Author Topic: A test of Getbigger's knowledge of the resistance curve: Single dumbbell lateral  (Read 11871 times)

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
Yes, like this.

Looks like another movement that’s tough on the wrists.

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
You feel it more because it is a movement that provides the greatest resistance in that contracted position. It's that contraction you feel but does it train the muscle optimally? Unlike Bhanks, I never trust my "feelings" in anything in life. I trust reason. An analogy would be the leg extension versus the squat. You can really feel those quads after a brutal set of full contraction leg extensions, there have been times when I even cramped up. With squats, you can never achieve resistance in the fully extended position. But do you think you can optimally develop your quads doing just leg extensions as you would doing squat type movements?

I agree 100%.

A "feel" doesn't mean much. I can get an incredible pump and feel doing pushups and cable flyes, but my chest isn't going to grow much.

Same with leg extensions.

There is way more to this, but i'm honestly not much of an expert on kinesiology. I just lift heavy and as intense as possible.

It is an interesting subject i'd like to know more about.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
But I think that is why that technique is used.  Leaning to the left allows a greater stretch at the bottom of the movement.

Actually, you're right. I didn't read it seriously because of who wrote it. It's hard to take anything he says seriously. When I heard "laying of the floor" my mind already rejected it.

I stand corrected.

pellius

• Getbig V
Looks like another movement that’s tough on the wrists.

That's exactly what I thought. That's the problem with using a straight bar. You start to twist your wrist in the beginning stretch position. Just like when doing tricep pushdowns with a straight bar. As you hold the bar tight and start to go to the up position, the bar is pressing against your thumb twisting your wrist, followed by forearms and then elbows. It's similar to a basic Aikido arm twisting movement. A thumbless grip is better because it allows your wrist more freedom of movement but it's better to have the bar or grip handle turned at an angle that you see on all modern equipment like the Hammer line.

pellius

• Getbig V
I agree 100%.

A "feel" doesn't mean much. I can get an incredible pump and feel doing pushups and cable flyes, but my chest isn't going to grow much.

Same with leg extensions.

There is way more to this, but i'm honestly not much of an expert on kinesiology. I just lift heavy and as intense as possible.

It is an interesting subject i'd like to know more about.

LOL! With all the studies and theorizing in the end that's really all that matters.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
That's exactly what I thought. That's the problem with using a straight bar. You start to twist your wrist in the beginning stretch position. Just like when doing tricep pushdowns with a straight bar. As you hold the bar tight and start to go to the up position, the bar is pressing against your thumb twisting your wrist, followed by forearms and then elbows. It's similar to a basic Aikido arm twisting movement. A thumbless grip is better because it allows your wrist more freedom of movement but it's better to have the bar or grip handle turned at an angle that you see on all modern equipment like the Hammer line.

For biceps I’m doing Hammer Curls as the default movement as it keeps your wrists in a neutral position throughout the movement. Sure, you don’t get the Vince Basile type supination but biceps peak is not something that’s keeping up at night these days😁

pellius

• Getbig V
https://www.instagram.com/p/CP03owtp69Z/

Arthur Jones always pointed out that there is a big difference between demonstrating strength and developing strength. I think what Sly is doing here is silly and pointless other than maybe to impress others and demonstrate what he can do at his age. Still, for me, he is a total inspiration and is taking the human body to a level unheard of just a generation ago. And he's not even a competitive athlete. Just a fitness buff.

pellius

• Getbig V
For biceps I’m doing Hammer Curls as the default movement as it keeps your wrists in a neutral position throughout the movement. Sure, you don’t get the Vince Basile type supination but biceps peak is not something that’s keeping up at night these days😁

LOL! Basile will never live down that supination machine. But no matter how you do curls getting that peak as the muscle develops is pure genetics. Albert Beckles and Robby Robinson don't have nearly the size the bbers of today have, but not all of them have their peak. Look at Levrone. Huge arms. Looks almost like a cartoon character hanging relaxed on his side. Even Arnold's right arm had a more distinct peak than his left.

Genetics. All genetics.

http://

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
Seems pellius is still jerkin around playing friendships instead of doing the exercise
A

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
Arthur Jones always pointed out that there is a big difference between demonstrating strength and developing strength. I think what Sly is doing here is silly and pointless other than maybe to impress others and demonstrate what he can do at his age. Still, for me, he is a total inspiration and is taking the human body to a level unheard of just a generation ago. And he's not even a competitive athlete. Just a fitness buff.
What is the difference between demonstrating strength and developing strength?

