Author Topic: GLUTE/LOWER BODY TRAINING  (Read 353256 times)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
Re: GLUTE/LOWER BODY TRAINING
« Reply #300 on: February 02, 2008, 01:24:46 PM »
get as much as a stretch as u can get with keeping the natural arch in your spine. Once u lose that arch your risking injury.

What those guys are doing going all the way down to their toes is risking some serious lower lumbar injuries and torn hamstrings.

That's what I kinda figured.  People do some strange things in the gym.  I've had the lower lumbar injuries, so I'll pass.
Seems like the best way to stretch the hammies is sitting on the floor, without big weight.

:)

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #301 on: February 02, 2008, 02:13:39 PM »
Question about straight leg deadlifts...

I see people in my gym getting up on steps and boxes to do SLDLs, and extending the weight as far down as possible.  I'm not sure that this really does anything for the hams and glutes?  I guess the stretch is good and increases flexibility, but I always assumed that the best ROM for SLDLs was from just above the knee to about 2/3 of the way down the shin.  Any further than that and you are using more lower back than hammy and glute.   ???

I agree i see those people going so far down it makes me cringe!  I go to mid shin and try and really feel the pull from the hams and glutes.  I usually dont lock out at the top either and try and keep tension on the area being trained.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #302 on: February 11, 2008, 06:17:22 AM »
I did a full machine leg workout last night (I was at the satellite gym/studio, and they don't have alot of equipment)...did all Nautilus machines.

-4 sets leg press x 10
-5 sets leg extensions x 12
-9 sets calf raises x 15 (supersetted with leg extensions and seated hammy curl)
-4 sets seated hammy curl x 12
-3 sets outer thigh machine

Not my favorite kind of leg workout, but I'm hoping to get into the real gym later this week and do some heavy squatting and deadlifting.   8)

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #303 on: February 12, 2008, 06:15:04 PM »
I did a full machine leg workout last night (I was at the satellite gym/studio, and they don't have alot of equipment)...did all Nautilus machines.

-4 sets leg press x 10
-5 sets leg extensions x 12
-9 sets calf raises x 15 (supersetted with leg extensions and seated hammy curl)
-4 sets seated hammy curl x 12
-3 sets outer thigh machine

Not my favorite kind of leg workout, but I'm hoping to get into the real gym later this week and do some heavy squatting and deadlifting.   8)

Rip it sounds like you want to do some full PL events?  I think that sounds cool. The guy who founded the APF is local to my area Erine Frantz he has a gym about 30 mins. from me.  Never been there but might check it out one day.  They are having a big meet on march 9th not far from me I think I will check it out

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #304 on: February 13, 2008, 04:44:12 AM »
Rip it sounds like you want to do some full PL events?  I think that sounds cool. The guy who founded the APF is local to my area Erine Frantz he has a gym about 30 mins. from me.  Never been there but might check it out one day.  They are having a big meet on march 9th not far from me I think I will check it out

That's cool...seems like his gym could be pretty sweet...you should definitely check it out! 
The meet I am doing on Feb 23 is APF actually.  And then USPF on March 16 I think.

I'm interested in doing a full meet next year.  Not sure what fed I'll do though...probably whatever ones are around here with full meets.
I am NOT a good squatter, but that's OK, that gives me something to work on during the next off-season.  I'm already looking forward to the next off-season lol. 

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #305 on: February 13, 2008, 05:11:26 AM »

That's cool...seems like his gym could be pretty sweet...you should definitely check it out! 
The meet I am doing on Feb 23 is APF actually.  And then USPF on March 16 I think.

I'm interested in doing a full meet next year.  Not sure what fed I'll do though...probably whatever ones are around here with full meets.
I am NOT a good squatter, but that's OK, that gives me something to work on during the next off-season.  I'm already looking forward to the next off-season lol. 

Yeah PL does interest me, but I have a feeling it would kill me.  This body has taken a bunch of abuse already LOL and I think I would still wanna walk when I'm 60 LOL

I dont know that Frantz guy did an +800lb squat at 64  :o

Yeah offseason LOL  I dont know Rip I think I have found that I feel best when Im prepping for shows.  Weird huh?  But I think it has to do with the focused direction and goal.  Plus being in shape feels so much better.  I dont know it just feels like a huge buzz during BB prep.  Maybe its the excitement.

