Author Topic: i'm going to be 45 and i still don't have a real career?!  (Read 187524 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Re: i'm going to be 45 and i still don't have a real career?!
« Reply #150 on: May 09, 2021, 07:57:03 AM »
If life was expensive 11 years ago, imagine now... Weird direction this world is moving on to.

"i fucked around for alot of years, dropping out of school…"
+

"that sucks! so i dropped out!..."
+

"i like my personal freedom and individuality too much to have a normal 9 to 5 job…"
+

56 years old

=

FUBAR  :'(

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #151 on: May 09, 2021, 09:24:27 AM »
He might never become rich but he could still easily turn things around.  All you need is a paid off house, good health and a handful of cash when you retire.  If he's a ladies man he could even find a woman to marry who is financially set.  He COULD do it but it's unlikely that he WILL do it based on his past so far.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #152 on: May 09, 2021, 09:36:52 AM »
He might never become rich but he could still easily turn things around.  All you need is a paid off house, good health and a handful of cash when you retire.  If he's a ladies man he could even find a woman to marry who is financially set.  He COULD do it but it's unlikely that he WILL do it based on his past so far.

Based on his previous posts we know a few things: he does not own a house, condo, or townhouse; he has $30k in student loans that he is trying to pay off; he does not have any retirement funds or investments to speak of; he is gay so the ladies man option is off the table; his physique is average at best.  The last time he mentioned his living situation he had moved in with his younger brother to avoid homelessness.

Granted that was all several years ago but back then he was not on an upward trajectory--he was circling a drain.  I hope he managed to turn this around, but the best predictor of future behavior is past performance... so... I am not sanguine.  :'(

Paid off houses do not come "easily."  At this point I would be surprised if he could come up with 20% to put down on a place.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #153 on: May 09, 2021, 09:41:57 AM »
Based on his previous posts we know a few things: he does not own a house, condo, or townhouse; he has $30k student loans that he is trying to pay off; he does not have any retirement funds or investments to speak of; he is gay so the ladies man option is off the table; his physique is average at best.  The last time he mentioned his living situation he had moved in with his younger brother to avoid homelessness.

Granted that was all several years ago but back then he was not on an upward trajectory--he was circling a drain.  I hope he managed to turn this around, but the best predictor of future behavior is past performance... so... I am not sanguine.  :'(

Paid off houses do not come "easily."  At this point I would be surprised if he could come up with 20% to put down on a place.
I agree it isn't likely that he will turn it around, just saying it is possible but will take effort, something he hasn't exhibited much in the past.  Even a job at WalMart could turn his life around.  I have a buddy in California who bought a house in a desert town for $12,000.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #154 on: May 09, 2021, 10:10:27 AM »
I agree it isn't likely that he will turn it around, just saying it is possible but will take effort, something he hasn't exhibited much in the past.  Even a job at WalMart could turn his life around.  I have a buddy in California who bought a house in a desert town for $12,000.

WalMart?  Desert Town?  That's a far cry from his stated goal of San Diego or Orange County, CA.   :'(

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #155 on: May 09, 2021, 10:11:35 AM »
WalMart?  Desert Town?  That's a far cry from his stated goal of San Diego or Orange County, CA.   :'(
He will have to move.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #156 on: December 12, 2021, 07:26:40 AM »
 ::)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #157 on: November 27, 2022, 05:15:58 AM »
According to my math the OP, Tom, is now 58.  How is he doing?  Paid off his student loans?  Good job?  Homeowner?  Retirement savings?  In good shape? ???

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
« Reply #158 on: November 27, 2022, 06:51:11 AM »
According to my math the OP, Tom, is now 58.  How is he doing?  Paid off his student loans?  Good job?  Homeowner?  Retirement savings?  In good shape? ???

Bought crypto at the bottom and cashed out at the top, now living in a seaside villa in the Carribean.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #159 on: November 28, 2022, 12:38:13 AM »
Bought crypto at the bottom and cashed out at the top, now living in a seaside villa in the Carribean.
What did he buy the crypto with? ;D

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
« Reply #160 on: November 28, 2022, 05:14:49 AM »
What did he buy the crypto with? ;D

Found coins in a public fountain.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #161 on: November 29, 2022, 12:46:25 AM »
Found coins in a public fountain.
Probably.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #162 on: December 10, 2022, 05:47:14 AM »
Time is the one thing you can never recover… as Tom has learned this the hard way.  Those 13 years he wasted derailed his educational and professional life in a way that severely limited his life options. 

If he had it to do all over again, I wonder what he would do differently.  What lessons has he learned? ??? :'(

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #163 on: December 11, 2022, 01:39:16 AM »
Time is the one thing you can never recover… as Tom has learned this the hard way.  Those 13 years he wasted derailed his educational and professional life in a way that severely limited his life options. 

If he had it to do all over again, I wonder what’s he would do differently.  What lessons has he learned? ??? :'(
Most of success in life is based on what you don't do. He didn't get married or have kids which is the equivalent to millionaire wealth.A single man can live well on very little. Being happy and content is true success.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #164 on: December 11, 2022, 02:15:14 AM »
Most of success in life is based on what you don't do. He didn't get married or have kids which is the equivalent to millionaire wealth.A single man can live well on very little. Being happy and content is true success.

He is unmarried and childless but happy and content was not the life Tom described.  He was effectively homeless and living with his younger brother to keep a roof over his head.  Working part time at a rec center and his future prospects were dim.  Had that been his lot at 25 we could have a different take on his future but being in that situation in your 50s doesn’t leave much room for optimism. :-\

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #165 on: December 12, 2022, 01:08:41 AM »

He is unmarried and childless but happy and content was not the life Tom described.  He was effectively homeless and living with his younger brother to keep a roof over his head.  Working part time at a rec center and his future prospects were dim.  Had that been his lot at 25 we could have a different take on his future but being in that situation in your 50s doesn’t leave much room for optimism. :-\
Yeah, but as a single man simply getting employed at WalMart would turn his life around.