Author Topic: Getbig Guitar Heroes  (Read 15472 times)

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
Re: Getbig Guitar Heroes
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2011, 02:04:40 AM »
 :(

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2011, 07:15:29 AM »

Kid's gonna be a monster.

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2011, 07:21:37 AM »
Let's go!!!!!!! I promise you right now I will downright annihilate anybody on this board, 32nd note 6 string arpeggios from 1st to 24th fret , tap sweeps and ridiculous legato!

I used to play Yngwie and Symphony X for fun!

A) You have too much time on your hands
B) You're a lonely nerd

:/

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2011, 08:50:45 AM »
getbiggers at a concert:

Deep Tissue Massage

w8m8

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2011, 09:52:20 AM »
Ask someone that can read charts to play authentic blues.

that list however short it may be would include you  :-*

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2011, 09:58:08 AM »
Slash...

S

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2011, 11:36:06 AM »
Not some string wizard, but I was pleasantly surprised by his solo from 0:33...

Nirvana

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2011, 12:13:51 PM »
nobody here (including me) or on youtube is going anywhere with guitar playing except maybe a local nightclub.

there it's off my chest.

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2011, 01:18:58 PM »
A) You have too much time on your hands
B) You're a lonely nerd

:/

As opposed to some fat permabulker loser, living in a foreign country with an ugly ass wife and an uglier ass kid ?

hahahah, oh don't let me forget; stalking old men and asking them for sexual favors

Ahahahahh.. I'm surprised you're even posting after Chick and the whole board destroyed you.

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2011, 01:34:33 PM »
As opposed to some fat permabulker loser, living in a foreign country with an ugly ass wife and an uglier ass kid ?

hahahah, oh don't let me forget; stalking old men and asking them for sexual favors

Ahahahahh.. I'm surprised you're even posting after Chick and the whole board destroyed you.

Michael Romeo?  ;D

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2011, 01:39:19 PM »
nobody here (including me) or on youtube is going anywhere with guitar playing except maybe a local nightclub.

there it's off my chest.

Been there, done that. Played clubs for a living in the late 80's - early 90's. Taught guitar for a few years as well. Still do occasionally.

If anyone is looking to become rich/famous by playing music, they're playing music for the wrong reasons. We met many flaky musicians back in the day during our countless auditions for band members, and many just wanted to be rock stars, not musicians.

Playing guitar isn't a competition, though many would probably disagree, it's about making music, regardless of technique. This is coming from a dude who practiced technique 6-14 hrs a day for years. I play an instrument to make music that appeals to me first and foremost and because I love music, of all genres. Youtube is the perfect medium for garnering an audience for your music. If your goal is to make money, go to school and get a career, don't become a musician.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2011, 05:30:31 PM »
Not some string wizard, but I was pleasantly surprised by his solo from 0:33...

Story behind that was that all the other guitar players were like "Prince is going to play guitar with us on this song ::)...."

...so he stuck it their faces a bit.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2011, 06:18:22 PM »

Kid's gonna be a monster.
Definatley.
Kid already is a monster.
Hopefully he stays humble and finds himself a group to play with, always a shame to see people like that with insane talent who are too self absorbed to put their ego aside enough to play with others.
After all, IMHO, mastering the instrument is only part of the equation... its when you put that together with others that the magic really happens (not to mention the musical maturity that learning how to play and work with others brings).

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2011, 07:01:43 PM »
Definatley.
Kid already is a monster.
Hopefully he stays humble and finds himself a group to play with, always a shame to see people like that with insane talent who are too self absorbed to put their ego aside enough to play with others.
After all, IMHO, mastering the instrument is only part of the equation... its when you put that together with others that the magic really happens (not to mention the musical maturity that learning how to play and work with others brings).

The kid's got some originals on his youtube channel as well. I really dig the jazzy stuff he's playing. He's better now than in that vid I posted which was a year or two old.

Not to sound egotistical but my problem has always been finding musicians of the same caliber as myself. I usually end up playing with inferior players as I only play as a hobby. Most good players take it much more serious than I do now, and have different goals than me, requiring more of a commitment than I can give. I still practice anywhere from and hour to 4 hours a day depending on my schedule but it's for personal enjoyment. Looking to start gigging again this winter. I got an offer to join a Dio cover band a few weeks ago and I may take them up on it.

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2011, 07:03:49 PM »
There's another guy here .. has youtubes .. I can't remember his name  :-\

That would probably be me...

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2011, 07:10:29 PM »
The kid's got some originals on his youtube channel as well. I really dig the jazzy stuff he's playing. He's better now than in that vid I posted which was a year or two old.

Not to sound egotistical but my problem has always been finding musicians of the same caliber as myself. I usually end up playing with inferior players as I only play as a hobby. Most good players take it much more serious than I do now, and have different goals than me, requiring more of a commitment than I can give. I still practice anywhere from and hour to 4 hours a day depending on my schedule but it's for personal enjoyment. Looking to start gigging again this winter. I got an offer to join a Dio cover band a few weeks ago and I may take them up on it.
Yeah thats the same problem I encountered. Finding people at the same committment level and playing level, the good players, like you said were a lot more serious than I could realistically be, and the rest, well... just werent up to par.
There was a time where I was in a band with some really exceptional players (we wrote and played a lot of melodic speed/thrash metal), everyone had the same mentallity, same goals, it was awesome, but alas, women and drugs reared there ugly head and claimed two of our players, and that shit ended way prematurely.  :-\

