Author Topic: Jeff Lacy Apparently Next For Jermain Taylor  (Read 793 times)

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
Jeff Lacy Apparently Next For Jermain Taylor
« on: September 24, 2008, 08:40:40 AM »
The following is off the AP Newswire:

Lacy apparently next for Taylor

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP)��"Jermain Taylor appears headed for a November fight with former IBF super middleweight champion Jeff Lacy.

“There’s not any official announcement yet, but that’s what’s going to happen,” Lou DiBella, Taylor’s promoter, told The Associated Press on Thursday.

The fight is likely to take place Nov. 15. The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette reported details of the super middleweight fight in Thursday morning’s edition.

Taylor was the middleweight champion for more than two years after beating Bernard Hopkins in 2005. He lost that title to Kelly Pavlik late last year, then lost a catch-weight rematch with Pavlik in February.

Lacy, who lost his title to Joe Calzaghe in 2006, rallied over the final two rounds to beat Epifanio Mendoza in a 10-round majority decision Wednesday night.

Taylor (27-2-1) and Lacy (24-1) were teammates on the U.S. Olympic team in 2000.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
Re: Jeff Lacy Apparently Next For Jermain Taylor
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 08:58:00 AM »
Should be a pretty intresting matchup... Where is Taylors mind at? I just don't think he is finished yet, as some have speculated. While losing that last unanimous decision to Pavlik he at least stood in there and got some good shots in (Alot more than Gary Lockett can say!!)

I still think Lacy is the much bigger puncher in this match-up. I would guess that he would be the favorite, I mean his only loss is to an undefeated Joe Calzaghe. I really am looking forward to this one.

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 09:09:46 AM »
Should be a pretty intresting matchup... Where is Taylors mind at? I just don't think he is finished yet, as some have speculated. While losing that last unanimous decision to Pavlik he at least stood in there and got some good shots in (Alot more than Gary Lockett can say!!)

I still think Lacy is the much bigger puncher in this match-up. I would guess that he would be the favorite, I mean his only loss is to an undefeated Joe Calzaghe. I really am looking forward to this one.

My money on is on a Lacey KO in the 5th round. If it goes to the later rounds and Jermain comes in focused I think it will be in his favor.

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 09:39:54 AM »
Jeff Lacey hasn't been the same since his reconstructive shoulder surgery, I believe it was his left shoulder and his nickname is "left hook" Lacey.  His power in that hand is gone for sure.  I know he was pondering retirement because of the small amount of money they had originally offered him to fight Jermain.  I guess they came to  more reasonable agreement.  This would be Jermains first official super middleweight fight, I see Jermain outboxing Jeff in a 12 round decision.
Predictions
 40/61

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 10:25:35 AM »
Jeff Lacey hasn't been the same since his reconstructive shoulder surgery, I believe it was his left shoulder and his nickname is "left hook" Lacey.  His power in that hand is gone for sure.  I know he was pondering retirement because of the small amount of money they had originally offered him to fight Jermain.  I guess they came to  more reasonable agreement.  This would be Jermains first official super middleweight fight, I see Jermain outboxing Jeff in a 12 round decision.
Yeah, I guess alot of it is going to come from how well Lacy has come back from the shoulder surgery. He is only 31 years old, so perhaps with a good solid win and couple with Calzaghes apparent iminent retirement, that could catapult him to the top of the supermiddle weight rankings.... Lacy - Kesler, anyone?

Jermain is still a young guy and I see him in two places (A.) Very mentally damaged after suffering two straight defeats to Pavlik. or (B.) Ready to come to the ring extra motivated to prove he still has the skills to compete at a high level, (cause if he doesn't he better get used to ESPN cards).

Where does Jermain go with a decisive win? Keep the bulk at super? or go back down to middle? Will cutting weight to middle become an issue with him at some point?

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 12:50:32 PM »
If jermain fights with the exact same intensity he fought pav in both fights...he will stop Lacy in 10 TKO or corner stoppage easy.

Lacy is done..has been done since Joe demolished that a$$..not to mention his shoulder has expired. Probably doesn't hit half as hard as he did before.

....the problem is jermain himself can easily DERAIL a fight by fighting a completely different fight other than what he was told to do and trained 3 months to carry out just like that.

I remember during the hopkins fight in between rounds Manny Stewart was so pi$$ed at jermain for not listening he told him "I don't know what else to tell you man" and just left jermain on the stool for the last 20-30 seconds during the break.

hard head makes a soft a$$

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 02:28:28 PM »
as far as 168 goes I'm a hell of a lot more intertested in Bute/Andrade than seeing a washed up lacy burn out after 4 or 5 rounds and hang on for a decision loss....

Andrade's pretty fun to watch...