Author Topic: Getbig Luxury Watch Thread - what do you got?  (Read 5768 times)

youandme

• Getbig V
Re: Do we have a getbig luxury watch thread?
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2023, 06:04:15 AM »
What’s the best Invicta watch?

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2023, 06:24:56 AM »
Rob,I`ll trade you a nice 2010 Ford Focus for your cheapest Rolex.

Deal  ???

;D

robcguns

• Getbig V
  • Founder of the proud straight white male movement
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2023, 06:55:28 AM »
Rob,I`ll trade you a nice 2010 Ford Focus for your cheapest Rolex.

Deal  ???

Deal.

Taffin

• Getbig V
  • Training out my gay penor...
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2023, 07:04:26 AM »
What’s the best Invicta watch?

The 1953 looks good and has the Seiko NH35 automatic movement, well-regulated from the factory.  Pop a nice leather strap or Bond NATO on and it looks like the Goldfinger watch (if you squint real hard LOL)

Of course, it's no Rolex... ;D

T

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2023, 07:12:02 AM »
Yeah there is nothing like Rolex out there. It’s crazy. I bought a sub 126610ln from my AD about 6 months ago because he called and asked if I wanted it. I paid around 10.6k out the door and i drove to a grey dealer i in is and. Sold it to him for 16k so i made 5400 within an hour of purchase and he sold it for 17k next day. I remember about a year ago people paying 50k for the Rolex Daytona 116500 white dial and it was 15k from the AD. If you had a good relationship with an AD between 2020-2022 you could have a made killing. I also got a blnr on jubilee for around 11k out the door and sold for 17k next day. There was so much money to be made. There is still a lot just not as much as that timeframe.

Is there a website/discussion forum to get all of this information? It’s very interesting to me.

robcguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2023, 07:17:56 AM »
Is there a website/discussion forum to get all of this information? It’s very interesting to me.

Yeah go on trf. The Rolex forum. Tons of info on everything you could imagine from watch movement to prices. They have sub forums on all kinds of watches like patek,omega,panerai,audemars,jaeger etc…

visualizeperfection

• Getbig V
  • Getbig sponsored athlete.
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2023, 07:44:32 AM »
Cause they know I’ve been into watches for 30 years and always ask what I’m wearing and what it costs. Then when i tell them I’m wearing a 10k- 20k watch they go crazy and say they’re motorcycle costs less or whatever. It’s my thing and i would much rather spend 20k on a watch than a bike or boat or whatever. Also I’m far from rich but i will spend on the right watch cause you never lose money on a Rolex. So it’s an insurance policy as well. I remember picking up a platinum Daytona years ago for 35k off a degenerate gambler who needed cash. I wore it for a few months and then sold it for 50k that same watch now goes for 100-150k all day. Rolex is crazy. If you are lucky enough to get certain models which is extremely hard you can double your money same day. Daytona ss buy for 15k and walk out the door and sell for 30k within and hour.

Hundred percent true.

My 16610, that I paid 6500$ for in like 2015? Shot up to nearly 17k value during the Covid. Same with my 16700 and 16803. The datejust is sort of stagnant. Doesn’t matter, not going to sell them. Especially the GMT. The old GMT watches are crazy valuable, could be a part of my retirement portfolio in 20 years.

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2023, 07:45:23 AM »
Hundred percent true.

My 16610, that I paid 6500$ for in like 2015? Shot up to nearly 17k value during the Covid. Same with my 16700 and 16803. The datejust is sort of stagnant. Doesn’t matter, not going to sell them. Especially the GMT. The old GMT watches are crazy valuable, could be a part of my retirement portfolio in 20 years.

So people didnt spend too long on their 20 minutes allowed walks

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2023, 07:51:24 AM »
Wes's first watch was a rock sun dial ;D

....I have an older Tag that I have no idea what it's worth.

visualizeperfection

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2023, 07:53:55 AM »
So people didnt spend too long on their 20 minutes allowed walks

It never got that bad here during all the lockdown BS. I know certain areas of the country did.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2023, 07:56:29 AM »
Hundred percent true.

Guy I used to work with did this all the time - he'd find Rolexes he felt were underpriced or just normal price, buy them, wear them for a year and flip. He basically said he did it to wear Rolexes for free since he claimed he couldn't lose money.
Y

visualizeperfection

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2023, 08:03:06 AM »
Guy I used to work with did this all the time - he'd find Rolexes he felt were underpriced or just normal price, buy them, wear them for a year and flip. He basically said he did it to wear Rolexes for free since he claimed he couldn't lose money.

There were a lot of guys that invested in higher end 50k + watches, and got caught holding the bag when the prices tanked early this year. They lost money. Also an incredibly unique time in the market, obviously.

On a long enough timeline, you will make your money back though.

My newest Rolex is 23 years old, and they are all going for way more than they were originally MSRP’d at. I would have to look at inflation to see exactly how much, but still better than any other consumer product I should imagine.

ChristopherA

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2023, 08:07:15 AM »
My fit bit is also a watch

mops

• Getbig IV
  • Never make snow angels in a dog park
« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2023, 08:48:52 AM »
The invention and popularization of quartz watches in the early 1970s brought the traditional watchmaking industry on the brink of extinction. That's all you really need to know about "luxury timepieces."

Rolex is often mistakenly credited as the first company to have come up with fully automatic/self-winding wristwatches. That credit actually goes to british watchmaker John Harwood who produced the first models (1920s). The mechanism was a bumper winding system; the kinetic energy needed to keep the watch running came from a "large" weight in the shape of a hammer that was attached centrally at the movement and could freely rotate around an arc of about 200-270 degrees.

