Author Topic: Hormones and intense excercise builds muscle  (Read 9006 times)

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Re: Hormones and intense excercise builds muscle
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2024, 01:30:05 PM »
brad says 3-4 meals per day is enough here in this vid

nubret ate only 1 or 2 meals a day supposedly

he also says 2-3 reps in reserve is just as good as going to failure, but i call bs on that

depends on what you mean by failure
Is it stopping when you cant get a rep strictly or after cheating some out?

And most compound excercises dont really allow you to go to failure without risking injury

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2024, 01:33:11 PM »

he also says 2-3 reps in reserve is just as good as going to failure, but i call bs on that

I'll tell you one thing, I think Brad is a total joke and not just because he never ever went to failure and is a big pussy, but also because his research is just shit. He claims he puts people on programs where they squat to failure for 10 or even 35 sets (I may be exaggerating but not by much) with a minutes rest between sets in "his lab." Just impossible stuff.

MajorDomo

• Getbig III
  • I'm here to chew bubblegum
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2024, 01:44:30 PM »
Weight training is not complicated. A decent load for multiple sets performed a few times a week. Probably the single most important factor is consistency- if you stick with  training long enough, sleep well and maintain a good diet, you will get bigger and stronger. There are no shortcuts if you are trying to stay natural. Muscle growth is slow.

I remember starting out as a runner in high school. I didn't compete- I just ran with friends on a very regular basis and we slowly got faster and faster. By the time I was 18 I ran 5K under 18 minutes without breaking a sweat- that is not super competitive but still pretty quick. When I tried to go to the next level I started structured training and knocked another 2 min off my 5K time but I then hated running and eventually quit. I think back and wonder if I just kept running for fun how much better I might have gotten.

I treat weight training like that- I lift for the pump and enjoy it.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2024, 01:55:56 PM »
I dont really know how much I was eating , probably around 200gms or so beacuse I put carbs back in.
Eating a carnivore I was eating more protein.

Thanks. So you eat a good and believable amount of protein. Docs and nutritionists would class that as "high" protein. So the 50-80 grams is woefully inadequate in most cases. 80 grams is just the RDA for a 100kg person and it's not going to work well for a bb, unless they compete at 135lbs. If you were ever trying to gain a lot more, with a lot of anabolics and GH, you would be at the approx. 300 gram "very high" camp as well. Like every other "big" bb. Those pushing to the max with anabolics are generally in the 350 gram or even 400 gram range especially precontest, if they weigh more than maybe 215 on stage.

Just my interpretation  :)

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2024, 01:57:22 PM »
Weight training is not complicated. A decent load for multiple sets performed a few times a week. Probably the single most important factor is consistency- if you stick with  training long enough, sleep well and maintain a good diet, you will get bigger and stronger. There are no shortcuts if you are trying to stay natural. Muscle growth is slow.

I remember starting out as a runner in high school. I didn't compete- I just ran with friends on a very regular basis and we slowly got faster and faster. By the time I was 18 I ran 5K under 18 minutes without breaking a sweat- that is not super competitive but still pretty quick. When I tried to go to the next level I started structured training and knocked another 2 min off my 5K time but I then hated running and eventually quit. I think back and wonder if I just kept running for fun how much better I might have gotten.

I treat weight training like that- I lift for the pump and enjoy it.

Its also the easiest of all sports
99% of bodybuiolders dont even break sweat in the gym unless its mid summer

Most bodybuilers wouldnt last two minutes playing another sport while all other sports people could piss through a BB workout

I remember when I played rugby at 20, twice a week we used to run 2 miles to the training ground from where we got changed.
We did sprint training multiple circuits running around carrying each other then a 30 minute tick and pass game then ran the 2 miles back, and it was uphill back.
I also weight trained three days a week and played a game on Saturday

Fucks sake 3 sets 10 reps on three excercises GTFO

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2024, 02:00:36 PM »
Thanks. So you eat a good and believable amount of protein. Docs and nutritionists would class that as "high" protein. So the 50-80 grams is woefully inadequate in most cases. 80 grams is just the RDA for a 100kg person and it's not going to work well for a bb, unless they compete at 135lbs. If you were ever trying to gain a lot more, with a lot of anabolics and GH, you would be at the approx. 300 gram "very high" camp as well. Like every other "big" bb. Those pushing to the max with anabolics are generally in the 350 gram or even 400 gram range especially precontest, if they weigh more than maybe 215 on stage.

