Author Topic: GA / occasionally Soulcrusher training thread  (Read 512695 times)

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
GA / occasionally Soulcrusher training thread
« on: November 05, 2014, 06:20:09 PM »
Don't want to clog the lifting thread with decent into uber twinkdom.

First Stew Smith workout.   If this is how I feel after the 1st one, 7 weeks feels impossible.

10 min jog @ 6 mph

10 sets - 10 jumping jacks/10 pushups, no rest

50 pullups in as few sets as possible, "rest" between sets is equal to same number of pushups, dips, or abs x3  Had to use a band at the end.

Shoulder curl to press x 20

2 mile outdoor run in 14:40

Looks like my normal regimen of 6.5 hrs sleep and booze has to stop.......or just cut it down to a few days.  ;D
Y

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
Re: Grape Ape trains for a Go Ruck
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 06:22:32 PM »
Four circuits:
5 min run (6 mph  / 7.5 / 7.6 / 7.7)
1 min goblet squats
1 min lunges
2 min abs

5 30 sec sprints at 10 mph (max treadmill) / 30 sec rest

2 mile run @ 14:40
Y

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 05:01:41 AM »
Four circuits:
5 min run (6 mph  / 7.5 / 7.6 / 7.7)
1 min goblet squats
1 min lunges
2 min abs

5 30 sec sprints at 10 mph (max treadmill) / 30 sec rest

2 mile run @ 14:40
I like this..timed training.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 05:09:38 AM »
I like this..timed training.

Thanks....the hard part is figuring out the cadence of the timed exercise, so you don't fail early.
Y

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 05:15:52 AM »
Thanks....the hard part is figuring out the cadence of the timed exercise, so you don't fail early.
Yes.. last time i did a workout like this i was quite sore the next day. A boxing circuit. Jumping rope in between exercises...was good. Doing step ups for legs. Really does get you sweating.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 05:32:14 AM »
Yes.. last time i did a workout like this i was quite sore the next day. A boxing circuit. Jumping rope in between exercises...was good. Doing step ups for legs. Really does get you sweating.

The cardio benefits seem to be great, and I think I'll get the added benefit of a "deload" where I'm not using heavy weights for a month or so.  Probably will be good for the joints.
Y

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 05:38:41 AM »
The cardio benefits seem to be great, and I think I'll get the added benefit of a "deload" where I'm not using heavy weights for a month or so.  Probably will be good for the joints.
yes i think so too. I was not using weight on the step ups and after a few circuits i felt it. some good bodyweight exercises. was a full body workout just skipping around the muscle groups. Soul Crusher does some good workouts too.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 05:56:29 AM »
yes i think so too. I was not using weight on the step ups and after a few circuits i felt it. some good bodyweight exercises. was a full body workout just skipping around the muscle groups. Soul Crusher does some good workouts too.

Agreed - soul crusher actually put me in contact with the guy who gave me this routine.
Y

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 05:35:53 PM »
5 x  circuit
Jumping jacks x 10
Pushup x 10
Abs x 20
Pullup - Max
Dip x 10
Curl to press x 12-20

Plank 1 min
Swimmer 1 min
Reverse pushup 1 min
Arm hauler 1 min

Light shoulder circuit

15 min run - light 8mph  1 mile, 6 mph 6.5 min, 10 mph 1 min.

Felt like shit on run tonight.
Y

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2014, 01:12:32 PM »
Yesterday: Off

Today:  5 mile run / 50 min ruck
Y

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2014, 11:08:56 PM »
Ive actually gotten back into training like i used to as a Marine, but incorporating more weights..

Im starting to get back into combat sports, tactical shooting, hunting, etc... and discovered my cardio was horrible.

Started running again, 3x weekly, 3-5 miles at a shot... im back to running 3 miles in 24:45 ish, doing that after training 1 hour doing 2 bodyparts in a combination of heavy basic compound movements and high volume isolation lifts for endurance.

Also added in 2 and 3 mile runs with 40lbs in my day pack and combat boots. Havent started doing ruck marches again, might add that in later.

It definitely gives the body a different look... that lean, muscular, dangerous look you see on so many fighters and SF Operators.

