Author Topic: Natty asking for serious advice  (Read 17128 times)

The Italian Lifter

• Getbig IV
  • I need an English dictionary!
Natty asking for serious advice
« on: July 18, 2011, 06:37:43 AM »
Hi to all, I would like to have a little help form you guys.

What is the best way for a lifetime natty of 37 years old to train?

How many times a week?
How many total sets per session or week?

I'm tired of asking this and getting the same usual reply: being old and natty it would be better for me to go play with sand.

Some stats that may help you:

I'm 6' (182 cm);
25% bodyfat more or less and weight is 207 lbs (94 kg);
I train in a basement with access to bench press, barbells, dumbells, home-made parallels as well as chinning bar :)
I train since 1992

I really hope I get an answer from someone with experience and thank you all in advance for your time in helping me; this kind answer could be helpful maybe also for others.

North of Italy

JAM

• Getbig III
  • いちごいちえ
Re: Natty asking for serious advice
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 08:56:39 AM »
I saw your thread got viewed a bunch of times and no response so ... here goes.  Overall, it all depends on what you want to achieve.  For example, if body fat % reduction is a priority then maybe you need to incorporate some form of cardio into your work outs with a caloric restriction.  This is of course assuming you require that type of effort for fat loss as some folks can get away without it.  Or if your goal is strength gains then you may lift differently than someone just wanting to stay in shape.  See what I mean?

There is no set "this formula works best" because everyone is different.  You mentioned that you have worked out since 1992, so what worked well to help you get where you want to go?  For me I like to focus on strength more than appearance so I lift in the 4-6 rep range with heavy compound movements.  I do a three day split with day 1 pushing movements, day 2 legs, day 3 pulling movements.  I also do cardio for at least 1 hour every day plus walk 30 mins in the afternoon.  This works for me and what I want but it may not be for everyone.

Also what is your diet like?  For instance it is often stated 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight.  While that is a decent general guideline it can be adjusted for your body type.  (How efficiently you can absorb nutrients, etc).  For me I actually go with around 0.7 grams of protein per pound of LEAN body weight and that works great.  More than that amount just = extra calories and then I have to increase activity. 

I hope this helps and maybe can get you to think about diet, exercises, goals, etc. 

8)

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 12:19:15 PM »
Train 4 days a week

150-200 grams of protein

250 grams of carbs

chest and bis

back and tris and calves

quads and hams

shoulders and abs

10-12 sets for large bodyparts

8-9 sets for smaller bodyparts

rest 2 minutes between sets

cycle your reps.....one month 8-10 reps.....next month 15-20 reps

keep your body guessing by always changing exercises.....or even the order of exercises

for instance......start with bench one workout.....and maybe 3 chest workouts later....end the workout with bench.

confuse the muscles so they can't adapt to what you are doing.

concentrate on the mind/muscle connection.....don't worry about poundage....poundage will come with time.....focus on the squeeze and feel of the exercise.

do not overtrain......get plenty of rest and don't be afraid of taking a day off.

4 days a week with concentration.....and then let the body recover.

eat steak and chicken and cottage cheese for protein......potatoes and rice and whole wheat bread for carbs.....make sure you get plenty of good fats.....from sources like peanut butter etc.

Drink a protein drink when you aren't hungry for solid food.....but make sure to eat solid food....don't just live on the protein drinks.

in closing......don't listen to any negativity.....surround yourself with positive people.

get a good reliable training partner!

PhysiqueNatural

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 12:51:03 AM »
Stick to basic old school routines, meaning basic lifts and techniques, must lift moderatly heavy with some higher reps on assisting exercises like for example fly for chest.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 03:09:39 AM »
Damn we dont care, show us some nice whore pics .

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 10:57:48 PM »
Damn we dont care, show us some nice whore pics .

X2, or Italian nurses

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 07:44:45 AM »
when being natural all you can do is diet and low bf and definition

forget about building muscle size it's impossible

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 09:14:31 AM »
Not unless you follow the teachings of Dr. Layne Norton. A natural with size and definition.
layne has an unfair advantage with superior intellect and doctorates in protein synthesis and a post doctorate in occlusion training with doctor yemel

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 09:46:02 AM »
That's right. When you have that type of knowledge and intellect, combined with incredible dieting and training discipline, there are no limits to where you can take your physique.

there is literally no way for you and me to even grasp the depth of laynes understanding of protein synthesis so i will always give him benefit of doubt when his status is brought to question

layne is not your average knucklehead bluecollar joe the bodybuilder

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 10:13:08 AM »
I would want a phd in protein synthesis like dr nortom because i find that the more I know the more I worry and raise my cortisol levels  :-X

Ignorance is bliss.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 02:07:54 PM »
I would want a phd in protein synthesis like dr nortom because i find that the more I know the more I worry and raise my cortisol levels  :-X

Ignorance is bliss.
once you reach the summit of bodybuilding scientific knowledge like layne there are no more questions and the brain actually reaches a point where it stops producing cortisol permanently

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 03:08:14 PM »
Edit:  meant to say would not want a phd...