For some reason I cant be "fat and happy", fat yes, happy no LOL

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #306 on: February 13, 2008, 09:00:19 AM »
Yeah PL does interest me, but I have a feeling it would kill me.  This body has taken a bunch of abuse already LOL and I think I would still wanna walk when I'm 60 LOL

Yeah offseason LOL  I dont know Rip I think I have found that I feel best when Im prepping for shows.  Weird huh?  But I think it has to do with the focused direction and goal.  Plus being in shape feels so much better.  I dont know it just feels like a huge buzz during BB prep.  Maybe its the excitement.

I can totally relate to that.
This is the first year that I actually TRAINED for bench comps during the off-season and focused on PL.  I changed everything from the way I trained to the way I thought about training, and I learned a ton.  It's completely changed the way I look at the off-season now....and I think alot of that has to do with still having a focused direction and goal.  I'm actually loving it so much that I am considering getting more serious about it next year, after we see how things go with BB this year, of course.

I'm looking forward to learning how to squat and DL properly and see how good I can get at it.  It CAN take a toll on your body, but so far I have done pretty well (knocking on wood), as I have tried to train smartly and carefully so as to prevent injury.  I'm getting old too lol, but I am still hoping that my best years with PL are ahead of me.   8)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #307 on: February 15, 2008, 11:19:25 AM »
So I got my "Ideal Butt Move" email update from Oxygen magazine today.   ::)
I thought I would share it with you.  Looks like the ideal butt move, according to Oxygen, is a modified version of a one-legged squat.

Set Up: Stand on top of a step or bench with your hands on your hips and all your weight on your left foot. Your right foot should be off the step or bench.Contract your abs to stabilize your core. Action: Sit back on your left leg by bending your left knee. You will likely not be able to squat down very low. Keep your chest upright, your hips level and your knee in line with your toes. Stand up and repeat. Complete the set on your left leg, then switch sides. Do three sets of twelve reps total on each leg.

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #308 on: February 24, 2008, 04:58:20 PM »

crazy

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #309 on: March 03, 2008, 07:09:28 PM »
Did my legs today.  I have switched things up in my rotation and do legs on Monday now, lets me avoid national bench day Mondays at the gym.  No
body is training legs they are all training bench or arms on Monday LOL

Anyhow about 6 weeks ago I injured my low back and groin doing squat and hack squat supersets.  This kept me out of the gym all together for 3 weeks and from any real leg training for another month after that.  I trained legs pretty heavy last week but aggravated my groin injury doing so.  Well now I just have to hold back and train light as much as i hate to.

Well i figure if i cant train heavy now i will do some high rep stuff and hit my hams as hard as i can within reason.  So here is my sissy workout LOL.  I also decided to alternate between quads and hams too for this period.

Leg extensions-6 sets 12-20 reps
Standing leg curls-5 sets 12-15 reps
Leg press-worked up to 5 plates per side and did 30 reps.  Will admit that was pretty hard.
Hammer seated leg curls 4 sets 12-15
Hammer leg extension one leg at a time 4 sets 12-15
lying leg curls 4 sets 12-15 reps

I think I will be pretty sore from that one set on the leg press.  I so much wanted to satart piling plates on there but just had to hold back.

Live to train another day i guess.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #310 on: March 03, 2008, 07:17:48 PM »
That looks pretty damn good to me Luv, given the situation.  I'm just glad to see you back in the gym and doing leg work at all.  You'll be back to where you were in no time.   :)

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #311 on: March 04, 2008, 04:22:01 AM »
Thanks guys it did feel good.  Just wish i could have gone heavier on the leg press, but gotta do what i gotta do.  Will be interesting to see what this type training will do for me.

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #312 on: March 04, 2008, 02:20:53 PM »
That's a pretty hardcore workout luv.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #313 on: March 05, 2008, 03:56:59 AM »
I did legs last night for the first time in over 2 weeks, I think.  It's been really hard to keep up with workouts for everything else when I have been focusing on the bench press.  I'm only doing chest twice a week, but I am always trying not to make anything else sore in preparation for those workouts...so I try to rest at least one day before each and not train too terribly heavy in two days before...which leaves me with very few days in the week left to hit it hard.

With the bench meet two weekends ago and the Arnold last weekend, I didn't have a chance to train legs at all.  I went pretty light last night so as not to cripple myself for the entire week.   ::)

-SQUATS (pretty deep, at least for me) - bar for 20, 95 pounds for 20, 3 sets 155 pounds for 10
-DEADS - 95 for 15, 3 sets 135 for 12
-HACKS - 1 set 150 pounds x 10 before and after my leg extensions
-LEG EXTENSIONS - Hammer Strength Machine, 100 pounds loaded on - 4 sets x 12
-LYING HAMMY CURLS - 3 sets x 12
I finished off with a few sets of unweighted calf raises.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #314 on: March 05, 2008, 04:42:03 AM »
I did legs last night for the first time in over 2 weeks, I think.  It's been really hard to keep up with workouts for everything else when I have been focusing on the bench press.  I'm only doing chest twice a week, but I am always trying not to make anything else sore in preparation for those workouts...so I try to rest at least one day before each and not train too terribly heavy in two days before...which leaves me with very few days in the week left to hit it hard.

