Author Topic: Iran's President Did Not Say "Israel must be wiped off the map"  (Read 1122 times)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Iran's President Did Not Say "Israel must be wiped off the map"
« on: January 19, 2007, 05:34:26 AM »
Ok, some time ago, not trusting the media, I was curious to see exactly what the Iranian President said and after examining the exact translations, I could not find that he had said this.  Here is my original thread on this: http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=112361.0

Here is what I ran across today...

01/18/07 "Information Clearing House" -- -- Across the world, a dangerous rumor has spread that could have catastrophic implications. According to legend, Iran's President has threatened to destroy Israel, or, to quote the misquote, "Israel must be wiped off the map". Contrary to popular belief, this statement was never made, as this article will prove.... Cont... http://informationclearinghouse.info/article16218.htm

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
Re: Iran's President Did Not Say "Israel must be wiped off the map"
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 06:53:29 AM »
The inflammatory "wiped off the map" quote was first disseminated not by Iran's enemies, but by Iran itself. The Islamic Republic News Agency, Iran's official propaganda arm, used this phrasing in the English version of some of their news releases covering the World Without Zionism conference. International media including the BBC, Al Jazeera, Time magazine and countless others picked up the IRNA quote and made headlines out of it without verifying its accuracy, and rarely referring to the source. Iran's Foreign Minister soon attempted to clarify the statement, but the quote had a life of its own. Though the IRNA wording was inaccurate and misleading, the media assumed it was true, and besides, it made great copy.

Iran released this first. Nothing gets released out of Iran without the presidents approval. So he must have meant it.
Most sayings can have multiple translations I would go with the official one released from Iran.

Not your revisionist crap.
Z

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 07:04:46 AM »

you're so inconsistent.

you discount every early report on 9/11 from victims on the scene, and only value the reports once sanitized and released by official sources.

but in this case, when the US meida *may have* ran with this quote to get people all riled up, you prefer to use version 1.0 because you prefer it.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 07:05:15 AM »
Iran released this first. Nothing gets released out of Iran without the presidents approval. So he must have meant it.
Most sayings can have multiple translations I would go with the official one released from Iran.

Show me the original translated release ;)  I looked at it, did you 8)  It was in the original thread.  And calm yourself with the revisionist crap...  I'm not trying to revise shit... I first looked into this before it was a story anywhere... ALL I wanted was to know exactly what he said... Our media has a long history of blowing shit out of proportion so I wanted to see for myself... then I ran across this today so I added it to the info I found originally.  The only think I've ever wanted was accuracy and not embellishment in understanding exactly what was said. and embellishment is exactly what happened.  It's sick you have a problem with that...

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 07:13:12 AM »
I cut my original post right out of the essay you posted.

I have seen multiple translations on many documents.
Your source has posted more than one version

Iran released the "wipe off the map" translation.

I take the Iranian government and their translators at their word since no official press release would go out without the consent of their leader.

This is from Al Jazeera, I am sure they have some translators on staff.
http://english.aljazeera.net/news/archive/archive?ArchiveId=15816
Z