Author Topic: Condo for sale?  (Read 11427 times)

IRON CROSS

• Getbig V
Re: Condo for sale?
« Reply #75 on: June 28, 2021, 04:56:25 PM »

The builder died back in 2014.

Still no 3 storeys mad huts in Naurobi, Kenya !.

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #76 on: June 28, 2021, 04:59:48 PM »
OVERLOAD, Two final questions for ya!

Is there a preferred computer app that can design a high rise apartment tower and then calculate the individual cost of everything item by item required within the construction of that tower .... to include doorknobs, windows, tubs, sinks, toilet, etc., etc.?

What are the estimated life-spans of high rise structures? Are the built to last forever?

Thanks, Over.

PS.... Thanks, Gregz! According to one San Franciscan .... They are presently working to correct the Millennium Tower situation

Most companies use Revit, for design purposes. Structural engineers all have their own preference on design software. Revit just ties it all together with the Architectural aspects, mechanical, electrical and plumbing, to ensure it all fits together and is used for cost estimating and construction feasibility. Every fixture is taken in account, it's used all over the world.

Most engineers i know use ETABS, SkyCiv or STAAD for the actual modeling and design. I always used STAAD because it's a required method for most bridge designs for government owned highways. I specialize in bridge and foundation design, have a good steel structure design background too, but i haven't done it in 15 years.

Nothing can last forever. The standard life span for a tall structure is 50 years. You can increase this with maintenance and structural reinforcements, but generally that is the case.

Nothing built by man will last too long, we use minimal materials and methods of construction. Basically, everything is "just good enough" and not necessary "robust". If we had an unlimited budget, of course we could make things last a few hundred years. All of our known design methods would have to change, but it is possible.

All buildings require scheduled maintenance and possible need of reinforcements along their lifespan, this is normal.

Again, everything is dynamic, it depends on the weather, soil type, construction type and height. Not all structures are built the same.

A small 3 story building with a solid foundation can easily last 200 years or more. As you get taller, things change, but it depends on how it's built and what it's built out of.

Reinforced concrete cracks and fails over time, but it's relatively cheap compared to steel frame. Steel will last much longer under all circumstances, but the increase in cost is insane. Most buildings are not cost effective when using steel, but the taller buildings do require it.

IRON CROSS

• Getbig V
« Reply #77 on: June 28, 2021, 05:02:43 PM »

Ancient walls of Dubrovnik still stands ............. :)

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #78 on: June 28, 2021, 05:05:06 PM »

Nothing can last forever. The standard life span for a tall structure is 50 years. You can increase this with maintenance and structural reinforcements, but generally that is the case.

Maybe we should start using Greek and Roman building methods haha

yes- I know it's not a high rise, but....

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: June 28, 2021, 05:07:29 PM »

Would you say that this was a Brutalist building?

Is corroded rebar an inherent hazard in Brutalist building in general?

It's not a brutalist.

A building with intentionally exposed areas will have extra reinforcing in other areas. Also it will be inspected regularly to ensure it does not deteriorate too quickly.

I worked on a "brutalist" type building about 12 years ago, it's not that much different, just more exposed and they don't spend money on anything fancy. Lots of exposed pipes, columns, electrical runs, mechanical areas, etc. I personally don't care for them, but they aren't engineered any differently.

Rebar corrodes over time. How fast depends on the weather and amount of exposure.

This is why you have to inspect the design elements often on all buildings. Rebar will not last forever.

I've seen a lot of old buildings and bridges where the rebar has already deteriorated from years of exposure, many times nearly failing. You can fix the area with additional reinforcing in most cases, but sometimes you have to remove a large area and replace it. This is all pretty normal in this industry.

I worked on some historical buildings, which i will never do again. It's basically cut to fit, paint to match engineering. Not my cup of tea. But it is possible to repair older buildings with better reinforcing, just takes a lot of money.

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: June 28, 2021, 05:13:42 PM »

Maybe we should start using Greek and Roman building methods haha

yes- I know it's not a high rise, but....

We do. ;)

They did a good job, we can easily make things last for hundreds of years if we had the money. The problem is these structures today need to be cost effective in order to make money for the owner.

I could design something out of high strength reinforced concrete that would last hundreds of years. But you can't spend $100 million on something that can normally be built with $5 million.

A lot of the structures that have lasted for so long were built with unlimited budges. No questions asked, just build the strongest thing on the planet.

We don't do that anymore. ;D

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #81 on: June 28, 2021, 05:27:26 PM »
Another thing to consider for building life span, are the rest of the components. It's not the structure that typically needs renovation. The mechanical, electrical, technology and plumbing components need to be upgraded regularly.

All this factors into the overall cost of the building and economics.

Structures can be built to last hundreds of years. But we don't mainly because it is often times cheaper to tear them down and replace them with something more current.

It's all about that money!

Megalodon

• Getbig V
« Reply #82 on: June 29, 2021, 09:19:35 AM »
A foriegn military can sift through our rubble and tell us what happened.

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #83 on: June 29, 2021, 09:33:53 AM »
Another thing to consider for building life span, are the rest of the components. It's not the structure that typically needs renovation. The mechanical, electrical, technology and plumbing components need to be upgraded regularly.