Good stuff grape, stick with it.. it kicks your ass but itll get you in a 'all around real world' athletic shape that just feels awesome.

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2014, 11:10:08 PM »
Outed
P

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2014, 08:32:19 AM »
Ive actually gotten back into training like i used to as a Marine, but incorporating more weights..

Im starting to get back into combat sports, tactical shooting, hunting, etc... and discovered my cardio was horrible.

Started running again, 3x weekly, 3-5 miles at a shot... im back to running 3 miles in 24:45 ish, doing that after training 1 hour doing 2 bodyparts in a combination of heavy basic compound movements and high volume isolation lifts for endurance.

Also added in 2 and 3 mile runs with 40lbs in my day pack and combat boots. Havent started doing ruck marches again, might add that in later.

It definitely gives the body a different look... that lean, muscular, dangerous look you see on so many fighters and SF Operators.

Good stuff grape, stick with it.. it kicks your ass but itll get you in a 'all around real world' athletic shape that just feels awesome.

Thanks.  From what I've read, jogging with the ruck can be dangerous - do you have any issues?   Rucking after running led to me feeling hot spots (pre blister) for the first time.

My running times have been decent - did the five miles in 37:50, without feeling that good on it.  Did 8 in Seattle in just under an hour, which was cool.  I've forgone the should surgery this winter to do the event.  Bone on bone in right shoulder that I have to just gut out, and I think laying off the weights a bit might help.  Pushups  do grind a bit on it though....
Y

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2014, 11:38:09 AM »
Thanks.  From what I've read, jogging with the ruck can be dangerous - do you have any issues?   Rucking after running led to me feeling hot spots (pre blister) for the first time.

My running times have been decent - did the five miles in 37:50, without feeling that good on it.  Did 8 in Seattle in just under an hour, which was cool.  I've forgone the should surgery this winter to do the event.  Bone on bone in right shoulder that I have to just gut out, and I think laying off the weights a bit might help.  Pushups  do grind a bit on it though....
well, i use a smaller 3 day pack rather than the full size ruck. i havent really had any injuries from it, my knees were kind of tender before but seem to be better the more im working out.

You definitely slow down when running with pack and boots, but as long as you dont push yourself too far, you should be ok.

Youll be amazed how fast you gain cardio when your running with 40+lbs on you. When you take the weight back off you feel light as a feather

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2014, 05:19:32 PM »
well, i use a smaller 3 day pack rather than the full size ruck. i havent really had any injuries from it, my knees were kind of tender before but seem to be better the more im working out.

You definitely slow down when running with pack and boots, but as long as you dont push yourself too far, you should be ok.

Youll be amazed how fast you gain cardio when your running with 40+lbs on you. When you take the weight back off you feel light as a feather

Agree - actually  the pack is starting to feel like it belongs back there, even with the weight.  The only issue is I like having it tighter so it doesn't bounce, and I have trouble getting out of it.
Y

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2014, 05:57:19 PM »
Agree - actually  the pack is starting to feel like it belongs back there, even with the weight.  The only issue is I like having it tighter so it doesn't bounce, and I have trouble getting out of it.
well, youre supposed to have it tight, and high... you want the weight to feel like its up in the middle of your back, and use the waist and chest straps to really support the load. When its rights, you should be able to rotate and move easily and have the weight feel solid and not like its pulling backwards/downwards... it should feel like its a part of your body. To get out, you crack loose your chest and waist strap and loosen up one shoulder strap to slip out.

When you out it on, bend over 90* at thr waist, shrug the load up HIGH on your back, and cinch down the shoulder straps, rathet than trying to pull the load up your back while youre standing up.

Kind of hard to explain over the internet, but yeah. Center of gravity should be HIGH.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2014, 05:01:52 AM »
well, youre supposed to have it tight, and high... you want the weight to feel like its up in the middle of your back, and use the waist and chest straps to really support the load. When its rights, you should be able to rotate and move easily and have the weight feel solid and not like its pulling backwards/downwards... it should feel like its a part of your body. To get out, you crack loose your chest and waist strap and loosen up one shoulder strap to slip out.

