Author Topic: The Mr Olympia Venue and Location  (Read 7250 times)

bic_staedtler

• Getbig IV
  • That is all.
The Mr Olympia Venue and Location
« on: February 22, 2006, 08:03:18 PM »
What do you guys think....with the O pretty much in Vegas to stay, do you think it was better when it used to go all over the world?  I think it'll stay in Vegas if only due to the money factor...cheaper for the majority of competitors and fans to see.

But I'd still like to see the big show get a global treatment.  Probably not gonna happen.  What y'all think?

bic_staedtler

• Getbig IV
  • That is all.
Re: The Mr Olympia Venue and Location
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 08:13:52 PM »
I think it'd be HUGE in Australia.

I think the fact that shows worldwide aren't doing well is that the participants in those countries might be finally realizing that doing "whatever it takes to win" isn't worth it.  Scoring the drugs and the complications both healthwise and legally being a big reason, I'd say.

The IFBB basically has a "monopoly" on bodybuilding, so they can make the rules...and as long as it's making coins for those in the States, I guess they're happy.  Not good for future growth,  I think.  I don't think moving the O around would 'save' bodybuilding, but it would make it a truly international affair. 

Imagine the extra trouble it took for Haney to peak after those flights!  Imagine the bitching you'd hear about it nowadays....I mean, after all, the Gran Prix is all but dead.

Brutal_1

• Getbig V
  • Your best is...
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 08:20:10 PM »

Really, Australia ???  I think the best turnout would be somewhere in North Antarctica ;D
just not good enough

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 08:44:18 PM »
what is the population of australia?

RAT MCBAT

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 08:46:52 PM »
a blue million convicts ;D
forget what you know

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2006, 08:48:22 PM »
20 million

4 million in sydney alone

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2006, 09:05:20 PM »
I don't understand that but I'd like to.  Australia was an island for prisoners, right?

Basically everyone here was either sent here for being a criminal, came here becasue they were nobodies (ie. dirt poor) in their own land, came here as refugees from various wars (italians and greeks in the 50's and vietnamese in the 70's etc).

When you make it here everyone hates you for your success... not that I can relate to that!

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006, 09:18:22 PM »
Basically everyone here was either sent here for being a criminal, came here becasue they were nobodies (ie. dirt poor) in their own land, came here as refugees from various wars (italians and greeks in the 50's and vietnamese in the 70's etc).
When you make it here everyone hates you for your success... not that I can relate to that!

Sounds like paradise........... ::)
HAHA, RON.....

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2006, 09:30:50 PM »
Sounds like paradise........... ::)
hey the climate is great though...

Sydney is the most comfortable... Never ever snows or gets what I'd call cold and rarely gets too hot besides the odd day in summer. nice sea breeze too.

tony b

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2006, 09:49:24 PM »

New South Wales was claimed by the British in the 1770's and was set up as a penal colony. After further exploration more colonies formed, however these were free colonies and were never penal colonies. The actual transportation of convicts to australia stopped around the 1840's. Then in 1901 federation occured where all the colonies joined together to form the Commonwealth of Australia.

Migration to Australia is no different to that of America, it is diverse and multicultrual. And tall poppy syndrome is more of a myth in my opinion.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2006, 09:58:57 PM »
Lets seeeeeeee.... whats easier to put togeter?

Sending the MAJORITY of athletes to another country, where there are food issues, travel issues, etc OR
Having the MINORITY of competitors from other countries come here?

bic_staedtler

• Getbig IV
  • That is all.
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2006, 10:45:02 PM »
Chick, no arguments here about the ease of it.  I just think, and perhaps you'd agree that the Mr. O (and bodybuilding in general) seemed to have more prestige back when the TOP contest was held globally. 

I'm thinking that was a Ben Weider pushed idea.  I'd think Joe wouldn't give much of a damn about it...I'm not talking about your regular pro shows, just the Olympia.  It was done that way for far longer than it is now currently in Vegas.  But it's probably gone for good...especially in the day of pay per views and the difficulties of running a televised show.

What about different cities in the States, Chick?  You of all people gotta know that the O in New York would be UNbelievable!  And it wouldn't conflict with any revenues from the New York Pro as they're held so long apart.  What about Chicago?  Lots of places....more cash to organize, but I think the IFBB can afford it...then again, more costs incurred to the athletes for travel, food, such.  But they travel for qualifiers, so how should this be any different?

