Getbig Main Boards > General Topics

Watches - info and discussion

<< < (7/7)

Agnostic007:

--- Quote from: mops on August 06, 2023, 09:48:33 AM ---Pre-owned market isn't doing great either

Bloomberg's Subdial 50 index.

This index is made up of the 50 most traded models on the pre-owned market. Together, they account for over 20% of total spend globally.

Calculations take into account the latest market price of each of the 50 models as well as their relative weighting based on sales value.

the 50 models in question :

--- End quote ---

If I read that right, my Rolex Submariner date is worth about $9K. Cool...

Agnostic007:

--- Quote from: mops on July 28, 2023, 10:06:23 PM ---Pre-ceramic submariners and GMTs are the best. They look like tool watches, and as the saying goes, use your tools, don't baby them.

The late 2000s introduction of the ceramic bezel marked a turning point for the brand.  Since then, Rolex has trended towards a sleeker, more polished look which I personally dislike.

Additionally, the unethical and outright despicable practices of Rolex Authorized Dealers pushed me further away from this brand.

--- End quote ---

Do you mean asking $700+ for a service?

mops:

--- Quote from: Agnostic007 on August 06, 2023, 09:24:09 PM ---Do you mean asking $700+ for a service?

--- End quote ---

Authorized Dealers have been playing dirty games for a long time now. Gamea of BS, snobery and market manipulation.

They simply refuse to sell watches to customers under the false pretext that the supply they get is very limited.

They will require you to visit one of their "showrooms" and personally make a registration of demand list against a "high demand" Rolex model.

If you have the right "profile" , buy other luxury items from them, buy their overpriced in-house insurance policies and, generaly speaking, kiss the sales clerk's behind, you will "increase" your chance to receive "the call" sooner rather than later.

It can take from several months to a year+ depending on the model.

Interestingly, the flippers never seems to have any problem purchasing 5 submariners from them every year. ::)

It is also a well known fact that they discreetly sell their production to the grey market at a premium. The watches are then sold to customers at RRP x2-x5 ( RRP = Recommended Retail Price)

At their showrooms, they always try to convince you their models are hard to get and what you are seing are exhibition models only. Yet, the gray market is literally flooded with them.

Rolex has also been complicit in hiding the stolen details of their watches. They aren't always returning stolen watches to their rightful owners....

Phantom Spunker:
I met up with one of my mates the other day to catch up. He's not really a watch guy but he had a nice Rolex on, and he confessed to basically being peer-pressured into buying it, haha. One of our more 'flash' mutual friends that he works with persuaded him to come to the Rolex dealership with him and put his name down on some waiting list. He was told that he'd likely be waiting around a year. 'Great', he thought. 'That gives me loads of time and I can get out of it'. About two weeks later they rung him up, informing him of how lucky he was that the particular model he liked was now in and he could come and collect it.

Wearing the Seamaster now on its SS bracelet. I must confess, I really don't like the feel of it. I'm used to a NATO, so it feels very bulky and just seems to get in my way. Needs another link taken out, I think. It is big but not comically so.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version