Author Topic: The 15 minute city - live in 2024  (Read 2001 times)

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
Re: The 15 minute city - live in 2024
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2022, 11:04:12 AM »
so there will be black people living their as well...gotcha

Probably be all blacks and poor folks in slums like the high-rises built for low income in the 1960/70s in the Bronx.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2022, 12:25:55 PM »
Check this out...

Mayday

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2022, 12:41:52 PM »
I can’t see how they are going to make it work in Australia because it’s a huge country and it’s very spread out.

Take a look at where the infrastructure investment is happening. It’s regional.

Govts are building new city layouts from scratch with a blank canvas. I have everything I need here already within a 7 minute drive and the facilities are all brand new. We already have funding for electric scooter pathway system.

The limit on movement is only between zones within Oxford. And it's not 24 hours a day, it's 7am to 7pm.

Will be interesting to see how it goes.

Will be interesting to see how long that stays in place. The initial steps look overly generous to what the goals actually are. Zero net emissions is crazy far away from today, that requires a larger decrease in consumption than people expect.

In saying that the leaving is tracked car car number plates so you could still take an escooter or ebike outside your area.

Flexacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2022, 01:27:34 PM »
I already have everything within walking distance. I probably take it for granted, but everyone who visits always tells me how lucky I am.

In saying that the leaving is tracked car car number plates so you could still take an escooter or ebike outside your area.

You have to pay for the privilege here. It's called the congestion charge.

residue

• Getbig V
  • Adonis 3:16
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2022, 03:17:13 PM »
what about people who work in construction?
Where are they going to work once everythings built?

Time will stand still obviously

Mayday

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2022, 04:12:50 PM »
I already have everything within walking distance. I probably take it for granted, but everyone who visits always tells me how lucky I am.

You have to pay for the privilege here. It's called the congestion charge.

And fair enough to pay congestion tax because CBD is gridlocked. I used to love school holidays as you would get weeks of hassle free driving to/from work.

Despite work from home mentality, so many people are still driving around during the day traffic is getting back to some insane levels. They’re all going for coffee, gym, shopping, not actually at home working……

The allocation of 100 days is a person. Apparently if you have 2 cars you get 50 trips in each car. If you have 3 cars it’s 33 trips per car. You can’t do 100 trips all in the one car (this is what I understand). Going to be interesting if that changes to allocating one vehicle for trips outside the area. They want to eliminate car ownership so i would imagine first clamping down on owning multiple cars is the first step……

Any words in the UK about Diesel? I have a Diesel car and I’m pondering if I’m about to get myself wrecked or not. I want to move to petrol but perhaps I’m overreacting?

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2022, 04:24:45 PM »
It all sounds very gay to me

Flexacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2022, 04:56:18 PM »
And fair enough to pay congestion tax because CBD is gridlocked. I used to love school holidays as you would get weeks of hassle free driving to/from work.

Despite work from home mentality, so many people are still driving around during the day traffic is getting back to some insane levels. They’re all going for coffee, gym, shopping, not actually at home working……

The allocation of 100 days is a person. Apparently if you have 2 cars you get 50 trips in each car. If you have 3 cars it’s 33 trips per car. You can’t do 100 trips all in the one car (this is what I understand). Going to be interesting if that changes to allocating one vehicle for trips outside the area. They want to eliminate car ownership so i would imagine first clamping down on owning multiple cars is the first step……

Any words in the UK about Diesel? I have a Diesel car and I’m pondering if I’m about to get myself wrecked or not. I want to move to petrol but perhaps I’m overreacting?
New petrol and diesel car sales are due to stop in 2030.

London implemented an Ultra-low Emission Zone (ULEZ) to try faze out older diesel vehicles. Basically more  compulsory charges. They are also looking to ban all petrol and diesel cars in the city soon, maybe as early as 2025.

Lartinos

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2022, 06:55:28 PM »
Eventually the communes will be built.

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2022, 07:43:00 PM »
Forging the links to your own chains.

Slaves in all but name.

Well done.