Author Topic: "farve should have been benched"  (Read 6949 times)

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
Re: "farve should have been benched"
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2009, 01:15:12 PM »
You're really losing it, i said first SB, 1981. Were you even aware of football then? LOL

yes that 9ers defense was better than any broncos defense elway had in the 80's

like i said, elway carried teams to the super bowl, none of those bronco teams were complete

E
E

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2009, 04:52:44 PM »
There have always been QBs like Favre, many who are highly aclaimed-Elway's a good example. He only won the SB in the last few years, when the coaching changed and he was open to or forced to learn some lessons on how to be a better QB from previous loses. Not quite Favre like stupidity but similar in many ways until later. Same applies to Peyton Manning. Favre's late-season meltdown happened after he went to the coaches and demanded that they "open up the offense" ie revert to his old ways. It was the coaching staff's fault for allowing it, but we don't know how much ownership pressure there was to go with his wishes.

No one ever mentions Elway with the term "over rated"

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2009, 04:55:54 PM »
ok terrel davis made no difference whatsoever ::)

exactly, Terrel only rushed for 2000 yards.. ::) almost did it twice right??   ::)

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2009, 05:07:12 PM »
All of those guys if they'd understood the game better

LMAO i like how YOU question those particular NFL quarterbacks knowledge of the game...

All of those guys if they'd understood the game better

you have no clue about what youre talking about and the funny thing is its apparent to everyone but you...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2009, 08:56:43 PM »
Farve is the most debatable QB when the term "over rated" comes into play, and its not by accident. None of the other Greats get mentioned with the term over rated like Farve does.  People forget that Reggie White had more to do with the Packers winning the SB, their defense that year was very good.
You forgot to mention that Marino's last year he dealt with a severe nerve problem in his neck and arm which affected his play, at least the Dolphins were in the playoffs Marino's last year..
are you including this year in the 9 Pro Bowl appearances you mentioned??  ::)  yeah cause he deserves to go to Honolulu this year..

I don't hear much talk about Favre being overrated.  He was a great QB.  Not perfect.  Yes he took chances.  Yes he threw a lot of INTs.  But his gunslinger approach is part of what made him a great QB. 

I also didn't mention his Iron Man streak.  Isn't he the most durable QB in NFL history? 

No, he didn't deserve the Pro Bowl this year. 

The point about Marino was he played past his prime.  Favre is one of many great players to have worn out his welcome and played after his skills had deteriorated. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2009, 08:59:26 PM »
elway didn't learn new lessons, he finally had a running game

those teams elway lost to in the super bowl were vastly superior, although the packers led by favre were 13 point favorites over the broncos and they lost

E

That's right.  Elway carried very mediocre offenses to the playoffs pretty much every year.  His WRs were average.  His RBs were average.  It wasn't until Davis that he was able to get over the hump. 

Elway was a great QB. 

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2009, 12:50:18 PM »
I don't hear much talk about Favre being overrated.  He was a great QB.  Not perfect.  Yes he took chances.  Yes he threw a lot of INTs.  But his gunslinger approach is part of what made him a great QB. 

I also didn't mention his Iron Man streak.  Isn't he the most durable QB in NFL history? 

No, he didn't deserve the Pro Bowl this year. 

The point about Marino was he played past his prime.  Favre is one of many great players to have worn out his welcome and played after his skills had deteriorated. 

people debate on whether Farve was overrated more than any other of the greats. he has thrown more ints. than any other quarterback.
his iron man streak goes all the way back to when he was dependent on painkillers right? the same painkillers that helped him get through games? i always found that a bit hypocritical, to praise someone so much for accomplishing something based in part on an addiction.
most of the great ones play past their prime...its that same competitiveness that led them to be great that keeps them from hanging it up

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2009, 02:54:52 PM »
That's right.  Elway carried very mediocre offenses to the playoffs pretty much every year.  His WRs were average.  His RBs were average.  It wasn't until Davis that he was able to get over the hump. 

Elway was a great QB. 

Nah, he was no Montana, Bradshaw or Brady-those are great QBS. A great QB doesn't go 0-3 in SBs, no matter what. He only became a better QB when different coaches forced him to do things he previously didn't do, that is play smarter football and abandon the same gunslinger mentality Favre has. Just as Favre was instructed to do the last few years until he over-ruled them, resulting in last year's playoff game ended INT and 3 INTs last week.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2009, 02:56:05 PM »
Nah, a great QB doesn't go 0-3 in SBs, no matter what. He only became a better QB when different coaches told him what to do, much as Favre was instructed to do the last few years until he over-ruled them, resulting in last year's playoff game ended INT and 3 INTs last week.

is it better to not make the super bowl than lose in a super bowl?

what qb's would you say were better than elway?