Just my interpretation  :)

I knew a guy who ate almost no protein , he was vegan and ate one big meal a day of steamed veg
He used to swim (open water) cycle and run as well as weight train, he even completed a triathlon
He was only around 160lb at 5'9

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2024, 02:44:06 PM »
How do you make a hormone?

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2024, 02:46:37 PM »
stick it up her ass...

Titus Pullo

• Getbig III
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2024, 03:03:56 PM »
I'll tell you one thing, I think Brad is a total joke and not just because he never ever went to failure and is a big pussy, but also because his research is just shit. He claims he puts people on programs where they squat to failure for 10 or even 35 sets (I may be exaggerating but not by much) with a minutes rest between sets in "his lab." Just impossible stuff.

What?!  That's crazy!

Even if you are exaggerating a bit, you're easily one of the most reliable people here, so I doubt you're far off the mark.

Has this Brad fellow ever filmed one of these epic sessions?

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2024, 03:24:03 PM »
stick it up her ass...

Bio-identical?

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2024, 08:37:32 PM »
Bio-identical?
What do you call a whore with a runny nose?

FULL  ;D

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2024, 08:52:25 PM »
People gorging on 6k cals a day are not gaining any extra muscle than someone eating 3k
They are just getting fatter.

Not necessarily. All of those guys bulked up in their formative years.

Franco, Arnold and Zane all gained weight going into a contest. Yes I know they are steroid guys. The bulk and then diet down system  of the early 60's is nuts.  Gain lean muscle.

Look at some of Schwarzenegger's early pics. Even Vince Gironda called him a "fat f--k". He was smooth but was winning contests. You may recall there was a time where bodybuilders got marked down (i.e. Gironda himself) for being too ripped, as it was deemed unhealthy.

If you're skinny, trying to gain just lean muscle is an exercise in futility. Going from a 160-lb twig to a 165-lb twig in a year is going to make you want to take up badminton.

These guys ate lots of beef and mixed their protein drinks with heavy cream. Larry Scott, the first Mr. Olympia, swore by it.

I grew up (bodybuilding-wise) in the late 80s and 90s, when John Parillo first started his (up to) 10,000-calorie-per-day diet. He predicted that bodybuilders would one day be competing at or over three bills. People thought he was nuts. But, soon we had 316-lb Lou Ferrigno at the 1993 Olympia. Gunter Schlierkamp (though not super-ripped) competed at 300. He actually placed better when he weighed less.

Steroids or no steroids, few (if any) get super-big without putting away the groceries. There are a handful of anomalies to this, just as there are those dudes who get ripped with no cardio (Dexter Jackson in younger days).

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2024, 08:58:17 PM »

Interestingly enough, while Dorian Yates was known for going to failure (and beyond via negatives and forced reps), Ronnie Coleman almost never went to failure intentionally. He claimed on that 800-lb squat he did for two reps that he stopped himself there but could have banged out two more.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2024, 09:57:37 PM »
What?!  That's crazy!

Even if you are exaggerating a bit, you're easily one of the most reliable people here, so I doubt you're far off the mark.

Has this Brad fellow ever filmed one of these epic sessions?

No I'm not aware of any filmed sessions but maybe they are out there. Anyone who trains seriously knows if you do one set to failure on squats or similar and then go another within a minute you are going to fall flat on your face. Ok, say 2-3 sets, but 10 or more of them? Lyle has been blasting Brad about it for years. Lyle is fucked up in ways but he's basically always right in what he says.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C5yggutuQyv/?igsh=MWtsNWtyNWphMGtsYg==

https://www.instagram.com/p/C2sh9xrpgyv/?igsh=MWFiY3U3bTl1eWI3Mw==

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2iEqqdAkzE/?igsh=MWNsaW0ydmFqY3dnYQ==

https://www.instagram.com/p/CnCjOHlO4nR/?igsh=MWw3d2prYXM0Z2pzcA==

No one really acknowledges Lyle, they call him sick, but the real reason is he would tear them apart.