With the bench meet two weekends ago and the Arnold last weekend, I didn't have a chance to train legs at all.  I went pretty light last night so as not to cripple myself for the entire week.   ::)

-SQUATS (pretty deep, at least for me) - bar for 20, 95 pounds for 20, 3 sets 155 pounds for 10
-DEADS - 95 for 15, 3 sets 135 for 12
-HACKS - 1 set 150 pounds x 10 before and after my leg extensions
-LEG EXTENSIONS - Hammer Strength Machine, 100 pounds loaded on - 4 sets x 12
-LYING HAMMY CURLS - 3 sets x 12
I finished off with a few sets of unweighted calf raises.

Still thats pretty good you will be nice and sore anyhow im sure, cause you have not done them in a while.

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #315 on: March 05, 2008, 04:51:04 PM »
i did legs last night as well.

My gym was fucking packed to the max so i had to improvise and do some stuff i usually dont do.

-Plate loaded machine squat 3x6-10 from (4 to 6 plates per side)
-Standing Leg Curls 3x4-8 (50-70lbs)
-BB Squats 3x12-15 (225 for all sets)
-DB SLDL 3x12-15 (70's, 80's 90's)
-Leg Extension 3x15-25 ( 100-150)
-Calves Super set Seated and Standing Calves 2x failure each.

I did some abs and went home. Everything was very heavy for that rep range, and warmups are not counted. I did one or 2 warmups per exercise. no more than 90 seconds rest between sets.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #316 on: March 05, 2008, 05:06:34 PM »
i did legs last night as well.

My gym was fucking packed to the max so i had to improvise and do some stuff i usually dont do.

-Plate loaded machine squat 3x6-10 from (4 to 6 plates per side)
-Standing Leg Curls 3x4-8 (50-70lbs)
-BB Squats 3x12-15 (225 for all sets)
-DB SLDL 3x12-15 (70's, 80's 90's)
-Leg Extension 3x15-25 ( 100-150)
-Calves Super set Seated and Standing Calves 2x failure each.

I did some abs and went home. Everything was very heavy for that rep range, and warmups are not counted. I did one or 2 warmups per exercise. no more than 90 seconds rest between sets.

Cool man I see you alternated quads and hams?

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #317 on: March 05, 2008, 05:53:41 PM »
Cool man I see you alternated quads and hams?

yea i usually do. Plus my knee and lower back was bothering me yesterday, and that was the easiest on my body.

But 9 out of 10 times i alternate em. Allows me to use more weight and move at a faster pace.

I dont like spending much time at the gym, so that  helps.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #318 on: March 06, 2008, 04:31:36 AM »
How much time are your workouts taking, flex?

Btw, I'm sore but not ridiculously crippled...my hammies and lower back are pretty fried though.   :P

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #319 on: March 06, 2008, 02:55:54 PM »
I go about 45-55 minutes never over an hour 4 days a week. I like to move at a fast pace though. never taking over 90 seconds between sets.

I know you can tell this works, since im such a mass monster :)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #320 on: March 07, 2008, 03:49:26 AM »
I go about 45-55 minutes never over an hour 4 days a week. I like to move at a fast pace though. never taking over 90 seconds between sets.

I know you can tell this works, since im such a mass monster :)

Indeed....great genetics!   ;)

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #321 on: March 07, 2008, 06:41:43 AM »

Indeed....great genetics!   ;)

???
Where are the latest pics of your buttocks?
!

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #322 on: March 07, 2008, 08:38:09 AM »
???
Where are the latest pics of your buttocks?

Not many recent pics available.  I'm off-season and shy with the booty shots.   :-[
Special Ed did a video interview at the Arnold that has some interesting footage, but I am not sure where it is right now. 

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #323 on: March 07, 2008, 11:46:32 AM »
traini legs is boring sometimes.

Alex A

• Competitors
  • Getbig II
  • Alex Azarian
« Reply #324 on: March 07, 2008, 05:23:49 PM »
hi girls, I just found this section on getbig and I have to say.

You girls are hardcore and im learning stuff from you!

I hope you dont mind me trolling around here and throwing out my two cents now and then.

I hope you dont mind me posting the glute shots girls. 
www.prepbyalex.com
national contender