Author Topic: 5 Round Non-Title Fights - Thoughts?  (Read 1483 times)

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
5 Round Non-Title Fights - Thoughts?
« on: May 15, 2011, 02:33:07 PM »
I was watching ESPN MMA & Zuffa have announced that the 5 round non-title fights are to be introduced within the near future, what are your thoughts on this?

Personally i like the idea, but only in main event for a major card, i.e. #1 contender fight. Gil Melendez is dead against it unless the championship fights are amended, & the only way i could see that being done is if title fights are put to 3 * 10 mins.

Geo

• Getbig IV
Re: 5 Round Non-Title Fights - Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 03:05:35 PM »

Personally i like the idea, but only in main event for a major card, i.e. #1 contender fight.

that's what I was thinking,for title eliminators yes....

if or when it happens, I don't see it changing much other than slightly slowing down the pace of a close fight in the 3rd round as fighters start to concern themselves with saving a little gas for the second half of the fight.

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 08:48:10 AM »
I don't like this idea at all. 

A lot of fights go to decision... which means they were generally snooze-fests.  3 rounds is long enough imo.

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 10:50:59 AM »
Jake Shields wants to fight B.J. Penn in a 5 round fight........yawn.  It favors the "blanket" type fighters, 90% of the time we'd be seeing snoozers.
Predictions
 40/61

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 08:15:46 PM »
The age of the boring one dimensional grapplers shall soon be upon us once again.

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 08:02:47 PM »
Jake Shields wants to fight B.J. Penn in a 5 round fight........yawn.  It favors the "blanket" type fighters, 90% of the time we'd be seeing snoozers.

x2

jedibrat

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 12:45:24 AM »
Better would be let the audience vote the number of rounds. Roy Nelson = 20 rounds (needs the cardio), GSP = 1 /2 round (win on points then apologizes for boring fight)