Author Topic: What happened to dan Howard?  (Read 19302 times)

ronrico

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Re: What happened to dan Howard?
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2022, 03:56:57 PM »
Did Dan and Joe collaborate on the building of the equipment that went in the World gym that Joe owned in Panorama City? This was another great gym, and so easy to get a good workout in.
That gyms equipment seemed almost identical in design to the second World gyms equipment (Venice)

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2022, 03:31:14 PM »
Found this in my collection of old mags

ronrico

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2022, 06:44:32 PM »
Thanks JWB, some of those pieces in the picture look so familiar to the equipment in world gym 1 & 2 and the one in panorama city.
Great stuff thanks for the memories!!

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2022, 09:12:21 PM »
Thanks JWB, some of those pieces in the picture look so familiar to the equipment in world gym 1 & 2 and the one in panorama city.
Great stuff thanks for the memories!!
yeah I think Dan played a big role in the equipment in all those gyms… supposedly George Turners gym in St Louis had the same equipment also.

Flex Fitness definitely lifted the 45 leg press design as well as the humped leg curl.

WroldGym2

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2022, 01:31:28 PM »
I was one of the first to enroll in May 1979 and it actually was called "Dan Howards World Gym" in the beginning.
There were T-Shirts and shorts with the familiar World Gym Ape Logo selling in the front glass case, of which I bought and wore some.
Kal Szkalak was managing and the first summer it would usually be just Kal and I in the afternoons,after I was out of class, unfortunate for me, since Kal always wanted to use me as added ballast on some movement..
Kal actually had a notebook at the old Gold's, and in it was making sketches and notes of all the equipment, for Dan to duplicate at the Fountain Valley Gym his wife funded..and said he feared Joe would see him and kick him out of the gym for thieving his ideas..
And yes..Boyers equipment did pop up a little later..but it seemed heavily Arthur Jones influenced with cams and no one used it..in the picture of Dan thats Boyers BodyMaster Line in the lower right, gold in color.
Dan would usually be out back in overalls fabricating more pieces..it was a very quiet summer..

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2023, 10:58:02 AM »
there is an article on howard in the mag pic'd below.
F

Gym Rat

• Getbig V
  • Libturdz Love The Caulk
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2023, 10:31:07 AM »
This was a great thread to read, excellent!!

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2023, 06:41:26 PM »
Dan Howard was at the 1980 Mr Olympia in Sydney. He had a line of equipment he was promoting. He gave me several large prints of some of his equipment. I told my wife that I could build similar equipment. In 1981 I retired from teaching PE and rented a factory to make gym equipment. Dan favoured 2 X 2 inch steel hollow sections and I made most of my frames the same way. I had previously built a few pieces in a room at my gym in 1975. I acquired a mig welder, radial drill, cut off saw and a lathe and away I went, learning along the way. I never copied any equipment exactly and my policy was I would give away any equipment that was a copy. Quite the challenge designing and fabricating equipment. Early on I started using linear motion bearings for Smith Machines and leg presses. Those bearings solved the friction problem in the Smith Machine. The test was to lift the bar from the side weight holder. Previously, with chains and sprockets, that wasn’t possible. Dan used wheels on his leg press sleds but I never liked them partly for safety issues. Linear bearings delivered an almost frictionless movement.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2023, 07:32:55 PM »
Dan’s design for the 45 degree leg press influenced everyone. The vertical leg press was replaced and for good safety reasons. Dan used wheels but I saw an old hack squat in the gym I bought in 1971 that had the wheels flattened on two sides so they merely slid instead of rolling. I figured there had to be a better solution. This is where linear bearings helps. Trouble is they require absolute precision to make sure the guide rods are parallel and on the same plane. I used self-aligning linear bearings that allowed the heaviest loads. Also 1 1/2” chromed, induction hardened shafts. My apparatus allowed two options…laying flat or sitting. The seat was also on linear bearings so could be adjusted. I also installed shock absorbers as I hated users banging the weights.

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2023, 01:39:44 AM »
Dan Howard was at the 1980 Mr Olympia in Sydney. He had a line of equipment he was promoting. He gave me several large prints of some of his equipment. I told my wife that I could build similar equipment. In 1981 I retired from teaching PE and rented a factory to make gym equipment. Dan favoured 2 X 2 inch steel hollow sections and I made most of my frames the same way. I had previously built a few pieces in a room at my gym in 1975. I acquired a mig welder, radial drill, cut off saw and a lathe and away I went, learning along the way. I never copied any equipment exactly and my policy was I would give away any equipment that was a copy. Quite the challenge designing and fabricating equipment. Early on I started using linear motion bearings for Smith Machines and leg presses. Those bearings solved the friction problem in the Smith Machine. The test was to lift the bar from the side weight holder. Previously, with chains and sprockets, that wasn’t possible. Dan used wheels on his leg press sleds but I never liked them partly for safety issues. Linear bearings delivered an almost frictionless movement.

Having linear bearings on your weight stacks also set your equipment apart from other gyms in Sydney.

That must have cost a fortune though.