When you out it on, bend over 90* at thr waist, shrug the load up HIGH on your back, and cinch down the shoulder straps, rathet than trying to pull the load up your back while youre standing up.

Kind of hard to explain over the internet, but yeah. Center of gravity should be HIGH.

Appreciate it man.  Yes, it sits high....no chest strap - that's optional on the GR1, but I think I'm going to get one.  I have a shitty shoulder in terms of flexibility, so I should probably work on that, as it might help.
Y

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2014, 07:08:04 PM »
1.5 mile run @ 10:51
40 push up
1.5 mile run @ 11:15

Plank 1 Min
Swimmer 1 Min
Reverse push up 1 Min
Arm Hauler 1 Min

Light shoulder circuit

5x run/pushup/situp circuit:
1/4 mile run (10 mph / 8 mph / 7.5 mph / 6 mph / 10/7.5 mph combo)
20 push up
20 sit up

10 "owed" pushups from run
100 crunches
Y

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2014, 03:23:27 PM »
Boom.    Gonna be cold wet sandy 40 plus miles of awrsome.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2014, 08:46:15 AM »
Did 30 minutes weights - 30 minutes stair master - 15 minutes treadmill - 30 minutes elyptical - then a 3 MILE RUCK 

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2014, 05:47:30 AM »
very intresting thread....good stuff

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2014, 06:09:41 PM »
very intresting thread....good stuff

Thanks, Donny.  It's much appreciated.  Knowing someone is "watching" motivates.....

10 Non stop circuits:
10 x jumping jacks
10 x pushup (first 5)  5 x pushup (last five)

2 Non stop circuits:
Pullups max (atomik bomb)
Pulldown x 10
Crunch x 50
Bench press x 20 / 17 second set
5 min jog @ 8 + 8.5 min mile pace
Military press x 15.
Plank x 1 min
Run 1/4 mile (6 min mile first one, 7 min mile second)
Manmaker x 5

Light shoulder circuit

Run 20 min outside - ~2.5 miles ish....little over 8 min mile

20 pushup

Y

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2014, 04:31:09 AM »
Thanks, Donny.  It's much appreciated.  Knowing someone is "watching" motivates.....

10 Non stop circuits:
10 x jumping jacks
10 x pushup (first 5)  5 x pushup (last five)

2 Non stop circuits:
Pullups max (atomik bomb)
Pulldown x 10
Crunch x 50
Bench press x 20 / 17 second set
5 min jog @ 8 + 8.5 min mile pace
Military press x 15.
Plank x 1 min
Run 1/4 mile (6 min mile first one, 7 min mile second)
Manmaker x 5

Light shoulder circuit

Run 20 min outside - ~2.5 miles ish....little over 8 min mile

20 pushup

No probs mate...you would beat me anyway running now...i´m getting old ;D I always liked the webbing runs we did. Battle PT with logs. called it getting Beasted. Paraded with red pt tops blue shorts white pumps(shoes) you had to whiten them and your shorts and shirt had to be highly pressed. we rubbed soap in the inside pressed it and you had creases. remember "Harry the Bastard" our instructor and his medicine balls.. was a Kunt but we liked him and got him a silver Beer Tankard with "Harry the Bastard" engraved on it. He came in our room with beer and he Christened his Tankard... ;D was still a kunt though...lol

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2014, 05:05:41 AM »
No probs mate...you would beat me anyway running now...i´m getting old ;D I always liked the webbing runs we did. Battle PT with logs. called it getting Beasted. Paraded with red pt tops blue shorts white pumps(shoes) you had to whiten them and your shorts and shirt had to be highly pressed. we rubbed soap in the inside pressed it and you had creases. remember "Harry the Bastard" our instructor and his medicine balls.. was a Kunt but we liked him and got him a silver Beer Tankard with "Harry the Bastard" engraved on it. He came in our room with beer and he Christened his Tankard... ;D was still a kunt though...lol

Well, that sounds like you experience the real deal.  I'm doing nothing compared to that!
Y

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2014, 06:47:39 AM »
Well, that sounds like you experience the real deal.  I'm doing nothing compared to that!
should form our own squad...Ron`s Commandos... ;D  definitely recruit AJ in there...lol