All this factors into the overall cost of the building and economics.

Structures can be built to last hundreds of years. But we don't mainly because it is often times cheaper to tear them down and replace them with something more current.

It's all about that money!

I totally agree with that! Modern day commercial buildings are cheap shit shells that are lucky to be around in 30 years.

The time frame for people has shrunk from 100's of years to months now. I don't think that's a good thing.

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: June 29, 2021, 09:35:49 AM »
The impression I'm getting from the facts slowly getting out is that this building was constantly flooded with seawater at the basement/parking garage levels. It was just a matter of time before the foundation gave way.

IRON CROSS

• Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: June 29, 2021, 05:41:22 PM »
A foriegn military can sift through our rubble and tell us what happened.

How embarassing  :-\

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #86 on: June 29, 2021, 05:48:32 PM »
How embarassing  :-\

Shouldn't feel that way. They have had plenty of experience because of the missile strikes and bombings.

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #87 on: June 29, 2021, 06:31:57 PM »
We do. ;)

They did a good job, we can easily make things last for hundreds of years if we had the money. The problem is these structures today need to be cost effective in order to make money for the owner.

I could design something out of high strength reinforced concrete that would last hundreds of years. But you can't spend $100 million on something that can normally be built with $5 million.

A lot of the structures that have lasted for so long were built with unlimited budges. No questions asked, just build the strongest thing on the planet.

We don't do that anymore. ;D

The ancient structures were built with unreinforced concrete, that's why they're still standing.  steel reinforced concrete is good for maybe 100 years, usually less.  The steel rebar rusts, expands, and causes spalling. 

Maybe the microfiber concrete will be more durable, who knows.  But if you wanna build concrete to last, don't make it steel reinforced

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: June 29, 2021, 06:46:45 PM »
The ancient structures were built with unreinforced concrete, that's why they're still standing.  steel reinforced concrete is good for maybe 100 years, usually less.  The steel rebar rusts, expands, and causes spalling. 

Maybe the microfiber concrete will be more durable, who knows.  But if you wanna build concrete to last, don't make it steel reinforced

Un-reinforced concrete might not be the best choice for buildings in areas prone to earthquakes.

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: June 29, 2021, 06:56:43 PM »

You can make steel reinforced concrete last a long time. It just requires a lot of steel and high quality cement.

There are newer options available now, but we aren't sure how long they will last.

Everything is about fast and cheap these days.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: June 29, 2021, 07:38:23 PM »
You can make steel reinforced concrete last a long time. It just requires a lot of steel and high quality cement.

There are newer options available now, but we aren't sure how long they will last.

Everything is about fast and cheap these days.

That condo complex was built in 1981. Guess fast and cheap has been going on for awhile. My house was build in the late 70's....even then the quality of construction wasn't great. But lumber was cheap so there's a lot of it in this place.

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #91 on: July 02, 2021, 06:43:06 PM »
Building in North Miami Beach has been deemed unsafe and residents told to evacuate

TonyAlva

• Getbig IV
« Reply #92 on: July 02, 2021, 07:42:11 PM »
I was thinking of buying a Condo in the Pearl District. Guess I'll think again before making a big mistake.

Please. please reconsider

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #93 on: July 03, 2021, 12:11:09 AM »
Please. please reconsider

Not to worry, it was not a serious thought. I am happy with my current living arrangement. If I were to change anything about where I lived, I'd split my time between my home in West Linn and a place in the village where my son lives in Germany. Being near family is hugely important to me. My wife and I fantasized living carefree in a condo or townhouse when there we had each other. Living alone does not appeal to me except in those rare moments when I am pissed off with my family. All in all, I think I am extremely lucky to have the life I do and to live where I do.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #94 on: July 03, 2021, 04:45:38 AM »
Living in certain parts of Florida at any time is a risk with hurricanes.

Your home could get wiped out every year.

People move down there from other places and usually ignore this possibility.

IRON CROSS

• Getbig V
« Reply #95 on: July 03, 2021, 05:10:19 PM »
Not to worry, it was not a serious thought. I am happy with my current living arrangement. If I were to change anything about where I lived, I'd split my time between my home in West Linn and a place in the village where my son lives in Germany. Being near family is hugely important to me. My wife and I fantasized living carefree in a condo or townhouse when there we had each other. Living alone does not appeal to me except in those rare moments when I am pissed off with my family. All in all, I think I am extremely lucky to have the life I do and to live where I do.

ANTIFA love your town too  :D

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #96 on: July 03, 2021, 05:25:11 PM »

agreed steel creates space for the block to fail
A

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #97 on: July 03, 2021, 05:32:08 PM »
High rises need to sit on rock foundation . You dont need steel treated beams and plywood with screws lag bolts ect. You just put durock over it all and tile it
A

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #98 on: July 03, 2021, 09:11:17 PM »
High rises need to sit on rock foundation . You dont need steel treated beams and plywood with screws lag bolts ect. You just put durock over it all and tile it

;D

Put the pipe down son.

Do you know what would happen to a high rise on a rock foundation?

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #99 on: July 05, 2021, 07:14:02 AM »
;D

Put the pipe down son.

Do you know what would happen to a high rise on a rock foundation?

Aren't New York City buildings on bedrock?