Author Topic: Does Karate Work?  (Read 21107 times)

SteelePegasus

• Getbig V
  • Life, death, in between is getbig.com
Re: Does Karate Work?
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2007, 05:16:22 AM »
Hopefully Berkfury can shed some light on this topic..He should be on day 2 of MMA training I think..he is going far
Here comes the money shot

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2007, 05:28:27 AM »
Before you do, make sure it's not a bullshit school. There are schools that only do point fighting because it's not a liability and it gets the soccer moms in the door, especially TaeKwonDo, giving karate a reputation as being soft.

Take Kyokushin Karate(Japanese Full-Contact) or Goju Ryu(traditional Okinawan karate).

Also Shorei-Ryu and SeidoKaikan are good styles.

Most of the karate fighters that are successful in events like K-1 are Kyokushin, because they do a lot of real sparring (gradually of course).

Ignore Realkarate's pink belt & poor bodybuilding judgements.

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2007, 05:33:02 AM »
Karate works as a foundation and a beginning, but make sure you learn more aspects as well, grappling, throws, takedowns,knees etc

It is always better to become as complete as possible.

If you get taken down, you need to have tools to respond with otherwise you will be caught and defeated.
Q

migizi

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2007, 05:39:52 AM »
no it doesn't work.....go with Gracie Jiu-Jitsu, or combat Sambo....what good is a kick or a punch if your on the ground getting choked out or being put in a kimura and your arm breaks? hmm?

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2007, 05:47:08 AM »
It all depends on who you're facing and what your goal is, Karate works well on people without any wrestling and grapplingskill.

But if you want to always be prepared, no matter who you are facing, your style should be complete, ie you should have a tool for anything that may come up, takedowns and whatnot.

But if you want to impress some 9-year olds, i am certain Karate works well.

Thing is, there was a MMA-boom years ago, and many many people have a multi-faceted fightinggame nowadays, it's not like in the 70's when you could scare of some hoodlums with some Karate kicks in the air.

Back then, Martial Arts had that mystique, nowadays, everyone and their mom is training something, and make no mistake, there is a high chance that it's mixed and complete these days.

Many people are proficient with both striking and grappling these days, so to be ready for any kind of opposition, train so you have tools for any kind of situation.

It all depends on your goal.
Q

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2007, 05:51:14 AM »
Does Karate Work?  ???

Guns work better.
Ron: "I am lazy."

BroadStreetBruiser

• Getbig V
  • "In Falcon We Trust"
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2007, 06:01:51 AM »
$

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2007, 06:06:39 AM »
Guns work.

"Hope this helps."

Q

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2007, 06:34:38 AM »
Don't steal my lines goat!  >:(

Sorry, I didn't read your line.  My attention span isn't long enough to read the whole thread before replying.
Ron: "I am lazy."

BroadStreetBruiser

• Getbig V
  • "In Falcon We Trust"
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2007, 06:35:14 AM »

Sorry, I didn't read your line.  My attention span isn't long enough to read the whole thread before replying.

yeah, I rarely read anything here haha
$

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2007, 07:00:04 AM »
So that means by learning that style that you can't hit in the head. That's like saying your not supposed to point guns at people... It doesn't mean you can't, you just shouldn't.

Eh? Stay off the drugs.
Z

vikingpower

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2007, 07:10:18 AM »
95% of the time no... but 5% of dojos turn out solid students

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2007, 09:48:18 AM »
i can only say this from an english point of veiw, but when i was growin up no one fucked with the boxers, the karate kids usualy got kicked to fuck and had to go with out dinner money for weeks on end!

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2007, 11:26:16 AM »
Maybe only the more sophisticated families allowed their children to try Karate ;)
Q

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2007, 01:35:20 PM »
Take muay thai. 

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2007, 01:43:44 PM »
Ask Danielson to teach you!
just push some weight!

IceCold

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2007, 08:22:07 PM »
Ignore Realkarate's pink belt & poor bodybuilding judgements.

this coming from a guy who refuses to go to a gym, but instead uses a bowflex and plays himself of as a training expert
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL ABBOTT (1966-2004)

Eric2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2007, 08:28:25 PM »
Does Karate Work?

In the real world................... .......very little. Most of it is bullshit. Most folks get attacked before they can do anything, they are on the ground out, robbed and, bleeding.
   Most guys get into it because they got beat up and want an edge. The best edge is staying away from troubled area's.
h

beatmaster

• Getbig IV
  • Save a tree, eat a beaver
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2007, 08:30:03 PM »

couldn't say it better myself
are you delusional?

sgt. d

• Getbig V
  • Don't tase me bro
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2007, 08:41:17 PM »
Is it possible to super kick a bullet shot at you?  :-\

odilly

• Getbig III
  • yo
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2007, 08:44:25 PM »
who is that monster tard looking dude at the end of those pics dude......... the one with the crown and belt...dude looks like he just one the special Olympic kumatay
Odilly

realkarateblackbelt

• Getbig IV
  • Numero UNO!!!!!!!
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2007, 09:13:26 PM »
None of the people commenting are Karate practicioners and have no clue what they are talking about. More 17 year olds weighing 160 pounds with yellow belts in BJJ commenting of something they don't know about.