All these studies are worth shit when anyone can glance at them and see the routines are IMPOSSIBLE  ;D

I wish I could find a certain clip of Brad training to "failure," what a dweeb.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2024, 12:28:23 AM »
Franco, Arnold and Zane all gained weight going into a contest. Yes I know they are steroid guys. The bulk and then diet down system  of the early 60's is nuts.  Gain lean muscle.
Even more true for naturals. Natties who bulk up just get fat and just shrink down to a smaller fat person when they cut.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2024, 03:18:38 AM »

Good, expensive, foods(meat, eggs, raw cream) and hefty volume(without failure) seems to work "best". There's also a delicious overlap with the right amount of intensity required which can only be gauged by doing an exercise and setting adequate base points.

Never took "drugs" as it would be a waste on my meager physique.

Amerian Muscle

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2024, 03:55:35 AM »

Good, expensive, foods(meat, eggs, raw cream) and hefty volume(without failure) seems to work "best". There's also a delicious overlap with the right amount of intensity required which can only be gauged by doing an exercise and setting adequate base points.

how much did you gain? Stats?

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2024, 04:26:00 AM »

I would say if someone doesn't ever train to failure they aren't really training almost. While not hitting failure on say squats when you are an experienced lifter can be very prudent, if someone doesn't hit failure on say cable tricep extensions or bicep curls, they aren't really training hard enough. Because you have to do work in that failure zone a lot, first as newbie to learn effort and where the failure point lies, and then as advanced to get enough stimulus. I would bet you hit failure too on these small exercises, no?

I always say that many peoole say they hit failure every working set on quads but here almost no one actually does, because on the angled leg press how often do we actually see someone actually fail and have to hit the bottom stoppers and squeezy out of the machine? Lol. Almost never, most don't even use a spotter so even hard trainers are mostly 1-2-3 reps from failure when they abort. Anyone here disagree? And like I said, if those study subjects of Schoenfeld actually hit failure they are not doing more than 2 sets, let alone 10 sets of squats or 45 sets a week for legs, or whatever is claimed.

Drugs are often the most dramatic for guys with meager physiques, not that I recommend starting to anyone, never have, because it almost always ends up being for life as you mostly "can't" train without them once you start.

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • 2024 NPC Charlotte Cup Champion
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2024, 04:39:24 AM »
I would say if someone doesn't ever train to failure they aren't really training almost. While not hitting failure on say squats when you are an experienced lifter can be very prudent, if someone doesn't hit failure on say cable tricep extensions or bicep curls, they aren't really training hard enough. Because you have to do work in that failure zone a lot, first as newbie to learn effort and where the failure point lies, and then as advanced to get enough stimulus. I would bet you hit failure too on these small exercises, no?

I always say that many peoole say they hit failure every working set on quads but here almost no one actually does, because on the angled leg press how often do we actually see someone actually fail and have to hit the bottom stoppers and squeezy out of the machine? Lol. Almost never, most don't even use a spotter so even hard trainers are mostly 1-2-3 reps from failure when they abort. Anyone here disagree? And like I said, if those study subjects of Schoenfeld actually hit failure they are not doing more than 2 sets, let alone 10 sets of squats or 45 sets a week for legs, or whatever is claimed.

Drugs are often the most dramatic for guys with meager physiques, not that I recommend starting to anyone, never have, because it almost always ends up being for life as you mostly "can't" train without them once you start.

I am going to disagree and let me explain why. I do a warmup set to "failure" at the beginning of every workout. Pretty much just a lactic acid burn for example I managed 39 reps on leg extensions as my warmup set yesterday. I then banged out heavier sets of around 15-20 reps. Was I hitting absolute failure no I could have gotten another rep or 2 if I had wanted. However I do feel a couple heavy working sets is better than one light set to failure.

