Author Topic: Old BBers and Injuries  (Read 1026 times)

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
Old BBers and Injuries
« on: May 07, 2021, 09:25:49 AM »
Weird question, but how many BBers of the past have had severe gym related injuries?  Torn pecs, bis, tris, etc..   I know Bannout had a torn tricep, but that was from a motorcycle accident.  Likewise with Franco injuring his leg, but that was not from training.

Seems like BBers today are more injury prone than their predecessors.  I guess a case could be made for the more moderate training style people followed back then as opposed to the HIT and DC methods today. 

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
Re: Old BBers and Injuries
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2021, 09:38:43 AM »
It's the drugs and that people load heavier today. I mean you had Arnold doing maybe 4 plate squats at the heaviest, didn't Ed Corney use 315 in PI? :D A pro bb only capable of 315 squats is unheard of today.

If you did Arnold's monster routines on today's drugs you'd be a cripple before long. :D

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2021, 09:59:14 AM »
Yep, guys lift way too heavy today for bodybuilding purposes.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2021, 10:01:27 AM »
You never heard of bb tearing pecs, etc. decades ago.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2021, 10:14:42 AM »
You never heard of bb tearing pecs, etc. decades ago.
And definitely not quads.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2021, 10:29:29 AM »
Bicep tears seem to be the most common across both naturals / light users and heavier drug users. That's the only tear that seems universal.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2021, 10:43:18 AM »
Bicep tears seem to be the most common across both naturals / light users and heavier drug users. That's the only tear that seems universal.
Yup....usually from deadlifts or preacher curls with sloppy form.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2021, 11:08:36 AM »

Distal bicep tears are fairly common in nonlifters as well. The average age they occur: 36. I'm not sure but my guess is this is the most common muscle tear.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2021, 11:15:09 AM »
It seems the trend towards using heavier weights and lower reps has increased the number of injuries in the gym.   Not necessarily in the bigger guys on tons of shit, but even the average guys seem to have seen an increase in injuries as well.

residue

• Getbig V
  • Adonis 3:16
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2021, 11:17:47 AM »
It seems the trend towards using heavier weights and lower reps has increased the number of injuries in the gym.   Not necessarily in the bigger guys on tons of shit, but even the average guys seem to have seen an increase in injuries as well.

it's larry wheels and bumstead, all the high school kids at the gym i train at talk about those 2 and their youtube vids constantly

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2021, 03:06:27 PM »
yeah Id agree that it's the rep ranges in combination with the drugs... guys in the 70's 80's and even 90's rarely went below 6 reps

now everyone wants to be strong and show off their big lifts on social media...

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2021, 03:06:44 PM »
In an interview some days ago Tom Prince said his joints are very worn out. He regrets using heavy weights/low reps.

thelamefalsehood

• Getbig IV
  • I love lamp
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2021, 03:13:42 PM »
30 years lifting weights. I have under my belt a left distal bicep rupture on left arm(had it reattached), upper bicep tear on same arm 6 weeks ago(I just left that one as is), 2 separate cervical fusions, C3-C7 fused. Then normal knee wear and elbow pains. Most injuries came from lifting too heavy over many months and then years and I think dehydration was a big reason too. [/tt]

US MUSL

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2021, 04:04:05 PM »
I had a complete bicep tendon rupture at the shoulder last October. Had the tendon reattached and rotator cuff repaired at the same time. It was a tough rehab/recovery.

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2021, 06:38:43 PM »
It's from bad form, too heavy lifting and overuse. Combined with AAS it just makes it easier for this to happen.

I'm not that old, but i've ruptured quite a few muscle fibers in by biceps, triceps and lats over the years. I think mine was more from over loading the muscle with heavy weights and a deep stretch when not properly warmed up.

When i used to go really heavy on tricep extensions i would feel a burning sensation and wake up the next day with a black/blue/purple golf ball sized knot on my lateral head of my tris. This happen at least a dozen times. Doc said it was from ruptured muscle fibers.

Same thing with biceps and lats but not as frequently.

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2021, 09:34:56 PM »
Distal bicep tears are fairly common in nonlifters as well. The average age they occur: 36. I'm not sure but my guess is this is the most common muscle tear.

^^
I got injured where the deltoid/biceps meet doing Arnold presses using 70lb dumbells back when I was 40... half my arm was black from bruising!

Automation

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2021, 10:26:51 PM »
Ain’t nobody got time for being injured! Still, we’ve all been there. Past 40 I’ve become much more aware of the threat of injury and focus more on maintenance. I use light weights, just dumbbells and body weight stuff, no squats, more cardio & stretching.

I’m also much more tuned in as to when to stop training if I feel like I may be at risk from injury. Kind of like a sixth sense, like knowing when to ignore your endorphins telling you to go for another set, or push it some more.

Zillotch

• Getbig V
  • the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2021, 11:13:02 PM »
light weight, low reps – worked for vince taylor (who ironically tore his bicep using light weights)

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2021, 06:36:30 AM »
In an interview some days ago Tom Prince said his joints are very worn out. He regrets using heavy weights/low reps.

What's he doing giving interviews now?  As if he is relevant.