Author Topic: sissy squats  (Read 3496 times)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
sissy squats
« on: August 04, 2021, 04:03:58 AM »
Anyone use one of these units?  The commercial gym I use to train at had one and in three years of training there I never saw anyone use it. I tried it one time and maybe it wasn't built right, adjusted for my build or I wasn't using it correctly but I didn't like it. Recently I saw a youtube of a guy using it and he used two different types of squats with it. One just squatting and the other a lean back version. Is it a gimmick or does it work?

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
Re: sissy squats
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2021, 12:40:41 PM »
Bhank has one.  Saw it in his pics.

I looked into getting one once.  Seems like good idea.

Basically what a hack machine is for...to develop the lower quads.

You have a nice hack machine don't you?

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2021, 08:25:31 PM »
Bhank has one.  Saw it in his pics.

I looked into getting one once.  Seems like good idea.

Basically what a hack machine is for...to develop the lower quads.

You have a nice hack machine don't you?

Yes, I have a hack machine and a squat machine.  I think the squat machine is a better machine movement for the quads. Very different in their feel. I guess the hack is more quad dominate while the squat machine gets everything feeling like a strict squat. I stopped the squat machine because of some groin strain.  Also my squat machine is a little scary in that it has pre set safety stop.  If I go into an ass to grass can't go any lower I'm still above the safety catch. Always felt if I blew out my knee or reached true exhaustion I would be stuck in that thing yelling for help.  I can't believe they designed it with a fixed safety catch that is so low. I'm 5'8" and the safety catch might be designed for a guy 5'5". 

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2021, 02:27:12 PM »
Anyone use one of these units?  The commercial gym I use to train at had one and in three years of training there I never saw anyone use it. I tried it one time and maybe it wasn't built right, adjusted for my build or I wasn't using it correctly but I didn't like it. Recently I saw a youtube of a guy using it and he used two different types of squats with it. One just squatting and the other a lean back version. Is it a gimmick or does it work?

These are better than sleds because they allow full movement, not a fixed movement.

The problem is they are uncomfortable and hard to add weight to.

Years ago when i was into Olympic lifting, this local gym had one of these and we used it all the time. Sometimes holding a 45 pound plate to our chest for added weight.

They are amazing for quads and core strength, one of the tools that has been overlooked by so many because it's not cool or fancy.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2021, 04:41:08 AM »
These are better than sleds because they allow full movement, not a fixed movement.

The problem is they are uncomfortable and hard to add weight to.

Years ago when i was into Olympic lifting, this local gym had one of these and we used it all the time. Sometimes holding a 45 pound plate to our chest for added weight.

They are amazing for quads and core strength, one of the tools that has been overlooked by so many because it's not cool or fancy.

Thanks for the insight.

On another topic sometimes I wish I was into Olympic lifting all these years instead of bodybuilding type workouts. It's a true sport.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2021, 10:24:46 AM »
Good piece of equipment.  Probably easy to make as well.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2021, 01:25:55 PM »
Good piece of equipment.  Probably easy to make as well.

Thanks for your input.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2021, 10:21:18 AM »
Vince Gironda's favorite leg exercise.  Really develops the quads but start out slow with either bodyweight or very light weights.  Going heavy too fast can tear a quad.....ouch!

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Trainer of Champions
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2021, 12:29:59 PM »
I have one it is the first movement for my leg workouts. But go slow at first it puts more sheering force on the knee than you realize. Do not bounce. You need top build up your strength. I currently do anywhere from 6-10 sets of 20 reps. I do not add any weight.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2021, 05:53:57 PM »
Actually that's a Roman Chair in the picture.

They do have other equipment that are called Roman Chairs, primary for lower back and a leg combo device, but usually fall short of the original concept of a true Roman Chair.  Probably the Roman Chair has been around for hundreds (that's 100's) of years in training history. Circus athletes and strongmen have used it as a training tool over the years.

The Roman Chair affects the quads very strongly and can also work the upper and lower abs extremely well.  It even seems to strengthen the knees themselves. Though if having a recurring knee problem/injury, do take a bit of caution.  As a leverage exercise, weight can be added, but generally it's used weight free. Easy at first, there is a different feel or stretch to the movement. DB's or a BB held as if doing a front squat.

Sissy squats will make a sissy out of the strongest  squatter's in the gym...as the old saying goes. Sissy squats are a form of a superior quad stretching movement, which also affects the flexibility of the ankles and knees, when done the correct way. Most athlete's do a form of the Sissy squat in one way or another; track, football, baseball, etc.

The exercise requires practice to master the true form and effect of the movement. But it can be a rewarding effort. As with the Roman Chair, Sissy squats do not require adding weight. If you feel the need, than that's your choice. As with both exercises,  higher reps offer the best results. 3x12-15 for example.

Good Luck.

F