Getbig Misc Discussion Boards > Religious Debates & Threads

Prayer and Religion in Public Life

<< < (3/195) > >>

OzmO:

--- Quote from: Colossus_500 on April 12, 2007, 12:33:36 PM ---Then why are there so many lawsuits like the one in New Mexico for city named after the "Three Crosses", or the military gravesite that has the cross on it?  Or how about the frivolous lawsuits all over the country being threatened if a building/city doesn't take down their cross, or the schools that have "Easter" or "Christmas" parties?  You can see where I might come up with the notion that they are out to do away with anything that has to do with Christianity.  Yes?

--- End quote ---

I certainly do, i can see that. 

Those are clearly a case of things going to far and are a big waste of time and money when there are clearly bigger fish to fry.

But they aren't intentionally trying to do away with anything "Christian"  they are just trying to keep organized religion out of government. If it was a school Passover party and someone protested the ACLU probably would get involved also.   

Are these law suits filled by the ACLU on behalf of a private party or are they filled by the ACLU solely or by a private party solely?

Decker:

--- Quote from: OzmO on April 12, 2007, 12:47:42 PM ---I certainly do, i can see that. 

Those are clearly a case of things going to far and are a big waste of time and money when there are clearly bigger fish to fry.

But they aren't intentionally trying to do away with anything "Christian"  they are just trying to keep organized religion out of government. If it was a school Passover party and someone protested the ACLU probably would get involved also.   

Are these law suits filled by the ACLU on behalf of a private party or are they filled by the ACLU solely or by a private party solely?

--- End quote ---
You write well.  Generally the ACLU writes an amicus brief (friend of the court) on someone else's behalf to make sure that a plaintiff's liberties are well represented.  The ACLU has been plaintiff in cases versus the Justice Department, NSA etc.

Colossus_500:

--- Quote from: OzmO on April 12, 2007, 12:47:42 PM ---I certainly do, i can see that. 

--- End quote ---
But don't you see how they are going after rights that have been set up for us as Americans?  Here are some questions that we are left with then:

"what should be the relationship between religion and public life?" Does the public expression of religious conviction necessarily infringe upon the religious liberty of another? Does the restriction of religious practice to the private sphere undermine free exercise? What degree of neutrality should our government observe?"

Colossus_500:

--- End quote ---
The lawsuits are generally filed on behalf of sub-agencies or local chapters of the ACLU. 

Dos Equis:

--- Quote from: Colossus_500 on April 12, 2007, 01:18:58 PM ---But don't you see how they are going after rights that have been set up for us as Americans?  Here are some questions that we are left with then:

"what should be the relationship between religion and public life?" Does the public expression of religious conviction necessarily infringe upon the religious liberty of another? Does the restriction of religious practice to the private sphere undermine free exercise? What degree of neutrality should our government observe?"

--- End quote ---

Good quote.  This is one of the problems  I have with the ACLU.  They are attempting to cleanse the public sector of all religious expression.  

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version