Author Topic: not that anyone on here would even care.  (Read 874 times)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
not that anyone on here would even care.
« on: July 31, 2021, 06:44:14 AM »
MAURUS 4TH PLACE FINISH BEST OLYMPIC TOTAL SINCE 1988
July 31, 2021, 7:53 a.m. (ET)

TOKYO, Japan (July 31, 2021) -- Harrison Maurus has the best finish for an American man in the Olympic Games in 33 years, coming in fourth place in the 81kg category in his Olympic debut on Saturday at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020. Mario Martinez was the last American to come as close to the podium in 1988; Martinez is also the last U.S. man to medal, which he did in 1984.

Maurus looked strong in the Snatch portion of the competition, making all three of his attempts, including a personal best of 161kg on his third; it was a number he’d recently hit in training, and knew he could pull off on the Olympic platform. His previous best competition Snatch was 158kg.

Going into the Clean and Jerk portion of the competition, Maurus sat in eighth place, but has always been confident and consistent in the lift. He made his opening Clean and Jerk attempt of 195kg before matching his current American Record in the lift at 200kg on his second.

“It was just the perfect storm. Everything came together great and they were numbers we were really confident in and it worked,” said Maurus.

Maurus went for 205kg on his last Clean and Jerk attempt, the number that would have put him in  bronze medal position, but missed. His 361kg total is a new American Record, besting his previous record of 357kg set at the 2018 World Championships in Turkmenistan.

“Being on the Olympic stage changed everything,” Maurus told USA Weightlifting. “That I felt great out there. It was probably one of my most consistent meets I’ve had, ever.”

The 21-year-old Auburn, Washington  native has trained for the last half of this quad with Spencer Arnold of Power and Grace Performance in Atlanta Georgia. He told USA Weightlifting, joining the team there gave him the motivation he needed to keep up the rigors of training for the Games through a pandemic.

“Spencer and I have worked really hard to make sure we’re in a good position where we can fight like this. Mike and Pyrros are obviously excellent in the back, and they’ve managed it as best they could. There’s nothing I think they could’ve done better, at all.”

Maurus’ biggest supporters joined USA Weightlifting’s Tokyo Strong camp in Hawaii, where they cheered him on from as close as they could get to Tokyo due to Japan’s strict COVID-19 restrictions.

“It wasn’t too terrifying,” said Maurus’ father, Jim Maurus of watching his son on the Olympic stage. “We’ve had edge-of-the-seat moments before, but this was actually the pinnacle and he didn’t have to win to move on.”

Team USA weightlifting’s Kate Nye (76kg, 2019 World Champion) will take the Tokyo 2020 platform tomorrow at 7:50 p.m. (6:50 a.m. ET), followed by teammates Mattie Rogers (87kg), Sarah Robles (+87kg, 2016 Olympic Bronze Medalist; 2017 World Champion), Wes Kitts (109kg) and Caine Wilkes (+109kg).     ;D ;D ;D ;D
F

Taffin

• Getbig V
  • Training out my gay penor...
Re: not that anyone on here would even care.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2021, 06:55:06 AM »
 8)
T

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2021, 07:00:35 AM »
8)
Q

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2021, 09:02:04 AM »
I remember the highest finish in recent times was Lee James when he won the silver in  1976.

Body-Buildah

• Getbig V
  • Creepy Joe Touches Kids
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2021, 09:10:17 AM »
Excellent news. The one decent thing that came out of CrosShit is a bit of a resurgence for Olympic lifting.

Good to see...

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2021, 10:31:21 AM »
I saw Bob Bednarski in the unemployment office in Springfield Mass. back in the 70`s..........looked like hell and had a pint of booze in his back pocket.

True story.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2021, 11:05:27 AM »
I saw Bob Bednarski in the unemployment office in Springfield Mass. back in the 70`s..........looked like hell and had a pint of booze in his back pocket.

True story.

https://neckberg.com/bob-bednarski-weightlifting-legend/
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2021, 11:06:31 AM »
I think bob had a brother who was a weightlifter too. can't recall his name though.
F

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2021, 11:12:36 AM »
I think bob had a brother who was a weightlifter too. can't recall his name though.

He did, the other lifting Bednarski was Gary Bednarski.

Also, that is a great weight set, always liked this series of pictures -

Edit :-\ - https://www.newportri.com/article/20140124/OBITUARIES/301249887 .

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2021, 11:40:14 AM »
He did, the other lifting Bednarski was Gary Bednarski.

Also, that is a great weight set, always liked this series of pictures -

Edit :-\ - https://www.newportri.com/article/20140124/OBITUARIES/301249887 .
   the gripper
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
F

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2021, 12:38:58 PM »
There was a young American black kid Oly lifter who was in the news awhile back.

Did he make the Olympics?

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2021, 12:40:48 PM »

True story.

Wow. That's sad.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2021, 01:44:09 PM »
There was a young American black kid Oly lifter who was in the news awhile back.

Did he make the Olympics?

C J Cummings, he finished 9th in the 73kg class. He's young at 21, so he could have a 2 or 3 more Olympics in him -

(Click "watch on Youtube", it works.)

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2021, 11:24:41 PM »
WOW!!

I haven`t thought of Phil Gripaldi in decades..........great lifter.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2021, 11:30:54 PM »
Wow. That's sad.
I thought so too........I hope he got it back together

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2021, 05:28:39 AM »
WOW!!

I haven`t thought of Phil Gripaldi in decades..........great lifter.

Wasn't he in prison for long time?  He had an incredible physique.  Back in the day I talked to girl that dated him. She said his whole life revolved around training. Said he was always in sweat pants.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2021, 05:53:36 AM »
Wasn't he in prison for long time?  He had an incredible physique.  Back in the day I talked to girl that dated him. She said his whole life revolved around training. Said he was always in sweat pants.

I have no idea Rich.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2021, 09:20:27 AM »

I have no idea Rich.

I looked it up 10 year bid for dealing drugs.  His highest placing in the World championship was second.  He was built. Amazing arms.  Back then I remember the lifting routines of top American lifters and they all did bodybuilding exercises along with Olympic lifting. Champ lifters of today don't do this. Maybe that's why the world records are so high now.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2021, 09:36:15 AM »
I looked it up 10 year bid for dealing drugs.  His highest placing in the World championship was second.  He was built. Amazing arms.  Back then I remember the lifting routines of top American lifters and they all did bodybuilding exercises along with Olympic lifting. Champ lifters of today don't do this. Maybe that's why the world records are so high now.

grippaldi is doing pretty good now
F

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2021, 10:18:15 AM »
Wow, 10 years, that` fucked up........I had no clue. and yes he had huge fucking arms that would rival some good bodybuilders of that day.