People that are REALLY in the know in MMA/K-1 know full contact karate is arguably the best standup fighting style. It's certainly most complete. Taking FC Karate you will learn ALL the kicks they teach in Muay-Thai (though they are executed slightly differently, with more emphasis on hip shifting) and many more. It's the most comprehensive standup style, the closest to the Greek Pancratium; every bodily weapon is employed. In Japan karate is taken very seriously. They invited Muay Thai fighters to Japan to compete against the top FC Karate fighters, and the Karate fighters got the better of them. It's also proven in sport fighting/kickboxing events like K-1.

K-1 essentially determines the best standup fighter in the world. Succesful fighters in K-1 are either FC KARATE or Muay-Thai practicioners. No boxer has excelled in K-1. The "White Buffalo" Francois Botha (held his own with Tyson before being Ko'd) didn't make it very far. Japanese Karate fighter Musashi beat former renowned boxer Ray Mercer.

The current champion of K-1, Semmy Schilt, is a Seidokaikan(an offshoot of Kyokushin) Karate Fighter.
Kyokushinkai Andy Hug (called the "blue-eyed samarai" in Japan) won the K-1 grand Prix championships in 96 before dying of Leukemia at roughly 210 pounds, very small for a K-1 fighter. He also beat Mirko Cro Cop, a kickboxer everyone nuts over.  

UFC heavyweight champion, King of Pancrase, Bas Rutten on his fighting background:

How many different styles of fighting have you trained in? Do you have any ranks? Who do you consider your teacher?

"...Kyokushin Karate 2nd Degree, Thai boxing yellow slip (just kidding), Kyokushin All round fighting 5th Degree (I received this after I defeated Takahashi. I didn’t do any test for this).

Anyone that has taken FCKarate and seen Bas take out opponent after opponent with close-range body strikes in Pancrase knows that's something they practice in FCkarate all the time. They don't allow you to punch each other in the face with bare knuckles (though kicking and kneeing is legal) because you wouldn't be able to train anymore if your jaw is fractured or your cheeks are broken. It is important training without gloves, because it is very close to real fighting, effecting how you block. You block differently with gloves. Enroll yourself with your cocky attitude and see how tough you really are.

The standup on UFC with few exceptions is pathetic. FCKARATE will teach you real standup fighting. Stick with Kyokushin, Goju-Ryu (or any okinawan style taught traditionally), stay away from Tae Kwon Do (point fighting), Shotokan (stances too deep, very linear). Karate is proven effective.

K-1 fight held under FC KARATE Rules:

Karate Fighter Andy Hug beating Muay Thai Fighter and K-1 finalist Changphuak Kiatsongrit

&mode=related&search=

Renowned Kickboxer Pat Smith (UFC veteran) losing to unknown Japanese Karate Fighter

Karate beating Muay Thai (Japan):

&mode=related&search=

Karate Kicking Demonstration (Japan):

&mode=related&search=
TEAM REPTILIAN

IceCold

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2007, 09:27:26 PM »
karelin would beat all. 
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL ABBOTT (1966-2004)

omg

• Getbig III
  • Maybe we all just havent figured it out yet
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2007, 09:27:49 PM »
fine and all as a hobby

traditional karate is full of katas and little contact sparring, if any sparring is done it is with gloves and very controlled. you need a lot of sparring time to develop urself as a fighter. kata's are useless.

get a gun/knife/big dog/pepper spray they all work well

realkarateblackbelt

• Getbig IV
  • Numero UNO!!!!!!!
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2007, 09:40:55 PM »
fine and all as a hobby

traditional karate is full of katas and little contact sparring, if any sparring is done it is with gloves and very controlled. you need a lot of sparring time to develop urself as a fighter. kata's are useless.

get a gun/knife/big dog/pepper spray they all work well

Another clown that has absolutely no clue what they're talking about. Traditional karate doesn't use any gloves, only modern sport-oriented karate like TaeKwonDo uses gloves. Traditional Karate is full contact and doesn't use gloves. They fight constantly AND do kata. Kata is very important, and Bas Rutten has commented that he runs through katas even today. The purpose of Kata is so the instructor can evaluate how good your technique is. Sloppy technique is weak in real fighting.

FC Karate is proven in actual fighting, and produces world champion fighters in MMA and K-1.
TEAM REPTILIAN