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • “Always do what you are afraid to do.” - Emerson

Developing strength is doing what Arthur Jones says and using his machines.

Nothing else is as good.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
Developing strength is doing what Arthur Jones says and using his machines.

Nothing else is as good.
:D  I believe it.

pellius

• Getbig V

Doing a one rep max will demonstrate how strong you are. Doing a set of 8-12 reps to failure you can't use as much weight but it will be more productive to developing muscular size and strength.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
Doing a one rep max will demonstrate how strong you are. Doing a set of 8-12 reps to failure you can't use as much weight but it will be more productive to developing muscular size and strength.
Why don't Olympic lifters and powerlifters do 8-12 rep sets?

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • 2024 NPC Charlotte Cup Champion
Powerlifters and Olympic weight lifters have weight classes they want strength which is really more technique CNS recruitment  than actual muscular hypertrophy which I believe is a better definition of muscular development but regardless eventually a lack of hypertrophy will limit "strength". The massive guys don't go low because something will give out when you get that strong muscles get more blood flow than tendons. After we address these issues first we can then discuss what rep schemes achieve hypertrophy vs just teaching the muscle to lift heavier just because someone can recruit more for a single press and has better technique doesn't make them stronger. I do not accept Pellius defintion. As the other guy may get more reps with a heavier weight and proper form. Bodybuilders want to isolate the muscle competitive weight lifters and powerlifters want to recruit everything including mechanical advantages and momentum to move the weight that doesn't make them stronger

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
Powerlifters and Olympic weight lifters have weight classes they want strength which is really more technique CNS recruitment  than actual muscular hypertrophy which I believe is a better definition of muscular development but regardless eventually a lack of hypertrophy will limit "strength". The massive guys don't go low because something will give out when you get that strong muscles get more blood flow than tendons. After we address these issues first we can then discuss what rep schemes achieve hypertrophy vs just teaching the muscle to lift heavier just because someone can recruit more for a single press and has better technique doesn't make them stronger. I do not accept Pellius defintion. As the other guy may get more reps with a heavier weight and proper form. Bodybuilders want to isolate the muscle competitive weight lifters and powerlifters want to recruit everything including mechanical advantages and momentum to move the weight that doesn't make them stronger
But the comment was about developing strength.

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

You are implying 8-12 reps doesn't develop strength it absolutely does but it also develops hypertrophy which would put them out of their weight classes. That is why they train to learn technique leverage and mechanical advantages. I would argue 8-12 reps develops more strength than low reps as again I do not accept the one rep max at a certain weight as the definition of strength development.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
You are implying 8-12 reps doesn't develop strength it absolutely does but it also develops hypertrophy which would put them out of their weight classes. That is why they train to learn technique leverage and mechanical advantages. I would argue 8-12 reps develops more strength than low reps as again I do not accept the one rep max at a certain weight as the definition of strength development.
Heavyweights don't have to make weight.  If a bodybuilder develops strength isn't he using leverages as well?

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

If your muscles grow and you add muscular tissue you have developed strength you are absolutely stronger than you were before regardless if you have been practicing your one rep max on some lift.

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Heavyweights don't have to make weight.  If a bodybuilder develops strength isn't he using leverages as well?

I try not to use any leverage or momentum the idea is to isolate. Powerlifters will arch their back up to make the chest closer to the bar widen their grip to narrow the distance the arms extend then bounce the weight 4 inches off their sternum using their legs and back and call it a bench press record. That is horseshit bodybuilderss do high neck presses to the chest and squeeze their pecs completely different movement

Again in my opinion developing strength means adding muscle not using big weights. Weights are merely tools not the goal

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
a lack of hypertrophy will limit "strength"
Tell that to powerlifters in the 114-148 pound class who deadlift more than 600 pounds, squat with more than 500 pounds, and bench 300 or more.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
It doesn`t develop hypertrophy if you are attempting to stay at a certain bodyweight and you don`t ingest enough calories and protein.

If it does,it`s gonna take a long time to develop.

Nutrition = 75 % of bodybuilding.

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Tell that to powerlifters in the 114-148 pound class who deadlift more than 600 pounds, squat with more than 500 pounds, and bench 300 or more.

&t=11s

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
&t=11s
That`s not REAL powerlifting.......when I competed back in the 1970`s that kind of a ridiculous arch wouldn`t be considered legal at all.

Do a Google search on Lamar Gant just for starters then get back to me.