E
E

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2009, 02:58:43 PM »
is it better to not make the super bowl than lose in a super bowl?

what qb's would you say were better than elway?

E

Montana, Bradshaw, Brady, Unitas were great QBs. My definition of great is short, doesn't include the ones who were good then benefitted from media hype, like Favre, Manning and Elway. Those guys only got better when forced to by different coaching and loses.

Marino was somewhere in between-they would've had more SB appearances if he'd had less ego, which is a problem with most of them excepting the truly great ones who put their egos aside in the interests of winning football.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2009, 03:00:54 PM »
Montana, Bradshaw, Brady, Unitas were great QBs. My definition of great is the truly great ones, not the ones who were good then benefitted from media hype, like Favre and Elway. Those two guys only got better when forced to by different coaching and loses.

Marino was somewhere in between-they would've had more SB appearances if he'd had less ego, which is a problem with most of them excepting the truly great ones who put their egos aside in the interests of winning football.

bradshaw was not a great qb he played on the most loaded team in history, this coming from a hardcore steeler fan

E
E

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2009, 03:04:48 PM »
bradshaw was not a great qb he played on the most loaded team in history, this coming from a hardcore steeler fan

E

That sounds like someone who wasn't old enough to see them play then. By the time of their 3rd and 4th SBs, the character of the team had morphed; their defense was good but not dominant in the same way as earlier, Bradshaw was the MAN LOL seriously dude i was a steelers fan in the early 70s way before these so-so facsimilies you revere now. ;) ;) ;) ;)

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2009, 03:06:27 PM »
That sounds like someone who wasn't old enough to see them play then. By the time of their 3rd and 4th SBs, the character of the team had morphed; Bradshaw was the MAN LOL seriously dude i was a steelers fan in the early 70s way before these so-so facsimilies you revere now. ;) ;) ;) ;)

well you are the only one i've ever heard mention him as one of the best all time

E
E

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2009, 03:08:27 PM »
well you are the only one i've ever heard mention him as one of the best all time

E

Don't know where you've been then, it's common knowledge. Bradshaw was as dominant in the late 70s as Montana and Brady. I watched most of their regular season games from the early-late 70s.

I'd also include Staubach as a great QB, one of those a notch above pretenders/ego-driven gunslingers like Elway, Favre and the old Manning.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2009, 03:13:21 PM »
Don't know where you've been then, it's common knowledge. Bradshaw was as dominant in the late 70s as Montana and Brady. I watched most of their regular season games from the early-late 70s.

not common knowledge to anybody that lives in the burgh and saw every single play of his career :P

his numbers alone should tell you he wasn't as dominant as these guys

E

E

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2009, 03:43:51 PM »
John Elway led his team to five Super Bowls.  When they won (third appearance), the NFC had won 14 straight Super Bowls.  Pretty clear to anyone watching the game during that period that the NFC was vastly superior to the AFC.  When you factor in the lack of talent surrounding Elway, the fact he got there three times without a legitimate running game is pretty incredible. 

His performance was steady throughout his career.  When he finally got the missing link, he won two rings. 

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2009, 04:11:06 PM »
Bradshaw was the MAN LOL seriously dude i was a steelers fan in the early 70s way before these so-so facsimilies you revere now. ;) ;) ;) ;)

thats why you alone consider him as one of the elite greats. Elway>Bradshaw easily

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2009, 04:35:44 PM »

E

i agree, how many of Terry's teammates on both sides of the ball are in the HOF?

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2009, 04:43:07 PM »
i agree, how many of Terry's teammates on both sides of the ball are in the HOF?

offense:

franco harris
mike webster
lynn swann
john stalworth

defense:

mel blount
jack lambert
jack ham
mean joe greene

L.C. greenwood and maybe andy russell should be in there but i hear the committee doesn't want to put in too many guys from the same team

E
E

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2009, 05:06:54 AM »
Thomas Jones is another ignorant negro.  Too dumb to realize the only reason he went from 1 TD a year ago to this season is teams respecting the deep ball of Favre.  Wait til he faces the 8 men in a box again next year and goes back to the mediocre back that he truly is.

Joel_A

• Getbig III
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2009, 06:08:19 AM »
Whew, I thought I was the only one to think Bradshaw didn't deserve to be in the HOF. I would put him up there with Joe Namath. Tha fucker had more INTs than TD's in his career, yet he's in the HOF because of 1 game.