Just thinking out loud....

pushinweight

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2006, 11:38:05 PM »
The cost of putting on the Olympia in any city other than Vegas would be cost ineffective.  Vegas was built around conventions not gambling.  Vegas is the convention capital of the world.  Everything is cheap.  It is a location that most major airlines fly into.  It is a location that is almost impossible to run out of space for conventions and visitors.  The Olympia would be awesome if it changed venues every year like it used too, but the cost to the IFBB would be to great.  And unless you hold it in a country that is really out of touch, food, travel issues etc are not a problem.  Only the cost of them to the IFBB are.  They flip the bill for these things so the cost would take away from the profits of the show.

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2006, 01:03:58 AM »
It's just my personal opinion but I would prefer to see it in different cities/countries. By restricting the show to only the US it does reduce the chance for international fans to attend.

Not to get all political, just stating facts, but remember post 9/11 it can be hard for foreigners to gain entry to the US. People from my part of the world must go through these steps to enter:
Have been at the same job for the last 2 years. If you recently switched job you cannot get a visa even if you are a priest :)
Have a a set amount of money in the bank
Have never been arrested, not even for a traffic offence
Must have your own residence, if you are a young college kid that lives with your parents, you cannot get a visa
Must go for an interview, and the embassy must 'like' you
Must have no relatives in the US, if your brother happened to have married an American girl, you cannot get a visa.
Thats just a start. There are actually over 100 restrictions [literally]

For example, Gustavo is like a major hero in Venezuala. They practically worship him there. If the O was in Canada/UK whatever I guarantee that would be a large amount of Venezualans there.

As I said, not trying to get political so please no one take offense, just stating facts as far as visiting visa facts.

Plus - this is just me of course - but I have been to the O a couple of times  and do like Vegas, but if it was in different cities I would like the chance to see the O, and also visit a new place at the same time. I mean - it's not like I attend the O for the fine production value ;)

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2006, 01:13:36 AM »
CQ, have you tried to apply for a Mastercard instead.  It may be easier.  American Express isn't to hard as long as you got a little money.  Where the hell do you live?  Sounds like a party town.

fathead

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2006, 03:26:45 AM »
keep it vegas    just  at a better venue and  have the expo and the show at the same place not across town.   

the night life is awesome,  the restaurants are great, the prices aren't all that bad,  great gyms , not very far from l.a. and texas 2 major bb states , amazing hotels,fun strip clubs.........   you couldn't pick a better city for the O.

tony b

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2006, 04:01:12 AM »
Lets seeeeeeee.... whats easier to put togeter?
Sending the MAJORITY of athletes to another country, where there are food issues, travel issues, etc OR
Having the MINORITY of competitors from other countries come here?

If you keep it in Vegas, get someone decent to run the thing. Like whoever runs the Arnold Classic, or Tony Doherty who runs the Australian Grand Prix. Least then the event will be properly run and the competitors, fans and promoters will be happy

Slick Vic

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2006, 05:22:45 AM »
What do you guys think....with the O pretty much in Vegas to stay, do you think it was better when it used to go all over the world?  I think it'll stay in Vegas if only due to the money factor...cheaper for the majority of competitors and fans to see.
But I'd still like to see the big show get a global treatment.  Probably not gonna happen.  What y'all think?
I think it was better when the O Show traveled. I feel it gave everyone who wasn't able to attend - due to travel expense or what have you - an opportunity to do so.

MrUniverse

• Getbig III
  • Get bigger than the average Joe!!!
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2006, 07:34:16 AM »

MrUniverse

• Getbig III
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2006, 07:55:23 AM »
Chris Cormier @ the Dutch Grand Prix
http://media.putfile.com/Chris-Holland

MrUniverse

• Getbig III
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2006, 08:05:38 AM »

hillbilly

• Getbig III
  • LOOK! the crazy cat is back and packing a gat!
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2006, 08:12:02 AM »
I say if it is truly the BBing ultimate prize then it needs to travel to places where u have a lot of bodybuilding fans! america has more than anywhere else so every other year it should be in vegas but the rest of the time it should go to the other bodybuilding nations like australia japan and the UK.

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2006, 08:14:52 AM »
I say if it is truly the BBing ultimate prize then it needs to travel to places where u have a lot of bodybuilding fans! america has more than anywhere else so every other year it should be in vegas but the rest of the time it should go to the other bodybuilding nations like australia japan and the UK.

we're in the 21st century.  it aint necessary to be in all those backward countries when the viewer can see it on the internet

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2006, 09:51:15 AM »
I bet in Japan they would pack a place with 50,000 people.

hillbilly

• Getbig III
  • LOOK! the crazy cat is back and packing a gat!
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2006, 09:55:43 AM »
we're in the 21st century.  it aint necessary to be in all those backward countries when the viewer can see it on the internet

yeah but i'm sure ppl would like to have it in there country so they can actually be there.