Edit: I looked up the show results on NPC Online. Carter came in third. Here are pictures of him and the first-place winner.

Lol at "teach you how to be a man" arc.

This past summer Rip A. Toe said that set of ten reps will not build the brutal size that is only supposedly achieved with sets of five reps or below.

I'm so sick of all these guys' shit.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
it doesnt work the erectors apart from isometric dynamic tension type excercise

Deadlift is more hip flexors and glutes

It does "build" the erectors despite the very short range of motion. Just like it builds the traps despite almost no range of motion. How to build erectors otherwise, I think Brignole had those zero external load roll-ups against a wall. Deads will build even the lats to some degree. That's just like my opinion, man. There are some exercise physiologists or whatever you call them, who do think deads are an important back exercise, like one who said the 2 most important are deads and one arm lat pulldowns, the way where you sit straight up and extend the arm completely, forget his name.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
X-Effort/time =gains
A

BBSSchlemiel

• Getbig IV
Ever notice nearly all his posts involve proving someone wrong or disproving something or some other bitching?
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C0etGDvgdl1/?igshid=NmJiYWZiY2E0Mg==

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
It does "build" the erectors despite the very short range of motion. Just like it builds the traps despite almost no range of motion. How to build erectors otherwise, I think Brignole had those zero external load roll-ups against a wall. Deads will build even the lats to some degree. That's just like my opinion, man. There are some exercise physiologists or whatever you call them, who do think deads are an important back exercise, like one who said the 2 most important are deads and one arm lat pulldowns, the way where you sit straight up and extend the arm completely, forget his name.

Yup, the act of keeping the bar close to the body directly involves the lats contracting.  More noticeable on RDLs but still important with deadlifts.

I used to read Paul Carter’s stuff a lot, like ten years ago, and thought it was pretty decent stuff.  I remember he emphasized cardio training at a time when that was still seen as counterproductive for strength athletes.  His PJR pullovers are an incredible tricep exercise, too.

Not surprised to see he’s gone off the deep end though.  Seems like an inevitable outcome for fitness guru types as they get older.

BBSSchlemiel

• Getbig IV

Not surprised to see he’s gone off the deep end though.  Seems like an inevitable outcome for fitness guru types as they get older.

Haha! You noticed that too? I made a thread about middle-aged gurus inevitably losing their minds and in some cases becoming perma-angry.

Carter seems to have a petulant personality disorder. He seems like a sociopath and compulsive liar.

Gym Rat

• Getbig V
  • Libturdz Love The Caulk
Did Carter mention he toon Anabolic in order to gain the 30 lbs?? No method of training will do that to an already maxed out Natty, sorry...
You'll gain some if you go from a life long cable-pumper to a brutal Powerlifting/Hypertrophy progression, not 30 lbs  ::)

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
I did that routine one summer.^

It's eating very high calories and doing one all out set of superslow reps to failure per exercise.

I got fat.
:D That's what happens.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
I think that Rmj11 would be well advised to shove his head up OAKS ass.

Totally obsessed with a guy that passed away decades ago........get a life you loser.

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
Haha! You noticed that too? I made a thread about middle-aged gurus inevitably losing their minds and in some cases becoming perma-angry.

Carter seems to have a petulant personality disorder. He seems like a sociopath and compulsive liar.

Yes, and to be fair I think I first read about the concept in your thread  ;D

It’s remarkable how often it happens though.  I don’t keep up with the “scene” the way
I used to but just off the top of my head I remember Lyle McDonald, Charles Poliquin, Emeric Delczeg, Phil Hernon all going off the deep end to various degrees.

Paul Carter is jacked, tall, seems to be successful in his arena, and has a hot wife.  WTF reason does a guy like that have to be so short-tempered?  Makes me appreciate my life even more

BBSSchlemiel

• Getbig IV

It’s remarkable how often it happens though.  I don’t keep up with the “scene” the way
I used to but just off the top of my head I remember Lyle McDonald, Charles Poliquin, Emeric Delczeg, Phil Hernon all going off the deep end to various degrees.

Paul Carter is jacked, tall, seems to be successful in his arena, and has a hot wife.  WTF reason does a guy like that have to be so short-tempered?  Makes me appreciate my life even more

There’s something wrong with him. This popped up in my feed today on IG. Always bitching.

Titus Pullo

• Getbig III
I think that Rmj11 would be well advised to shove his head up OAKS ass.

Totally obsessed with a guy that passed away decades ago........get a life you loser.

Agreed, Tim, but he's purely here to troll.  You recall that hateful shit he said about BigRo's father, I'm sure.

BBSSchlemiel

• Getbig IV
Did Carter mention he toon Anabolic in order to gain the 30 lbs?? No method of training will do that to an already maxed out Natty, sorry...
You'll gain some if you go from a life long cable-pumper to a brutal Powerlifting/Hypertrophy progression, not 30 lbs  ::)
[/quote

Recently he made a post about natural limits and said natties can expect to gain 30 to 40 pounds of muscle, or something similar. So Paul did that in one summer. :)

BBSSchlemiel

• Getbig IV

I remember Hernon would fire off on Facebook about sociopolitical issues. In one post, in response to me, he spoke about income inequality and how fast food workers and doctors both work hard, and because of that, fast-food workers should be paid more.

Did you see a few years ago Lyle McDonald went on a warpath because of a conversation with Mike Israel that went in a way he didn't like.

Imagine getting angry in one's fifties about ideas about lifting?

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
I remember Hernon would fire off on Facebook about sociopolitical issues. In one post, in response to me, he spoke about income inequality and how fast food workers and doctors both work hard, and because of that, fast-food workers should be paid more.

Did you see a few years ago Lyle McDonald went on a warpath because of a conversation with Mike Israel that went in a way he didn't like.

Imagine getting angry in one's fifties about ideas about lifting?
Do fast food workers go to school/training for 10 years?

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
Agreed, Tim, but he's purely here to troll.  You recall that hateful shit he said about BigRo's father, I'm sure.
Yes I do my friend.....I hated his ridiculous trolling but the remark about BigRos father has made me literally hate him.

Who does that sort of thing............only an asshole is my answer.

All the best brother!  ;)

BBSSchlemiel

• Getbig IV
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4qVrofAQnP/?igsh=NXl0NG1haHlsY2c5

A weird video post. Do you guys think he has something going on with his teeth?

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
Big Fake Choppers.