I mean just think about it what is better one light set to absolute failure or 5 heavy sets close to failure? The idea is to get a pump and blood and nutrients into the muscle not just to hit failure. If you hit complete failure warming up you don't have neough to hit working sets hard. Those hard working sets are better than just one set to failure.

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2024, 04:49:18 AM »
You guys also need to remember carbs and fats are protein sparring. Too many guys eat a ton of protein and not enough carbs and fats well guess what you just wasted all that protein as it will be used inefficiently for energy instead of muscle growth.

And 200 calories extra a day lol your body doesn't pump out the exact same amount of hormones everyday. You don't have the exact amount of activity everyday. It is ok to eat more calories on days you have more hunger. Listen to your body if it is telling you to eat more there is a reason. If it is telling you to sleep more there is a reason. If it is telling you to rest more there is a reason. Look at children they don't grow in a linear fashion the exact same amount everyday they go through growth spurts. The body will stay at the same weight forever then put 10lbs on in a week. When your body wants to grow feed it.

None of the studies are accurate they all involve people that are not you. People have trained more or less than you and have different metabolisms and current muscle mass and age than you.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2024, 05:02:25 AM »
You guys also need to remember carbs and fats are protein sparring. Too many guys eat a ton of protein and not enough carbs and fats well guess what you just wasted all that protein as it will be used inefficiently for energy instead of muscle growth.

And 200 calories extra a day lol your body doesn't pump out the exact same amount of hormones everyday. You don't have the exact amount of activity everyday. It is ok to eat more calories on days you have more hunger. Listen to your body if it is telling you to eat more there is a reason. Look at children they don't grow in a linear fashion the exact same amount everyday they go through growth spurts. The body will stay at the same weight forever then put 10lbs on in a week. When your body wants to grow feed it.
......and you eat like a 15 year old kid..........190 or  238  it mattered not.....did jackshit for your physique. 

198 or 238.........at either weight,you look like hammered dogshit !

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2024, 05:03:01 AM »
......and you eat like a 15 year old kid..........190 or  238  it mattered not.....did jackshit for your physique. 

198 or 238.........at either weight,you look like hammered dogshit !

154lbs you competed at 154lbs sit down

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2024, 05:04:22 AM »
I am going to disagree and let me explain why. I do a warmup set to "failure" at the beginning of every workout. Pretty much just a lactic acid burn for example I managed 39 reps on leg extensions as my warmup set yesterday. I then banged out heavier sets of around 15-20 reps. Was I hitting absolute failure no I could have gotten another rep or 2 if I had wanted. However I do feel a couple heavy working sets is better than one light set to failure.

I mean just think about it what is better one light set to absolute failure or 5 heavy sets close to failure? The idea is to get a pump and blood and nutrients into the muscle not just to hit failure. If you hit complete failure warming up you don't have neough to hit working sets hard. Those hard working sets are better than just one set to failure.
3 "working" sets of leg extensions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2024, 05:05:47 AM »
154lbs you competed at 154lbs sit down
......and you placed last in every show you entered until you beat Ding and Dong The Bell brothers!   LOL  ;D

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2024, 05:06:44 AM »
how much did you gain? Stats?

I gained around 12lbs over the years(starting at 163lbs) - so I can approve of the saying that if there's not substantial change in the beginning then it will, most likely, never occur. I'm 5'8" and I'm somewhat robust but still a total manlet. Many years ago, when I was enlisted as a "medic in training" I came across young farmers(called "Gscheate" in Austria) and they were built like brick walls ... minimum 6 feet, thick muscle and tiger paws for hands. Some of them weighed 100 kilos with abs.
I felt like a mammal among Dinosaurs  :'(

@Van_Bilderass
Failure did not do much for me as it just stressed me out. What seems to have worked is have a set tonnage and work it via different "rep times set" schemes culminating in more tonnage. Of course the exercises have to be rotated. Despite my sporty physique quite a few men and women have trusted me in regards to training and what I could verify in all of them is that high volume increased each trainees look & mass.

Steroids are beyond awesome tools but I'm not as much into getting as big as possible(which would still be small) as I used to be. I have started calisthenics and I like it way more than bodybuilding. Like in any endeavor if you ain't made for it, it's a nonsensical game.