*Edit*
Since I just headed to school, I just sold of my VHT Pitbull head... it was fucking painful to let go. It took about 2 seconds to sell.  :-[

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2011, 07:23:28 PM »
Yeah thats the same problem I encountered. Finding people at the same committment level and playing level, the good players, like you said were a lot more serious than I could realistically be, and the rest, well... just werent up to par.
There was a time where I was in a band with some really exceptional players (we wrote and played a lot of melodic speed/thrash metal), everyone had the same mentallity, same goals, it was awesome, but alas, women and drugs reared there ugly head and claimed two of our players, and that shit ended way prematurely.  :-\

*Edit*
Since I just headed to school, I just sold of my VHT Pitbull head... it was fucking painful to let go. It took about 2 seconds to sell.  :-[

Damn, that sucks bro.

I have a hard time letting anything go, especially amps. But I miss my old HiWatt Custom 100  head I had from waaay back. Playing through a 5150 ii these days with my latest acquisition being the guitar in my av.

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2011, 07:38:09 PM »

That would probably be me...

Good vids man. Don't like sitting down and playing personally.

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2011, 08:14:51 PM »

that list however short it may be would include you  :-*

Yeah I can read a chart, but then playing the tune is another story! :p I don't have time these days to hone that skill, and the skill was picked up after I did a majority of my learning. But if in a crunch, I could probably do a decent job but Curtis Fuller I am not! *

there it's off my chest.

Interesting you say that. By the time I was 19 I had played my first tour of the US. By the time I was 22 I'd circled the US, been to all but 5 states (including Hawaii and Alaska) and nearly every providence. I've been on a few albums and been onstage with numerous guys, not really anyone you've heard of unless you're a blues nazi, but I've been there done that and have a drawer of the t-shirts I'll never wear. Kim Wilson, James Harman, Rick Estrin, Darrel Nulisch (sp?) and a few others I've shared the bill with or played with them at one time or another. Shit, I gave up that life over 5yrs ago.

*Trivia: rice cake to the person that can tell the story about Curtis Fuller reading charts, which is why I threw that line in there.

slicksta

• Getbig II
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2011, 08:25:36 PM »
Only one problem i have with these so-called metal shredders, and that is they seem to hide behind their overdrive/distortion. Hammer-ons, pull offs, finger tapping, arpeggios etc... sound really good with the aid of a noise box. Tell them to play the same licks on an acoustic guitar, & they fall over every time.
With the exception of Malmsteen, who can shred on either.

I know, i used to be one of them. I went through a metal shredding phase when i was younger, & eventually got bored with its one dimensional simplicity.

Jazz, classical, gypsy jazz, flamenco etc... utilizing ALL of your fingers (instead of a pick) while at the same time incorporating very complex chords, bass lines, as well as shredding a few licks/arpeggios in between etc... thats the REALLY hard stuff.

Took me years to realize this.

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2011, 09:47:20 PM »
This guy imo is a monster, the shit he plays with his fingers makes your jaw drop! his rhythym accenting is out of this world, he sounds like 3 guys playing (with percussion) if you close your eyes..

He gives so much soul to the songs he plays, all the little nuances from the original recordings are there!

Nirvana

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2011, 09:57:45 PM »
Yeah I can read a chart, but then playing the tune is another story! :p I don't have time these days to hone that skill, and the skill was picked up after I did a majority of my learning. But if in a crunch, I could probably do a decent job but Curtis Fuller I am not! *

Interesting you say that. By the time I was 19 I had played my first tour of the US. By the time I was 22 I'd circled the US, been to all but 5 states (including Hawaii and Alaska) and nearly every providence. I've been on a few albums and been onstage with numerous guys, not really anyone you've heard of unless you're a blues nazi, but I've been there done that and have a drawer of the t-shirts I'll never wear. Kim Wilson, James Harman, Rick Estrin, Darrel Nulisch (sp?) and a few others I've shared the bill with or played with them at one time or another. Shit, I gave up that life over 5yrs ago.

*Trivia: rice cake to the person that can tell the story about Curtis Fuller reading charts, which is why I threw that line in there.
name a song you wrote that I would know

Dr Kincaid

• Getbig III
  • Ice machine broken
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2011, 10:13:04 PM »

I am no blues Nazi but that's really impressive.
Who do you think is the best harp player outta that bunch?

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2011, 11:31:23 PM »

Story behind that was that all the other guitar players were like "Prince is going to play guitar with us on this song ::)...."

...so he stuck it their faces a bit.

not true.  they insisted he play the big solo, because george's relatives were against him playing on it.  They were extremely pleased with him performance in the end.

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2011, 11:47:44 PM »
Good vids man. Don't like sitting down and playing personally.

I have to, my back is fucked.

I've done my time. I agree with your earlier post. That's why I have a real job. Besides, most musicians are fucking pussies.

I like to fight, not bitch.

It is what it is. I do it for my own pleasure. I post on YT because I can. So they sponsor me. Wow. Makes me no money and I have no desire to teach.

I am a graduate of G.I.T Hollywood. Did my time teaching too. That's not what makes me happy.

I'm also a graphic artist and work for some pretty damn famous people, but I do it when I want, and that doesnt' pay the bills either.

Notice anything? All I am is a fucking copycat. No originality whatsoever. I don't have any of my own music.

Don't even care. Big deal.

I can go sit on Haight Street or Venice Beach and make bank. Ha.