Author Topic: Interesting.... Iraq Study Group recommended privatizing the Oil  (Read 1573 times)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Interesting.... Iraq Study Group recommended privatizing the Oil
« on: December 10, 2006, 10:47:49 PM »
Oil for Sale: Iraq Study Group Recommends Privatization
http://www.alternet.org/waroniraq/45190

Interesting because at the beginning of this, the plan to privatize(Neocon's plan) was killed by big oil, by James Baker...

New plans, obtained from the State Department by Newsnight and Harper's Magazine under the US Freedom of Information Act, called for creation of a state-owned oil company favoured by the US oil industry. It was completed in January 2004 under the guidance of Amy Jaffe of the James Baker Institute in Texas.

Formerly US Secretary of State, Baker is now an attorney representing Exxon-Mobil and the Saudi Arabian government.

Questioned by Newsnight, Ms Jaffe said the oil industry prefers state control of Iraq's oil over a sell-off because it fears a repeat of Russia's energy privatisation. In the wake of the collapse of the Soviet Union, US oil companies were barred from bidding for the reserves.

Ms Jaffe says US oil companies are not warm to any plan that would undermine Opec and the current high oil price: "I'm not sure that if I'm the chair of an American company, and you put me on a lie detector test, I would say high oil prices are bad for me or my company."

But from the first article posted above, this kind of explains why the James Baker/Big Oil flip...
This past July, U.S. Energy Secretary Bodman announced in Baghdad that senior U.S. oil company executives would not enter Iraq without passage of the new law. Petroleum Economist magazine later reported that U.S. oil companies put passage of the oil law before security concerns as the deciding factor over their entry into Iraq. Put simply, the oil companies are trying to get what they were denied before the war or at anytime in modern Iraqi history: access to Iraq's oil under the ground. They are also trying to get the best deal possible out of a war-ravaged and occupied nation. However, waiting for the law's passage and the need to guarantee security of U.S. firms once they get to work, may well be a key factor driving the one proposal by the Iraq Study Group that has received great media attention: extending the presence of U.S. troops in Iraq at least until 2008.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Interesting.... Iraq Study Group recommended privatizing the Oil
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 07:46:30 AM »
but... but... but... our being there has nothing to do with their oil.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Re: Interesting.... Iraq Study Group recommended privatizing the Oil
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 08:32:52 AM »
I wonder if he's made the same recommendations to the Saudi Royal Family.

Nah, he's probably too busy defending them against the lawsuits from the families of the victims of 9-11.