EDIT : Here's what it looks like

Rolex did kinda modernize the concept by bringing a free spinning rotor system with a counter-weight that moves 360 degrees in either direction without limitation. A full oscillation is more energy efficient than bumping back and forth. I say "kinda" since Rolex actually borrowed the technology from another company named Aegler for itself.

On another note, l often hear people telling me they don't need a watch coz they already have a phone.

Fair enough, I can't argue with the accuracy of a device that uses both an internal clock system (quartz crystal resonator or a sillicone one), and a connection to GPS satellites atomic clocks through local time servers.

I find it interesting though that so many people have switched back to the inconvenient era of pocket watches....

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2023, 09:44:48 AM »
Deal.
Where do I sign.........I`ll send you the pink slip ASAP,  ;D

OlympiaGym

• Getbig IV
  • they/them/their
« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2023, 09:54:10 AM »
If you’ve ever been to NYC’s diamond district you know what group controls the “luxury” watch market. They set the market and run the industry. Everyone else is just along for the ride. If you want to support them then go ahead and partake in the market. Otherwise, use your phone or a $100 watch, which will perform as well as any luxury watch,

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2023, 10:14:57 AM »
There were a lot of guys that invested in higher end 50k + watches, and got caught holding the bag when the prices tanked early this year. They lost money. Also an incredibly unique time in the market, obviously.

On a long enough timeline, you will make your money back though.

My newest Rolex is 23 years old, and they are all going for way more than they were originally MSRP’d at. I would have to look at inflation to see exactly how much, but still better than any other consumer product I should imagine.

Makes sense.

However, he was buying selling in the 5-10k range, I think.  Never mentioned the amounts you're talking about.

I think watches look cool, and can easily see how somebody could get into this shit hard.  I was offered a "tutorial" of sorts by this guy, but I didn't want to go that route.
Y

robcguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2023, 10:23:06 AM »
If you’ve ever been to NYC’s diamond district you know what group controls the “luxury” watch market. They set the market and run the industry. Everyone else is just along for the ride. If you want to support them then go ahead and partake in the market. Otherwise, use your phone or a $100 watch, which will perform as well as any luxury watch,

It’s only partaking if you are purchasing grey market. If buying from an authorized dealer you just flip and make money and see you later. You can’t lose on buying a Rolex at a dealer on thru grey.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2023, 10:23:40 AM »
I like watches and while I cannot afford anywhere near the high-end, I do like some of them.  I have a couple of "smart" watches to keep track of total steps, workouts and heart stuff.  I also have some inexpensive watches that look okay but not ITG. 

robcguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2023, 12:46:55 PM »
what is / your  AD?

Authorized dealer, the only place you will pay retail for a Rolex.

Theoak*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2023, 03:23:50 PM »
Bought a grand carrera Tag Heuer 7 years ago for around 12k.

I like the sporty look of them, next Tag watch possibly get next year would be the Senna edition.

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #71 on: December 03, 2023, 03:32:03 PM »
My Breitling Bentley hasn’t appreciated at all. Is it a piece of shit? Bought it for like $5K in 2012ish. I realize that it’s no Rolex, but I just figured because of Bidenomics.

Moontrane

• Getbig V
  • a Harris administration, together with Joe Biden
« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2023, 03:56:02 PM »
I only wear a watch when I wear a suit or a sports jacket. Then it's a simple Citizen eco drive watch. I got the one with a black face. I see it as a decoration since we all have phones.

The watch I use running is a Garmin Forerunner. It does more things than I care to figure out on the watch. When I run it gives me the miles, pace per mile; time for the run; heart rate and few things I don't care about. It has some advanced feature that I would like figure out but I couldn't figure it out even watching youtubes about it.

I have used the same exact Casio model to wake me up for work for 40 years. You can throw it as far as you can throw letting land on concrete and it still works. One time I swam in the ocean with it and worked perfectly. It's indestructible. When the battery would die I would throw it out and buy a new one. The battery lasts about 5 plus years. You can still find the classic model for various prices but if you search you can get it for $20 bucks. It tells the time of course, wake up alarm, countdown alarm good for bag work and a stop watch. The watch pictured is not the exact watch I got but close enough.

I had a Citizen Ecodrive, but it lasted only 16-17 years.  It had a monocoque casing, so it was not feasible to change the battery.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2023, 04:01:42 PM »
My Breitling Bentley hasn’t appreciated at all. Is it a piece of shit? Bought it for like $5K in 2012ish. I realize that it’s no Rolex, but I just figured because of Bidenomics.

Lol, sorry bro, from what I’ve read after starting this thread, Breitling doesn’t appreciate. I have two, one I bought 4 years ago for about $9k that’s worth probably $5k and another I paid $3,500 for that I just checked them and they go for $2,500 used on eBay. I have some older Tags that are in the $1,500 range and a Movado I bought about 17 years ago for about $900.

One thing I did read when scrolling back and forth through the articles, they’re saying Breitling is more for a bigger rugged dude rather than the refined look of the Rolex.

Moontrane

• Getbig V
  • a Harris administration, together with Joe Biden
« Reply #74 on: December 03, 2023, 04:12:22 PM »

Careful...you can fall into a rabbit hole.  ;D

https://www.horologyboard.com/

https://forums.timezone.com/

https://www.watchuseek.com/forums/public-forum.2/

https://www.watchtalkforums.info/